• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog Breeds You'd Get if Nothing Stood in Your Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

genjiZERO

tea cup poodle. I think they are too small from an ethical point of view, but if I knew they'd be healthy for a long time I'd definitely get one. They have everything going for them: small so they don't eat a lot or get in the way, don't shed, barely have any odor, and are smarter than most every other dog breed.

For non dogs:

A raccoon. Apparently they are domesticable and will walk around upright while holding your hand. How bad ass is that?

A fox. They are such beautiful animals and I'd love one of these Russian ones. But I can't afford it.

A hairless cat. I actually like cats a whole lot, but the hair and litter-box get in the way.

DD

Alpine Mastiff: (Extinct)
1815_Alpine_Mastiff.jpg
Looks like a Brazilian Fila.

Edit: just found out that it's also called Brazilian Mastiff.

I've always liked Chows, but I've heard they are not the smartest dogs. My parents always had English Springer Spaniels, so I'm partial to them.

Alx

Any dog will do really, but I'd like to have a Rottweiler. I like big, heavy and smart dogs.

Freaking love Border Collies, such amazing, intelligent animals.

But they're a dog that requires attention, you need to be active with them.

I've always wanted an Australian Shepherd.
JpPkvQx.jpg

Australian Cattle Dog. Once I have my fence in my backyard installed, I might consider it.

a border collie. They seem like the best, but I know they take a lot of work and need a lot of running around time. Maybe one day :(

The active lifestyle is the barrier right now. I'm a homebody when I'm not working and I don't believe in crating a dog all day. I'd rather him/her have a large backyard to roam around in during the day.

I saw these posts and assume that for all of them the issue is largely one of the herding breeds' reputation for needing work.

While it's very true that all these dog are basically the most high energy dog breeds in my experience it's a little overblown how active they truly really are. A lot of it seems to come down the lineage and training of the dogs. If the dogs come from a line of primarily working dogs you're going to have a dog that needs to get those recommended 5 miles a day. However lines that are mostly for confirmation (traditional dog show) are noticeably more laid back. Generally speaking a respectable breeder is going to show their dogs at some kind of competition, so its not too hard to find the right line. Don't get me wrong though it's still a ton of dedication and work, but it's more manageable than people are led to believe. If you want one of these dog breeds because you want a dog that is more engaging then you have the right attitude and you'll be fine. Just never get one simply because of how they look or how smart you've heard they are.

I'm by no means an expert, but that's been my experience after two years of having a Mini Aussie and being exposed to a large variety of different dogs every weekend at a dog park.

I love all dogs. I love Boston Terriers because they're a great dog for my lifestyle... Active, fit, small, they don't bark much, are generally good with kids, don't shed. My Boston is just over 4-years-old and he's still super energetic. Even after long runs (well, 2mi) he's really amped up when guests come over for the first half hour, so I'll be glad when he (eventually) chills out over the next couple years.

But I also like large dogs, but I'm not sure if I could handle the short life span of many larger breeds. I absolutely love Boxers (basically Boston Terriers are miniature boxers), but the 8 - 10 year lifespan would bum me out almost every day. Really love Springer Spaniels for that medium size.

I love my Boston. And I am going to get a frenchie. But I want a gigantic dog to ride around. I went with little short haired dogs because I live in an apartment but I really want a St. Bernard. Lol.

Fellow Boston owner. Here he is all geared up for football season:
seO7v8Sl.png

(his smelly puppy blanket/bed that he carries around the house with him is crumbled up beside him)

We had to dog sit this blind toy poodle a couple weeks ago, and my dog was just like "man... get this guy away from me... I wanna sleep"

RDZhD1pl.png

Well since I keep seeing a lot of people say Shiba I guess it's a good time as any to post pics of mine
qAWwpwz.jpg

WxPiM33.jpg

8s2NgQb.png

oohdFuQ.png

He was seriously the best wing-man you could ever ask for

I saw these posts and assume that for all of them the issue is largely one of the herding breeds' reputation for needing work.

While it's very true that all these dog are basically the most high energy dog breeds in my experience it's a little overblown how active they truly really are. A lot of it seems to come down the lineage and training of the dogs. If the dogs come from a line of primarily working dogs you're going to have a dog that needs to get those recommended 5 miles a day. However lines that are mostly for confirmation (traditional dog show) are noticeably more laid back. Generally speaking a respectable breeder is going to show their dogs at some kind of competition, so its not too hard to find the right line. Don't get me wrong though it's still a ton of dedication and work, but it's more manageable than people are led to believe. If you want one of these dog breeds because you want a dog that is more engaging then you have the right attitude and you'll be fine. Just never get one simply because of how they look or how smart you've heard they are.

I'm by no means an expert, but that's been my experience after two years of having a Mini Aussie and being exposed to a large variety of different dogs every weekend at a dog park.

Thank you for the information. For me, though, I typically adopt through a shelter instead of a breeder and my local shelter carries multiple ACDs throughout the year (either full breed or mix) so determining their level of activity is harder I'd imagine. Plus, I have 3 cats and finding a dog that isn't predatory is difficult. After an ACD, I'd love a pug.

I love my Boston. And I am going to get a frenchie. But I want a gigantic dog to ride around. I went with little short haired dogs because I live in an apartment but I really want a St. Bernard. Lol.

Just beware: Pretty much all of those gigantic dog breeds have tragically short life spans.

Thank you for the information. For me, though, I typically adopt through a shelter instead of a breeder and my local shelter carries multiple ACDs throughout the year (either full breed or mix) so determining their level of activity is harder I'd imagine. Plus, I have 3 cats and finding a dog that isn't predatory is difficult. After an ACD, I'd love a pug.

Yeah the abandonment is a serious problem with ACDs, Border Collies, and Aussies because want a smart dog and have no idea what they are getting in to. There is a dedicated Aussie shelter in my area that is absolutely heart breaking. I don't even live close to a big city, but the place usually has about 30 dogs at a time.

Armaros

Yeah the abandonment is a serious problem with ACDs, Border Collies, and Aussies because want a smart dog and have no idea what they are getting in to. There is a dedicated Aussie shelter in my area that is absolutely heart breaking. I don't even live close to a big city, but the place usually has about 30 dogs at a time.

Same issue with Huskies.

People buy them for their looks and their fluffiness as a puppy and they end up with super smart, independent house/yard destroying escape artists.

A bored Husky is a destroyed house/yard.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I would be willing to murder someone without regret if I could own a Corgi or a Swedish Vallhund. I am currently not equipped to own or spend the time taking care of a pup though, so my future dog named Ampersand will have to wait.

pulsemyne

Staffs, staffs are awesome. I have one and he's brilliant. My sister has two dog de bordeux (the dog from turner and hooch). They are just brilliant fun. Utter loveable big lugs. One of them is enourmous though, he weighs about 170 pounds (not fat either). Gentle dogs though and surprisingly okay to walk as well.
DogueDeBordeauxRoxyReese22.jpg

The ultimate dog though, and banned in Britain, is the Argentinian dogo
Dogo-Argentino-puppies-for-sale.jpg

These things are absolute beasts.

NH Apache

Banned
Probably a Great Danebull. Mix of a pit and Great Dane with the Dane personality.

108139929.jpg

169c54e7ef862c684ec59b50f96c06e7.jpg

I've met a few and they are amazing.

Also, my dog is pretty fucking awesome. English Shepherd named Ronin. About 45 pounds. Early warning for people around the house and super affectionate. Incredible personality and always wants to play with other dogs. He is 7 now.

Here is is with Abita, out other dog, a 45 lb pit.

I'm not sure if I would get another pit again, not because she isn't amazing. She is. She is the most affectionate and gentle dog I have ever met. But the restrictions about where we can take her, the image of having her, and other things make life more difficult.

Corgi, Doberman, and or a Border Collie. All three are great. Had a Rottweiler so I kinda get how bigger/dogs people are intimidated by work but damn corgi's are charming as all heck and I usually hate the smaller stubby breeds.

Australian Cattle Dog. Once I have my fence in my backyard installed, I might consider it.

We have a cattle dog/corgi mix and a cattle dog (he's a bit on the small side though, 25 lbs give or take).

I would get more if nothing stood in my way. We already compete in flyball and agility, so basically we would form our own dog sport team. Give me all the cattle dogs!

Prax

Canadian Eskimo (Inuit) Dogs!!!
They look like huskies or malamutes, but are an older breed supposedly?
The Canadian Eskimo Dog is an ancient breed of dog whose history is strictly related to the Inuit people.

The Canadian Eskimo Dog is also called Inuit or Qimmiq which simply means dog in the Inuit language.
TorchHill_700x557.jpg

390904_10150377623793850_652313849_8295589_908471088_n.jpg

309792_10150377665263850_652313849_8295864_696426325_n.jpg

Aaaa.. I want...!

mkenyon

Banned
I already have the dogs that I'd get if nothing stood in my way. Two Border Collies. One has a bit of Aussie in her along the way, much more human focused. The pup is a smooth hair Border Collie bred for cattle work.

The level of intelligence, athleticism, and eagerness to follow commands is unparalleled.

I do want to also get a Belgian Shepherd as well, probably a Malinois.

Wait, are these dogs one can obtain without breeding?
I'd love a Huskcorgi, but I don't think it'd be ethical to go to a breeder for one.
Yeah, it is not a cross like that, this is a breed that has existed for a long while.

Kylarean

Have a two year old.

She's my wife's, but she thinks she is mine. Nobody can come near me or she gets upset (I can no longer go to the dog park with them). My wife is the sheep, so she is always biting at my wife's heels.

I've been in love of Siberian Husky ever since I knew that breed existed.

Thing is, I'd rather adopt a random dog instead of buying one.
And as you know, Huskies are not very common In shelters so..

There are rescues out there that are breed specific (although often rescue other breeds as well). Here in New Jersey we have Husky House. And, unfortunately, a lot of people get huskies just because of their looks and cannot handle their personalities. So many end up in shelters. They of course get adopted very quickly. Check your local shelter's webpage and facebook pages often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom