• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Birthday!

6410_gall_014.jpg

Nickiepoo

Heh, what a tumbleweed thread.

But hey, you can say that you were a forerunner to Who being popular on GAF (with a niche of us, anyway).

JonathanEx said:
To celebrate, I am wearing my Tom Baker-esque scarf, and have Matt Smith-esque hair and look.

The latter is permanent, mind.

I would have worn my 10th Doctor coat but it's 14 celsius here in Toronto.

Mr. Sam said:
In other news, you'll never guess what won Best Television Series at the Writers' Guild Awards last night! Well, it wasn't Doctor Who. It was Toby "Vampires of Venice" Whithouse's Being Human, which I'd recommend to older Who fans. Well, the second series at least.
I would start at Series 1 honestly. Series 2 was better, but a lot of what was happening would be quite odd without knowing all that happened in Series 1, especially the last scene of the Series 2 finale.

I was pleasantly surprised with Being Human. It looked like a cheesy sitcom cashing in on the Twilight craze in the previews, but upon watching it I found it quite good and surprising. And Series 2 was much better. The first Series is only 6 episodes, so it isn't too huge of a set back to watch it. Series 2 is only 8 episodes.

As for the Dark Horizons article that was linked, reading what the Neil Gaiman episode is about makes me wonder
if there is the remote possibility that we will see Death herself in the episode.
I know that is WAY out there to think about, but when I read the description and knowing Gaiman wrote it, that is the first thing I thought of. Now THAT would be awesome.

Rokam

Only one more DVD and I'm done with Series 5 :(, and sadly I don't have BBC America. Vincent and the Doctor was great. And still I must say Every Star Every Planet = Pure gold.

Nickiepoo

Looks like our work on 'The Pandorica Opens' just bagged us a Royal Television Society award in the 'Effects – Digital' category.

Well chuffed.

Nickiepoo said:
Looks like our work on 'The Pandorica Opens' just bagged us a Royal Television Society award in the 'Effects – Digital' category.

Well chuffed.

Congrats! Loved the Cyberman head stuff!

DoctorWho said:
Congrats! Loved the Cyberman head stuff!
That was great.

Just rewatched "The Eleventh Hour." Yeah, Series 5 kicked ass. I liked Eccelston and loved Tennant, but Moffatt at the helm and the great chemistry with Smith and Gillan makes Series 5 the best of the new Who by far.

My now unabashed love of Moffatt is making me want to go back and try Jekyll again. Is it worth it?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nickiepoo said:

Well chuffed.

I really wish you guys had worked on the OP sequence too. The quality difference is abysmal.

Mr. Sam

The Series 5 DVD is just under £40 on Amazon UK for a little while yet thanks to Black Friday.

And congratulations, Nickiepoo. Well deserved.

Mr. Sam

I feel uneasy giving such an accolade to an episode which really doesn't have much Doctor in it. I'd have to go with... The Doctor Dances.

Mr. Sam said:
I feel uneasy giving such an accolade to an episode which really doesn't have much Doctor in it. I'd have to go with... The Doctor Dances.
Doctor Dances is fantastic, but Blink is brilliant. It may not have much of the Doctor, but it is structured brilliantly and scary as hell to boot. Just a perfect episode, and turned on my unabashed love for Moffatt. After Blink, I went back and paid attention to all the episodes he wrote and realized all his stuff was awesome.

Lard

Banned
From io9.com

We've got a trio of very interesting hints about the upcoming series, two of which are even decently likely to be true. First up, Cybermen are reportedly being prepped for a return apperance - only not the Cybus imitators of the new series, but the original Mondasian bruisers of the classic series. (Yes, that's what I call them.) The specific post claims the Cybermen are being brought back "mummified" — and that may well fit in with the heavily rumored Egypt-set episode, which also may or may not feature Howard Carter. Steven Thompson, who wrote the middle episode of Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss's new Sherlock series, is reportedly writing the story, which may be either a one- or two-parter. Take this all with a generous grain of salt. [Life, the Universe, and Combom and Doctor Who Spoilers]

The next bit involves the opening, America-set two-parter written by Steven Moffat. This first episode reportedly involves an appearance by a future Doctor - not a future incarnation of the Doctor, mind, but a future 11th Doctor like the ones that show up in last series's "Flesh and Stone" and "The Big Bang." This reportedly involves the craziest timey-wimey stuff yet, and Amy learns something about the Doctor's future that River Song begs her to keep quiet. This might all play into earlier hints from Steven Moffat about Amy having a big secret and episode seven revealing "the true nature of [The Doctor's] relationship with Amy Pond." Take this one with a reasonably optimistic grain of salt.

Finally, let's go a little crazy. There's another rumor that, in the first episode, we see giant snakes emerge from a lake. Now, there are also photos of both River Song and Amy sporting weird marks on their arms. Taken together, some have speculated we could see an appearance from the Mara, a villain that appeared twice in the early 1980s. The Mara is a sort of incarnation of human desire and darkness, which takes the form of a snake and controls people through tattoos on their arms. There are some problems with this theory - beyond the fact that there's only a single unsubstantiated report to go on when it comes to there being snakes in the first place, there's the fact that River and Amy's marks look nothing like the snake tattoos Tegan sported in "Kinda" and "Snakedance." Also, executive producer Piers Wenger specifically pointed to this story as an example of the series preferring to create new monsters than bring back old ones. So, all things considered...take this one a highly dubious grain of salt.

God damn that big block of spoilered stuff.

I want to look.

EDIT: I did look and now I'm grinning at the thought of the first spoiler/rumor.

It's all re-cycled from the doctor who forum, from posters of various reliability.
The
Egypt
episode has been rumored for some time. The
cybermen
bit comes from a "my mate's mate who I met down the pub" rumor.
The second paragraph is the more likely,
think the first half of The Big Bang
. The bit about the
Mara
is lol worthy.

The second paragraph about
all the wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff gives me a geek woody. I LOVE when they get all crazy with the crossing over of time lines and whatnot like they did with Big Bang

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Nickiepoo said:

Well chuffed.

Just saw this now :) congrats

Eleventh Hour was longer than normal wasn't it? And I do wish certain sections of the fanbase would get over their obsession with
Mondas Cybermen

Lard

Banned
Dr Zhivago said:
Eleventh Hour was longer than normal wasn't it? And I do wish certain sections of the fanbase would get over their obsession with
Mondas Cybermen

Never.

Dr Zhivago said:
Mondas Cybermen
Eleventh Hour was longer than normal, yes.

Dr Zhivago said:
Mondas Cybermen

No.

But I do wish certain sections of the fanbase would get over their obsession with bringing back McGann.

In order to have
Mondas Cybermen
, you'd need an inordinate amount of exposition explaining who they are and why they're different to the other lot. Not worth it, just present them as
Cybermen
and leave it at that.

G-Fex

DoctorWho said:
No.

But I do wish certain sections of the fanbase would get over their obsession with bringing back McGann.

But but...Doctor Who weekly fridays on FOX followed by MANTIS would've been a awesome lineup in the 90's. We would've got americanized Cybermen, Daleks, and so on.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Need your help. Could someone with the DVD or BR of series 5 get me a nice screen grab of a good shot of the spitfires attacking the Daleks. I have to give a presentation about piston engines in aircraft, and want to make a Doctor Who joke :D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom