• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it Really Make Sense to Have Another Whole Generation of Nintendo Port Begging?

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Port begging for indie games is legit, it's the best platform for them and its apparently easy to develop for. Also they are doing well on the platform. People clamoring for their favourite title without compromises on a portable device is understandable.

For big titles yeah, filling yourself.

Agreed. Wake me up when an Anthem or RDR2 thread is derailed by Switch port-begging.

Developers on social media ask and tease for demand. So long as it's not nonsense like "Horizon on Switch" or "Mario on Playstation!" then I think it's totally fair and valid. It absolutely makes a difference with Indies and even viable 3rd party games. He'll, didn't YoshiP even suggest FFXIV Switch was at least an idea being looked at?

if you want things to "make sense" you should probably try looking elsewhere than a videogame forum on the internet. it is a virtual discussion about virtual realities. in the end we are talking about sitting in front of screens pushing buttons w no material benefit.

on the other hand it does make total sense. people want to buy video games. companies sell video games. often supply and demand are all flippy floppy. people that buy video games want to buy more video games. it's a pretty natural reaction.

deride it as "port begging" if you want but i fail to see the point of pre-emptively calling out consumers for wanting to consume. it isnt going to stop anyone who wants a game on Switch from saying so. fwiw i hate terms like "port beginning" people trot out like some kind of consumer dick measuring contest, as if you have special insight into what companies will make and you are better at consuming than other people.

jts

...hate me...
What I do find funny is in the many Switch threads especially pre and post launch. When people complained about lack of 3rd party games the party line was almost always...

"The Switch is all about great 1st party games and having fun. You can keep your yearly rehashes of COD, FIFA, etc..etc... that's what PS4 and Xone are for"

Yet here we are with post after post of port begging and how amazing it would be to have these games on Switch.

Personally as an owner of a Switch and PS4. I would much rather play the likes of COD and FIFA on the PS4 than a dumbed down switch version.
I used to be an owner of a Switch and PS4 too. After I learned that FIFA and Rocket League are coming to the Switch, I'm now just a Switch owner.

I may buy back a PS4 some day (I have some digital backlog) but those games and many other multiplatforms I'll rather get on Switch to play them anywhere. All indications are that FIFA Switch is great. No reason why Rocket League shouldn't be either. Etc.

fernoca

Then there are those that actually want a game on Switch, and those that just do it to stir things up.

Like the "in before Switch port beg".

Is like when some start a post with "I'm not a fanboy, but...". :p

Is more about the nature of some people around online forums and social, rather than Nintendo fans/fanboys.

Lylo

As a person that can play pretty much any game available on the market, i often find myself thinking:"i'd rather play this game on the Switch"

So i'm not going to judge the folks that want games on the system, Nintendo hit the nail on the head with this console, it's almost too good.

Port begging for indie games is legit, it's the best platform for them and its apparently easy to develop for. Also they are doing well on the platform. People clamoring for their favourite title without compromises on a portable device is understandable.

For big titles yeah, fooling yourself.

Games like that cup head game are ripe for a switch begging imo

That Cuphead game was heavily backed (yes, financially) and promoted by Microsoft, so don't hold your breath.

Platy

Bayonetta 2 would benefit from a steadier framerate and higher resolution.

So, no port beg according to you.

It is above average, yes.

What I find it weird is that people complain when people go to threads just for this ... but then when you make a thread for this, in which port beg IS the theme and therefore not a derail, people complain anyway.

I understand that port begging is very annoying, but I can guarantee if 95% of all games announced didn't come to Playstation or Xbox platforms they would be begging for ports too.

Ogodei

AAA PS4/X1 games aren't really up for begging, but a lot of less ambitious software should run no problem.

What you'll see more of is port begging for single player centric PS3/360 games that could use a portable experience, like Skyrim (GTAIV, BioShock/Infinite, early Assassin's Creed, Red Dead, Dishonored 1, Arkham Asylum, Dark Souls)

As a person that can play pretty much any game available on the market, i often find myself thinking:"i'd rather play this game on the Switch"

So i'm not going to judge the folks that want games on the system, Nintendo hit the nail on the head with this console, it's almost too good.

This is an enthusiast forum so I think it's safe to assume the majority of people who have a Switch here also have a PS4, Xbox One and or PC. I too would rather play everything on Switch.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
why one shoud be bothered by port begging posts? just ignore them ;)

for this posts could be that a dev is reading them and considering the port for this people happiness xD

For big titles yeah, fooling yourself.

Games like that cup head game are ripe for a switch begging imo

Facts, besides the day you buy a Nintendo console and make it your primary console you should pretty much know what to expect.. like don't fool yourself big third party games aren't getting ported (GTA,destiny,FF, etc)

Everyone is the victim, yet everyone is also the one who starts something.

