• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here have Post Finasteride Syndrome?

StrongGuy

It's sometimes used in hormone therapy for transgender women. Also, that side effect list....

NufurIb.png

Beware.

Those are the milder symptoms, too. Finasteride can cause a ton of physical damage throughout your body such as bone loss, muscle loss, height loss, extreme neuropathic pain 24/7, constant head pressure, etc.

HarryKS

Recently started Finasteride. But the topical version. Side effect risks drastically reduced. More expensive, but God damn it's miraculous.

StrongGuy

Recently started Finasteride. But the topical version. Side effect risks drastically reduced. More expensive, but God damn it's miraculous.

May you have a side effect-free life.
Honestly, I would tell you to get off of it and that it's not worth it, but I wish you the best. People really don't appreciate the things they have until they lose it.

Last edited:

JoeP26

Neo Member
It's topical.
It can still get into your brain and sever your neurosteroid production. Things like Allopregnenolone, 17OH Allopregnenolone, 5a Dihydroprogesterone, 17OH Dihydroprogesterone, Androsterone, etc. that all bind to the GABA receptors the same way benzodiazepines do. We have guys in the group who used topical as well thinking that would save them and it didn't.

JoeP26

Neo Member
Consider carefully, gents, what you're blocking and do your due diligence in actually studying each individual metabolite. It's not just DHT you're blocking with this stuff.
G3QDRbU.jpg

Last edited:

HarryKS

It can still get into your brain and sever your neurosteroid production. Things like Allopregnenolone, 17OH Allopregnenolone, 5a Dihydroprogesterone, 17OH Dihydroprogesterone, Androsterone, etc. that all bind to the GABA receptors the same way benzodiazepines do. We have guys in the group who used topical as well thinking that would save them and it didn't.
Good luck.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I just started minoxidil and finasteride about a month ago, no side effects yet thank god.

I did quite a bit of research beforehand that made me feel like it was pretty low risk, so reading stuff like this sucks lol.

Hope you get better OP, thats terrifying.

I started losing my hair when I was like 25, I've been shaving my head for years now. I'm just over it I'm willing to risk it all for the dream of getting a haircut again.

Started microneedling the scalp & applying saw palmetto / stinging nettle.

Not shoving extra chemicals in my body if there's no guarantee it'll work.

oldpotatoman

Neo Member
I've been using a topical for awhile. I tried minoxidil on and off for a few years, including on my face, and it seemed to help some with zero side effects (there are people who claim even that causes rapid aging, feminized facial features, etc) and I'm not trying to get a hair transplant or have a mohawk any time soon. I figured I would try topical fin, actually a solution that has fin and min. Based on a lot of research (mostly idiots on reddit) I decided to try it on a lower less frequent dose and see what would happen.

So, IF there are side effects they are only good ones. I can't say this has anything to do with taking generic topical fin or not but my body composition, energy, erection quality and strength and all similar things are at an all time high. I take it 3-4 times per week and take regular min the other days. One application a day just in the thinning areas, not the 2x daily soaking of the head thing.

Last edited:
I've been on it multiple times. While on it, the side effects are subtle- brain fog, fatigue etc. that you may not even notice if you take it for a long period of time.

Every time I've gone off it, within a day or two as it leaves my system my libido goes into overdrive and then tapers off after a week.

I think it's my system being deprived of DHT for a long time and the receptors being overly sensitive to them when I go off.

Elcid

Banned
StrongGuy StrongGuy you still around?

O oldpotatoman if you want an natural and cheaper alternative to minoxidil, rosemary oil is just as if a pinch more effective than minoxidil

Last edited:

Elcid

Banned
shave your head and move on with your miserable life

buzzer goes zzzrp
While I agree with this, and do shave my head, my hair does grow back with the exception of the balding spots. So it's pretty fucking annoying to be constantly shaving. If it's going to grow anyways and I'm going to shave it anyways, why not experiment and see if you can grow the rest back? Buzzer goes zzzrp anyways. I'm trying natural supplements to see if there's any improvement, low risk, low effort, and the buzzer is still going to zzzrp anyways so 🤷‍♂️

oldpotatoman

Neo Member
StrongGuy StrongGuy you still around?

O oldpotatoman if you want an natural and cheaper alternative to minoxidil, rosemary oil is just as if a pinch more effective than minoxidil
Good info. I pay like $25-30 for a year supply of 5% minox, though. So is it really cheaper? Study uses 2%

Elcid

Banned
Good info. I pay like $25-30 for a year supply of 5% minox, though. So is it really cheaper? Study uses 2%
Crazies, some people pay that per month for minoxidil. Some people have complained about side effects too with minoxidil although I’ve never had any. Oh well more info for anyone interested

stn

I would never take any of these drugs, the risk is too much (for me, at least). I remember being prescribed Accutane years ago because I had awful and painful acne. After reading the medical waiver, I said "NOPE!" and just toughed it out. Took almost 15 years though.

Hair loss is shit, I'm sure, but I'd rather shave my head and exercise than mess with my body. I hope anyone here who is currently that stuff makes it out okay!

cb1997

Neophyte
Hey man , i got very similiar sympthoms to you. How are your sympthoms now? I too got the insane acne and increased hairloss.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That sounds crazy man, hope you're doing better.

I did minoxidil for like a couple years but was so annoying to use I ended up chosing baldness.

cb1997

Neophyte
I took 3 pills of finasteride several years ago and it changed my life forever.

My hair started falling out much faster, my scalp was itching 24/7, I was losing muscle mass everywhere, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis and osteoporosis, I was unable to eat anything, I had erectile dysfunction and I had insomnia. It was living hell.

At my worst point, most of my muscles broke down and couldn't support my back very well. There was so much pain everywhere in my body. I couldn't even leave my bed.
Miraculously, my bones stopped deteriorating and my cartilages are regrowing. My doctors told me it was a miracle and they've never seen anyone recover from osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.

I'm now doing better, but I still haven't fully recovered. I honestly don't think I'll ever fully recover.

I'm one of the worst cases of PFS. Does anyone else here have PFS?
Hey man i got the same sympthoms as you. The acne and the crazy hairloss. How are your sympthoms now?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I got a hair transplant 8 years ago and it still looks good, though I still shave it because I like a soft skull looks. I would never do a drug that shrinks my balls.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Starting shaving the old melon in my mid 20's and it was the best decision of my life. I now waste ZERO time thinking about fucking hair, hair loss, barbers, product, styles, grooming.

Crazy that some people's first reaction is to deny that a drug might have bad side effects. I dated a girl who's doctor wanted to put her on some drug (can't remember what for). She looked it up and found a facebook post from someone talking about how it gave them a rare permanent bladder condition. She ignored it and took the drug anyway--sure enough, she now has a painful nerve condition in her bladder that she has to live with. She has to listen to asmr at night to distract her from the pain enough to get to sleep.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Finasteride has done wonders for my hair and several of its side effects have actually been great for me, but yeah...I'm a post-op transsex woman who was basically born a eunuch and has no interest in dating or sex.

So yeah, for me...Finasteride has been awesome. It's almost a daily treat.

someone cakes GIF

However, men should avoid Finasteride completely. Don't even TOUCH a pill. I'm so sorry for all the negative effects you suffered under it, OP. :lollipop_pensive:

Last edited:
I asked my doctor about finasteride once and he said "no, don't do it, i am not a fan of that one and i've never perscribed it before."
My friend took it for a while and he said that everyone told him he was "PMSing" lol.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It sounds awful OP, but glad that you are recovering. I just decided to embrace my falling hair early in life. I still have enough hair left to pull off a hairdo, but once I turned 25 or so, I realized that I was balding, and I didn't want to lie to myself thinking I could avoid the inevitable, so I just shaved and hit the gym. It paid off tbh, and some women even fetishisize the look, which kinda weirded me out tbh. I am also vertically challenged, so you can say I am playing life on Legendary difficulty, but it really is all about confidence.

Top Bottom