• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

I'm so glad we're getting this on the same day in America.

I only have to stay out of this thread for a number of hours instead of two weeks after each episode! Hooray!

marrec

Banned
What a way to start the season.

I love
the American Gods vibe I'm getting from everything, like they steeped the whole of the Whoniverse in Americana.

Cannot wait for next week.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Here's a lot more evidence to the theory that the Silence has been showing up in random places all throughout Series 5.

EDIT: Just saw this on Tumblr and thought it'd be worth posting as well:

The Doctor appears in a Laurel and Hardy movie that Amy and Rory watch called The Flying Deuces. Interestingly, there are some parallels between this movie and some themes in the Impossible Astronaut.

The movie has a scene where the characters find a secret tunnel. Much like River did.

The characters escape the tunnel (which was collapsing) in a biplane. The Doctor says he has biplane lessons he is late for in 1911.

Digging a tad deeper:

One of the main themes in the movie is reincarnation. One of the characters ends up dying in the movie and comes back as what he wanted to be reincarnated as. Could showing this movie have been a hint that the Doctor was coming back?

The main characters were also saved from committing suicide. A possible hint that The Doctor is the astronaut and kills himself?

EDIT #2 - You can own a copy of that painting at the beginning of the show. No. Really.

Great opener. One little nit pick
The two African-American Secret Service Agents in Nixon's office. My problem is not with them, but in 69 we're talking about the first few gains of the Civil Rights movement. That and Nixon was an anti-semitic racist. Having two black dudes as Secret Service agents kind of took me out of that scene. America was still racist as hell back then, so it seemed kind of odd.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
GillianSeed79 said:
Great opener. One little nit pick
The two African-American Secret Service Agents in Nixon's office. My problem is not with them, but in 69 we're talking about the first few gains of the Civil Rights movement. That and Nixon was an anti-semitic racist. Having two black dudes as Secret Service agents kind of took me out of that scene. America was still racist as hell back then, so it seemed kind of odd.

somethingsomethingMarthaJonesinShakespeariantimessomethingsomething

The Girl in the Fireplace also had a black woman playing the part of a French aristocrat alongside Reinette Poisson.

Regulus Tera said:
somethingsomethingMarthaJonesinShakespeariantimessomethingsomething

The Girl in the Fireplace also had a black woman playing the part of a French aristocrat alongside Reinette Poisson.

I said it was a nitpick. It's just that they made this big deal about coming to America and that seems like a big detail to kind of overlook. I'm white btw.

Atrus

Gold Member
I've got to say that this series has some really disturbing aliens.

I thought the Weeping Angels were bad... but no, there's always something worse.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Spotless Mind said:
It's hard to pass any real judgment until i see the next part, but it sure was entertaining.

So i just went through all these moments and this person clearly wants to see what isn't there.

Yeah, I agree. It is interesting though. We'll see if that's at all close to being a legit and real thing.

Ashodin

Spotless Mind said:
It's hard to pass any real judgment until i see the next part, but it sure was entertaining.

So i just went through all these moments and this person clearly wants to see what isn't there.
i wish i could find a collage on youtube of those moments. i wanna judge for myself.

Moffat is a wonderful genius, but I have to say after watching that I'm more confused about timelines and possibilities and all that than I have been after any previous Doctor Who episode. What I love about Moffat is that he knows what he's doing and he always wraps up wibbly-wimey-wobbly-timey storylines well by the end of them, so that they all make sense. This one is confusing the hell out of me, I think the added River element is what's making it more of a headache. But I cannot wait for next week.

Mark Sheppard was also awesome, as always. It's nice to see him play a good guy for once.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
One of the lines that bothered me was when they met the 909 Doctor and boarded the Tardis, right after he shut it down and sat on his chair...
River: You have to trust us this time
Doctor: Trust you? But First of all, who are you? you're someone from my future guessing that, but who? Okay, why're you in prison who did you kill? Now I love a bad girl me, but trust you? seriously.

I felt like that was a silly line for the Doctor to say, especially at a moment like this, and after the recent River-related events from his timeline, like Silence in the Library where she met her demise trying to save him. I can't recall whether she told him she's his future wife or if his companions were the only ones aware of that, but at least he learned that his future self told her his real name. So even if she's still a mysterious character to him, "trust" shouldn't be one of the issues he has with her.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yes, just caught the second showing on the BBC America, that was most interesting, most interesting indeed, looking forward to next week.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jinfash said:
One of the lines that bothered was when they met the 909 Doctor and boarded the Tardis, right after he shut it down and sat on his chair...
Doctor: Trust you? But First of all, who are you? you're someone from my future guessing that, but who? Okay, why're you in prison who did you kill? Now I love a bad girl, but trust you? seriously.

I felt like that was a silly line for Doctor to say, especially at a moment like this, and after the recent events from his timeline, like where she met her demise. I can't recall whether she told him that they'll get married or if his companions were the only ones aware of that, but he at least learned that his future self told her his real name. So even if she's still a mysterious character to him, "trust" shouldn't be one of the issues he has with her.