If someone doesn't port beg, then someone else decides to be that guy and say "inb4" just to be cool.

If a game is not capable of being done on the Switch without massive changes then some complain even though there are valid reasons for it being incompatible.

If someone makes another thread about the Switch praising it in any way then people counter it.

But if someone makes a thread of how bad something is on the Switch like achievements or Wi-Fi or even how the controller looks, then it's okay to agree.

Everyone has an agenda. No matter how much they say it's not true. It's how we are as humans. It's just too bad we can't have both positives and negatives about something without the other side seeing red.

ksamedi

I think the Switch is a very attractive device for third parties as well. Its the first time in a long while where a Nintendo device could be preferred over playstation or Xbox by young adults. I mean going back to the N64 days till now, Nintendo devices had either low sales or were too different to litteraly port over existing succesful games from Sony and later Microsoft. The Switch doesnt have the same hardware power sure, but its a capable device that could run pretty much most games with small sacrifices and there is a compelling reason for people to actually want to buy games on Switch.

I understand that port begging is very annoying, but I can guarantee if 95% of all games announced didn't come to Playstation or Xbox platforms they would be begging for ports too.

It happens on all sides. The "Nintendo should to 3rd party" stance is basically a colossal port-begging narrative.

If someone doesn't port beg, then someone else decides to be that guy and say "inb4" just to be cool.

If a game is not capable of being done on the Switch without massive changes then some complain even though there are valid reasons for it being incompatible.

If someone makes another thread about the Switch praising it in any way then people counter it.

But if someone makes a thread of how bad something is on the Switch like achievements or Wi-Fi or even how the controller looks, then it's okay to agree.

Everyone has an agenda. No matter how much they say it's not true. It's how we are as humans. It's just too bad we can't have both positives and negatives about something without thebotger side seeing red.

This is a good post, very open minded.

Everyone has an agenda. No matter how much they say it's not true. It's how we are as humans. It's just too bad we can't have both positives and negatives about something without thebotger side seeing red.

I feel enlightened.

Wil348

To be honest most threads usually have the responses to port-begging come before the actual port-begging. Then there's the "lol not coming to Switch" posts which feel like the most obnoxious of the three. I've just learned to expect a shitshow wherever Nintendo threads are concerned.

GDGF

Soothsayer

Most honest post in this thread.

Blobbers

phPuHTX.jpg

don't worry, we've already reached peak portbegging a few months ago. Now it's settling down, but it might pick up after Kingdom Hearts 3 releases

Rncewind

I think the Switch is a very attractive device for third parties as well. Its the first time in a long while where a Nintendo device could be preferred over playstation or Xbox by young adults. I mean going back to the N64 days till now, Nintendo devices had either low sales or were too different to litteraly port over existing succesful games from Sony and later Microsoft. The Switch doesnt have the same hardware power sure, but its a capable device that could run pretty much most games with small sacrifices and there is a compelling reason for people to actually want to buy games on Switch.

can you explain to me how games are struggling running on xbox one can run on switch with a small sacrafice?

This is exact the type of stuff i was talking about

I think with WiiU was the questions for ports a bit meaningless. If people really want to play a specific game they should buy a platform where its released. Regardless if its Assassins Creed or Bayonetta2.

But the Switch is a "game changer" for some, because quite some people seems to enjoy the whole concept of stationery/portability aspect. Most people I know with a Switch who said they will use this thing only on TV and will never play a "console" game like Zelda in Handheld mode, quickly changed their mind after a few days.

Its superfluous when people beg for Uncharted on Switch and Zelda or Bayonetta2 on PS4, or the "Nintendo should go third party" begging, because that is never happening.

Hoping/dreaming of a Switch port of Battlefront, CoD, Dragon Quest or Resident Evil in the specific threads is quite understandable. This has often nothing to do with "fanboy" attitudes. There is no substitute on the market that is even nearly as satisfying for some as to play games with the Switch concept.

Nonetheless its irritating when some people constantly port begging when specific games are mentioned. But when someone hopes of a port when a new game is announced (regardless of the system) is nothing that would derail a thread. The constant complains about such posts are far more redundant. Ports are always possible, even the Wii got CoD & Co.

I know it's not gonna happen most of the time but I'm not gonna stop wishing I could play more things on a handheld.

Wonder if I'll ever just give up and investigate that win gpd thing

It's a matter of attitude. Asking devs and pubs on social media, events, etc, to bring a game to your platform of choice is perfectly fine as long as it's done in a respectful way. Becoming a salt shaker when a game doesn't make it would only reinforce their decision imo.

MisterR

I'm personally more tired of people complaining about Switch port begging than actual Switch port begging. I think some titles not coming to Switch can be questioned, like Disney Afternoon Collection. Then again, I don't enter many threads for games not coming to Switch so maybe there are a lot of people there asking for Switch ports. In that case, I apologize.

I personally see comments like this more than the actual portbegging!

You must not be on many threads then. It's in every thread for any game not announced for Switch.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This is an enthusiast forum so I think it's safe to assume the majority of people who have a Switch here also have a PS4, Xbox One and or PC. I too would rather play everything on Switch.

I've got a day one PS4 Pro (which replaced my day one PS4) and a day one PSVR and I agree. Switch has changed my priorities on non-AAA games (and sports games) completely. Haven't bought FIFA since like 2011, will buy day one on Switch, have bought every NBA2K on my PS4, will buy this one on Switch, have bought every Madden for as long as I remember, not sure if I could be bothered to buy this year. Why the hell would I, or any human person with the choice, buy a game like Stardew Valley on any platform other than Switch?

Persona 5 really set this off for me. Quit after like 10 hours and I'm likely never going to pick it back up again unless a certain, for some reason, offensive thing happens. My PS4 is now a Sony-exclusive and PSVR machine. It's a damn fine console with an extremely strong library, but the hook of the Switch fits into my life perfectly and makes going back to being tethered to my couch feel more like a "downgrade" than any graphical "downgrade" I've seen.

Neiteio

Only port begging I see is for Nintendo-published games from previous Nintendo systems.

Bayonetta 1 + 2
The Wonderful 101
Mario 3D World + Captain Toad
DKC: Tropical Freeze + DKC Returns
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Etc, etc, etc

Chauzu

You must not be on many threads then. It's in every thread for any game not announced for Switch.

If a game isn't announced for Switch I ignore the thread. Sounds like more of the Switch only crowd here should follow that example then!

One issue is sometimes platforms aren't announced, like with the anime Souls game earlier. Those threads were bad with the people hoping it would come to Switch and people saying it obviously wouldn't. Could've been avoided by just announcing platforms...

aadiboy

You guys bought a Switch for 1st party games, stop acting shocked when 3rd party games don't come to a Nintendo system. You did this to yourselves, and it will continue to happen for the forseeable future.

Recall

Only port begging I see is for Nintendo-published games from previous Nintendo systems.

Bayonetta 1 + 2
The Wonderful 101
Mario 3D World + Captain Toad
DKC: Tropical Freeze + DKC Returns
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD

Etc, etc, etc

Every thread for a new game. Gets a "is it coming to Switch" within the first 20 posts.

If you aren't seeing it then you clearly aren't looking in many threads.

I don't know what the problem is with wanting games to come to your preferred platform
The problem is when you have a bunch of people derailing threads with their unrealistic wishes. You buy a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games for the most part; these people knew what they were getting into when they paid the sticker price so the port begging makes my eyes roll. It's just obnoxious...imagine if BotW threads were overrun with PlayStation Stans asking for it on PS4.

DMONKUMA

I will say that I've seen some notable users been a bit angry with devs that say that their game can't be on the Switch or they just won't be developing for it. Reactions are basically that the devs are spigot for views or such when it's actually the media sites asking these question and not. It's not the devs suddenly saying that on the spot.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The problem is when you have a bunch of people derailing threads with their unrealistic wishes. You buy a Nintendo platform to play Nintendo games for the most part; these people knew what they were getting into when they paid the sticker price so the port begging makes my eyes roll. It's just obnoxious...imagine if BotW threads were overrun with PlayStation Stans asking for it on PS4.

There is a huge difference between asking for a third party game and asking for a first party one.

Chauzu

You guys bought a Switch for 1st party games, stop acting shocked when 3rd party games don't come to a Nintendo system. You did this to yourselves, and it will continue to happen for the forseeable future.

I bought it with that plan but now I can't go back to being stuck to either a TV or portable. So while I want "all games to come to Switch", I just focus on the games actually coming and focus on supporting them. Most likely missing out on something like Kingdom Hearts 3 sucks but I'll live.

ReaperXL7

I don't have any issue with expressing interest in Indies games coming to the Switch as long as it can run them. let's face it the Vitas library would be non existent if it haven't been for fans being so vocal about wanting those games to come to the platform.

The issue I have is people expecting stuff like Assassins Creed origins, or the like which are graphically intense on the PS4 and Xbone as it is. I think Nintendos strategy with the Switch is great after experiencing it for myself, but it's impossible to deny that they handicapped the system in many ways with the direction they chose.

Top Bottom