• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag-my001

Needs more consistent naming. The green spaces all being Dalek names is great. Splitting up The End of Time is 1) lazy and 2) boggling (red and dark blue?).

Jail should be Stormcage (just as easy to escape) and Free Parking should be "Let's Kill Hitler".

Doctor-Who-11th-Doctor-Monopoly.jpg

pic1059160_md.jpg

From the previous board.

This had been rumoured for quite some time:

The BBC today announces that a special BBC TWO drama has been commissioned to mark the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who next year.

An Adventure In Space And Time will tell the story of the genesis of Doctor Who - first broadcast on 23 November 1963. Exploring all aspects of the longest-running science fiction series to date, the special one-off 90-minute drama will also look at the many personalities involved in bringing the series to life.

Written by Mark Gatiss, it is executive produced by current Doctor Who showrunner, Steven Moffat, and Caroline Skinner. The single drama was commissioned by Ben Stephenson Controller, Drama, and Janice Hadlow, Controller of BBC Two.

Mark Gatiss said: "This is the story of how an unlikely set of brilliant people created a true television original. And how an actor - William Hartnell - stereotyped in hard-man roles became a hero to millions of children. I've wanted to tell this story for more years than I can remember! To make it happen for Doctor Who's 50th birthday is quite simply a dream come true."

Steven Moffat, Executive Producer, said: “The story of Doctor Who is the story of television - so it's fitting in the anniversary year that we make our most important journey back in time to see how the TARDIS was launched.”

The production and transmission schedule will be confirmed next year, along with casting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/doctor-who-50.html

thegang.jpg

Who plays Billy?

mclem

Damn you, beat me to it!

If this is half as good as the various BBC4 docudramas about television, it'll be incredible.

Mr. Sam

Right - I've got a banner that I'm happy with and the rest is elementary. Leaving to see Ted (sorry!) in a minute but I'll hopefully have a new thread up by Saturday.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to consider this, but if they're making a TV movie about the early days of the program, mightn't some of those actors and recreated sets come in useful for appearances in actual (fictional) Doctor Who 50th anniversary stuff? If I were a producer, I might sell it as an efficient use of resources.

jesus you'd think they would want to, ya know, promote this thing and give people some time to get ready... at this point they're taking so long to announce it that people could potentially miss the opener

They generally only bother two weeks before. With iPlayer it doesn't really matter much if people miss it anymore.

All unoffical signs point towards the 25th.
The press info has come out for that week, and Doctor Who is nowhere to be seen. 1st September is the most likely scenario.
jesus you'd think they would want to, ya know, promote this thing and give people some time to get ready... at this point they're taking so long to announce it that people could potentially miss the opener
This is what the BBC do with literally every single TV show that they produce.
No one's going to miss a show because the time is announced two weeks beforehand as opposed to two months.

Looks like Matt Smith is going to stay on the show through at least 2014.

Of course that will make him the longest running Doctor of the new series.

Though I really like Matt Smith I hope he doesn't go much further, I think 3-4 years is a good amount of time for someone to play the Doctor.

Half of series seven this year, second half of it and first of series eight next year, finish that off early in 2014 and come back with a new Doctor later that year.

Gosh this splitting things up business is rubbish.

Goldrush

Quick

Banned
Disagree completely. I'm from the American Television way of thinking where I believe that a show and character should be milked for as long as possible.

Yeah, I still think it's weird getting a little over 20 episodes out of an actor/actress before they leave. That's a season's worth in American TV.

Canadian shows do, however, run somewhat similar episode numbers per season.

I finally got around to watching the Christopher Eccleston season/series of this show, and I loved it. I doubt I'll be able to latch onto Tennant the way I did to Eccleston, and I'm already afraid to keep going.

If he'll play him until at least 2014... meaning 2014 will be the first instance in which he possibly won't be The Doctor... he could leave this year.

EDIT: Wrong thread, curse Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom