• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Bungie know what they're doing with Destiny?

Nabbis

Neither does Destiny to be fair. You either play PvE, or you go into a separate mode to play PvP. There's no overlap. Unless you count that one mode that carries over your weapon and armour stats.

If the game suddenly made it so that i could attack players in the wilds on a whim, it would get a 10/10 from me. 11/10 if i get their stuff when they die.

Symbiotx

Neither does Destiny to be fair. You either play PvE, or you go into a separate mode to play PvP. There's no overlap. Unless you count that one mode that carries over your weapon and armour stats.

That one mode - Iron banner

They even out level advantages and damage/defense, but other things like weapon/armor perks still matter. Quicker revives, radar while ADS, rocket tracking, armor piercing, etc etc etc.

Euron

Those games don't offer the same experience at all. They don't have the overlap of pve and pvp that is a huge draw for many.
I think many people are still playing Destiny just because there's no other big game to play with your friends right now, especially on PS4. People are probably sick of Battlefield 4, not that many play Killzone, and Titanfall is pretty much the only other option on Xbox One.

It'll be interesting to see how the population is once more games release in November.

Amused at the fact that this thread is trending way higher than the OT.

I'm hoping that Bungie's going to offer an enormous amount of changes in the first expansion, similar to what Blizzard did with the RoS expansion--but I'm not holding my breath.

That one mode - Iron banner

They even out level advantages and damage/defense, but other things like weapon/armor perks still matter. Quicker revives, radar while ADS, rocket tracking, armor piercing, etc etc etc.

I'm pretty certain weapon/armor perks are applied in Crucible and not just Iron Banner. You can blind people inside Ward of Dawn, for example, if you have the ability activated on the Helm of Saint-14.

Leyasu

Banned
Those games don't offer the same experience at all. They don't have the overlap of pve and pvp that is a huge draw for many.

They have just gutted the autorifles... I was just in the tower watching a load of high level players miling around because they have nothing to do... Or just cant face sepics prime for the 40th time..

Like te person you replied to said, halo and cod are going to gut destinys player base..

Ramirez

They have just gutted the autorifles... I was just in the tower watching a load of high level players miling around because they have nothing to do... Or just cant face sepics prime for the 40th time..

Like te person you replied to said, halo and cod are going to gut destinys player base..

The AR nerf was very slight, what are you talking about?

FyreWulff

I'm pretty certain weapon/armor perks are applied in Crucible and not just Iron Banner. You can blind people inside Ward of Dawn, for example, if you have the ability activated on the Helm of Saint-14.

It's the damage that's equalized in crucible. All the perks still work, so it's this sort of weird attempt at making weapons balanced at each other while still letting people have CoD style perks.

Yep. Level differences are normalized in terms of base health and damage done, but class skills and weapon upgrades and armor upgrades still count, and thats in the normal PvP.

Iron Banner just adds those level differences back into the mix, or at least its supposed to, but it hasn't quite been tuned that way, so the differences aren't as stark between the modes as one would think.

Ramirez

I disagree, the range nerf was quite severe. Also, head shots are near useless now. This is in PVE I'm speaking of.

Which one? AR's should be garbage at range, Suros is still great, as is Epilogue, can't speak on all of them. The nerf did little to them in PVP though.

Given what Luke Smith stated in a recent interview with Kotaku it would seem like they don't.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/q-a-the-lead-designer-of-destinys-vault-of-glass-1647227058

Luke Smith: So to talk loosely about the final encounter for the raid, in the encounter, our goal was to have an encounter where each player in your raid needed to be able to do each job from the entire raid. So, to allow players to have some freedom over choosing or selecting who's going to do what job, while that's strategically interesting, and it's led to a bunch of really cool strategies, it actually doesn't align with the goal for the encounter. So that is an example of a case where we would make a change.

Kotaku: Okay, so you're talking about the fact that three people can get farther away from Atheon and always get teleported.

LS: Yeah.

Just from that I have the feeling the RAID is going to be updated to teleport people at random during the final encounter.

Tengrave

Watch the weekly update have a nod to this topic. "Oh by the way, we know what we are doing... You'll see it soon. See you next week guardians!" Less talk more rock!

Dream Wanderer

Neo Member
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

CoD, Master Chief collection etc. will probably pull some away from Destiny PvP. Those games have little pull for those of us only into the PvE though. So I wouldn't expect to see a big drop in people doing the strikes raids etc. Maybe as it gets further along and more hit 29-30 and decide to stop until the DLC.

Given what Luke Smith stated in a recent interview with Kotaku it would seem like they don't.

http://tmi.kotaku.com/q-a-the-lead-designer-of-destinys-vault-of-glass-1647227058

Just from that I have the feeling the RAID is going to be updated to teleport people at random during the final encounter.

When you make an encounter and force the 3 at the back to teleport you should also realize people will learn how it works and use it to their advantage.

If this is wrong and they do change it to random that is seriously dumb and I honestly think the developers are not planning encounters correctly.

K' Dash

I enjoy the game a lot but I hit level 29 and haven't got lucky with raid gear, and I'm done with all the missions, won't do them again,for a while.

Truant

Bungie are very competent, but they obviously dropped the ball with Destiny. It's not going to be the monumental landmark of a game they wanted. Poor word of mouth, middling reviews made sure of that. Now they're stuck with this thing, trying to figure out what they want to do with it, where to take it.

Consoles never had a WoW. I'm not talking specifically about an MMORPG, but a big watercooler online-connected game that will go on for ages, and that even your grandmother has heard of. I think Bungie wanted Destiny to be that game, but for some reason they screwed up on a lot of fronts and are now having to deal with re-focusing what's to come. I'm excited to see where they take it, but I'm also sad that they didn't get to make that game.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The problem is not relying on randomness to get your drops. That's literally the bread and butter of every online game ever. The problem is that the only thing that pops is your drop, so you have no idea what actually dropped for the group.

Having done some of Destiny's raids, it seems to me that at least 1-2 pieces of gear are in fact guaranteed to drop from every boss. They just might not drop *for you*. But it's important to understand that this is how most other games do it. The difference is that: a) Everyone gets a chance to see the item that dropped, and b) everyone gets a chance to roll on it, or pass.

On the surface this doesn't seem much different, but if you look deeper it is far superior.

1) Someone who gets the same drop again can pass on it, giving others the chance to get it.
2) When you're sitting there waiting and waiting to see what dropped, you aren't as disappointed, because at least you see a piece of epic loot instead of just some random crafting material.
3) If it is something you want, you at least feel like you have a chance at it, because you can roll on it. Instead of having the system just say "sorry, you don't get this".

But really this is just one problem with Destiny's endgame. The other problem is that there's just nothing to do. The raid is a fucking joke. It's not hardcore, and it's not hard. People were hyping it so intensely as the hardest experience they've ever done in a videogame. It's fucking garbage. You can go in with a random PUG and clear it in an hour. Oh, and there's only one raid. and you can only do it once a week.

Putting all this together, you can do endgame content in Destinyfor about an hour a week. There's nothing else. There's no other raids. There's no benefit to farming anything. When a WoW expansion is released they come with like 10 dungeons and 5+ raids. And the raids are challenging, even after you've beaten it once. That's how you do it.

But what are they gonna do? All the classes in Destiny are basically identical. How are you gonna make a challenging and dynamic encounter when your entire party composition is basically the same dude 5 times.

Nabbis

You seriously think people would risk losing their exotics in this game because someone sniped them while they were doing a patrol mission? Not happening.

Exotics ain't got shit on Abyssal whips.(When they first came out) Look, like i said, it was satire. But if you think about this seriously, it's been done before and it was awesome.

What are you talking about? You can see everyone's drops in the raid.

You just see "someone obtained X". You can't look at it, it doesn't pop up for you. And most of the time you aren't even paying attention, because you're looking in the top right corner at the icon of the shitty Ascendant Shard you got.

GoaThief

You just see "someone obtained X". You can't look at it, it doesn't pop up for you. And most of the time you aren't even paying attention, because you're looking in the top right corner at the icon of the shitty Ascendant Shard you got.
Man, I'd be happy with shards. You need tons and I'm lacking.

Energy on the other hand...

I think you greatly underestimate the potential of such a game. Runescapes wilderness was fantastic. Well yeah, i meant that as satire, but i would prefer that to the bounty reskins.

It would be nice if they implemented something akin to Borderland's duel system.
But really this is just one problem with Destiny's endgame. The other problem is that there's just nothing to do. The raid is a fucking joke. It's not hardcore, and it's not hard. People were hyping it so intensely as the hardest experience they've ever done in a videogame. It's fucking garbage. You can go in with a random PUG and clear it in an hour. Oh, and there's only one raid. and you can only do it once a week.

Putting all this together, you can do endgame content in Destinyfor about an hour a week. There's nothing else. There's no other raids. There's no benefit to farming anything. When a WoW expansion is released they come with like 10 dungeons and 5+ raids. And the raids are challenging, even after you've beaten it once. That's how you do it.

But what are they gonna do? All the classes in Destiny are basically identical. How are you gonna make a challenging and dynamic encounter when your entire party composition is basically the same dude 5 times.

Well said. When VoG first came out and I heard 14-16 completion times, I figured it would go down to 8-10 hours after people got used to it.

Amazing that it can be done in less than 2 hours now. That's like the amount of time it took some friends and I to beat the Phogoth strike when we were starting out.

even if it's unintended, is that necessarily a bad thing? as the saying goes, the best discoveries are found by accident. i think stuff like these embody the design behind the raid.

by all means, fix the boss so he doesn't fall off, but randomness each time would distill the roles players set for themselves and limit the weapons you can use during the fight.

No, the main diffference is those who are actively seeking out groups via third party methods are much more likely to be commited for the time required to complete the raid.

Many people using MM do so on a whim, and people who play content on a whim are much more likely to be less commited. You gwet peopel dropping out of pvp and strikes often, if that happend during a raid it would be problematic. And it would happen, a lot.

It would bring many players who don't understand the time commitment, how by working with the same team through the entire encoutner to build the rapour and synergy required to efficiently take down each new section is almost essential, and that teaching/learning new players every time someone drops out and MM replaces could make the experience a chore.

It would also open it up to griefing much more as players would be more inclined to grief if they didn't have to go through the process of seekign a group and speaking with people and actually engaging with them personally pre-raid.

The issues that MM brings could also turn people off of raid content. If MM matched an entire group of newbies who had no idea about time comittment, difficulty, etc... it could potentially sour the entire thing. Right now a newbie can find a group with people who are actually commited to learning, or include a person with experience to lead.

MM is not always a good idea. Other games have done it, sure, but they do bring with it their share of problems. On occassion you will find that one MM group that syncs up and creates a great experience, and for experienced raiders who need a 6th man quick it might be a good tool, but for many it will cause frustration.

A much better idea, imo, would be to enhance the social feautres in game. Give people flags so they can mark themselves as "looking for raid", then a search filter so you can find willing players to group with. Maybe an in game party board where you can leave messages looking for the type of players you'd like to group with, proximity chat in tower, etc... ways for you to actively search for a group in game.

Players with limited time could use these feautres to plan ahead and find likeminded players with similar schedules, it would eliminate players jumping in on a whim and all the issues MM brings.

EDIT: I'd like to say this isn't about mothering players, but about presenting a way to prepare for the content that would require a player to actively seek out a group. This act alone requires a little more commitment, and is a good base for the commitment required for the content when you're a new player.
Holy shit, someone who actually knows what they're talking about posted in this thread.

Holy shit, someone who actually knows what they're talking about posted in this thread.

i feel the same. it's certainly possible, but i don't think it'll work with the current lobby system. they'd need matchmaking to replicate that level of commitment and team building - at least to some degree

Tengrave

Except it will take DeeJ four paragraphs to say it.

That's absolutely true. I can't even think of how to mock up how that would look. That guy is a pro at writing fluff. I almost wish we could all band together to only submit 3 questions for mail bag so he wouldn't pick and choose the poor ones

pharmx

You seriously think people would risk losing their exotics in this game because someone sniped them while they were doing a patrol mission? Not happening.

Once upon a time, some mmorpg's had real consequences to dying, like losing your equipment. And I mean permanently, not just having to "repair" it. Of course sometimes you could recover it by finding your corpse and looting your own equipment back. Those same games had pk modes where you could attack and kill other players and loot their corpses and their equipment. It was always voluntary if you wanted to flag yourself as pk or not, unless you played on a PvP only server. Those days are long gone however.

Hzoltan69

Yeah, I'd like to see you PUG *HARD* mode in an hour...

In my opinion, the difficulty of the Raid is just perfect - it took us around 10 hours to clear for the first time, we had to learn the mechanics, the roles, the teamwork. 2nd run was 2-3 hours, now it's just a cakewalk. It has all the teamwork I expected going in and all the satisfaction of progress. You really feel getting better at it. For me, that's the whole point of the game. Now we are doing the same with hard mode. By the time we master it, the new DLC will be out with new content and another raid.

I agree, there's not nearly enough content in Destiny at the moment, but I still vastly prefer it's system of gradually adding new content in contrast to some MMO-s, where there's such an overwhelming amount of unnecessary content, that it puts me off right at the start.

Top Bottom