• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Breeds You'd Get if Nothing Stood in Your Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Wolfdog (Low-content) GSD, Malamute, or Husky mix. Again, a large animal. I'm actually planning on getting one of these in the near future.

Your turn, GAF.

Excellent choice. Totally illegal in my state (MD), but they do seem really cool. I would always be slightly on edge about owning an actual hybrid, though. There was some place (not sure if it's still around) in the southern U.S. where a guy had bred several generations of shepherd/wolf hybrids and selected for positive behavioral traits etc. I guess if I could find a breeder like that I would be more open to it.

nico1982

Needs more head stabilization technology.

g8eAfB2.gif
Saved, thanks XD

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I love my Boston. And I am going to get a frenchie. But I want a gigantic dog to ride around. I went with little short haired dogs because I live in an apartment but I really want a St. Bernard. Lol.

Amalthea

Banned
A Bernese, they are such cuddly hulking teddies.

There lives one on a neighbouring farm who always comes to me when I pass by. Last time I petted him he decided just to come with me, wich was pretty awkward. Took a while till I got him not to follow me further.

Mupod

I'm not really the type to get my own dog even though I like them a lot. I've always ended up taking care of pets for people because I have sisters who think puppies and kittens are cute, but then don't want to deal with grown-up dogs and cats. My brother's Great Dane is the best dog ever when he's not being a spoiled little shit though.

But yeah I've always liked German Shepherds so that's what I'd pick. I would never get a small yappy dog and realistically I'd just get some kind of mutt. Shepherd/husky mixes are very common where I'm from and they are great dogs.

I already have the best dof I'll ever have. He's a Rottweiler/lab mix, and he's a mean son of a bitch when I'm gone, but as soon as I'm home, he's my big ol teddy bear.

But if nothing stood in my way?
Ammy-okami-amaterasu-16966732-302-337.jpg

The things standing in my way are lack of responsibility and willingness to pay attention to something. But if I could overcome those things, I would get a really scruffy mutt.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Irish Wolfhound for sure.

Grew up with Irish Wolfhounds, and had a wolfhound/mastiff mix once. They are really wonderful family pets.

That life expectancy is a fucking drag, though.

Jaeger

Excellent choice. Totally illegal in my state (MD), but they do seem really cool. I would always be slightly on edge about owning an actual hybrid, though. There was some place (not sure if it's still around) in the southern U.S. where a guy had bred several generations of shepherd/wolf hybrids and selected for positive behavioral traits etc. I guess if I could find a breeder like that I would be more open to it.

Absolutely. I've been taking my sweet time making this decision so it wouldn't be an impulse kind of thing. I wanted to be well informed, and ready of whatever challenges that I would face owning a wolfdog would have. After studying up as much as I could (and speaking with a few breeders/owners), I have come to the conclusion that a lower-content wolfdog would be perfect for me. I've previously owned a Husky as a kid, and spend a lot of time with many other large breeds. They have helped me get an understanding of large dog breeds and how I would need to care for them.

I initially was considering a Malamute x Husky Mix, then an "American Alsatian", and then finally a Tamaskan before coming around to an actual wolfdog.

All are incredibly beautiful, but none quite have the "wolf" look enough for me than an actual wolfdog. And a low-content wolfdog can still look just as much like a wolf as their higher content cousins, which is fascinating. They also don't have some of the challenges that come along with higher-content wolfdogs.

Bz7lhHh.jpg
- Low-content Wolfdogs. Crazy, eh?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
a border collie. They seem like the best, but I know they take a lot of work and need a lot of running around time. Maybe one day :(

Jag

I've already had:

A Samoyed
HkyRz5w.jpg

An Akita
MCHtTBA.jpg

A Weimariener
vdGaX5g.jpg

And currently have 2 Vizslas.
QraX9I8l.jpg

(great family dogs)

dankir

I have two chihuahuas now but I also want a really big dog. The wife is against but without hesistation, Tibetan Mastiff all day baby!

German shepherd.

They're super loyal and are good family dogs. They also have a strong character.
The ones I've interacted with have always been protective but 0 agression and no mean streak, which is a pretty good combination I think.
The kind of dog that would bite someone assaulting you but would never bite your neighbours or some passerby on walks.

One of my friends growing up had one of these, she was such a bro. Kind of aloof at first then once they bond with you they're your best friend.
It's always been appealing to me to have a dog that you have to work to bond with.

The dog was an unruly jerk as a pup (jumping, that german shepherd jaw snapping thing they do, play biting) but once raised properly and after it calmed down as it grew up it became an awesome dog.
She was also awesome with toddlers and babies.

Sadly it's not practical to keep one of these when you live in an appartment:( You need a big yard.

esms

German shepherd.

They're super loyal and are good family dogs. They also have a strong character.
The ones I've interacted with have always been protective but 0 agression, which is a pretty good combination I think.
The kind of dog that would bite someone assaulting you but would never bite your neighbours or some passerby on walks.

One of my friends growing up had one of these, she was such a bro. Kind of aloof at first then once they bond with you they're your best friend.
It's always been appealing to me to have a dog that you have to work to bond with.

The dog was an unruly jerk as a pup (jumping, that german shepherd jaw snapping thing they do, play biting) but once raised properly it became an awesome dog.
She was also awesome with toddlers and babies.

Sadly it's not practical to keep one of these when you live in an appartment:( You need a big yard.

Girlfriend saved an all black, 3 m/o German Shepherd yesterday. Trying to train it to not bark at the TV and its own reflection. Shits rough.

I have a 9 month old. Incredibly smart, loyal, and difficult to wear out. Highly recommended if you have an active lifestyle. She's also incredibly sweet.

The active lifestyle is the barrier right now. I'm a homebody when I'm not working and I don't believe in crating a dog all day. I'd rather him/her have a large backyard to roam around in during the day.

Girlfriend saved an all black, 3 m/o German Shepherd yesterday. Trying to train it to not bark at the TV and its own reflection. Shits rough.

You have to be really firm with them and set clear boundaries.
Not a dog for a first time owner or someone who likes to baby their dog.

The friend's german pup was a little shithead until the awesome owners taught it some discipline and made it clear that the dog wasn't the boss.

They have a strong will and are pretty independant and will test you constantly as a pup.

Don't be so sure (worst video ever but it illustrates the point)
https://youtu.be/4upJPlOurWg?t=106
Well ever dog has its own personality...

My friend's shepherd would bark and pose himself between the friend (or me) and strangers when they became too loud or when they were wrestling or play fighting.
We couldn't playfight or wrestle with kids (I say kids, we were all about 15 at the time) or relatives the dog didn't know because the dog would nip at their ankles or ass after a while (which is why I said no agression, he never bit)

He also made a lot of noise if strangers entered the yard. (very intimidating to them but she wasn't a biter , noone ever believed you if you said it was fine to come in:p)

My family's little king charles spaniel (really submissive dogs in general, including ours) would do the same :p Even though I'd generally categorise that breed as submissive , sweet, lapdog cowards she had a little guarddog streak in her.
She once went batshit snarling insane at a guy who was yelling at my father through the car window xD
We've had 3 of them and some relatives have some too and they're generally all really really submissive lapdogs.

That particular dog in your video seems to be oblivious or scared.

Again,different dogs can have different personalities.
4 out of the 5 golden retrievers that I've ever met have been agressive to other people or other pets and should not be let near children. So there's always exceptions.

I also knew one really agressive (mechelse) shepherd that had to be put down because he couldn't be trained and bit everyone (same family that raised the amazing shepherd and a bunch of other great dogs, so not owner's fault)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Holy shit I need one of these! I also like Irish wolfhounds but I believe they only live 5-6 years typically.

The average is around 7 I think, but 5 is not that uncommon. Our Wolfhound/Mastiff mix made it to 8.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, a 180 pound wolfhound/mastff mix is the most hilariously effective guard dog I have ever encountered. The bark alone stops people in their tracks.

I'm allergic to dogs, but I really, really want a dog someday and this thread is killing me.

Find an Ears/Nose/Throat (ENT) doctor; they usually handle allergies. You can get shots that reduce or eliminate allergic reactions. My mom has to do it for dogs, cats, dust mites, her own ears, etc. etc.

Volimar

The average is around 7 I think, but 5 is not that uncommon. Our Wolfhound/Mastiff mix made it to 8.

Also, in case anyone is wondering, a 180 pound wolfhound/mastff mix is the most hilariously effective guard dog I have ever encountered. The bark alone stops people in their tracks.

Why the low life span? Their size too tough on their heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom