• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it Really Make Sense to Have Another Whole Generation of Nintendo Port Begging?

watershed

Banned
It makes sense in that there are Switch owners who would like to play certain games on the platform that will sadly never be released on it. Everyone wants to play good games.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Agreed, would be nice if the 3rd post in every thread wasn't "switch version?" I understand people are excited for a new portable capable console but port begging is banned for a reason - it's hugely obnoxious.
I know it's probably hard for you to believe.. But there are probably uses who really are genuine asking about a potential Switch version or it's possibility. Yet everything is regarded as port begging.

A lot of games are multiplattform nowadays or devs express interest to bring a game to multiple platforms. The blatant port begging you used as an example rarely happens because this will get you banned really fast. A user earlier in this thread mentioned being pissed about people port begging for Assassins Creed Origin... Don't think I've ever seen someone portbegging for this, especially after we saw how it looks E3.

At the same time we have stuff like RE7 that is multiplattform, from a publisher that is know to port it games and that conformed that they ported the Engine over to Switch... Would I expect RE7 on Switch, nope... But I also wouldn't get offended if the system would be brought up.

I just don't get how something like this can be "hugely obnoxious"... Someone asking if game X is coming or is planned for Platform Z. I would understand it if we were talking about exclusive, because those get fanboys quite riled up all the time. I don't think anyone has port begged for Nioh to be on Switch for example.

A lot of Switch discussion often also revolves around the question of or what kind of games the hardware can handle. People educate themselves in topics when they ask questions like why wouldn't this game run on Switch for example. Questions or topics that were part of ever new hardware launch.

XBOX One X will launch soon... PS4 Pro is already here, many users of those systems are pretty pumped for it and many users will ask in threads of upcoming games will support the extra power of those machines or if patches or later updates. Same for potential PC versions... These questions get usually answered in a couple post and everyone moves on. We def. would have an easier time if people would react to Switch being mentioned in a similar way.

LotusHD

Banned
This is why I'm glad I got a Switch and a PS4/gaming capable PC. Won't hear port begging my way. Best of all worlds is good enough for me.

Well for many, it's not always strictly about lamenting that the Switch doesn't have a certain game, that they're missing out, but that said game would be more appealing if it was portable. Even with a PS4, there are occasionally games that come out where one might prefer to play it on the Switch. Like Persona 5, you got a PS4, you can play it. But if you also own a Switch, then it's not hard to see why someone wouldn't prefer it on there.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
What exactly does "make sense" on Gaf? How does expressing your sentiment toward being able (or not) to play a game make any less sense than expressing your dislike for a certain function, complain about hardware power, talking about megaflops or the color of the UI of a certain console? What's the point in that? This is a game related forum, as long as you can discuss all things "videogame" in a respectful and sensible matter, why shouldn't people be able to discuss games skipping a certain platform or expressing your disappointment when that happens?

I meant "make sense" in that it likely wouldn't actually change whether or not a game would be released on said systems, which is why I argued that if the purpose was for exposing the idea, that going straight to the developer's social media might be more fruitful. If one is only seeking discussion versus looking for agreement with their port-begging, more power to them.

bart64

Banned
I see a lot more, like 10x more, port begging for Nintendo games. Thank goodness I may not see "Nintendo needs to go third party" so much now because the Switch hardware is so kick ass.

PKrockin

According to these guys every game is somehow a "perfect fit" for the Switch. More likely they just really like the console and want to have some games to play on it.

I must say, after years of being on this forum. It is interesting how rules about portbegging have been completely thrown out the window across the board for the Switch.

Nekster

I don't want ports for the Switch. I want 3rd party support. And that is not the same thing. If the Switch gets the kind of third party support the 3ds had i'm fine.

I'm going to start portbegging for the Atari box just as a change of pace.

The funniest switch port begging is when people want games that are like four or five years old on the system.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I must say, after years of being on this forum. It is interesting how rules about portbegging have been completely thrown out the window across the board for the Switch.

Err, they haven't? Threads have been locked, and people have been warned/banned. Not sure what is so different now.

Dremorak

Banned
It makes sense because the idea of being able to play console games on the go is extremely tantalizing, moreso than just "I own an Xbone therefore I want to be able to play this without buying the system" I think in a lot of cases (myself included) its the idea that I might be able to play this game in bed, on a train, waiting at the doctor, waiting for my kids to get out of school, etc etc etc.

The irony here is many people on here were laughing at the idea of the PS4/XB1 getting last generation remasters while there was a drought, instead of getting a Wii U for new exclusives. Now we're getting the opposite of that on the Switch and it's okay, to the point where port begging is rather common lol.

Getting ports is good. Especially when you don't have backwards compatibility on your consoles. This isn't the Wii, DS, 3DS or Wii U where the previous generation was still available on your new Nintendo platform.

This is doubly the case here since the Wii U absolutely bombed.

Best wishes.

Actually, while port begging shits GAF threads up, I think overall it has done more good than harm. For all we know, Dark Souls 1 PC is a port begging job (although the main effort surely not led by GAF), isn't it? I'm sure other games as well.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I suppose it's a relative to the game the poster is talking about. When they ask for games that clearly could never run in the Switch, say like the Witcher 3, it's very annoying. Wii U games, HD Wii remaster and even PS360 games don't bother me if I believe it would sell well in Switch.

Again, it's very unreasonable to ask for high-end PS4 games like FFXV, but I'm fine with FFXII or FFXIV. I don't own a Switch (yet) so whatever.

I'm not begging for indie games to come to Switch, but it had totally killed the number of well received indie games I've impulse bought in recent months. Since I'm far more likely to finish them if I can play them anywhere, I've found myself just putting off buying them until there's either a Switch port, and if it doesn't happen then it'll be on sale soon enough.

ozfunghi

I meant "make sense" in that it likely wouldn't actually change whether or not a game would be released on said systems, which is why I argued that if the purpose was for exposing the idea, that going straight to the developer's social media might be more fruitful. If one is only seeking discussion versus looking for agreement with their port-begging, more power to them.

I understand, and my response wasn't meant to discredit your post or anything, it was just a sentiment i was trying to get across because "it doesn't make sense/never gonna happen anyway" had been brought up by others earlier in the thread. I merely wanted to say, that if we can't talk about stuff like that, then you could just close the entire place down.

Terrell

I'd be more inclined to believe the sincerity of this sort of "frustration" if we didn't see people annoyed by port begging in threads discussing a developer asking people to port-beg.

And really, developers setting up this expectation that things can come to a platform if we ask REALLY HARD is a big part of what perpetuates port-begging in the first place. So please direct your ire towards them.

According to these guys every game is somehow a "perfect fit" for the Switch. More likely they just really like the console and want to have some games to play on it.

I agree with the sentiment. Something being "perfect" for a platform is incredibly agitating. It's not "perfect", it's a good/nice idea. Those are 2 very different things.

Is it port begging when everyone hopes Nintendo goes third party?

If we want to talk about frustrating things that actually derail conversations, this is the worse offender.

I know it's probably hard for you to believe.. But there are probably uses who really are genuine asking about a potential Switch version or it's possibility. Yet everything is regarded as port begging.

A lot of games are multiplattform nowadays or devs express interest to bring a game to multiple platforms. The blatant port begging you used as an example rarely happens because this will get you banned really fast. A user earlier in this thread mentioned being pissed about people port begging for Assassins Creed Origin... Don't think I've ever seen someone portbegging for this, especially after we saw how it looks E3.

At the same time we have stuff like RE7 that is multiplattform, from a publisher that is know to port it games and that conformed that they ported the Engine over to Switch... Would I expect RE7 on Switch, nope... But I also wouldn't get offended if the system would be brought up.

I just don't get how something like this can be "hugely obnoxious"... Someone asking if game X is coming or is planned for Platform Z. I would understand it if we were talking about exclusive, because those get fanboys quite riled up all the time. I don't think anyone has port begged for Nioh to be on Switch for example.

A lot of Switch discussion often also revolves around the question of or what kind of games the hardware can handle. People educate themselves in topics when they ask questions like why wouldn't this game run on Switch for example. Questions or topics that were part of ever new hardware launch.

XBOX One X will launch soon... PS4 Pro is already here, many users of those systems are pretty pumped for it and many users will ask in threads of upcoming games will support the extra power of those machines or if patches or later updates. Same for potential PC versions... These questions get usually answered in a couple post and everyone moves on. We def. would have an easier time if people would react to Switch being mentioned in a similar way.

Well said.

dukie85

Well for many, it's not always strictly about lamenting that the Switch doesn't have a certain game, that they're missing out, but that said game would be more appealing if it was portable. Even with a PS4, there are occasionally games that come out where one might prefer to play it on the Switch. Like Persona 5, you got a PS4, you can play it. But if you also own a Switch, then it's not hard to see why someone wouldn't prefer it on there.

That's totally acceptable. Nothing wrong with that at all. What's annoying is when a game is announced and doesn't mention Switch, literally the 1st post is "Switch?" and nothing else, and you may never see the person that said it in the thread again. Though, I haven't seen one of those threads in ages.

PKrockin

I'd be more inclined to believe the sincerity of this sort of "frustration" if we didn't see people annoyed by port begging in threads discussing a developer asking people to port-beg.

And really, developers setting up this expectation that things can come to a platform if we ask REALLY HARD is a big part of what perpetuates port-begging in the first place. So please direct your ire towards them.
I haven't seen whatever thread you're referring to, but the people who want to port beg for the sake of getting the port could direct their begging to the actual developers and not to a forum the developer probably doesn't read.

After Capcom blamed the fans for not evangelizing enough and annoying everyone they knew about MML3 for the cancellation of the game, I stopped buying into the bullshit that it's our duty to do a corporation's marketing work for them.

NU29XY4.png

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
How does the FighterZ situation justify the port begging for every third party release?

You don't see a ton of port-begging for "every" third party release.

Also, "I'd like to see this non-exclusive game release on a portable platform" seems like justification to me. I don't get why it's an affront to anyone and, if you're not interested in engaging in that particular discussion, you can not reply to those posts. Kinda how you probably don't reply to 99% of the posts here, ya know?

Yeah, it's fine.

I personally see comments like this more than the actual portbegging!

Nah.

None are without sin, it's just that the Switch is currently the platform that gets fewer third-party titles than others.

I thought it's a bannable offense.

It is.

These two posts provide your answer on this:

I think it still is a punishable offense, but mods generally don't read every single post and most people don't bother to report it. I'm not so bothered by it that I'll report.
Mods can't be everywhere at once. It's probably best to PM them the thread in question if you see Switch port begging.

If you see it, report it. Preferably to a mod you see on gaming side on the regular, like duckroll, not I.

Why the hell is "port begging" demonized/looked down upon? Its a win win for developers and gamers who want the games. As someone who has the switch as my primary console, I want as many third party ports as possible. Anyone who disagrees isn't helping the cause.

Port-begging in and of itself isn't the issue.

Problem #1: It derails the thread because instead of discussion on the topic - "Pepsiman is coming to PS4!" - it's all, "Where is Pepsiman on Switch or PC?" One person doing that is fine. If more than half the posts are about that, we have an issue.

Problem #2: It derails the thread because folks cannot leave their console wars behind. So, "I think this could go on Switch" turns into "It couldn't fit on Switch" which is then "You're a moron, of course it could" which is then "Fuck off, you're an idiot." And now folks are banned. Sure there are folks that realize that developers/publisher have target specs, target platforms, and budgets that don't cover ports, but then there's the other 50% of the conversation.

So, no port-begging. Do we catch everything? No. Think of it like the board's version of jaywalking. We don't always see it, but it's still a problem.

You don't see a ton of port-begging for "every" third party release.

Also, "I'd like to see this non-exclusive game release on a portable platform" seems like justification to me. I don't get why it's an affront to anyone and, if you're not interested in engaging in that particular discussion, you can not reply to those posts. Kinda how you probably don't reply to 99% of the posts here, ya know?

Yeah, it's fine.
But it's against the rules, the problem isn't me ignoring it, it's posters breaking the forum rules in the first place.

Sky Walker

How about remasters begging ? I want my Mario Sunshine-Galaxy/2-3D World and Metroid Prime Trilogy remasters for my Switch :[

PK Gaming

Yep. Weird how #3 on the post below was quoted so much when it applies just the same here here as well. Can't control another person's behavior just like you can't control a game company's behavior.

I remember the days of people wishing that cross-platform games would end.

No, I'm not frustrated at all. I think port begging on GAF is baffling and pointless.

That's it.

Fat4all

Banned
How about remasters begging ? I want my Mario Sunshine-Galaxy/2-3D World and Metroid Prime Trilogy remasters for my Switch :[

I think that's a bit of a different beast, where a thread could be devoted to wanting certain fixes or upgrades to older games on newer consoles (or just wanting the opportunity to repay certain games fresh, or bring it back in a new light for a more modern audience).

There was several thread like that on wanting the ME Trilogy on the PS4/XBO, iirc

Kremzeek

I know it's probably hard for you to believe.. But there are probably users who really are genuine asking about a potential Switch version or it's possibility. Yet everything is regarded as port begging.

i hate to disappoint anyone, but port begging on this gaming forum is not going to get anything ported to Switch.

Top Bottom