• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuzzy said:
He's also Crowley from Supernatural.

And Badger from Firefly.

And a bad guy in Chuck.

And Sterling in Leverage.

And the bad guy in the pilot of White Collar.

Pretty much every show I watch, Mark Sheppard shows up and guest stars in.

I'm really wondering how they're going to fit him in on Community, though.

O D I N

Fuzzy said:
He's also Crowley from Supernatural.

Haven't seen much of that show yet. :< I may have made it to episode three before my 'source' went AWOL on me. <,<

Incendiary said:
And Badger from Firefly.

And a bad guy in Chuck.

I know of these shows, but haven't seen yet. Except Firefly. I think it's time to rewatch that.

Juanadams said:
Anyone else doing a rewatch of series 5 to get ready for 6?

I've done the following:

Blink
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
11th Hour
time of angels/flesh and stone

Still have to watch Pandorica/Big Bang

infiniteloop said:
I've done the following:

Blink
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
11th Hour
time of angels/flesh and stone

Still have to watch Pandorica/Big Bang

Same here. My rewatch only consisted of moffat episodes. I should have gone back to amy's choice though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Incendiary said:
And Badger from Firefly.

And a bad guy in Chuck.

And Yellow Tie Russian Bad Guy in Season 5 of 24.

Was the Fire guy in season 1 of the X Files

Fire_1x11.jpg

Willy105 said:
I will attempt watching the first Doctor Who anything when the new season premieres on BBC America.

Smart move, or should I abort?

That's hard to say without having actually seen these new episodes. I get the impression that there is a certain amount you need to take with you from Season 5 to truly enjoy them as they are continuing a story arc.

I'd recommend watching Season/Series 5 personally.

O D I N

DoctorWho said:
That's hard to say without having actually seen these new episodes. I get the impression that there is a certain amount you need to take with you from Season 5 to truly enjoy them as they are continuing a story arc.

I agree;

Season/Series 5 does a mini reboot to the series, in that everything that's happened before Season 5 is still canon, but you don't really NEED to have seen it to watch 5.

All in my opinion of course.

Although by skipping Seasons/Series 1-4, you're missing out on Captain Jack. <3 <3 <3

/swoon

Willy105 said:
I will attempt watching the first Doctor Who anything when the new season premieres on BBC America.

Smart move, or should I abort?

Watch Series 5 at least. This new series will kick off with a story that will make zero sense to newcomers.

mclem

Green Scar said:
Watch Series 5 at least. This new series will kick off with a story that will make zero sense to newcomers.

Actually, don't count on that. Given the promo the series is getting in the US - it's certainly *sounding* like they're pushing it much harder than last year - it's reasonable to assume that this series is intended as a jumping-on point; else it's going to be tricky to *keep* people around.

That said, watch season 5. It's great. Bonus marks if you watch Blink, Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead beforehand; Those all help put season 5 in context.

isny

napkin dispenser
mclem said:
Actually, don't count on that. Given the promo the series is getting in the US - it's certainly *sounding* like they're pushing it much harder than last year - it's reasonable to assume that this series is intended as a jumping-on point; else it's going to be tricky to *keep* people around.

That said, watch season 5. It's great. Bonus marks if you watch Blink, Silence in the Library, Forest of the Dead, The Lodger, and The Pandorica Open/Big Bang beforehand; Those all help put season 5 in context.

Fixed.

The Lodger and Pandorica/Bang both need to be watched to understand much of S6. (Even more so than Blink and Forest)

I know this has probably been asked many times but if I were to show my friend selected episodes from Series 1-4, which episodes would you guys suggest. I was going to show the Series 1-4 episodes, then show all of Series 5.

Big Papa Husker said:
I know this has probably been asked many times but if I were to show my friend selected episodes from Series 1-4, which episodes would you guys suggest. I was going to show the Series 1-4 episodes, then show all of Series 5.
Read the OP. There is a list in it.

stupei

DoctorWho said:

I'd recommend starting with season/series 5 as well.

The premier for 6 really hits the ground running and doesn't slow down for much. There are plenty of concepts and characters being introduced that are genuinely new that it doesn't take much time for hand-holding or explaining when it comes to the already established cast. Very very very mildly spoilery summary of the beginning (from the screening):
The first 10 minutes move at an epic pace to establish what's been going on with Amy and Rory as well as what the Doctor's been up to and if you aren't already familiar enough with the ground rules of the show, I imagine it could be off-putting. Lots of jumping around in time and place, references to points on timelines, and River's first appearance doesn't even take a beat to explain or introduce her.
Not very newb friendly at all, honestly.

And honestly,
I can't imagine Rory's stuff having the right impact if you haven't seen series/season 5.

Big Papa Husker said:

To introduce someone new to Who, I would now show them all of Season 5 from that start, and then get them to go back and watch the bits from Season 1-4 they want to watch.

Starting with Rose is a terrible idea to try and get someone interested in the show

There is pretty much nothing in Season 5 that would ruin big reveals in 1-4. Even seeing River in S5 before she is introduced kinda works as her story is so damn wibbly wobbly

I guess maybe the awesomeness of Blink might be affected if you see the more powerful Angels beforehand? That's the only possible annoyance I can think of though.

Keyser Soze said:
To introduce someone new to Who, I would now show them all of Season 5 from that start, and then get them to go back and watch the bits from Season 1-4 they want to watch.

Starting with Rose is a terrible idea to try and get someone interested in the show

There is pretty much nothing in Season 5 that would ruin big reveals in 1-4. Even seeing River in S5 before she is introduced kinda works as her story is so damn wibbly wobbly

I guess maybe the awesomeness of Blink might be affected if you see the more powerful Angels beforehand? That's the only possible annoyance I can think of though.
I have to agree. Rose is an incredibly cheesy episode and most people I've shown it to are put off by it.

pnjtony

I've seen clips of S6 with Sontarans, Ood and Cybermen. They also make appearences briefly in S5 but showing those relevant episodes to someone new to Who may be beneficial so they have context of what those "monsters" are before S6. I don't think Moffet is planning on giving much back detail this series.

Keyser Soze said:
Starting with Rose is a terrible idea to try and get someone interested in the show.
It got me interested in the show and most of the people who tuned in back in 2005 and who never watched Doctor Who. It is the episode that proved Doctor Who was still relevant even if it is far from a crowning achievement in storytelling. A buddy of mine just marathoned through series 1-3 because of time off due to strep throat and had no problem starting from Rose. He is into sciene fiction though.

If you are just trying to get someone interested in Doctor Who who has no interest in it at all, who probably hates science fiction, then show them Blink. That's all they'll need to see. I never expected to get my wife into Doctor Who and she stumbled onto Blink and loved it. Then she started from Rose and went naturally through the series.

The great thing about DW is how stand alone just about every episode is, even the multi-arc episodes. You can tune in anytime and quickly get caught up in it.

VistraNorrez said:
It got me interested in the show and most of the people who tuned in back in 2005 and who never watched Doctor Who. It is the episode that proved Doctor Who was still relevant even if it is far from a crowning achievement in storytelling. A buddy of mine just marathoned through series 1-3 because of time off due to strep throat and had no problem starting from Rose. He is into sciene fiction though.

If you are just trying to get someone interested in Doctor Who who has no interest in it at all, who probably hates science fiction, then show them Blink. That's all they'll need to see. I never expected to get my wife into Doctor Who and she stumbled onto Blink and loved it. Then she started from Rose and went naturally through the series.

The great thing about DW is how stand alone just about every episode is, even the multi-arc episodes. You can tune in anytime and quickly get caught up in it.

Sadly, there are many who refuse to watch it because of that. Many people only watch things with long, complex mythology arcs and hate stand alone stuff. I agree with your point though, that for the most part the show is easy to jump into at any point. You just need basics about The Doctor and then you are fine to go anywhere really.

And yes, Blink is the one to show if you want to get people hooked. The problem is that it is all downhill from there.

Sheppard

Besides the prayer to the Doctor to make him awesome in the finale you did not like the Sound of Drums and The Last of the Time Lords?

Sheppard said:
Besides the prayer to the Doctor to make him awesome in the finale you did not like the Sound of Drums and The Last of the Time Lords?
The finale to part 3 was just fuckawesome until the prayer to the Doctor. From that moment and the "I forgive you." I was so pissed off the rest of it. The end to season three had one of the greatest build ups of any season, just to fall apart with people chanting "DOCTOR!" over and over again.

I tried rewatching it a few months ago, but knowing what was coming almost made it worse. It is one of the most infuriating endings to any season of anything for me. It is what made coming back for season 4 that much harder, and makes it very hard for me to get excited for anything RTD does EVER.

I loved Children of Earth, but knowing it was RTD and he did Last of the Time Lords, I just watched it the entire time thinking "Are you going to pull a fucking stupid ending out of your ass like you did in Doctor Who?"

It is just so maddening, because Utopia and Sound of Drums are just badass.

O D I N said:
So I'm maybe 6 or 8 episodes into Torchwood.

... When does this get better?
The first episode of season 1 is a lot of fun. But Torchwood is hit or miss. I liked it just because of Jack. But Children of Earth is really awesome stuff.

O D I N

So the census on Torchwood is...

-The main series is trash besides some episodes

-The mini-series is great

-Children of Earth=Good

-Captain Jack <3

I'll probably stick with it. But it's gonna take a while. @___@

Thanks everyone.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
O D I N said:
So I'm maybe 6 or 8 episodes into Torchwood.

... When does this get better?

There's some standout episodes. My problem Is that I didn't like the characters, even Jack got old. Gwen was the only character I really enjoyed.

I also didn't care much for Children of Earth. It was certainly better than the series but it did something that I really hated. Spoilering it as it's a pretty big thing, wouldn't read it if you haven't' seen.

Reteconning/shoehorning in Jack's Grandson just to kill him off. It was just a blatant attempt to elicit sympathy from the audience but it just came off as insulting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dr Zhivago said:
I don't think Jack's
grandson was a big leap. I'd always imagined he'd fathered loads of kids, but just outlived them all.

I would not have minded it had there been an establishment of that or even any hint at it through the series. But it was thrown in there just for a cheap emotional attachment at the end that made me feel like it was an insult to the viewers.

DrForester said:
I would not have minded it had there been an establishment of that or even any hint at it through the series. But it was thrown in there just for a cheap emotional attachment at the end that made me feel like it was an insult to the viewers.

That's RTD for you.

isny

napkin dispenser
O D I N said:
I need to remind myself to come back and read your spoiler when I get through the series. ;)

Odin, make sure you borrow some of the books too if you get a chance. They're hit and miss, just like the episodes, but there are some pretty good ones available out there! (Including the graphic novel Barrowman did)

O D I N

isny said:
Odin, make sure you borrow some of the books too if you get a chance. They're hit and miss, just like the episodes, but there are some pretty good ones available out there! (Including the graphic novel Barrowman did)

Oh really? (No, really) I didn't know there were any Torchwood books, much less a comic from Barrowman.

I've seen Doctor Who books, but was under the impression they were pretty bad. :-/

Thoughts/recommendations for which books?

isny

napkin dispenser
O D I N said:
Oh really? (No, really) I didn't know there were any Torchwood books, much less a comic from Barrowman.

I've seen Doctor Who books, but was under the impression they were pretty bad. :-/

Thoughts/recommendations for which books?

Risk Assessment and Skypoint are the ones I've read and would recommend. I also have Consequences in my backlog and have heard good things about it. (And it also has good reviews)

Most of the books can be picked up through a third party seller on Amazon.com or .co.uk for around $10 each. (And be Kindled for less)

Check with your local library though, they may carry them =)

O D I N

isny said:
Risk Assessment and Skypoint are the ones I've read and would recommend. I also have Consequences in my backlog and have heard good things about it. (And it also has good reviews)

Most of the books can be picked up through a third party seller on Amazon.com or .co.uk for around $10 each. (And be Kindled for less)

Check with your local library though, they may carry them =)

Roger, willco. Thank you, sir. :)

Tokubetsu

Just treat torchwood as a guilty pleasure. Even most of the "good" eps have something thats just complete shit about them. Whether it's the actual acting or lame ending etc. They're great if you're sick and on meds though. I've got a crush on Eve Myles. It was cool hearing her voice in DA2 haha.

mclem

DrForester said:

Wasn't it alluded to in Small Worlds?

O D I N

Tokubetsu said:
Just treat torchwood as a guilty pleasure. Even most of the "good" eps have something thats just complete shit about them. Whether it's the actual acting or lame ending etc. They're great if you're sick and on meds though. I've got a crush on Eve Myles. It was cool hearing her voice in DA2 haha.

She is pretty cute.

Weird. I'm just finishing up Torchwood myself before I saw the conversation here. I was actually just coming to ask what Starz's policy is for putting new content up on iTunes cuz I'm looking forward to Miracle Day but I don't get Starz. Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom