• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickiepoo

'narratively significant' seems about the right description. It's too bad, he deserved a better send-off.

Though I did love Dalton hamming it up, but I always love Dalton hamming it up.

G-Fex

karencatsuit.jpg

This looks like such a bad photoshop

Jak140

I just finished the fifth series and it was awesome aside from the lizard people two-parter and a few other quibbles. For one thing I thought the end of RTD reign would also mean the end of multiple deus ex machina plot contrivances in a single episode, however, Moffat put that perhaps naive hope to bed soundly. Did anyone else find the future Doctor freeing himself from the Pandorica despite the fact that he could not exist without freeing himself from the Pandorica in the first place a particularly egregious time travel paradox?

Nickiepoo

I'll still take egregious time travel paradox over 'rose becomes god', 'peoples wishes made the doctor grow young', and 'new doctor grows from a hand then presses a button to make the darleks spin around hey rose there's two of them now wink wink'.

But honestly, within the context of wibbly wobbly I didn't really have a problem with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
APZonerunner said:
For me (and for Gatiss on the DVD) it's the hunchback. I love the size, the colours, the new eyestalk - all of it, really - it's just that hunchback is horrible, goes against every prior shape of the Daleks and really destroys an otherwise great design.

The hunchback has a reason, if you look at design sketches - the back folds out (nonfunctioning on current design, might be accomplished with CGI) and the Dalek is meant to store other weapons back there, that can be accessed by ejecting the flap at the back. But it still looks crap.

they could easily get rid of the hunch, but keep everything else. Don't say anything and most people wouldn't even notice, except annoyed fans who would be happy.

Jintor

Jak140 said:
I just finished the fifth series and it was awesome aside from the lizard people two-parter and a few other quibbles. For one thing I thought the end of RTD reign would also mean the end of multiple deus ex machina plot contrivances in a single episode, however, Moffat put that perhaps naive hope to bed soundly. Did anyone else find the future Doctor freeing himself from the Pandorica despite the fact the that he could not exist without freeing himself from the Pandorica in the first place a particularly egregious time travel paradox?

The only reason all them paradoxes were even possible were because time/space were completely borked up the arse

Dr Zhivago said:
The time travel bits were OK, it was Amy wishing the Doctor back into existence that was weak.
Not as weak as the entire world speaking and thinking "Doctor" at the same time and he reverts back to the correct age and is a glowing, levitating figure of forgiveness that a laser screwdriver cannot harm.

Sorry, I loved the end to series 3 until that moment, and it nearly ruined all that came before it.

Furret

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Not as weak as the entire world speaking and thinking "Doctor" at the same time and he reverts back to the correct age and is a glowing, levitating figure of forgiveness that a laser screwdriver cannot harm.

Sorry, I loved the end to series 3 until that moment, and it nearly ruined all that came before it.

I don't think anyone's saying it's not still better than the end of series 3.

But the penultimate episode of series 5 was superb, some of the best Who ever. The finale was the worst episode of the series, after only the awful Silurian two-parter.

As has been said the whole Amy wishing him into existence because she'd be sucking up magic powers from the crack was lazy and silly writing almost on par with RTD.

The fact that the whole time paradox co-op at the beginning was ripped off from Bill and Ted seems a minor consideration in comparison.

Furret said:

But the penultimate episode of series 5 was superb, some of the best Who ever. The finale was the worst episode of the series, after only the awful Silurian two-parter.

As has been said the whole Amy wishing him into existence because she'd be sucking up magic powers from the crack was lazy and silly writing almost on par with RTD.

The fact that the whole time paradox co-op at the beginning was ripped off from Bill and Ted seems a minor consideration in comparison.
Oh, I didn't interpret it as people saying it was worse than series 3. I was just pointing out something that was worse to me. The end of series 3 still pisses me off to this day. I can watch the entire season except the last episode, because I remember how poorly it was done in that scene. The funny thing is, once the Doctor and the Master go away for their standoff alone, it is very well done. It is the glowing, floating Doctor of forgiveness that was so horrible.

I for one loved "The Big Bang" mainly because of the overlapping time travel aspects. The Amy willing the Doctor and the universe itself back into existence was hokey, but handled much better than RTD would have done, so it didn't bother be too greatly.

I will agree that "The Hungry Earth" and "Cold Blood" were the low points of series 5 though.

Mr. Sam

Since, at least, Blink, time in Who has not been a straight line. I took the circular logic as one of several hilarious time gags dispersed throughout the episode and didn't worry about it.

The dialogue was well written, as was the story. The episode was atmospheric and dark, as well as funny. The FX was also very, very impressive for a TV show. I can forgive Moffat playing with pseudoscience.

Jak140

Furret said:

oh i was definitely unhappy with that whole ending and everyone being killed and brought back to life. hence my complaint of multiple deus ex machina contrivences and moffat rtding it up. i mean come on - the pandorica is a prison that also happens to restore everything it touches and can bring amy back if a living version of her touches it? i thought they were past this.

Finally finished The Daleks' Master Plan' this weekend. The first 4-5 episodes are great, the final couple are good but there's an awful lot of filler in the middle. Has one of the greatest "non-monster" Who villains and those Daleks do have a genius for war.
"Just for once, (almost) everybody dies!"

8/10

Mr. Sam

I couldn't be bothered to Chrismafy my avatar this year. However, to coincide with the day The Doctor returns to our screens - and the day Santa Clause brings us presents - the OP was updated with this:

Mr. Sam said:
I couldn't be bothered to Chrismafy my avatar this year. However, to coincide with the day The Doctor returns to our screens - and the day Santa Clause brings us presents - the OP was updated with this:

The amount of detail and work put into the op is fantastic. I don't remember if I've mentioned it, but you really deserve the kudos.

Mr. Sam

I am pretty cool, yeah. As cool as bow ties? Well, it has been said.

I expect I'll be doing some fiddling and poking throughout the year to try and numb the pain of waiting for the series to start up. And I always need an excuse to put off writing essays and such.

Mr. Sam said:

Awesome.

Mr. Sam

infiniteloop said:
http://www.radiofreeskaro.com/http://www.radiofreeskaro.com/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ACC_dvd_br.jpg

There you go. Edit: Oh, you figured it out. Never mind.

Regulus Tera said:
That pirate patch makes you look like a LARPer.

Frankly, I'm not cool enough.

mightynine said:
Is there any guarantee it will?
What was the last special or stand alone Doctor Who that did not get bundled when the season or group of specials finished and came out?

Of course, which other Christmas specials were released separately and NOT in the next box set?

PhoncipleBone said:
What was the last special or stand alone Doctor Who that did not get bundled when the season or group of specials finished and came out?

Of course, which other Christmas specials were released separately and NOT in the next box set?
The Next Doctor was separate first.

DoctorWho said:
The Next Doctor was separate first.
First, but the same day "The End of Time" came out, a box set with all the specials came out. I learned my lesson with that. No stand alone specials for me. I will wait for the box.

I heard somewhere that the Christmas special wasn't going to be packed into the series release. Something to do with S6 being split into two parts.

Dr Zhivago said:
I heard somewhere that the Christmas special wasn't going to be packed into the series release. Something to do with S6 being split into two parts.
So wait until series 6 and 6.5 are out and buy the complete series 6 then?

It sounded like the two parts of s6 weren't going to be collected together. Hasn't the second part been referred to as series 7?

I just noticed BBC moved all their decent programs to BBC One HD for their simultaneous HD airing, and they don't have BBC One HD on the Sky EPG in Ireland.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I miss HD Karen already :/

No HD Jenkins :/ :/ :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom