• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

kick51

Banned
Sweet. Hopefully this fixes the lightning in REmake randomly turning into a Merzbow song on full blast. That's a little too "horror" for me :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've been thinking of doing a fresh run of Skyward Sword in Dolphin. How's performance/issues? From memory, the Wii build ran at 30fps, so as long as I'm getting that I'd be happy.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
TP still busted, HLE audio is unbearable and LLE is too demanding with Hyrule Field loaded.

Garteal

I've been thinking of doing a fresh run of Skyward Sword in Dolphin. How's performance/issues? From memory, the Wii build ran at 30fps, so as long as I'm getting that I'd be happy.
If memory serves, you have a 2500K @ 4.5GHz correct?
The game runs great and shouldn't have any big issues. You'll have a constant 30FPS with that setup.

Can corroborate. Music still stops completely after ~1 song loop when using HLE on SMG1 and 2.
Yes, this hasn't been fixed yet. You'll still have to use LLE for Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nice. I guess I should update. But one of the issues I have with the emulator is mapping things to the 360 controller. The version I have doesn't make "A/B/X/Y/RT/LT/RB/LB" designations but "button 1, button 2, button 3" which is confusing as all hell in mapping all the stuff.

kick51

Banned
Nice. I guess I should update. But one of the issues I have with the emulator is mapping things to the 360 controller. The version I have doesn't make "A/B/X/Y/RT/LT/RB/LB" designations but "button 1, button 2, button 3" which is confusing as all hell in mapping all the stuff.

argh, i always end up taking a long enough time figuring this out to make me feel like i'm missing part of my brain

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If memory serves, you have a 2500K @ 4.5GHz correct?
The game runs great and shouldn't have any big issues. You'll have a constant 30FPS with that setup.

2500K @ 4.3Ghz. Happy with 30fps. 1080p would be nice too. I'm pretty sure the Wii build didn't run at 60fps. Can someone clarify for me?

Garteal

2500K @ 4.3Ghz. Happy with 30fps. 1080p would be nice too. I'm pretty sure the Wii build didn't run at 60fps. Can someone clarify for me?
Yeah, you'll be fine. You have a good GPU too iirc so you should be able to run it at over 1080p easily. And yes, it's a 30FPS game.

StevieP

Banned
Does this have better optomization for lower end hardware? I have a Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q894 and I cannot get Dolphin to run the way I want.

Not even console level "optimization" (lol sorry) a can make 1.7ghz gen 1 i7 strong enough to emulate it to a playable state.

EatChildren - the only time my skyward sword disc touched my Wii was to get ripped. I played through the entire game pretty much on your setup at your clock rate and outside a couple locks and a couple frame drops here and there it was smooth and gorgeous

The addition of support for official Nintendo WFC online play is super cool, but does anyone else feel like they're treading in very unethical territory?

Let's be honest here, in a majority of cases, the people who play games in emulators don't actually buy the games. Power to you if you do, but you're in the minority.

That's already unethical, but at least it isn't directly costing Nintendo money. Yeah, you may be causing them to miss out on potential revenue, but that's a bit different than actually taking money. Online play servers, however, actually cost money to maintain. By using them, you are directly taking money from Nintendo.

Of course, if people steal games, that isn't Dolphin's fault... but even if you DID buy the game, I kind of feel like you shouldn't be using Nintendo's servers unless you paid for the console as well. Again, directly costing money and all that...

Excellent, now that I'm nearly done with Tales of Xillia, maybe I'll get back to Xenoblade! My main issue though, is how do I configure my DS3's to be able to work with my computer. I've tried Better DS3, but I feel like it's a bad idea to have to install MotionInJoy for the drivers. I tried installing just the drivers manually, but I don't think I can have a DS3 driver at the same time as I have a WiiMote compatible driver installed on a single Bluetooth adapter. I actually have two Bluetooth adapters, one built in one that comes out from the back of my motherboard, and a USB adapter that I bought to be placed on a forward facing location, because the other one wasn't good enough for proper WiiMote gameplay.

So I tried uninstalling the drivers, then "clean" installing the drivers through MotionInJoy, and then deleting MotionInJoy to be replaced with Better DS3. I would install the MotionInJoy drivers to the built in one, that is not suited to WiiMote play, but the menu for installing drivers is empty, nothing is there. Is this because the drivers are already detected by MotionInJoy? Would a Bluetooth adapter too slow for a Wiimote really work fine for a regular controller like DS3 in the first place? Even before I uninstalled DS3 drivers, Better DS3 had issues detecting my controller with just Bluetooth, and I had to plug it in with USB, which isn't really convenient. It also had issues even playing after that, and that was when I was using the forward facing USB adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seronei

So have they changed how to add custom textures in this version? I can't get the WW HD texture pack to work.

Edit: You put them in the documents now don't you? That sucks, rather not use my SSD for this. I guess you can move it?

Andrefpvs

Here's a technical question:

If I use a Gamecube GBA adapter (for Pokémon games or Zelda Four Swords, for example) with a Gamecube controller USB adapter, can I use the GBA link functionality with compatible Gamecube games?

Garteal

Can you move saves over to 4.0?
Yes, the default location is My Documents/Dolphin Emulator, but you can easily change it to whatever directory you want. See the guide for more details.

Excellent, now that I'm nearly done with Tales of Xillia, maybe I'll get back to Xenoblade! My main issue though, is how do I configure my DS3's to be able to work with my computer. I've tried Better DS3, but I feel like it's a bad idea to have to install MotionInJoy for the drivers. I tried installing just the drivers manually, but I don't think I can have a DS3 driver at the same time as I have a WiiMote compatible driver installed on a single Bluetooth adapter. I actually have two Bluetooth adapters, one built in one that comes out from the back of my motherboard, and a USB adapter that I bought to be placed on a forward facing location, because the other one wasn't good enough for proper WiiMote gameplay.

So I tried uninstalling the drivers, then "clean" installing the drivers through MotionInJoy, and then deleting MotionInJoy to be replaced with Better DS3. I would install the MotionInJoy drivers to the built in one, that is not suited to WiiMote play, but the menu for installing drivers is empty, nothing is there. Is this because the drivers are already detected by MotionInJoy? Would a Bluetooth adapter too slow for a Wiimote really work fine for a regular controller like DS3 in the first place? Even before I uninstalled DS3 drivers, Better DS3 had issues detecting my controller with just Bluetooth, and I had to plug it in with USB, which isn't really convenient. It also had issues even playing after that, and that was when I was using the forward facing USB adapter. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
MotionInJoy and SCP both override the Bluetooth device drivers. You can only use it for the DS3 when you install either of them.
There's nothing wrong with installing MotionInJoy for the drivers and never opening it again. Use BetterDS3 for the rest.

You should try the SCP Drivers over MotionInJoy though. (Even if SCP is less customizable). Install instructions are on the page.

The addition of support for official Nintendo WFC online play is super cool, but does anyone else feel like they're treading in very unethical territory?

Let's be honest here, in a majority of cases, the people who play games in emulators don't actually buy the games. Power to you if you do, but you're in the minority.

If you're not accusing anyone here, then you aren't talking to anyone here.

Going to have to give this emu another chance then. Tried playing TvC on it and it worked well aside from the random studder when using a move for the first time. That and I never did beat Baiten Kaitos 2... and for w/e reason I cannot get my Gamecube to look decent on my TV, all my other pre-HD consoles look mostly ok, but GC looks a mess.

MegalonJJ

Banned
EatChildren - the only time my skyward sword disc touched my Wii was to get ripped. I played through the entire game pretty much on your setup at your clock rate and outside a couple locks and a couple frame drops here and there it was smooth and gorgeous

I know this is slightly off-topic, but could you post a comparison picture of Skyward Sword, one running as is on Wii (480p) compared to a 1080p Dolphin shot please?

(I can't run Dolphin, but I'd like to see what it looks like).

MotionInJoy and SCP both override the Bluetooth device drivers. You can only use it for the DS3 when you install either of them.
There's nothing wrong with installing MotionInJoy for the drivers and never opening it again. Use BetterDS3 for the rest.

You should try the SCP Drivers over MotionInJoy though. (Even if SCP is less customizable). Install instructions are on the page.

Thanks, can I specify which Bluetooth adapter to install to? And if so, do you think my computer's built in Bluetooth adapter would do the trick? Like I said, it faces the opposite direction that it should, and is right next to a wooden wall. Again, thank you for the help.

Diablos

Hopefully it fixes my Xenoblade problems.
3.0-845-dirty is the best build for Xenoblade if you have a CPU that is less than 4GHz and has not so great single-core performance.

My AMD FX CPU has no problems, I get a constant 30fps at 1080p

Volotaire

I know this is slightly off-topic, but could you post a comparison picture of Skyward Sword, one running as is on Wii (480p) compared to a 1080p Dolphin shot please?

Look on youtube, plenty of people posted 1080 o videos of SS.

Garteal

Dolphin with SweetFX.
ibvzqTgRmrpBxi.png

Wii
ss_11_07_screen02.jpg

Thanks, can I specify which Bluetooth adapter to install to? And if so, do you think my computer's built in Bluetooth adapter would do the trick? Like I said, it faces the opposite direction that it should, and is right next to a wooden wall. Again, thank you for the help.
It doesn't matter if it's on the back of your motherboard. It should have enough range. You should check if that one is a v2 device with EDR support.
Best would be to temporarily disable the built-in driver via device manager and then installing it, or remove the other Bluetooth stick. Whichever one you want to use for DS3. You should check which Bluetooth device is supported on SCP before you go ahead with the installation though. If it's not supported, you can easily add it to the 'known' list.

EatChildren

Yeah, you'll be fine. You have a good GPU too iirc so you should be able to run it at over 1080p easily. And yes, it's a 30FPS game.

Many thanks. Skyward Sword replay here I come.

DrTeflon

I think that now is time to play skyward sword on dolphin, just need to figure out how to map every action to a Ps3 controller =(. Too lazy to find a good Bluetooth adapter that works with my wiimote

Top Bottom