• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it Really Make Sense to Have Another Whole Generation of Nintendo Port Begging?

Why the hell is "port begging" demonized/looked down upon? Its a win win for developers and gamers who want the games. As someone who has the switch as my primary console, I want as many third party ports as possible. Anyone who disagrees isn't helping the cause.

Because it details thread and most often then not bring nothing to the topic at hand.

Seeing droves of" I'll get it if it's on the Switch" in threads for a trailer of a game with specific platforms announced or not can be quite annoying.

Also, maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything about port begging in the ToS:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390708

Some past posts I've made on the matter:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99226163
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21660897 <-- i wasn't a mod when i made this

Why the hell is "port begging" demonized/looked down upon? Its a win win for developers and gamers who want the games. As someone who has the switch as my primary console, I want as many third party ports as possible. Anyone who disagrees isn't helping the cause.

port begging *on gaf specifically* does absolutely nothing since most devs aren't reading gaf and aren't in a position to actually implement change

at worst, those types of posts derail threads from actual discussion of the topic

Considering how out of touch people are in regards to specs and what the specs mean (or do in games), you are going to get a lot of people asking for games that simply don't work on 4 gb of ram. It is annoying though.

No offense but there were people here who thought the Switch couldn't run Rocket League. There are people that think it can't run GTA5. People that thought it was getting the vanilla version of Skyrim.

There is a lot of people both ways who dunno what they are talking about.

but that is the issue of the topic. If a game is announced and people express interest in a Switch version, they get quoted a bunch of times about port begging. It's normal to want software to come to a console you own, which is what the OP was asking.

If that's against the rules of this forum, then people should follow the rules, but the desire for wanting games on Switch is perfectly normal.

You gave a simple one sentence response of "people want more games" which doesn't even begin to scrape the surface of the issue. Switch port begging is rampant, often when a new game is announced with no switch version you get these posts:

"No Switch version?"
"This would be great to play on my Switch"
"I own X console but would rather play on Switch"

Like another poster mentioned, twitter and Facebook are probably better platforms for port begging than neogaf.

ozfunghi

There is no reason why the Switch shouldn't get the same "kind of" games the Vita got. It's got more muscle compared to the current gen home consoles, than Vita had when it launched. And the Switch is going to fill the void of Nintendo's succesfull 3DS as well as their home console. So if the Vita could get certain big hitters, i can't see why the Switch couldn't.
But i would really like it if this thread were released on the Switch!

I also think port begging isn't nearly as bad as "Nintendo going 3rd party begging".

I don't see how wishing for a game on the Switch is detrimental. I mean, maybe it's what? Five, six posts in a 300-post thread? It's easy to overlook.

It's not like people are creating threads about it.

Robin64

Nintendo has been mercilessly assaulting that part of us since we were all devastated to learn that Final Fantasy wasn't coming until the Nintendo 64.

Where's my Switch Final Fantasy? :)

(Though seriously, the recent PC ports of VII, VIII and IX should go on there, do it Square)

sotojuan

Number 1 reason for switch port-begging

a Friend of mine wants to play the later final fantasy games (10 and 12 remasters and 15) but that's just not gonna happen cause he's always moving around and sitting in front of his TV for hours at night is just unrealistic.

of course he port-begs.

He can get X and all the PSOne ones for Vita. No way XII will be in portables any time soon.

Theres a difference between "man a switch port would be great id love to play this on the go" and "im so pissed at this company for not putting a game on my preffered platform"

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
There are far more people who complain about this shit than there are people who actually do it.

Also, how the hell does "I'd like to play this game on platform x" trigger any sort of emotion in anybody? Weirdest fucking thing to complain about.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It is in thread derailing.

Giving arguments why a game would benefit from another system is not port begging.

Port beging is being angry that Bayo 2 is wiiu exclusive and saying the wiiu sux

Oh of course. One is a reasoned response and the other is just lashing out.

Portability is the biggest factor in wanting a game for Switch, I'd think. It's a built in benefit.

I only find it ridiculous when people get actively upset when companies don't port their games to the Switch. Just wanting a game to come to the platform is fine (as long as it isn't thread-derailing)

Renna Hazel

You gave a simple one sentence response of "people want more games" which doesn't even begin to scrape the surface of the issue. Switch port begging is rampant, often when a new game is announced with no switch version you get these posts:

"No Switch version?"
"This would be great to play on my Switch"
"I own X console but would rather play on Switch"

Like another poster mentioned, twitter and Facebook are probably better platforms for port begging than neogaf.

I gave a simple sentence because it's a simple issue. Those comments are normal and all point to the same feeling, people want games on Switch. This is perfectly normal for Switch owners. Not really sure why you're objecting to what I'm saying?

Novocaine

Call me crazy but developers not having Nintendo platforms on their radar until they get hit with port begging requests seems a little strange to me. I have a feeling these games would have made their way over no matter what. Or am I missing something here?

TheChaos

No offense but there were people here who thought the Switch couldn't run Rocket League. There are people that think it can't run GTA5. People that thought it was getting the vanilla version of Skyrim.

GTAV and Skyrim are last-gen games. People who thought they can't be run on the Switch are idiots.

What I do see people port-beg are games from the PS4 era like Overwatch which definitely won't be able to run without having to scale back the game big time.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."

Which is why I said that a lot of people are out of touch with the specs...you're agreeing with me lol.

Rncewind

I agree with you because i saw this posts myself but you gotta agree that majority of this stuff is about current gen stuff.

Like just recently with KH3, "kingdom hearts 3 dont look that visually impressive, pretty sure they could easily port on switch" like lol.

The port begging reached a high recently with the 3DS game announcements. People pissed off that there were no Switch versions and demanding Nintendo to immediately shut down 3DS game development and shit.
Yes, it makes sense. If you don't like those posts, ignore them.

ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away

Considering that Nintendo didn't really adjust the Switch to accommodate for all of the reasons AAA third parties didn't want to port over to their systems for the past couple generations, no it doesn't really make much sense, and I don't know why anyone expected it.

This thread would be perfect for the Switch. Where is my browser, Nintendo?

Developers probably aren't going to make downgraded ports of games designed to run on consoles with higher technical specifications. They tried that some on the Wii and it was honestly pretty bad.
No, the same games are available on low end PCs with "low" settings. It's much more about target audience than it is about specs. Destiny will never come to the Switch because nobody would buy it on the Switch, it's not worth the investment.

You mentioned the Wii, but that thing had a remote and a nunchuk with a single analog stick as the main control system.

Call me crazy but developers not having Nintendo platforms on their radar until they get hit with port begging requests seems a little strange to me. I have a feeling these games would have made their way over no matter what. Or am I missing something here?

I agree that all of these games make good sense for Nintendo platforms, but some of these games even made their way over to Wii U, which sure as hell wasn't a sure thing.

One of those games was Skyrim which certainly took its dear sweet time.

Rocket League is probably the only thing here that was a complete foregone conclusion when it was initially announced for Nintendo platforms.

nynt9

What I do find funny is in the many Switch threads especially pre and post launch. When people complained about lack of 3rd party games the party line was almost always...

"The Switch is all about great 1st party games and having fun. You can keep your yearly rehashes of COD, FIFA, etc..etc... that's what PS4 and Xone are for"

Yet here we are with post after post of port begging and how amazing it would be to have these games on Switch.

Personally as an owner of a Switch and PS4. I would much rather play the likes of COD and FIFA on the PS4 than a dumbed down switch version.

In Turkish we have this saying "a cat will call the food it cannot reach rotten".

packy34

Port begging to devs on twitter makes sense. On Gaf threads? Not so much.

There needs to be a defined difference of what port-begging is and what expressed interest in a game is. I don't think there's any harm in saying things like "I would love to play this on Switch" on GAF.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I really dont think its that bad most of the time - people ask or discuss usually games where it would make sense to bring them to Switch or just wonder why it wouldnt happen. If EA/Activision announce their next big budget high end AAA game no one would expect a Switch version....but if its the next Skylanders, Sims or in general something more casual oriented its obv. that people would ask why they are skipping the launch on a successful system.

Same reason with Capcom and their Mega Man Legacy or Disney Collections - those games not coming to Switch raises some question...i also get that having "announcements" threads full of "where is the Switch ?" version is not what people wanna see. But in some way its part of an announcements to discuss the plattforms.

When big games of the past where announced exclusive for DS or 3DS like DQIX or Monster Hunter 4 it was fine for people to have plattform discussion about that project for dozen of pages - it was always a big part of those threads, as long as it wasnt just blatant port-begging, you were able to have some kind of discussion.

Thats sadly not possible with the Switch in the moment because alot of people create a very hostile environment very fast if the console is brought up - right now we have the popular" in be4 the Switch portbeg" posts showing up.

The port begging rules are here for a reason and they make sense to not have threads being dominated by people asking for version X...i just dont think that people need to be that trigger happy when a consoles name is being brought up. If its just one post you probably can ignore it or let the Mods handle it, well or PN a mod...we dont need to blow up every thread because one Person asked if this game is coming or could come to Switch.

Honestly its not THAT big of deal...its just big right now because its happening on Switch. When PS4/XBO were knew it was okay to wish for every game to come on those systems - no matter if it was on PC or handheld before.

It was okay to post oh i wish this game would come to the new consoles - because they are the standard and you cant really ban everyone that wants good looking game X on his system. With Switch its different....many people get upset when its brought up in potential port discussions, for example if you would post nowadays that your are interested in Persona games but prefer to play them on portables, so you hope/wish fir a Switch version down the line you wouldnt survive that thread.

Asking for a portable version in general is bad news since at this points its pretty much mean Switch version - so yeah also something many people dont wanna see.

Ive been on GAF for some years but the hostility when it comes to Switch and potential ports is something i havent witnessed before. And i was here fir the whole Wii era.

Port begging to devs on twitter makes sense. On Gaf threads? Not so much.

it's a forum where people can organize for a common objective, I know, shocking forums have that quality

people want a game in the platform they like and have, it's pretty normal for them to request it and there is no issue with it, it/'s just a matter of ignoring it

What is not cool is blasting their opinion when a dev says "no", just like p[people can beg for a game, devs can say no because they have other objectives in mind

In other words, let people fight the battles they think are important for them, and if they are not for you, ignore them

As simple as that

Also, what the eff? this is a forum where people can express their opinion, if people want to see if other people shares their same opinion, let them be, if it bothers you, just ignore it

I saw a comment saying that most games eventually would come to a console no matter the demand, and that is not true.. or at least part of it, it's true that a game can be considered for a console, but there is no other way to see the demand for that game in the console unless people voice their opinion, and that is exactly what is happening

Just don't get angry if they say "No, we won't port this game to that system"

Caronte

I'm personally more tired of people complaining about Switch port begging than actual Switch port begging. I think some titles not coming to Switch can be questioned, like Disney Afternoon Collection. Then again, I don't enter many threads for games not coming to Switch so maybe there are a lot of people there asking for Switch ports. In that case, I apologize.

I personally see comments like this more than the actual portbegging!

I wonder why.

I don't think it's outrageous to voice a desire for third party games on the system. If people were begging for God of War for instance then that's just dumb (like people did for a certain Nintendo title on Wii U).

GTAV and Skyrim are last-gen games. People who thought they can't be run on the Switch are idiots.

What I do see people port-beg are games from the PS4 era like Overwatch which definitely won't be able to run without having to scale back the game big time.

All I am highlighting is the systems capabilities are not well understood so you're gonna have people saying X shit is impossible and y shit is possible.

Which is why I said that a lot of people are out of touch with the specs...you're agreeing with me lol.

Okay lol. We good haha

I agree with you because i saw this posts myself but you gotta agree that majority of this stuff is about current gen stuff.

Like just recently with KH3, "kingdom hearts 3 dont look that visually impressive, pretty sure they could easily port on switch" like lol.

Certainly not arguing people aren't delusional. Just that the system's capabilities aren't fully understood. There is a middle ground between Battlefield 1 and Stardew Valley :p

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Port begging for indie games is legit, it's the best platform for them and its apparently easy to develop for. Also they are doing well on the platform. People clamoring for their favourite title without compromises on a portable device is understandable.

For big titles yeah, fooling yourself.

Games like that cup head game are ripe for a switch begging imo

LordKasual

Banned
What I do find funny is in the many Switch threads especially pre and post launch. When people complained about lack of 3rd party games the party line was almost always...

"The Switch is all about great 1st party games and having fun. You can keep your yearly rehashes of COD, FIFA, etc..etc... that's what PS4 and Xone are for"

Yet here we are with post after post of port begging and how amazing it would be to have these games on Switch.

Personally as an owner of a Switch and PS4. I would much rather play the likes of COD and FIFA on the PS4 than a dumbed down switch version.

In Turkish we have this saying "a cat will call the food it cannot reach rotten".

this is the most aggravating thing about the whole situation

not to mention the "I think [X nintendo game] is better than [Y unrelated game] because [Z arbitrary out of context reasons]" threads ad infinitum

the amount of Zelda vs. HZD threads a few months ago was nauseating

Top Bottom