• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Santiako

That was absolutely fantastic.

I am glad Bill got a somewhat happy ending, even if she was stuck for 10 years mopping a horrifying hospital and got turned into a cyberman.

So we got no surprise regeneration, but the rumours were true - the Doctor doesn't want to change, so the Xmas Special is a parody of Its a Wonderful Life where the First Doctor shows him why he should embrace the change. Wonderful.

And I really don't know why this episode got middling reviews - I thought it was fantastic. In fact this two-parter is probably my favourite series finale we've gotten.

mclem

The Masters stabbing each other in the back was perfect.

That was a really good finale.

I did notice that they left it a little open as to whether Simm is immediately prior to Missy. It's quite possible that she is dead but is his real actual final incarnation.

Although... I still wouldn't be surprised - and certainly wouldn't be too upset - if she's still alive. Somehow.

I'm almost positive she's going to be the reason the Master regenerates into herself.

And the reason why she doesnt remember is because her past self couldn't retain the memory of the crossed timestreams. Now it all makes sense.

The Master has legit died so many times it doesnt matter.

He / She will always return.

Truth. This means almost nothing.

the Doctor doesn't want to change, so the Xmas Special is a parody of Its a Wonderful Life where the First Doctor shows him why he should embrace the change. Wonderful.

Really nice idea. I imagine then that at some point in the special, the Doctor will choose to go peacefully. In contrast to how it normally goes.

John Simm's Master didn't really have much of a reason to be there did he? A nice little "let's get the RTD audience back" thing.

Just Moffat tying up loose ends. He introduced a new regeneration of the Master with no origin, so before he goes, he's just wrapping that up by showing how it happened. Housekeeping along with a perfect excuse to bring back a fun character. It's win-win.

Sheroking

I did notice that they left it a little open as to whether Simm is immediately prior to Missy. It's quite possible that she is dead but is his real actual final incarnation.

Although... I still wouldn't be surprised - and certainly wouldn't be too upset - if she's still alive. Somehow.

The Master will "die" for good the same time Doctor Who is canceled and goes away forever, and probably only then.

Sooner or later, some writer will bring him/her back. It'll just probably not be Michelle Gomez.

So we got no surprise regeneration, but the rumours were true - the Doctor doesn't want to change, so the Xmas Special is a parody of Its a Wonderful Life where the First Doctor shows him why he should embrace the change. Wonderful.

And I really don't know why this episode got middling reviews - I thought it was fantastic. In fact this two-parter is probably my favourite series finale we've gotten.

Did it get middling reviews. The only site that didn't like it was Doctor Who TV

And whole everyone is entitled to their opinion, DCTV had been so ridiculously negative with their reviews lately

Did it get middling reviews. The only site that didn't like it was Doctor Who TV

And whole everyone is entitled to their opinion, DCTV had been so ridiculously negative with their reviews lately

Den of Geek, who have been very positive this series, seemed relatively meh on it in their spoiler-free review too.

Kind of bummed they couldnt have done something like he regenerated into the new doctor for a few seconds then popped back into Capaldi as he fights the change.

Would have been a cool way to reveal. Instead it will be a random press release or leak in a newspaper between now and xmas.

Incredible stuff. Capaldi really went all out here (although when does he never?) and it really hit the mark.

While he didn't do much, I enjoyed having Simm around again and his chemistry with Gomez makes me sad we'll never see more of them in the future. Although, perhaps having them in the same room together for too long is not the greatest idea.

Then there was the ending. Many of us knew Bradley would be appearing, myself included but his final lines, a contrast two 12's own earlier in the episode was an amazing moment.

I'll have to reevaluate how I truly feel about the episode when I give the season a rewatch down the line but my first thoughts are that this is probably my favourite ending two parter we've seen in new Who, right next to Moffat's very first, Pandorica/Big Bang. Quite poetic really.

I liked the finale. It was more character drama than over the top bombast like a lot of the finales since the series came back. I particularly enjoyed the interplay between the Master and Missy. It's almost a shame we probably won't see those two together again.

I'm sad to see Michelle Gomez leaving the role if indeed she's not appearing as Missy again - I think everything about her was perfect in the role. Couldn't have cast it better.

There's no way in hell Bill isn't the companion next series just like there was no way in hell she was going to stay a cyberman. If she ends up not turning human it could be interesting though, heck, could the two watery girls both be companions?

Episode was okay, I'm never too hot on scenes where the doctor's just blasting things with his screwdriver. Also teasing the regeneration in the arc then just having the Doctor stop it because of reasons is shitty Moffat 101.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Kind of bummed they couldnt have done something like he regenerated into the new doctor for a few seconds then popped back into Capaldi as he fights the change.

Would have been a cool way to reveal. Instead it will be a random press release or leak in a newspaper between now and xmas.

Yeah my main takeaway from this is there is no great venue to reveal 13 now

Santiako

There's no way in hell Bill isn't the companion next series just like there was no way in hell she was going to stay a cyberman. If she ends up not turning human it could be interesting though, heck, could the two watery girls both be companions?

Episode was okay, I'm never too hot on scenes where the doctor's just blasting things with his screwdriver.

She's not going to be the companion. Chibnall is going clean slate like Moffat did before him.

liquidtmd

Banned
* Doctor dead / not good on the floor

Pilot: 'I can do literally anything. Turn you human. Whatever. Wanna come see the universe?'

Bill: *sees Doctor on the floor* "...Sure why not!"

Sheroking

Well, we don't know for sure yet, but every indication is Chinball is scorching the earth and doing a soft reboot.

So this was probably one and done for Bill.

Slowdive

Banned
Really good episode.

Promo pic:

DDq3qrFW0AEsRjs.jpg:large

Pretty great episode. Full of emotion and even though plenty of action it wasn't all out and thoughtless. I know we have the xmas special but if this was Moffat's final ever Dr Who ep he would be going out on a very strong note.

He nailed the character, almost better than he's ever done before : /

liquidtmd

Banned
1 - Was it Bill who 'killed' him?

2 - It was nice to actually see a Doctor going down fighting on the battlefield so to speak. 9 died of ingesting the vortex, 10 sacrificed himself for Wilf, 11...well, I don't actually remember. I've never rewatched that one - my mind says he died as an old man sat in a room but something must have triggered it.

12? Regeneration prompted by taking on a battlefield full of Cybermen and shot by one. Swag.

1 - Was it Bill who 'killed' him?

2 - It was nice to actually see a Doctor going down fighting on the battlefield so to speak. 9 died of ingesting the vortex, 10 sacrificed himself for Wilf, 11...well, I don't actually remember. I've never rewatched that one - my mind says he died as an old man sat in a room but something must have triggered it.

12? Regeneration prompted by taking on a battlefield full of Cybermen and shot by one. Swag.

11 had no regenerations left, he was literally dying as an old man until Clara convinced the Timelords from the crack to help him, thus giving him a new set of regenerations.

I'm not sure if 12's was from the battlefield though, the actual start of it seems to have been either from the start where the Cyberman grabbed him or even earlier in the series, such as when he went blind.

Bill's exit this ep was amazing. People comparing it to Clara are missing the point of it though.

Clara died and then was brought back. She's still dying, but that moment only gets delayed until she chooses to die in exactly the same spot, same day, yada, yada, yada.

Bill on the other hand:
dies and rather then being some living dead type, goes through an outright rebirth. Superficially the same but there's a pretty massive shift in the focus there. Also, much better set-up then the big gear shift it wound up being in Hell Bent.

Top Bottom