• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does it Really Make Sense to Have Another Whole Generation of Nintendo Port Begging?

Plum

A lot of Switch """port begging""" (I dislike terms that make shitposts and goodposts seem equal) is down to the old tradition of publishers IQ scores dropping into single figures when faced by a Nintendo platform.

Capcom, for example, had two collections of Nintendo Entertainment System platformers and... didn't release them on a Nintendo console. EA has a casual life sim and is not releasing it on a platform tailor made for casual life sims with proven success from the Animal Crossing series. Nobody except Bethesda and the Lego people have thought to take advantage of a growing, hungry market with ports of popular 7th gen titles.

The constant terrible excuses by publishers and developers who think "We don't have any plans," or "The Switch is not powerful enough to run our game" are dirty words doesn't help either. Basically, if publishers got their arses in gear and met the demand for their games on the Switch there wouldn't be much "port begging" at all. You'd get the few stragglers who think KH3 and Assassin's Creed: Origins will make it to Switch but that'll always happen.

Cipherr

Forget that, leave them alone. Its straight jokes seeing some publisher attempt to comment on Switch and get the number of buttons wrong, or some other piece of obvious info incorrect. It really highlights how they arent paying ANY attention to Nintendo at all. I get a healthy gut laugh out of that every time.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Terrell

I haven't seen whatever thread you're referring to, but the people who want to port beg for the sake of getting the port could direct their begging to the actual developers and not to a forum the developer probably doesn't read.

After Capcom blamed the fans for not evangelizing enough and annoying everyone they knew about MML3 for the cancellation of the game, I stopped buying into the bullshit that it's our duty to do a corporation's marketing work for them.

They did. There was a... less-than-ideal response, to put it kindly. It got a thread discussing it. It was accused of port-begging.

How does the FighterZ situation justify the port begging for every third party release?

It doesn't justify it, by any means. But it and other situations like it that developers make heavily contribute to its frequency, without question.

How about remasters begging ? I want my Mario Sunshine-Galaxy/2-3D World and Metroid Prime Trilogy remasters for my Switch :[

No, because the thread would likely be about the Switch remasters themselves, hence, not a derail.

Examples of Switch-related remaster and port threads:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1411002
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1410018
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1406637

Does this mean you should create a port-beg thread for every game? God no.

Again, the issue is the derailing of otherwise fine threads, not necessarily port-begging itself.

It doesn't bother me at all I was just responding to someone who said port begging is why they got a port and I think if that's the objective twitter is the best place for it since it's a direct line to devs. As far as port begging or showing desire of having a game on a particular system that's never gonna go away on here and doesn't bother me. I've done it myself.

Mm...yeah, sorry if I got carried away, I understand your point better

KageMaru

I don't find it annoying but I do see what the OP is talking about. There's nothing wrong with hoping or being curious if a game will come to a system you own. The problem is some haven't realized that Nintendo systems are not the platforms to own if you're curious or interested in 3rd party titles. If the switch isn't mentioned during the original announcement, I think it's safe to assume a port is unlikely to happen.

Nah.

None are without sin, it's just that the Switch is currently the platform that gets fewer third-party titles than others.

It is.

These two posts provide your answer on this:

If you see it, report it. Preferably to a mod you see on gaming side on the regular, like duckroll, not I.

Port-begging in and of itself isn't the issue.

Problem #1: It derails the thread because instead of discussion on the topic - "Pepsiman is coming to PS4!" - it's all, "Where is Pepsiman on Switch or PC?" One person doing that is fine. If more than half the posts are about that, we have an issue.

Problem #2: It derails the thread because folks cannot leave their console wars behind. So, "I think this could go on Switch" turns into "It couldn't fit on Switch" which is then "You're a moron, of course it could" which is then "Fuck off, you're an idiot." And now folks are banned. Sure there are folks that realize that developers/publisher have target specs, target platforms, and budgets that don't cover ports, but then there's the other 50% of the conversation.

So, no port-begging. Do we catch everything? No. Think of it like the board's version of jaywalking. We don't always see it, but it's still a problem.

Would you say there are acceptable ways on GAF to express interest in games making their way to platforms they are not currently on? I mean, not simply "switch plz," but a more thoughtful post, perhaps in threads in which it might not be off topic?

I mean, if it's the GAF equivalent of jaywalking...there are actually appropriate times to cross the street.

I think the issue is complicated a bit by the fact that many developers and publishers these days explicitly mention porting "if there is enough interest," "if they see enough buzz," "if enough people say they would buy it on that platform." Is GAF not the place to leave feedback for these developers and publishers?

EDIT: I see your posts above saying it's fine as long as it's not a derail.

Gxgear

Would you say there are acceptable ways on GAF to express interest in games making their way to platforms they are not currently on? I mean, not simply "switch plz," but a more thoughtful post, perhaps in threads in which it might not be off topic?

I mean, if it's the GAF equivalent of jaywalking...there are actually appropriate times to cross the street.

I think the issue is complicated a bit by the fact that many developers and publishers these days explicitly mention porting "if there is enough interest," "if they see enough buzz," "if enough people say they would buy it on that platform." Is GAF not the place to leave feedback for these developers and publishers?

Slippery slope, and an eventual response will take it there.

Haano

No it doesn't. Splatoon 2 is the exact same game. Nothings changed. Same assets, same sound, same music, same gameplay.

They need new games, not ports. Ports suck. I didn't buy a 300£ switch so I could play £100 Wii u games.

It's fine as long it's in the background and not part of their main release schedule. A remaster or 2 a year isn't offensive to me.

No it doesn't. Splatoon 2 is the exact same game. Nothings changed. Same assets, same sound, same music, same gameplay.

They need new games, not ports. Ports suck. I didn't buy a 300£ switch so I could play £100 Wii u games.

Really doesn't need to be dignified with a response...but seriously you don't know the first thing about Splatoon 2. You didn't even realize there's a new OST? You haven't looked at any screenshots?

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/07/s...-head-to-head-comparison-with-the-first-game/

Futaleufu

How well have sold the released 3rd parties games on the Switch?

Has Bomberman, Shovel Knight or Minecraft managed to sell any meaningful amount of copies?

This kinda reminds me of the Wii. Everyone bought one or wanted one, but no third party devs really wanted to make games for it outside the usual few.

Why not? GAF is quite an influential forum, so why not voicing these type of requests of wanting a third party game in your platform. Be it Switch, PC, PlayStation or Xbox, it's a good thing exclusives are going the way of the dodo, much to the dismay of users clinging to their list wars.

This machine is powerful enough to play modern games, indie games most of all. It's only limited by it's control scheme. So probably things like Quake Champions or Starcraft remastered wont make much sense, but for all the other games... why not? It would be great if they could sell a joycon with a d pad for 2d games though.
Most important of all, it's selling pretty well so it's going to add to the publisher's bottomline.

Why not? GAF is quite an influential forum, so why not voicing these type of requests of wanting a third party game in your platform. Be it Switch, PC, PlayStation or Xbox, it's a good thing exclusives are going the way of the dodo, much to the dismay of users clinging to their list wars.

This machine is powerful enough to play modern games, indie games most of all. It's only limited by it's control scheme. So probably things like Quake Champions or Starcraft remastered wont make much sense, but for all the other games... why not? It would be great if they could sell a joycon with a d pad for 2d games though.
Most important of all, it's selling pretty well so it's going to add to the publisher's bottomline.

No it's really not. Not AAA games any way.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

popcorn.gif

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Nintendo fans should be port begging for the damn VC to show up on Switch.
Yeah.... No one ever on GAF has asked what's up with VC on Switch or when it is happening xD
Or multiple posts asking. Again, none are without sin.
Right now it's getting more difficult to answer such a question without some people escalating the issues asap just because the Switch got mentioned. I agree that both sides take blame for the situation at the end.. But often times a simple helpful answer would have ended the discussion about a potential. That's more helpful for the overall discussion environment than 10 people jumping on one post because someone dared to name the console that can't be named in a thread.

Because people want to discuss the games that the threads were created for rather than the feasibility or likelihood of a port to a console it hasn't been announced for. It derails conversation to will it/can it instead of conversation about the game itself.

The fact that it happens so often just adds to people's frustration.

I personally don't care if you like to port beg. But I think maybe we can tone down the switch port begging on this site in particular. Twitter works well for reaching out to decision makers too, I've done it. Maybe there can be a dedicated thread here for people to share which games they'd love on switch.

"Boy this would be great on my switch" and "I'd love to play this on the go on my switch" is a given at this point. It's not necessary to pop into every thread for a game you like make that statement.

Shifty

It would be great if this thread could get a release on the Switch.

(Completely agree. I love my Switch but it's tiresome seeing it pop up in every other thread.)

A lot of Switch """port begging""" (I dislike terms that make shitposts and goodposts seem equal) is down to the old tradition of publishers IQ scores dropping into single figures when faced by a Nintendo platform.

Capcom, for example, had two collections of Nintendo Entertainment System platformers and... didn't release them on a Nintendo console. EA has a casual life sim and is not releasing it on a platform tailor made for casual life sims with proven success from the Animal Crossing series. Nobody except Bethesda and the Lego people have thought to take advantage of a growing, hungry market with ports of popular 7th gen titles.
This is where I draw the line too. I don't see a problem in inquiring about Switch for games that make sense. There isn't any inflammatory console warrior shenanigans with that. Context is everything in this regard. There is a reason why you never go into threads about Evil Within 2 with people asking the Switch, something like that doesn't make sense.

Rncewind

Right now it's getting more difficult to answer such a question without some people escalating the issues asap just because the Switch got mentioned. I agree that both sides take blame for the situation at the end.. But often times a simple helpful answer would have ended the discussion about a potential. That's more helpful for the overall discussion environment than 10 people jumping on one post because someone dared to name the console that can't be named in a thread.

"Right now" im seeing like stuff like the sims 4 thread where people post like this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244562508&postcount=36
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244562584&postcount=37
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244562584#post244562584

who is acutally jumping on this fruitfull converstation? There is actually only one "inb4switchportbeggin" which is even not related to that.

While i agree with you overall, its not like people can not "dare" to name switch nor escalating because of it, its still pretty much the same switch port begging that the OP mentioned. And actually calling out the devs dumb for not bringing out their game on their favorite console, which i mentioned earlier which if you ask me is only a other level of shitposting, which also happens ALOT, directly or indirectly.

Trago

I think another thing Nintendo fans should do now more than ever is buy major third party releases on Switch to prove a point. Show these publishers that porting games to their platform is less of a risk than they think.

Y'all better buy Fifa and WWE 2K18 in droves.

Not really, considering Nintendo's decade long abysmal 3rd party support. BUT, I think people really just want a portable, non garbo mobile model, of games.

I know it's probably hard for you to believe.. But there are probably uses who really are genuine asking about a potential Switch version or it's possibility. Yet everything is regarded as port begging.

But that's really not what the OP's talking about. The switch posts that OP is referring to are the one's asking for a switch port, not asking whether or not one's been announced. Like I said - it's understandable that people want switch versions, particularly in light of the portability (we went through a similar phase with the Vita). But it de-rails threads.

EDIT: I see your posts above saying it's fine as long as it's not a derail.

A more thoughtful post is less likely to had a terse response that leads to the significant derails I'm talking about. The issue at its core is the response to your post is out of your control. There are a lot of things that would be considered port-begging, but folks said their piece and moved on. We're actually pretty lax on port-begging, all things considered.

I think you'd have a better chance of reaching the developer if you messaged them directly, but in the case that you want the game that much, a separate thread is a better option. The problem with that is we're reticent to let the floodgates open: if there are ten games announced in August, we don't want a topic for each game and *then* a topic for the port to another platform. It's a hard issue to tackle.

I can understand that desire, but many times, there's no simple helpful answer.

For example, "Why isn't the Disney Collection #2 coming to Switch?" No one on this board has an helpful answer beyond, "Because it isn't." It's up to the publisher and developer and absent a specific statement on matter, the question is sometimes actively useless because there's no good answer. This is one of the problems that persist and why responses will generally be a terse or angry version of the above "Because it isn't." That's slightly different from a situation where the developer is a ready participant in the thread in question.

zMiiChy-

Banned
I don't even have an interest in the Switch at the moment, but I think the complaints and jokes about port-begging are worse.

People can ignore those who request for ports without provoking them to derail the thread.

The only thing that really gets on my nerves is:
"THIS WOULD BE A PERFECT GAME FOR SWITCH"

That means literally nothing and it's incredibly annoying.

GunBR

A Nintendo console don't get a good third party support (outside of Japan) since the Super Nintendo
I don’t know why some people expect to be different this time

The Wii is the most sold console of all time and even him get a bad 3rd party support.
People just need to accept that the Switch is mostly a Nintendo first party machine and with Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, Metroid, Splatoon and many others, it looks good enough to me

I don't even have an interest in the Switch at the moment, but I think the complaints and jokes about port-begging are worse.

People can ignore those who request for ports without provoking them to derail the thread.

The only thing that really gets on my nerves is:
"THIS WOULD BE A PERFECT GAME FOR SWITCH"

That means literally nothing and it's incredibly annoying.

You can look towards threads about major titles coming to Switch, like Monster Hunter XX coming to Switch for the reverse.

It just makes things annoying all around, regardless of the direction. Because again, folks can't handle it in a decent way.

Why not create a port begging thread for each platform then in order to keep all the other threads clean? If it's too much work, only 2 threads can be created: One for valid port begging (PlayStation) and the other for invalid (rest of platforms)

No different than PC gamers port begging.

To be honest I don't care if another third party game ever comes to a Nintendo system. I buy Nin systems for their exclusives. I have a PS4 and Xbox One for everything else.

Terrell

How well have sold the released 3rd parties games on the Switch?

Has Bomberman, Shovel Knight or Minecraft managed to sell any meaningful amount of copies?

Minecraft is, yes, but it's also... y'know, MINECRAFT.

And you'd have to ask the developers what a meaningful amount is for a Shovel Knight port and a Bomberman remake.

Nah.
Email them or fill out surveys/petitions.
People asking 9287446 times for dragon ball fighterz etc to come to switch in a thread about the game is getting annoying as shit.

This is part of a larger problem where some on NeoGAF think that everyone in the industry hangs on our every word and can't be bothered to voice their desires or discontent elsewhere. It's a widespread problem that needs to be addressed.

It also certainly helps nothing that people chide and belittle campaigns to talk directly to companies making the decisions as useless or ineffective, either. That really helps nothing.

Trago

No different than PC gamers port begging.

To be honest I don't care if another third party game ever comes to a Nintendo system. I buy Nin systems for their exclusives. I have a PS4 and Xbox One for everything else.

Hey hey, I cut back on begging for a Persona 5 port for a solid six month now. :p

More to your point, that's a fine perspective to have, but there are certainly people out there who want to make the Switch their main system to play most games on, third party stuff included.

PKrockin

This is part of a larger problem where some on NeoGAF think that everyone in the industry hangs on our every word and can't be bothered to voice their desires or discontent elsewhere. It's a widespread problem that needs to be addressed.

It also certainly helps nothing that people chide and belittle campaigns to talk directly to companies making the decisions, either.
This. Some people around here seem to have an inflated sense of self-importance where they just assume developers are actually watching what people post on GAF. If you want your voice heard, you're probably better off tweeting the company or something.

depths20XX

It has gotten pretty old. It's even to the point where we get a random thread on some dev answering, "I dunno, we'll see if there's a Switch port". Then the thread is constant whining and complaints about why said dev should have a Switch port already in development.

jts

...hate me...
For years people have been port begging Nintendo games for PC, consoles (there's even a PS4 Mario bundle mock-up) and smartphones. Something that is actually ludicrous.

Oh wow and you don't want to get in a thread about Nintendo exclusive third party games. Remember Bayonetta 2? Mess.

At some level, what we call port begging is a simple and manifestation of a a more or less reasonable desire, many times we don't actually know how reasonable it is or not, until it happens. It feels wrong that it is bannable to express that kind of inoffensive opinion. So you could only talk about Rocket League after it was announced, even though it always seemed a perfect fit for the Switch? It's like being gagged.

Luckily the enforcement of that ban is reasonably lax. Although of course it's understandable that it shouldn't derail whole threads, which does unfortunately many times because of the whole "I don't want you to have thing" console wars bs.

Trago

This. Some people around here seem to have an inflated sense of self-importance where they just assume developers are actually watching what people post on GAF. If you want your voice heard, you're probably better off tweeting the company or something.

Or BUYING third party games on the Switch.

Top Bottom