• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does listening to rap make you a misogynist?

Does voting for Trump make you a racist? Maybe not, but you sure aren't helping the cause.

Most rap isn't good for society tbh. That's why whenever I feel like I need to hear some wholesome flows and beats, I put on some Logic or Eminem. Chance The Rapper is a good choice as well. Beyond that maybe some Will Smith, cause these parents just don't understand, forreal.
I dedicated the song "kim" by Eminem to my more recent ex because I miss her. I dont understand why she wont talk to me.

You mean a small minority of women on twitter misinterpreted and complained about Humble while the vast majority of women who listened to the song on twitter had no issue with it and quote the line approvingly? Because that's what happened.

Rap has a lot of misogyny sure, though. But pointing to that line is laughable to me.

HiiiLife

No,but I am specifically talking about like "trap" rap like Migos etc... and stuff where they say a lot of crude stuff.

I take it you're both white and from the suburbs.

The obvious answer is yes. We are misogynistic, and homophobic thanks to the likes of eminem.

Dereck

Does voting for Trump make you a racist? Maybe not, but you sure aren't helping the cause.

Most rap isn't good for society tbh. That's why whenever I feel like I need to hear some wholesome flows and beats, I put on some Logic or Eminem. Chance The Rapper is a good choice as well. Beyond that maybe some Will Smith, cause these parents just don't understand, forreal.
t036xE6.gif

Dommo

How about instead of reducing the OP's sentiments into binary thoughts and turn the thread into useless ribbing of the poster, actually try to read into the possible issue he raises?

At this point I doubt most people on NeoGaf actually think media doesn't influence our thoughts/values/perceptions in some quantifiable way. It's ridiculous to say "GTA doesn't make me murder people, so art in general has no influence on anything I do." This is a forum that often (and rightfully) raises the problems of a predominantly white, male dominated Hollywood - specifically because media can influence the way we perceive different demographics in negative ways.

In the same way that the film industry should be seeking to create a more inclusive, better represented, less bigoted output of its media, surely we can expect the same from the music industry? And using slurs like "bitch" and "hoe" unironically in songs begging to be sung out by the masses can surely be seen as problematic.

No, I don't think it makes you a misogynist. But this stuff definitely doesn't help the cause and at worst is reinforcing negative perceptions of women. It's probably inappropriate to call out all rap music in general, but I don't really have a problem with people deliberately avoiding specific artists because of the language/messages they send in their songs.

JP_

Banned
No, but that also doesn't prevent you from acknowledging that rap can have misogynistic lyrics.

It's okay to watch media and realize it has issues. I love James Bond, but depending on what I'm watching, it can be very sexist or racist.

(and rap isn't the only music with issues)

Kthulhu

No, but that also doesn't prevent you from acknowledging that rap can have misogynistic lyrics.

It's okay to watch media and realize it has issues. I love James Bond, but depending on what I'm watching, it can be very sexist or racist.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

We all love videogames, but it doesn't stop us from pointing out some of the more problematic things that can and do work their way into them (well, some of the time).

ethanny2

I take it you're both white and from the suburbs.

The obvious answer is yes. We are misogynistic, and homophobic thanks to the likes of eminem.

No im actually half Trinidadian and she was Chilean. I love rap, don't see how this effects my questions though.

HiiiLife

No im actually half Trinidadian and she was Chilean. I love rap, don't see how this effects my questions though.

Do you both listen to country or rock and roll? Because it's silly to think rap is the only genre that subjects its listeners to these types of lyrics.

NandoGip

I was raised by rap music but also a single mother. Guess where i inherited my morals from? Saying a genre of music is a detriment to society is ignorant on multiple levels

In the same way that the film industry should be seeking to create a more inclusive, better represented, less bigoted output of its media, surely we can expect the same from the music industry? And using slurs like "bitch" and "hoe" unironically in songs begging to be sung out by the masses can surely be seen as problematic.

Sure but art has no requirement to censor itself. Things exist to be listened to or viewed or not. I don't agree with the viewpoint in a lot of rap music but because the messaging is problematic I don't for one second think that it should be toned down or tamed. Given the world we live in people should be taught media education to understand perspectives and intent.

Dommo

Sure but art has no requirement to censor itself. Things exist to be listened to or viewed or not. I don't agree with the viewpoint in a lot of rap music but because the messaging is problematic I don't for one second think that it should be toned down or tamed. Given the world we live in people should be taught media education to understand perspectives and intent.

No one's asking for anything to be censored. That doesn't mean artists are free from criticism for their brash content. If a rapper is liberally and callously spouting 'bitch' every second sentence for no apparent reason, it's well within reason for that rapper to be called out for it.

Like I said, this forum has no problem tearing down Hollywood a few pegs whenever they get into murky social quibbles. Walking into the Ghost in the Shell thread amidst the whitewashing stuff and saying "Yeah but they've got no requirement to censor themselves. It's the consumer's responsibility to educate themselves on the matter and if they don't want to see it then don't see it" wouldn't go down too well.

It's a two way street where the onus is on both the artist and the consumers to create a healthier, more accepting society. Demand higher standards.

Sometimes the answers to threads like this feel so self-evident (no listening to rap doesn't make you a misogynist but you can also be critical of the media you consume) that I wonder if they aren't made for some ulterior purpose just to rile people up.

No. I love rap and am not misogynistic. That said I think that not enough is done to confront the unsavory lyrics that a lot of rap has. I like the beats and flow and don't really pay attention lyrically.

- J - D -

I was raised by rap music but also a single mother. Guess where i inherited my morals from? Saying a genre of music is a detriment to society is ignorant on multiple levels

rappers love their mothers. It's a weird dichotomy sometimes you have on an album where there's a song paying heartfelt tribute to their mothers/grandmothers and then immediately following with songs about fucking bitches and hoes (a DMX album comes to mind). Misogyny? I can't answer that.

I only really listen to Scroobius Pip in terms of rap and his lyrics just aren't.

"Thou shalt remember that guns, bitches and bling were never part of the four elements and never will be."

ChouGoku

Rap is entertainment to me, the same way listening to rap (at least the rap I listen to) doesn't make me want to deal drugs, kill, shoot someone for the simplest reasons, etc.

Chuckie

I remember when I was young, I once put a hanger on a stove. I let it there for about half an hour.
I then proceeded to insert it into some man's ass slowly.

Top Bottom