• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does listening to rap make you a misogynist?

ethanny2

I was recently told by a girl that I was a sexist/misogynist because I listen to rap music. Now I understand that rap songs have lyrics that are demeaning to women, ("bitch" , "hoe" etc...) but I just enjoy the beat and like the flow of the song. Plus a lot of the newer artists (sorry I know Neogaf hates new rappers) like Future don't even do a lot of things they rap about (e.g do drugs), its mostly a persona made for them by their label or themselves. I've had other girls tell me they like rap, and I know a lot of people love rap, but just because a lot of people do something doesn't mean its right.

And... I can see how it would be considered detrimental to the advancement of women in today's society, but when I listen to rap I do so have a good time with a drink. Of course, I also listen to rap from "woke" rappers like Kendrick and tupac, but while they talk about social issues like black lives matter or the racism, they still use demeaning terms for woman.

Recently in his song Humble Kendrick lamar said and I quote

"I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of the Photoshop
Show me somethin' natural like afro on Richard Pryor
Show me somethin' natural like ass with some stretch marks"

it was met with some backlash from women on the internet, here is 1 comment ( which does not reflect the discourse everywhere on the internet, but it was the quickest one I could find)
I'm not with it. Black women are not here for your visual or sexual pleasure. We are our own.

So what do you guys think? Does listening to rap make you a misogynist?
EDIT: Or does listening to rap contribute to the plight of women in today's society? (B/C you support the artists who say these things)

DamnBoxes

So what do you guys think? Does listening to rap make you a misogynist?

UVcePdz.gif

Majine

Banned
I'm not into rap, but the qualities that I seek in music is good rhythm and sound.

If there is messaging in there that conflicts with my world view, well, shame, but that's not why I listen to it. Also separate the art from the artist.

No, but that also doesn't prevent you from acknowledging that rap can have misogynistic lyrics.

It's okay to watch media and realize it has issues. I love James Bond, but depending on what I'm watching, it can be very sexist or racist.

Does that chick wear makeup?

These über Feminist go so damn hardbody against everything but be choosing what they want to tolerate.

It depends on how far you want to go with the "being a consumer of unethical products makes you implicit in the harm that product causes" line of thought. While I can sort of see where someone's coming from with that, it would be ridiculous to try to assign any meaningful responsibility to millions of consumers who are just looking for entertainment.

I'd say no, it does not.

mr2xxx

Banned
It doesn't but its not a good look when you take out your mom for mothers day and the place suddenly decides to go from Mexican music to hearing Kurupt rap about how bitches ain't shit to him.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
No, but that also doesn't prevent you from acknowledging that rap can have misogynistic lyrics.

It's okay to watch media and realize it has issues. I love James Bond, but depending on what I'm watching, it can be very sexist or racist.

Yep.

If you find yourself most connecting with the lyrics speaking of misogynistic things, you might be one.

Otherwise you're probably cool.

Does voting for Trump make you a racist? Maybe not, but you sure aren't helping the cause.

Most rap isn't good for society tbh. That's why whenever I feel like I need to hear some wholesome flows and beats, I put on some Logic or Eminem. Chance The Rapper is a good choice as well. Beyond that maybe some Will Smith, cause these parents just don't understand, forreal.

Does voting for Trump make you a racist? Maybe not, but you sure aren't helping the cause.

Most rap isn't good for society tbh. That's why whenever I feel like I need to hear some wholesome flows and beats, I put on some Logic or Eminem. Chance The Rapper is a good choice as well. Beyond that maybe some Will Smith, cause these parents just don't understand, forreal.

LOL?

Kyzer

Banned
I dont see a problem with what Kendrick said, people expect people to be asexual or something, people like fucking; and hes saying he is more attracted to imperfections whats the deal

not sure if serious

Top Bottom