• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
isny said:
Also, if 11
"regenerated" this episode, and from the trailers, we know there's another regeneration at some point, would this be the first time we see two regenerations in one season?

I'm not going to confirm or deny, but you will be surprised, even by that guess.

This season is such a stonker.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Galvanise_ said:
I'm not going to confirm or deny, but you will be surprised, even by that guess.

This season is such a stonker.

I'm still pretty new to the thread. Galv, how do you have such knowledge of what's to come? Have you been reading spoilers?

isny

napkin dispenser
Dark Knight said:
I'm still pretty new to the thread. Galv, how do you have such knowledge of what's to come? Have you been reading spoilers?

I've been reading spoilers and don't know as much as he is hinting he knows, so probably not.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Dark Knight said:
He's Arthur Darvill
VdvQh.gif

Ark

Dark Knight said:

Because Galv_ is magical and knows everything (I'm not even joking).

Dark Knight said:

I try to avoid spoilers, but unfortunately for me, I'm magnetised to them. Oh, and someone who has worked with this series let me in on a few. I literally couldn't resist.

Don't worry guys. I won't ever spoil things for you guys.

Even though I know several aspects of this series, I'm told I only know half the awesome. Given Doctor Who's nature, not knowing the other half is all the fun. For example I knew about the plot device of the most recent episode, but was then given some cryptic clues about later on in the season.

Doctor Who is the best format ever. Fucking anything can happen.

Excited I am.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Galvanise_ said:
I try to avoid spoilers, but unfortunately for me, I'm magnetised to them. Oh, and someone who has worked with this series let me in on a few. I literally couldn't resist.

Don't worry guys. I won't ever spoil things for you guys.

Even though I know several aspects of this series, I'm told I only know half the awesome. Given Doctor Who's nature, not knowing the other half is all the fun. For example I knew about the plot device of the most recent episode, but was then given some cryptic clues about later on in the season.

Doctor Who is the best format ever. Fucking anything can happen.

Excited I am.

Ah! Gotca.

Yeah, I normally love spoilers, but I try and avoid the ones for Who like the plague.

Sober

Eteric Rice said:
I just realized. If
the little girl is River Song. Then it means this.

In silence of the library, the Doctor first meets River Song (in her dying day) in a space suit.

If the little girl is River Song, then she first meets the Doctor while in a space suit.

It also means that the first day the Doctor meets River, she dies. The first time River meets the Doctor, he dies.
It's like coming full circle or something.
I don't think so.

I would assume the first time River meets the Doctor is not to have him killed; besides Doctor+200 says to the astronaut in 2011 "it's okay, it's me". Can't be her first time meeting him, much less asking her to kill him.

And there's the question, if River Song is from Earth, how does she end up in 50th century Stormcage for killing the Doctor?

A little behind (I waited so I could fast forward through the commercials) but I already love the flipped dynamic, where his friends know more than the Doctor himself does.

Mana Sin

Just finished watching about 10min ago...I don't know if the following should be spoiled or not, but if you're reading this, I think you would have the forethought to stop if you want to.

So is that room River and Rory were snooping in is the same room from that apartment episode, or a different one of the same make? This new alien race is spooky as all hell, I thought "Dementor!" when one of them killed Joy. What information, if any, do we have on them?

Regulus Tera said:
Now go back and start watching from Rose onwards.

Actually just start with An Unearthly Child.

I hate the episode 'Rose'. Terrible intro to Who.

Likewise to someone who has seen new Who, Hartnell's Doctor would be very very surprising. Baker is probably the one to try and jump into if you have an interest, but not a ridiculous fascination.

I actually watched every surviving episode of Who in the lead up to this series. There are positives to draw from every incarnation of the Doctor.

Am I alone in preferring the old Doctor Who theme to the Eccelston/Tennant Era theme? Smith's has grown on me, but I prefer the old slightly off-beat synth heavy crazy one.

watkinzez said:
The more I think about it, the more hilarious the Easter Island joke becomes.

Same, I got a good laugh out of that one.

Also Romo Lampkin! Fun Fact: I thought his character in BSG was blind for a few episodes.

Effect

Mana Sin said:
Just finished watching about 10min ago...I don't know if the following should be spoiled or not, but if you're reading this, I think you would have the forethought to stop if you want to.

So is that room River and Rory were snooping in is the same room from that apartment episode, or a different one of the same make? This new alien race is spooky as all hell, I thought "Dementor!" when one of them killed Joy. What information, if any, do we have on them?

Doctor Who is one of the very few shows that can honestly scare at times. The first time had to be the first Weeping Angel episode. That freaked me the hell out the first time I saw it. This episode did a number on me at times. Looking forward to seeing part 2 next week to fully form my opinion. So far I'm really enjoying it. Been waiting for the new seasons so I'm glad it wasn't a disappointment.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Even though it's been a few days, I still find myself looking up youtube videos and tributes to Elisabeth Sladen. And the last scene from School Reunion keeps coming up, but I still click it, and tear up at the "My Sarah Jane" line. I don't think I've been this much saddened by the passing of a celebrity in a very, very, long time.

RIP

Mana Sin said:

I thought of the same thing ever since they released the season previews/trailers. The similarity is striking, but given the information we have on both parties, they don't have anything in common, unless there's more to it than we already know.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i mean, the beginning of the episode. THE BEGINNING.

And then you're like WHAT?

And then you're like oh man that's rough.

and then you're like hahaha

and then you're like AHHHH AAAAAAAHHHHH dear lord that's creepy

and then you're like "awwwwww :("

And then you're like "Gasp" and then you're like whoa and then you're like GASP!

also, River and Amy seem to be having similar pains, is River ALSO...

ag-my001

1) Kinda hoping the "Amy Pond Intro" was just for this episode to get new viewers caught up. Fine for the first episode, but it seemed really out of place. I'm assuming this wasn't aired in the UK.

2) Re-watched the first bit. River fires once at the hat and five times at the astronaut. Good continuity. She also says "Of course not" when the bullets have no effect (other than the astronaut disappearing), giving a clue as to what may have happened at the end of the episode.

3) Fez sighted! Season long Easter-egg hunt?

Overall, this felt very much like a mid-season or season finale episode. I thought the Silents weren't quite scary as they could have been, mainly since the camera kept putting them in full frame shots. The quick sighting/cut with Rory at the end was much more effective than the bathroom scene.

Galvanise_ said:
I hate the episode 'Rose'. Terrible intro to Who.

Likewise to someone who has seen new Who, Hartnell's Doctor would be very very surprising. Baker is probably the one to try and jump into if you have an interest, but not a ridiculous fascination.

Pertwee or Baker are probably the best gateway points for a new fan to jump into the older stuff, although I really love Hartnell's version of the Doctor. Jumping right into Hartnell could be a bit of a shock for a lot of people, however. I would say to watch Pertwee or Baker first, and then go back and watch some Hartnell.

Am I alone in preferring the old Doctor Who theme to the Eccelston/Tennant Era theme? Smith's has grown on me, but I prefer the old slightly off-beat synth heavy crazy one.

Original theme is the best, but I really love the Eccleston/Tennant one, as well. I'm not huge on the Smith version.

I'd also say that I really love the 80s version of the theme.

S.Dedalus

WHAT THE BALLS DID I JUST WATCH

That was amazing! It's been a while since I've been genuinely frightened by Doctor Who. Those silents are scary--someone already mentioned a Slenderman vibe. Concept-wise, they're a lot like the angels (angels can't move when seen, people can't remember Silents when they're not looking).

Put me in the speculation boat that says
the kid in the space suit at the end is both River Song as well as Amy and Rory's kid.
It seems far-fetched but totally obvious at the same time. So excited to see how it all turns out, and can't believe I have to wait a whole stupid week for the next episode.

<3 Moffat

Sober

ag-my001 said:
2) Re-watched the first bit. River fires once at the hat and five times at the astronaut. Good continuity. She also says "Of course not" when the bullets have no effect (other than the astronaut disappearing), giving a clue as to what may have happened at the end of the episode.
BUT did you watch the preview!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom