• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Bungie know what they're doing with Destiny?

What a load of shit.

They've done regular updates since Halo 2, which was released 10 years ago. Destiny has seen weekly updates. Releasing DLC is supporting the game, directly expanding on the existing content and adding more raids, which many praise as their favorite activity.
They never fixed the problems of the multiplayer: Superbouncing, buttonglitches, swipe sniping, standby modems, dummying etc

Blues1990

"What's the point in playing it?" was ringing through my mind when I had tried the game at a friends house. If anything, the beta should have been a giant red flag to anyone who played it as to what the final product would end up being.

MilkBeard

To be honest the people I have talked to in person think Destiny is shit. Not the shit, just shit. Now while some of them may be 'internet dwellers' who 'talk on message boards some of the day' a lot of them couldn't tell you what OS their computer was running, both groups still think Destiny is crap.

Also saying there is nothing with the game is a bit daft, if there was nothing wrong we wouldn't have 100 threads about it a week. It's not the game it was sold as, ie. the freaking story for one.
I never said there wasn't anything wrong with it, if you read my quotes I say it has some things that could have been improved or done better. But the focus on negative aspects of Destiny is completely overblown in my opinion.

The loot mechanic in this game pisses me off to no end, but damn if it isn't also the reason I keep coming back. Finished the raid with two characters yesterday: my Titan found a Shotgun and my Warlock found boots and a Sniper Rifle. I can't complain, but I also received the Chatterwhite shader twice, in addition to last week. Game should really start taking into account what you have in your inventory and vault.

Also, Raid completion should net you at least a piece of Raid gear or an Exotic weapon. The moment Atheon goes down, let the game calculate if you've completed the rest of the Raid that week or just joined in for the boss. If it's the former, just give something guaranteed: destroying the Conflux of Time and being rewarded with some Ascendant Energy is just bullshit.

Destiny is the strangest game I've played. It's obnoxious, infuriating and, more often than not, totally unfair, but it's also incredibly fun. Bungie still knows how to make good combat.

Nah, the way their game makes connections is just incredibly shitty. I couldn't play the game for over a week when it came out because I'd get constant centipede errors. Now they've fixed those, but insodoing have awakened the wrath of the zebra bug, which hits a lot of people once or twice a day.

really love the bolded comment.

my internet is great for online gaming, but destiny kicks me off at least twice a day and the multiplayer is as laggy as it's always been. those damn baboons, man.

how can anyone complain about the nerf of the mythoclast (or autorifles in general) with a straight face?

auto rifles were overdue for a nerf.
scout rifles were perfect and didn't need a buff, but now the two have simply switched places.
and the mythoclast is no longer a desirable reward for completing the hard mode. they didn't rebalance it like they would any other exotic. they just made it useless.

Matriox

I have a hard time understanding how anyone could think public events are good. There's nothing good about them from I experienced. They're nothing but boring scripted events on set timers :/

"defend this fallen satelite because reasons"

"kill this enemy who is out for a jog with infinity shield because reasons"

"stop them from mining this patch of dirt because reasons"

I was thinking this would be similar to the MMO Rift where random events would spawn and people could level up/grind rep/gear up that way, but was just a rare event that you sort of just wanted to do once for the daily.

My issue with Destiny is that I lose my patience to PvP because load screens take forever, and I have a "whats the point" feeling when it comes to grinding reputations/strikes through pve. I just don't feel like theres enough to do for a PvE game and I'd rather play a dedicated PvP game with better load screens. Shrugs, destiny was massively disappointing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Vanilla Diablo 3 had serious issues, and despite the core gameplay being solid, there were issues with balance there as well.

The team kept nerfing great tactics, which made the game less fun.

Fast forward to now. I've given up on Destiny for largely the same reasons I gave up on Diablo 3. Hearing that D3 had improved since Vanilla, I picked up Ultimate Evil Edition.

WOW. THIS is how you make a loot game. GOD DAMN it's great. Classes have been rebalanced to reintroduce fun builds that challenge you to push into higher difficulty levels to see what you're actually able to handle. Overpowered builds suddenly start to show holes in specific situations. Other builds become viable all of a sudden. Loot is plentiful, but not everything is a legendary. Getting great loot is still worth celebrating.

My biggest problem with Destiny's loot is a serious problem with how they built the loot tables. Here's what I mean:

In Diablo, from every level from 1-70, there is gear that appears in the common, uncommon, rare and legendary tiers. A good rare at 65 might finally replace a legendary you got at 45. You lose that cool secondary ability the legendary had, but the rare just has better base stats. Tough decisions need to be made. Suddenly you're not sure if you want to upgrade, because it's not an upgrade across the board. You gain life per second, but lose the ability to summon a ghost to fight by your side when you kill an enemy.

Destiny's loot tiers are based on levels. After Level 15, you will never get a green that is worth your time. After 20, no rare is worth your time. Now you can ONLY get legendaries to upgrade. Rare guns cap at 242 damage. No blue weapon will ever be an upgrade for you once you have appropriate gear for 20. There is no other option. There are no tough choices. There is only either crap, and direct upgrade. Suddenly, just by seeing the color of the gear that dropped, you know it's useless to you. There's no suspense. There's no excitement in maybe getting an upgrade.

This is exacerbated by the quick leveling. 1-20 goes by in a flash. You spend very little time getting direct upgrades and interesting variations on gear. Once you hit 20, your focus is largely singular: legendaries (or exotics). You also only have 7 (one entirely cosmetic) slots to fill with gear, instead of Diablo's 13. That also limits your chances to find an upgrade. 6 slots to upgrade, and only one tier of loot that will ever be an upgrade for any of it. That limits your choices really quickly.

Bungie needs to sit down with a game like Reaper of Souls and see how loot should be balanced between drops, crafting, and mysterious unidentified items.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
really love the bolded comment.

my internet is great for online gaming, but destiny kicks me off at least twice a day and the multiplayer is as laggy as it's always been. those damn baboons, man.
The quote is golden. I must be lucky, out of all the complaints I might have for the game connectifity is not one of them. I've dropped connection once the entire time I played.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Everything was fine and dandy before yesterday when the Bungie decided to nerf Pocket Infinity. I was just grinding this gun the last couple of days to get the 8 shot auto and you know what? I finished of a Walker with the perk get kicked when I go in the orbit, log back in, download patch and... the perk has been fucking nerfed?!

tripple-h-is-not-happy.gif

What kinda bullshit is that?
Also, I really don't understand why they nerfed the Vex Mythoclast as well. What's the point in doing the hard raid now?

OP is right, Bungie isn't thinking this through really. I had load of fun with this game but I'm not sure how much longer it will be able to keep my attention.

I have a feeling they will keep nerfing every exotic the community complains about until exotics are useless. The Vex Mythoclast is useless now.

Yup they know exactly what they are doing. They made me forget about Destiny and instead waste my time on other worthwhile games out right now in the market.

Ashler

If I had to choose one thin that Bungie seriously needs to do ASAP is get a god damned matchmaking system in place for raids and weekly/nightfall.

It seriously pisses me off not being able to go into a raid without having to manage or tackle availability of 5 other people on my friends list. I get that it's supposed to be a team effort event and all that, but why not let us just try if with 'randoms' if we can actually pull it off?

Right now Destiny feels like a directionless ship.

Hopefully all the feedback they got will give them ideas and we will start to see that in the DLC.

I am reminded of Borderlands 1 in a lot of ways.

People hammered that game for the lack of story and presentation but as the DLC's went on they got more and more involved with that stuff. Eventually the last one or two had decent cut scenes and spoken dialogue instead of text and then Borderlands 2 came out and had all that stuff.

Destiny has a few more issues then the lack of story though.

Really the only thing that game has going for it is the core gameplay, the art direction and the music. Everything else needs a rethink.

Mindwipe

Solid post, and solid criticisms.

You should tweet this to DeeJ.

I can't think of anything less useful.

You should start thinking of DeeJ as a firewall. He's there to absorb the ire of displeased customers so it doesn't reach anyone involved with making any decisions, and feed back junk data in response.

Look at that podcast the other day. An hour and twenty minutes of literally saying nothing is very impressive. Bungie need to start talking about what they're going to do to start fixing the game in the medium term, and they need to start talking now, because the only conclusion customers can make otherwise is that it's going to stay this bad and they're just trying to eek out DLC profits in the meantime.

I mean, not even basic shit like committing to making Grimoire cards easier to read (by either not having the world's worst web interface or by having them in game). That's not a "fix" for Destiny's story problems. Cards are a terrible storytelling mechanic. People keep suggesting it because it's a very quick hotfix for a dismal area of the game, and Bungie should have already done it, and now be working on some much more fundamental revisions.

The quote is golden. I must be lucky, out of all the complaints I might have for the game connectifity is not one of them. I've dropped connection once the entire time I played.

I just logged in and got slapped with a zebra error before I even got to the lobby screen.

so nerfing the auto rifles is that just for multi or whole game?
The benefit of joining PvP and PvE at the hip.

Also why I'm starting to think Diablo 3's turnaround isn't the perfect template for Destiny. D3 didn't have to worry about PvP in their changes, and that's not a luxury that Bungie has. They've chosen the harder road.

MilkBeard

WOW. THIS is how you make a loot game. GOD DAMN it's great. Classes have been rebalanced to reintroduce fun builds that challenge you to push into higher difficulty levels to see what you're actually able to handle. Overpowered builds suddenly start to show holes in specific situations. Other builds become viable all of a sudden. Loot is plentiful, but not everything is a legendary. Getting great loot is still worth celebrating.

I've been thinking about picking up Diablo III since I got PS plus and after they've fixed a few things and had the expansion. It's good to hear that the game has been made better and I'm seriously considering jumping into it. I like games with loot and leveling, and I'm not really even at odds with Destiny's loot game, even though I do feel it is sparse (if they had much more variety it would help the game quite a bit).

Might give Diablo III a try.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been thinking about picking up Diablo III since I got PS plus and after they've fixed a few things and had the expansion. It's good to hear that the game has been made better and I'm seriously considering jumping into it. I like games with loot and leveling, and I'm not really even at odds with Destiny's loot game, even though I do feel it is sparse (if they had much more variety it would help the game quite a bit).

Might give Diablo III a try.

I played about 400 hours (I know...) of Vanilla on PC, and in the end, had to give up on the horrible loot and uninteresting ability runes. It's vastly improved now. They've also improved paragon leveling, made it infinite and added the ability to spec points into stats like Life Per Second and Resist All each paragon level you reach. On top of that, your paragon level carries over to new characters you create!

If you compare Vanilla D3 to D3 now, it's quite obvious that the team in charge now understands the Diablo audience far far better than the original ever did.

SURGEdude

Not sure why this is surprising, each Halo took about 5 steps back.

Bungie likes to make the worst game possible while living off their name from their one great game from 13 years ago. They know exactly what they're doing

Hey now Myth 1+2 and the Marathon games were amazing too. Console only Bungie did peak with Halo 1+2 tho.

Skele7on

Banned
Destiny is a rage inducing drug that I can't get enough of.

I haven't felt as much passion for a game since Halo 2.

The amazing highs, the devastating lows, Bungie do care, they really do.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Whole game.

The benefit of joining PvP and PvE at the hip.

Also why I'm starting to think Diablo 3's turnaround isn't the perfect template for Destiny. D3 didn't have to worry about PvP in their changes, and that's not a luxury that Bungie has. They've chosen the harder road.

hmmm my favorite 'good' gun is the SUROS and tbh I only ever played multi to get the bad juju but it only has a 15 mag...

Cob32

If I had to choose one thin that Bungie seriously needs to do ASAP is get a god damned matchmaking system in place for raids and weekly/nightfall.

It seriously pisses me off not being able to go into a raid without having to manage or tackle availability of 5 other people on my friends list. I get that it's supposed to be a team effort event and all that, but why not let us just try if with 'randoms' if we can actually pull it off?

I would even just take nightfall and weekly matchmaking at this point. I understand they dont want a match made team beating their raid.

FyreWulff

They never fixed the problems of the multiplayer: Superbouncing

Havok engine bug they couldn't fix

buttonglitches

animation system bug they couldn't fix. And now MS considers them canon, so that's no longer a bug! /s

swipe sniping

Inherent issue from the networking model of the day

standby modems

largely fixed in 1.5

dummying etc

Dummying was patched out.

Bungie never supported their games properly after launch. Its no suprise Destiny is no exception, especially since 2 DLCs and the Sequel are already in development

They released constant DLC, issued monthly matchmaking updates. Halo 3 had monthly matchmaking updates and special event playlists. In Reach, due to their new engine, they created and gave out new gametypes for free to the entire playerbase. Ever since 343 took over, every new gametype has been gated behind a paywall in Halo. They title updated Halo 2 at least 3 times, title updated Halo 3 2 or 3 times, and the reason they didn't title update Reach was due to MS wanting to push their own TU per contract.

I would even just take nightfall and weekly matchmaking at this point. I understand they dont want a match made team beating their raid.
No matchmaking would make a tidbit more sense if there were other six-player fireteam activities that did have the option of matchmaking. That way you could play the game over a period of time and develop a team for raiding.

Whenever I played through Destiny we almost always had a team of three ready to go, and that was great. But then the raid comes along and requires six, and we didn't have any experience playing with a larger team and other players. We didn't have that experience because we didn't need to, and never had the opportunity to beforehand.

Its just another example of weird design decisions that seem to have been considered in a vacuum.

Calabi

It sounds like Bungie are more focused on exploiting and managing their consumers, than making a fun game. I guess its what development is turning into these days. They free to play dynamics, get people into the cycle of compulsively addictive, playing. That's what I seem to hear from most people.

I wish they could have done episodic content like a TV series does it. But that would mean they would have to get the voice acting / mocap etc. much earlier in development. Given the kind of content we're getting now in Destiny it seems they never had that in mind when they were thinking of their 'grand plan' for this game. They just wanted to make a game you're supposed to play over and over....more akin to the Diablo series and not really anything where storyline / world/universe building is the focus.

It worked in Diablo, so why is it not working here? I think it's really because they didn't anticipate how fast people could chew through the content, so they've had to make the items less accessible, to basically give you a reason to keep on playing it for such a long, long time. It's a damn shame but i think it's really because of the narrative they were giving about this game being a '10 year plan' and how it would be so vast or expansive. It wasn't like that at all and what we have here basically is just as good as your yearly Call of Duty release, set in space with science fiction elements. In any other context that would be 'awesome!' but with the added expectations they created by saying how grandiose their vision was going to be....i think ultimately that's what destroyed this game for a lot of people.

If they didn't overpromise then I think the disappointment would have been a whole lot less. You would finish the game, then move on to the next one, and then just speculate on Destiny 2. That would have been a better outcome for Destiny if the hype wasn't overblown. If they had tempered their ambition and stopped telling people what they couldn't essentially deliver then it would be a completely different story today. Destiny is still a hit game and a lot of people bought it. The marketing team should be fired for creating this idea of Destiny and how it's what is basically ruining the game for everyone, because it isn't what was promised.

TsuWave

i've said this before but erm, i think they need a bunch of more weapons and armor so they can put them in 3 different "caches", one you can only get through completing activities(raids, nightfall etc), one you can only get through crucible and its events, and one you can only get randomly through engrams and whatnot, these "caches" will have legendary and exotic weapons and gear, xur needs to stop selling exotic weapons, it will avoid things like the suros regime plague, also getting a weapon through an engram or completing an activity for later on to see it available through xur makes it feel cheap and less rewarding, gamer x investing so many hours and finally being "rewarded" with an exotic wakes up in the morning and sees that gamer z and a legion of others who haven't played the game not even for a third of the time or completed the activities he has have the same weapon/gear because its available through xur and they were lucky enough with the rare coins drops, that's bound to make you salty, "what's the point of all the hard work/hours? i'm just gonna wait for xur"

the light system needs addressing because it ends up making everyone looking the same because we all wear the same pieces, it wouldn't even be that hard to fix, all they is a wider variety of gear or a lazy fix would just be having more "powerful versions" of the gear pieces you had in the game up to level 20, add shaders, colors and you start seeing different looking high level guardians

the shopping system needs addressing, the 3 faction shops requiring crucible marks is bad design, at least one should require vanguard marks, and one glimmer, we can only use glimmer at the normal gunsmith and after you've gone past level 20 most of the stuff he sells, outside of ammo, is useless. You can also use glimmer at the outfit lady but the selection of emblems/shaders available through her is pretty poor which results in players regularly hitting the max glimmer cap because they have nowhere to spend it.

i hope they won't be patching every weapon the community complains about, granted no weapon should break the game but yeah, you need weapons/gear that people will strive for

i also want them to go crazy with designs, perks, gear, weapons and color patterns in the future, so much potential but so little of it being explored, so far this game wants you to do everything but "become legend", everyone looks the same(lol light system), has the same weapons(lol xur and lol limited choice) and they seem intent on making everybody play the same way

Ashler

I I understand they dont want a match made team beating their raid.

Yeah, but... why?
If we actually CAN beat it, why deny us that? Just make it harder to beat without the proper communication. Otherwise it's just a cheap limitation.

Awww the daily Gaf "Shit on Destiny" thread lol. I personally love the game having put a couple hundred hours into it. I'm not gonna defend it against many of the complaints because I feel that most are valid, but I really love the game. To me and many of my friends it feels like Bungie knows exactly what they're doing.

Destiny is not an MMO, or a viable long term MP shooter. It's not good at PvE or PvP.

At some point you have to realize it's not worth playing anymore. For me the best part was the story missions/strikes and those all sucked.

If you keep playing it's either more grinding or raging in PvP.

Why would anyone subject themselves to this punishment?

This

The random loot system is horrible. I put about 3 days into the game, and the best gear I received was the Vision of Confluence and the Raid Legendary Gauntlets. In addition all of the engrams I got, including exotic and legendary, has been useless or for another class. But its whatever, I still enjoy playing with friends and such.

Tomeru

If you people had your way with the game, you wouldve stopped playing after a week because you already have anything. Need new content!!!

Welcome to mmos. Let the tears continue to drop while you STILL play.

Carn82

TsuWave

Yeah, but... why?
If we actually CAN beat it, why deny us that? Just make it harder to beat without the proper communication. Otherwise it's just a cheap limitation.

i agree with you, not everybody has 5 friends, or 5 friends with the same platform/game, nor are they on forums like neogaf where you can find people and team up for raid. its kinda shitty that they are locked out from doing the raid since its one of the highlights of the game.

Mindwipe

http://theguardiansofdestiny.com/2014/10/14/guardian-radio-episode-82/

Good hour and thirty minute interview with Deej on Guardian Radio podcast pretty much discussing every complaint I ever heard on NeoGAF & Bungie dot net. NeoGAF is mentioned quite often

He answers all complaints, from lack of story and why certain things were cut and will probably cut back on half the speculation in this thread

"Answers" is a strong word. He acknowledges that they have had lots of complaints, then says nothing of import on any of them. Not even any kind of hype that we're going to be happier. There's no explanation, nor any evidence of rectification.

VSynk

Banned
This game is a mess, everything i do seems like a waste of time, when the patch comes out i'll be selling my game.

The game is broken behind repair.

FStop7

Banned
The Mythoclast nerf was dumb. It obviously needed adjustment in PVP, but to carry the changes over to PVE ruined it.

Lace

The Mythoclast nerf was dumb. It obviously needed adjustment in PVP, but to carry the changes over to PVE ruined it.
I'm really glad they nerfed it for PvP, it was overpowered and made multiplayer unfun. It should've stayed the same for PvE though. I don't care if AI don't like it.

I'm really glad they nerfed it for PvP, it was overpowered and made multiplayer unfun. It should've stayed the same for PvE though. I don't care if AI don't like it.

Vision of Confluence is doing the same thing, only more people have it now. Vex was outclassed at range at least.

Hindle

Banned
It just makes me wonder what Bungies mindset was when they were making Destiny. There doesn't seem to have been any real plan like at all.

Top Bottom