The Doctor is always like that whenever someone is in a higher position than him. He just doesn't like to be bossed around.

stupei

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I'm interested to see where it goes, and the next episode looks cool, but I was hoping for more from the premier. I feel like Moffat relies too much on the same basic story elements, but that's nothing new. Overall: good, not great.

This episode was all set up. Big finish is next week; you should reserve actual judgement until then.

Eteric Rice

Discotheque said:
So what's up with the I'm pregnant stuff? If River's feeling the same stomach pains surely it can't be that.

I'm starting to think that when the Silent kills someone, they have to be replaced or something. That would explain the pregnancies.

diunxx

OMG Aero said:
Wait, really?
This is why I love GAF. Game devs and journos often post on the Gaming side and it turns out actors from Doctor Who post here too.

Typical pony avatar bearer level of intelligence.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Regulus Tera said:
The Doctor is always like that whenever someone is in a higher position than him. He just doesn't like to be bossed around.
Well that's interesting.

I'm not well versed or knowledgeable in Classic Who, but is it really a staple of his character that they needed to pay tribute to it? Any examples?

jdogmoney

Jinfash said:
Well that's interesting.

I'm not well versed or knowledgeable in Classic Who, but is it really a staple of his character that they needed to pay tribute to it? Any examples?

Well, it's more of an ego thing. Remember how he was all "I'm up here being clever and there's no one to stand around looking impressed"? Same basic principle.

Luckily, I wasn't able to watch it while I was watching the kid. That ep was terrifying. A kid may have still been brave enough to shake it off, but me...put it this way. After I saw the episode, I was getting out of my car and there was a balloon tied to a fence that I happened to catch a glimpse of out of the corner of my eye.

You better believe I was startled.

stupei said:
This episode was all set up. Big finish is next week; you should reserve actual judgement until then.

I won't judge the complete package until next week, but I'm judging this episode on its own merits. Yes, it's the set up, but I feel like it was moving way too slow at times, and it felt very much like Moffat was dropping back on many of his overused story elements.

I did like it, and I'm hopeful that next week will be awesome (the preview looked pretty cool), but I want to see Moffat doing different things in the future.

jdogmoney

I just want to say that the Silents, as a concept, are the scariest monsters I've ever seen in any work of anything ever. It prays upon my fear of losing my grip on reality. Nothing is scarier than losing my mind because without our minds, what do we have? And the Silents manage to make you alter your perception of the world, and they could be anywhere and you wouldn't know, and even if you see them it doesn't matter because you'll forget, and also they shoot you full of lightning and you explode.

Also, I think there's some merit to the Silents in season five, but some of those (Rory looking over his shoulder in the hospital) really do seem to be errors more than anything.

Ripclawe

Banned
Dark Knight said:
Here's a lot more evidence to the theory that the Silence has been showing up in random places all throughout Series 5.

Alright I looked at the 11th hour ones and its a stretch with the doctor hanging out the door it looks like he is just exasperated and Amy is having a OMG WTF WHY ME!!! moments instead of seeing something in the distance.

stupei

Ripclawe said:
Alright I looked at the 11th hour ones and its a stretch with the doctor hanging out the door it looks like he is just exasperated and Amy is having a OMG WTF WHY ME!!! moments instead of seeing something in the distance.

I think the Doctor one is a stretch but the Amy reaction shot seems pretty solid to me. The Silents are mentioned in that episode, so they were obviously already part of the plan. Not a stretch to imagine Karen was directed to react that way. Notice her expression changes completely to a neutral one the moment she turns back around to face the Doctor. It's literally a split second change to a totally different tone -- just like people in this episode.

marrec

Banned
Ripclawe said:
The one from The Lodger seems the most legit to me. Afterall I pretty sure The Lodger is already tied to Series 6.

I know I asked this a while back, but I don't think I ever got an answer. Does anyone know whether I'll be able to get Torchwood episodes this summer from somewhere like iTunes or Amazon? If so what would the release schedule be like? I don't get Starz and I'm really hoping I can get the episodes day after.

marrec said:
The one from The Lodger seems the most legit to me. Afterall I pretty sure The Lodger is already tied to Series 6.

Yeah that machine that River finds in this episode looked a lot like the spaceship thing in The Lodger episode on 'the second floor'.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Jinfash said:
One of the lines that bothered me was when they met the 909 Doctor and boarded the Tardis, right after he shut it down and sat on his chair...
Doctor: Trust you? But First of all, who are you? you're someone from my future guessing that, but who? Okay, why're you in prison who did you kill? Now I love a bad girl me, but trust you? seriously.

I felt like that was a silly line for the Doctor to say, especially at a moment like this, and after the recent River-related events from his timeline, like Silence in the Library where she met her demise trying to save him. I can't recall whether she told him she's his future wife or if his companions were the only ones aware of that, but at least he learned that his future self told her his real name. So even if she's still a mysterious character to him, "trust" shouldn't be one of the issues he has with her.

River told him at the end of The Big Bang that he was about to learn something awful about her the next time they met. It's quite right that the Doctor would be wary. After all, this version of River hasn't done the Pandorica yet and he doesn't know how "the truth" is going to be sprung on him and neither, at this point, does she.

Who is really firing on all cylinders. After the RTD years (mucho respect for getting the reboot off the ground being counted), all is right in the world. Moffat is just perfect for this. Smith's Doctor wonderfully manic. Pond amongst one of the best companions. Future so bright I gotta wear a fez.

GillianSeed79 said:
I said it was a nitpick. It's just that they made this big deal about coming to America and that seems like a big detail to kind of overlook. I'm white btw.

And if you were black it would be somehow uglier to point that out? smh But, yeah, dramatic license and all that.

stupei said:
I think the Doctor one is a stretch but the Amy reaction shot seems pretty solid to me. The Silents are mentioned in that episode, so they were obviously already part of the plan. Not a stretch to imagine Karen was directed to react that way. Notice her expression changes completely to a neutral one the moment she turns back around to face the Doctor. It's literally a split second change to a totally different tone -- just like people in this episode.
Yeah that doesn't work at all. Amy was simply having a moment of panic and she's always changing her inflection when she questions something. That has been a consistent aspect of Gillen's performance.

isny

napkin dispenser
Mana Sin said:
So is that room River and Rory were snooping in is the same room from that apartment episode

It's the same, given what we know.
(Someone who kills Timelords appears later in the series, and that James Corden's character comes back. Not only that, but The Lodger was the episode where Amy saw a Silence in the TARDIS)

Galvanise_ said:
I hate the episode 'Rose'. Terrible intro to Who.

I'd ask people to at least sit through the first few minutes, where Eccelston is introduced and the two end up running down the Thames in London, as it's a very grandoir way to introduce you to the Ninth. (And beautiful location shooting)

Jinfash said:
I thought of the same thing ever since they released the season previews/trailers. The similarity is striking, but given the information we have on both parties, they don't have anything in common, unless there's more to it than we already know.

See my post above =)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
marrec said:
No, I don't really buy the Lodger moment as stated there. There's a better one a few seconds eariler.

Also, note that ship tries to find a pilot via electrical connection to the hand.

maharg

idspispopd
Could people please not spoiler tag speculation? As is it's impossible to tell what's a spoiler and what's speculation, and there ARE real spoilers out there. If your speculation is based on spoilers somehow, please indicate that.

Dark Knight said:

Yeah, only one that really works out of these is the one in The Lodger. The rest are really really suspect. Actually, I'd also give a possible to the one in The Beast Below, but mostly because there's some seriously sinister music coming out of nowhere. But I think it more likely that it's supposed to be the Queen in her disguise.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Looking at that evidence of the silence being in series five, makes sense.. it is such a cleaver ingenious trick that Moffat would pull....he is a great writer, love the shows darker edge...never liked/got into classic who, but eccleston & Tennant era Who were/are massive shows for my little brother I watched them with him,They felt more light hearted... Russel T Davis has a great comedic edge to his writing..

Then Moffat takes over, New Who, New everything and a hell of a lot Darker in edge,

I love how Matt Smith has the Dark side like Eccleston and the Zany Side of Tennant,but makes it his own...
plus how they pull off showing what happend to Joy in the toilets and got passed the censors Wow.... plus River's Screamer comment...love the innuendo

I need to get the DVD's from my little bro now with Star Trek not on Tv I need a new show to fill the void.

Amir0x

Banned
My fiancee was totally bored and during the show whipped up these silly Doctor Who chocolates. They sorta look like David Tennant, Christopher Eccleston and Matt Smith anyhow

DoctorWhoLOL.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Amir0x said:
My fiancee was totally bored and during the show whipped up these silly Doctor Who chocolates. They sorta look like David Tennant, Christopher Eccleston and Matt Smith anyhow

IMG
Awesome man.. I wants some..how did they taste?

Raydeen

That was a bit overwhelming...especially after a day's drinking and a BBQ (Watched it at 2.00am in the morning on iPlayer). A bit too frantic and timey wimey, wibbly wobbly for a season opener - now I know why RTD made the season openers more lightweight, the brain needs time to get it's electrical activity going after going dormant for the previous 10 months of Britian's Got Talent, So You Think You Can Dance and a million other programs with Ant 'n Dec in.

7 days is too long to wait for the next installment!

Zenith

Banned
Why are people still using spolier tags? Next time an episode finishes airing I'm going to post every plot twist in it unspoilered so people can stop trashing the page with them.

I only just remembered that the FBI agent is meant to be the old guy with the gas can.

I understand like, they think "oh we can't tell the doc he died" but he obviously knows that he will because he prepares for it and sets everything up for it. Might as well tell him so he sticks to established events. :p

Furret

Banned
This topic is absolutely unreadable.

What are all the spoiler tags for?

Are you spoiler tagging speculation (which is idiotic) or have some of you seen episodes two?

Or are you spoilering episode one even though you were told not to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom