• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroMG

the premise of Cybermen is scary-they take your still living brain and stick it in a robot body-that's truly disturbing. The problem is the Cybermen LOOK silly.

And unfortunately the only obvious solution is to make them look more human, but then they are pretty much Autons.

I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd love Gaiman to be Who's new showrunner. Doctor's Wife was such a love letter to the show.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Another one of those cartoon avatars. For whoever wants it.

J0EbQ.png

Original pic: http://toonseries.blogspot.com.br/2012/07/doctor-who-n11-doctor-who.html

the premise of Cybermen is scary-they take your still living brain and stick it in a robot body-that's truly disturbing. The problem is the Cybermen LOOK silly.

So do the Daleks. They still manage to scare the shit out of me. The Cybermen are written poorly on top of it.

I'm not denying that the Cybermen have potential.

I think the problem with the Cybermen is that fully utilising the potential of their concept would be a bit above what's appropriate for kids. It's very body horror.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just read that at Comic-Con, Moffat hand-waved the "TARDIS sound is the parking brake" as "River just messing with the Doctor". Claiming it got him in trouble. Gee, I wonder from who.

maharg

idspispopd
Sure. I just don't think I've ever seen a single bad thing said about that particular one. I didn't think it was immune, but it doesn't seem like anything I'd describe as having had a 'backlash'. River herself has got to be a bigger problem for angry who fans.

And I am reminded of why I dont go to major fan sites for anything. Or overly zealous fan discussions. At least the Who, Fringe, and Supernatural discussion on here is rather tame and balanced. Community "discussion" here is not balanced at all, and almost completely turned me off to the show, sadly. At least other things I love seem to be more rational.

I think the original cybermen were the scariest. Their tone of voice, creepy faces etc made them fucking terrifying. They could update the 'cyber' looking part of them to look less ridiculous but I think allowing the face to look semi-human would be the way to go.

This shit is the stuff of nightmares:

Tenth_Planet.jpg

I'd even allow them to move faster, albeit creepier. Like that weird kid of the grudge.

RetroMG

When was this mentioned? Journey's End?

Yes, at the very end. At that makes total sense to me, but then, so does the Doctor leaving the brakes on.

Also on the topic of creepy Cyberman:

cyber.jpg

acid_rain_by_arezendes.jpg

The top one is a bit too creepy, but I think the bottom one makes a nice balance between still human and not human enough.

RetroMG

Makes me think it's about to ask "Are you my mummy?".

I KNEW there was a reason it terrified me.

(BTW, from the earlier discussion about which monsters are scary, I never thought the Weeping Angels were scary, but the only DW monster that really creeps me out is The Empty Child. Well, and Doctor Ganger.)

I really think the need narrower faces to be scary again. The gas mask one posted earlier still doesn't do it for me.
Movement speeds need to be improved. Jumping/sprinting etc.
Weaponry needs to be vastly improved.

Oh, and they need to kill off someone important.

Ultimate troll would be Rory being cyberconverted into new cyberman and then he kills Amy. Legitimized Cybermen again.

gabbo

I really think the need narrower faces to be scary again. The gas mask one posted earlier still doesn't do it for me.
Movement speeds need to be improved. Jumping/sprinting etc.
Weaponry needs to be vastly improved.

Oh, and they need to kill off someone important.

Ultimate troll would be Rory being cyberconverted into new cyberman and then he kills Amy. Legitimized Cybermen again.

That would be deliciously evil

Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho
Casting news! An iconic star will be appearing in #DoctorWho and we’ve been granted permission to reveal who at midnight… See you at 00:00!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Benedict Cumberbatch as The Master.
It's the closest we'll get to a Sherlock crossover.

Patrick Stewart as The Master!

Patrick Stewart has expressed interest in the past about playing a role in doctor who, I think he would be amazing as a Time Lord or a member of another high importance race

Benedict Cumberbatch as The Master.
It's the closest we'll get to a Sherlock crossover.

I'd Love Benedict to get a role and he genuinely seems like he could fit as MS opposite his Sherlock is almost a Yang to the Ying of Matt Smiths Doctor.

It's just David Tennant.

If it is a return of Doc10 then id be happy.

Exciting, I wonder if we'll get any extended episodes this time, sometimes 45 minutes is just a little too rushed and they seem to be aiming big with these episodes.

I hope the talk of the Christmas script taking so long is because Moffat wants it to be as good as Amys introduction!

isny

napkin dispenser
Funny that you guys mention Patrick Stewart, because he had just pulled out of Fan Expo here in Toronto because he "booked his next role".

Glad I'm not going then. I did mention him due to his previous comments about wanting to do Who, so hopefully we do indeed get him, at least for the Christmas special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom