• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
:(

I was a bit surprised that they seemed so certain that the next series of SJA would be the last, but I guess they knew she was too ill to do any more.

sarah1.jpg

doctor-who-matt-smith-with-elisabeth-sladen-sarah-jane-smith-386960111.jpg

Myzer

RIP :(

Sarah Jane is one of the greatest memories of watching Doctor Who when I was a kid with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. She will be missed.

Like others have said didn't even know she was unwell, she seemed fine in the last season of Sarah Jane. Such a great loss, she really redefined the female companion on Dr Who from just someone who screams alot into someone who could handle themselves.

Myzer

DrForester said:
I am very very ignorant of old who.

Can someone suggest the "best of" for Sara Jane?

Genesis of the Daleks, Pyramids of Mars are a couple of my personal favourites from that era, but there are lots of great ones from her run the show.

tuffy

DrForester said:
I am very very ignorant of old who.

Can someone suggest the "best of" for Sara Jane?
I'll narrow it down to a few commonly-accepted classics:
  • The Time Warrior (Sarah Jane's introduction)
  • Planet of the Spiders
  • Genesis of the Daleks
  • Pyramids of Mars
  • The Brain of Morbius
  • The Seeds of Doom
  • The Hand of Fear (Sarah Jane's departure)

FnordChan

Terrible, terrible news. Sarah Jane was always my favorite companion and probably always will be. Elisabeth Sladen, rest in peace.

FnordChan

Jikagi

I just heard the news. I haven't really seen a lot episodes with her in them, but in the ones she was in, she was really good.
RIP :(

isny

napkin dispenser
Staccat0 said:
I never watched old who, but I cried a little for some reason. Death is so dumb. I liked her & k9 a lot on new who.

I almost got emotional as well. She was such an amazing person. The BBC release mentioned she's been ill for quite awhile, so it seems it must have just taken a turn for the worse in the past month.

I've been holding off on picking up the season sets of SJA, but will be sure to pick them up now for a Liz Sladen marathon. (Too bad S4 is not on DVD yet)

BTW

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/04/dwn190411204508-elisabeth-sladen-1948.html

According to this, almost a whole of season 5 for SJA had been filmed, so hopefully we'll get to see one last romp. (And lets hope they film one more extended episode as a doctor crossover ep dealing with her death. That would really be the best tribute to her)

If any of you are interested in purchasing the SJA, I'd encourage you to buy from Amazon.co.uk, as the sets are a much better value. (The DVD's will play on any PC DVD drive using VLC, or you can get an unlock code for almost all DVD players by Googling your players name/model)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I only ever watched the pilot and the first two episodes of SJA. I thought it was pretty stupid, but I might take one for the team in her memory.

Regulus Tera said:
I only ever watched the pilot and the first two episodes of SJA. I thought it was pretty stupid, but I might take one for the team in her memory.

The show gets a lot better as it goes on. It's no Doctor Who, but I think it matured into quite an enjoyable show in its own right.

isny

napkin dispenser
Regulus Tera said:

The episodes are very hit or miss, but the tone of the show changed quite a bit when Maria left and was replaced with Rani. (Not THE RANI, just an inside joke from RTD naming her that)

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
just read the news :( that blows, I never got around to watching the sja, and i'm quite young but my mum really enjoyed her in the old episodes, and I quite enjoyed her appearances in new who :(

mclem

I'm wondering how quickly they can add a tribute card in to the upcoming episode. I'd be shocked if there wasn't one already in place for Nick Courtney anyway.

There was a "For Verity" on Voyage of the Damned, but that had a whole month to put it in place. I'm also reminded of Screenwipe's kids telly episode, which managed to turn over an *extremely* moving tribute to Oliver Postgate when it happened to broadcast in the same week he died.

mclem said:
I'm wondering how quickly they can add a tribute card in to the upcoming episode. I'd be shocked if there wasn't one already in place for Nick Courtney anyway.

There was a "For Verity" on Voyage of the Damned, but that had a whole month to put it in place. I'm also reminded of Screenwipe's kids telly episode, which managed to turn over an *extremely* moving tribute to Oliver Postgate when it happened to broadcast in the same week he died.
From what I remember of Writer's Tale, it was fairly instant to get it added. Remember last year's episode was only delivered on the day of broadcast - they were driving round the country the week before the broadcast while the title sequence was being finished.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The show gets a lot better as it goes on. It's no Doctor Who, but I think it matured into quite an enjoyable show in its own right.

It gets better with every season. In some ways, it's more like Classic Who with 25-minute episodes and lots of running down corridors.

Tom Baker and Elizabeth were my introduction to Doctor Who-so I'm quite sad. To think she was ill all this time. On Facebook the official Doctor Who page features a picture of The Eleventh Doctor and Sarah Jane and I saw it had over 12,000 likes. She was well loved. Poor K9!

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Alan Sepinwall has a two part video interview with Matt Smith. Both videos are certainly worth checking out. Part 1 and Part 2. He'll also be interviewing Alex Kingston tomorrow and then Karen Gillan on Friday.

Also, the Sarah Jane news is terrible. I was looking forward to sitting down and watching the SJA this summer and now I'm even more encouraged to do so.

EDIT: This is just in from TV Line, Elisabeth Sladen will be acknowledged in the Series Six premiere on Saturday.

jdogmoney

I'm saddened to hear the terrible news, of course. I'm a new Whovian, only got into the series during Eccleston's run, but I went back and watched some of the older serials terrible, terrible news.

Speaking of things that make me want to cry, I watched Vincent and the Doctor today.

I think there's a bit, when the Doctor is explaining the monster to Vincent and Amy, where
Amy's reactions are a bit...wrong. Is it just my imagination?

trudderham said:
New screengrabs from recent trailers! One is from the game-changer scene, but don't worry, there are no spoilers :)

Added my two cents to it. Some might cry foul at the third pic not being a link and a warning of a spoiler.

trudderham said:
Really? The
Silents
have been plastered everywhere, they're hard to have missed. I've hid it though!
I know, but that stuff is tagged on most pages here. I personally am fine with it being out there, but some on here don't want any exposure. Better safe than sorry.

Apparently they had finished filming the finale of SJA as well as the first two stories, so its possible they may be able to show it as a mini-season. Sounds like there's going to be a special episode of Confidential as well.

Dr Zhivago said:
Apparently they had finished filming the finale of SJA as well as the first two stories, so its possible they may be able to show it as a mini-season. Sounds like there's going to be a special episode of Confidential as well.

There's a 15 minute tribute on the CBBC channel on Saturday, at 6:45 (between Who and Confidential).

And apparently there's a new style for Confidential. EXCITEMENT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom