• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Bungie still plan to reboot Marathon?

seriously it's hilarious that a 4 year old contract is still held up as if it's relevant anymore.

So many things have changed and been proven out of date in that thing, but people keep holding it up
That contract really was a huge insight into the industry in general, as well as into Bungie's road map, but it was already out-of-date when it went public 4 years ago. A new Marathon is not outside the realm of possibility as Bungie still has the rights to that franchise as well as a massive amount of talent and tech. Destiny seems to have swallowed the whole of their resources and then some, given the involvement of High Moon, but we don't know what the future will hold. If VR gaming takes off, it could even be an experimental project into that. A fan can dream.

Tunavi

Banned
Bungie now is not the same Bungie that made marathon and halo 1/2. I don't think I would care at this point.

Hyun Sai

After seeing how Bungie managed Destiny during the year I spent there, I am no longer interested in what they may do or not in the future.

Bungie now is not the same Bungie that made marathon and halo 1/2. I don't think I would care at this point.
Bungie has always evolved and changed throughout their games and throughout shifts in the industry. It's disappointing to see recognizable veterans leave, but there are so many more who we don't see who have always been there, and there's still a culture of improvement through iteration and innovation that gave us things like Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST.

FyreWulff

That contract really was a huge insight into the industry in general, as well as into Bungie's road map, but it was already out-of-date when it went public 4 years ago. A new Marathon is not outside the realm of possibility as Bungie still has the rights to that franchise as well as a massive amount of talent and tech. Destiny seems to have swallowed the whole of their resources and then some, given the involvement of High Moon, but we don't know what the future will hold. If VR gaming takes off, it could even be an experimental project into that. A fan can dream.

It was a huge insight, but it also showed why contracts generally aren't public.. because people don't know how to read them when they are, and think once they're signed they're followed by the letter to the end. It's used more of a "a ha, we've got them figured out!", while a small number of people are "neat!". And sadly, most people ignored the poison pill clauses and glommed onto the release dates, which as a developer I wish more gamers would be aware of :(

I don't think Marathon is dead forever, but as it is, I don't think it'd make sense right now anyway. And to be honest, I think the Marathon Clause is/was a red herring for another purpose.

Tunavi

Banned
Bungie has always evolved and changed throughout their games and throughout shifts in the industry. It's disappointing to see recognizable veterans leave, but there are so many more who we don't see who have always been there, and there's still a culture of improvement through iteration and innovation that gave us things like Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST.
But Bungie has changed a lot since even ODST! That was 6 or 7 years ago now

Top Bottom