• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

EvB

Holy Crap

Just tried F-zero GX under Windows on my rMBP and it absolutely flies.

Can run it at 4x Native (2560x2112) with 8xAA and 16xAnisotropic filtering and it hits the magic 60FPS at almost all times!

I could never get close to that, especially at that resolution.

Grief.exe

Hell yeah, giving it a try now. Hoping this one runs Metroid Prime a lot better than the last one I tried.

Love me some Prime on Dolphin

ibspSwBcBuVGNZ.png

i6yG4Q3r6CYxC.png

Garteal

This is after ticking Force-install, I rebooted afterwards to check, and it works when plugged in USB, but when I take the cord out it just blinks endlessly. :(
Have you followed the instructions on the page?
Have you installed the 360 controller drivers?

Open up SCPMonitor; do you have a host address? Do you see Pad 1 reserved?

Have you followed the instructions on the page?
Have you installed the 360 controller drivers?

Open up SCPMonitor; do you have a host address? Do you see Pad 1 reserved?

Yes.
Yes, I've used my 360 controllers on my PC before, unless it is a specialized driver I should have this already.

I opened SCPMonitor.
It says that Host Address is "Disconnected" and that Pad 1 is "Charged" when plugged in, and "Reserved" when not. Next to the "Charged" part is what I assume is the controller's ID and then "- USB 00005F70" which keeps on counting up in hex I assume. It must be the charge level I think.

teiresias

Oddly enough I never had audio problems with Xenoblade in the official builds. Instead I'd get second or two long pauses during special attacks in battle (even happened in the one in the intro) that I could not get to go away without using a special build. Maybe 4.0 fixes this?

Seiru

Banned
Somebody let me know how Xenoblade runs on this. I've started and stopped that game like 5 times on my Wii, and I think if it runs well in Dolphin I'll try to play it there (finally).

Garteal

Yes.
Yes, I've used my 360 controllers on my PC before, unless it is a specialized driver I should have this already.

I opened SCPMonitor.
It says that Host Address is "Disconnected" and that Pad 1 is "Charged" when plugged in, and "Reserved" when not. Next to the "Charged" part is what I assume is the controller's ID and then "- USB 00005F70" which keeps on counting up in hex I assume. It must be the charge level I think.
Hmm interesting. That was happening to me before when I couldn't get it working either.

You installed the drivers when your controller was plugged in, correct?
If so and if you haven't already, unplug your controller and (force) install the drivers again. Check if it still behaves the same and try another reboot.
If you still see the blue Bluetooth icon in your system tray, it's not going to work.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I really want to try this out but the only Wii game I own anymore is Super Mario Galaxy (<3) and that requires a wiimote, something I know longer own. Is it possible at all to play Galaxy with Dual Shock 3?
Yep. Just make it emulate a 360 controller and you can set buttons for the motion stuff.
Love me some Prime on Dolphin

I can't get Prime to run worth a damn. Really bums me out.

If you still see the blue Bluetooth icon in your system tray, it's not going to work.

What is that? I see one, how do I disable it?

BTW, why the hell does Sony not make it easier! Thanks a lot for your help though! I really appreciate your dedication to a stranger on the Internet like me.

Seik

Banned
I m not on my PC right now, but does anyone know: Is ES_LAUNCH in default now?

By this I mean does Metroid Prime Trilogy and Kirby Collection works properly now?

Garteal

What is that? I see one, how do I disable it?

BTW, why the hell does Sony not make it easier! Thanks a lot for your help though! I really appreciate your dedication to a stranger on the Internet like me.
Because that means that you're able to connect other devices to your Bluetooth device. Recall that these drivers override the Bluetooth device so that only the DS3 can use it.
If everything is installed and working correctly, then the icon shouldn't be there (if you don't have your other Bluetooth device plugged in).

If all fails, try your other Bluetooth device and check if the hardware ID is on the supported list and try using that one.

Victrix

*beard*
Somebody let me know how Xenoblade runs on this. I've started and stopped that game like 5 times on my Wii, and I think if it runs well in Dolphin I'll try to play it there (finally).

I loaded my old saves and fooled with it briefly, seems to still have horrendous audio stuttering

So either it needs a patch, or it needs some specific settings, but either way, didn't work out of the box for me

Garteal

I loaded my old saves and fooled with it briefly, seems to still have horrendous audio stuttering

So either it needs a patch, or it needs some specific settings, but either way, didn't work out of the box for me
Are you running the game at full speed constantly? And where exactly do you get these stutters? Can you share your save game so I can try it on my end?

Victrix

*beard*
Are you running the game at full speed constantly? And where exactly do you get these stutters? Can you share your save game so I can try it on my end?

Yes, and any time in combat. Game runs perfectly till voices and combat noises start up, then it goes to hell.

I had the same problem on 3.x builds, had to use custom 'xenobuilds' or whatever, then it ran fine.

Don't have the save files handy at the moment though.

Garteal

Yes, and any time in combat. Game runs perfectly till voices and combat noises start up, then it goes to hell.

I had the same problem on 3.x builds, had to use custom 'xenobuilds' or whatever, then it ran fine.

Don't have the save files handy at the moment though.
Just tried the intro battle since I don't have any save files and it ran absolutely perfect there.
Try the same and see if you get the same results? Post the save games here when you're able to.

Well, can't get Prime to load on the Android version. Just black screens. Oh well, it is in Alpha, and I don't think the one on the store is updated to this version yet since it's date is from the end of August.

Victrix

*beard*
Just tried the intro battle since I don't have any save files and it ran absolutely perfect there.
Try the same and see if you get the same results? Post the save games here when you're able to.

Yep, get audio stutter as soon as the intro loads, and in the intro battle

That's even running in a tiny window on my desktop, not fullscreen or with internal res increased

edit: For a sanity check I ran my old build, 'dolphin-30-79-xbpatch31' and it ran fine

Garteal

Yep, get audio stutter as soon as the intro loads, and in the intro battle

That's even running in a tiny window on my desktop, not fullscreen or with internal res increased

edit: For a sanity check I ran my old build, 'dolphin-30-79-xbpatch31' and it ran fine
What are your specs?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Wat.

How, please tell me how you got that. Those tree's certainly didn't look like that in the GC release.

I did a write up about it on my Tumblr.

tumblr_mrmyimp9vo1s6sd6lo1_1280.jpg

Basically, I configured SweetFx to get the colors as they are and I used a combination of my own and Hypatia's HD texture pack.

Most of the visual bump is from SweetFx + massive rendering size/AA

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I actually think the Wii U version looks better, has a lot more "life" to it where the original seems a bit flat. The bloom effect really isn't as strong as it appears in screenshots and isn't ever present. The interiors in particular look a lot better.

Dolphin version is certainly much crisper, wonder how long before we will be emulating Wii U/PS3/360 games. A decade or more?

Does anyone know why there hasn't been an Xbox Emulator by the way? Some great games that would look good scaled up.

ASTROID2

I actually think the Wii U version looks better, has a lot more "life" to it where the original seems a bit flat. The bloom effect really isn't as strong as it appears in screenshots and isn't ever present. The interiors in particular look a lot better.

Dolphin version is certainly much crisper, wonder how long before we will be emulating Wii U/PS3/360 games. A decade or more?

Does anyone know why there hasn't been an Xbox Emulator by the way? Some great games that would look good scaled up.

I agree. Those screens don't do the game justice.

I tried REmake and it's chug city. Any suggestions?

I've been playing RE0 and REmake for a while without issues on Dolphin since pre 3.0...
Haven't tested it with 4.0 yet.

Have been using these settings:

Enable Dual Core
Enable Idle Skipping
DSP LLE Recompiler
DSP LLE on Separate Thread
XAudio2

Graphics Backend Direct3D9
Scaled EFB Copy
Force Texture Filtering
Anisotropic Filtering x16

Hacks
Everything off except:

Ignore format changes
EFB Copies to RAM (to Texture for RE Remake as it fix some weird slowdowns in the game, like the one in the front hall of the mansion when the camera shows that ceiling chandelier in front of the stairs)
Texture Cache >> Fast
External Frame Buffer - Virtual

Finished RE0 and REmake with those settings without any slowdowns or cracking sounds.

Raw64life

Online play is huge. I remember fiddling with Kaillera on emulators a decade ago and thinking to myself "this is gonna be huge". Then it quickly died off and I always wondered why.

Red

does mario galaxy 2 still give a black screen after getting a star?

Switch off HLE audio. Crashing after a star hasn't been a problem for a long time, as long as you are happy giving up sound. Really you only need to disable sound when you run a star stage, otherwise go wild. I don't know that any Dolphin build (ever) has had a universal problem with crashing after nabbing a star.

Yes but how do you enable motion+

I have a controller already but I keep getting the connect motion+
It's a special, unofficial Dolphin build that supports m+. It's old now though... besides the m+ working decent, the game didn't run that amazingly at the time so I don't even use the build. If you want to try it, a quick google search should link you there.

Edit: Apparently the guy has updated the build since, but I'm not sure if you have to compile it yourself or not. Personally, it was not worth the effort to set it up; the wrist twisting left and right while moving left and right is impossible to map onto just a stick. The result leaves a lot to be desired.

BasilZero

It's a special, unofficial Dolphin build that supports m+. It's old now though... besides the m+ working decent, the game didn't run that amazingly at the time so I don't even use the build. If you want to try it, a quick google search should link you there.

Edit: Apparently the guy has updated the build since, but I'm not sure if you have to compile it yourself or not. Personally, it was not worth the effort to set it up; the wrist twisting left and right while moving left and right is impossible to map onto just a stick. The result leaves a lot to be desired.

Aww

Eh, guess I'll get a bluetooth dongle sometime in the future to get my wiimote in sync as a controller.

Thanks for the info!

I have a question about the sensor bar. If I buy a USB sensor bar, do I still need to turn my Wii on in order for the motion controls to work? Or is the PC all I need? I've used Dolphin before just never with my Wii mote.

StevieP

Banned
I have a question about the sensor bar. If I buy a USB sensor bar, do I still need to turn my Wii on in order for the motion controls to work? Or is the PC all I need? I've used Dolphin before just never with my Wii mote.

Nope, you'll be good. You can even light 2 candles lol

If all fails, try your other Bluetooth device and check if the hardware ID is on the supported list and try using that one.

That's not an option for me, I don't want to have to hop from one Bluetooth stack to another on a single adapter just so I can use my DS3 wirelessly. It should be illegal to advertise a motherboard's "onboard bluetooth support" if the adapter itself is utter crap.

Ugh. |:< I guess I'll just buy another bluetooth adapter. I just replaced my dedicated WiiMote one that I lost, but I made sure to get a semi-new/expensive one to be sure it could handle the WiiMote+ in real time. Anyone have a suggestion for a stupidly cheap bluetooth adapter that would be good enough for standard controllers? Must be 2.0+EDR compatible, right?

Thanks for your help anyways, just one last question. MotionInJoy+Better DS3 supported pressure sensitive buttons, didn't they? Does SCP?

Top Bottom