• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

XOMTOR

I did a write up about it on my Tumblr.

tumblr_mrmyimp9vo1s6sd6lo1_1280.jpg

Basically, I configured SweetFx to get the colors as they are and I used a combination of my own and Hypatia's HD texture pack.

Most of the visual bump is from SweetFx + massive rendering size/AA

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your SweetFX settings. Question, I'm also using Hypatia's texture pack and I've noticed a bit of stuttering with them enabled. It's not too often, usually when spinning the camera or entering a new area. Have you noticed anything like this? Someone suggested it's due to Dolphin's sub-par texture loading but I wonder if anyone else notices it or it's my rig.

Damaniel

Banned
Time to play Xenoblade New Game+! So far, the audio behavior is much better using the new HLE (there's only extremely intermittent audio skipping, which I think stems from having the game on a slow platter drive instead of a SSD where I kept it the first time). I had to use LLE to get acceptable sound previously (even the 'Xenobuilds' never seemed to do the trick for me), which meant that even with a beefy overclocked i7, the frame rate still dropped below 20 from time to time.

As usual, an excellent release from the Dolphin team!

Zafir

Just tried Xenoblade on it, and it's working fine for me using LLE recompiler. Not tried HLE yet, and LLE Interepreter just ran far too slowly on my computer.

Raw64life

So what's the most minimal amount of effort needed to transfer Wii saves (including games like Brawl that it doesn't let you copy normally) to your PC so that they'll work with Dolphin?

Nekofrog

Banned
I know this is slightly off-topic, but could you post a comparison picture of Skyward Sword, one running as is on Wii (480p) compared to a 1080p Dolphin shot please?

(I can't run Dolphin, but I'd like to see what it looks like).

I recorded a couple videos when the game came out, one at 1080p and one at 720p. This was an a much older version of Dolphin, so it may be better, but here you go:

1080p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBJ39Lzq7g

720p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHuOTZMZXk

System (back then): i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI 6800 or 7800, I don't remember. Have a new system.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's a special, unofficial Dolphin build that supports m+. It's old now though... besides the m+ working decent, the game didn't run that amazingly at the time so I don't even use the build. If you want to try it, a quick google search should link you there.

Edit: Apparently the guy has updated the build since, but I'm not sure if you have to compile it yourself or not. Personally, it was not worth the effort to set it up; the wrist twisting left and right while moving left and right is impossible to map onto just a stick. The result leaves a lot to be desired.

Just an idea, but what about directions of the wii remote on the right stick, and twisting on the triggers? Left trigger twists it between 0 and 180 degrees counter clockwise, right trigger the opposite?

MegalonJJ

Banned
I recorded a couple videos when the game came out, one at 1080p and one at 720p. This was an a much older version of Dolphin, so it may be better, but here you go:

1080p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBJ39Lzq7g

720p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHuOTZMZXk

System (back then): i5 2500k @ 4.8GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI 6800 or 7800, I don't remember. Have a new system.

Cheers dude, much appreciated.

It looks beautiful! I forgot about the serene atmosphere of Skyloft. (I hope they do a HD re-release on WiiU at some point).

Red

Is there anything playable in Dolphin that won't run at double speed at 60fps though? I mean for 30 fps native titles.

rjc571

Banned
There are a LOT of perks to PC emulation.

playing 30fps games in 60fps,

frame_rate_comparison_by_alo81-d6b7kns.gif

Doesn't this require going through memory addresses, figuring out where the game's framerate cap is located, and changing it to a different value to remove the cap (and this only works if the game runs at 60 fps in menus, or else you won't know what value to change it to)? Meaning that very very few games are ever going to be able to take advantage of this.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Honestly, Wind Waker at 1080p with that HD texture pack and Alo81's SweetFX settings might be the prettiest game on my PC right now. I used to show people Crysis 3 when they came over and wanted to see my computer. I'll probably just load up WW from now on. Screenshots can't even do it proper justice, as great as they are.

Zafir

Does skies of arcadia still have the colour ef shadows issue
I just tried it, and no it doesn't.

It seems pretty fixed. I did get a bit of occasional slow down, but it wasn't hindering gameplay, plus I may be able to fix it through changing my settings.

Edit: Actually, seems to depend on the DirectX version you are using. It's fixed in 11, but still present in 9 it would seem.

Jarate

Banned
Just got the necessary equipment for using the wiimote on PC

can't wait to play Skyward Sword in HD on my tv.

Do any of you guys know a site with texture packs for gamecube/wii games. Ive seen twilight princess and wind waker, but that's about it

-MD-

I wish I knew how to configure stuff like Dolphin. My games always look way more shit than everyone else's screenshots no matter my settings.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wish I knew how to configure stuff like Dolphin. My games always look way more shit than everyone else's screenshots no matter my settings.

Set internal resolution to "Screen Size" set it in full screen, and enable the Anti-aliasing. If you're using D3D9 mode, then set the AA to "4x SSAA"

It'll be demanding but it'll look nice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'm still amazed every time I boot Ikaruga in 2880x1800 resolution (with 2xAA) on my laptop, and it runs at perfect 60FPS on it, in vertical mode (I put laptop on its side). You literally can't discern pixels, the game looks like you're playing concept art, even despite that you're close to the screen.

There are a LOT of perks to PC emulation.

Like HD texture packs and 4K resolutions,

playing games in cool new aspect ratios,
Which HD pack is that? How do you set Mario to play in that aspect ratio?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm still amazed every time I boot Ikaruga in 2880x1800 resolution (with 2xAA) on my laptop, and it runs at perfect 60FPS on it, in vertical mode (I put laptop on its side). You literally can't discern pixels, the game looks like you're playing concept art, even despite that you're close to the screen.

Which HD pack is that? How do you set Mario to play in that aspect ratio?

The pack is a combinatio of Hypatia's handmade HD texture pack and my own automated HD upressing pack. His is significantly more appealing because it's being done by hand instead of automated so I recommend you check his out.

You can play pretty much any Dolphin game like that. Enable Widescreen hack in the menu, set your resolution to a portrait res and run the game in fullscreen.

I made a thread dedicated to portrait gaming with a ton of info including instructions on setting it up.

The thread.

I can happily report that 4.0 fixes Baten Kaitos Origins's intro--it doesn't flicker anymore!

EDIT: My savestates! Nooooo! Whenever I try to get to them in-game, dolphin just crashes ;_;

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Set internal resolution to "Screen Size" set it in full screen, and enable the Anti-aliasing. If you're using D3D9 mode, then set the AA to "4x SSAA"

It'll be demanding but it'll look nice.

You're using 8x SSAA in those shots, right?

So I've tested a little bit of MGS: Twins Snakes and it seems better so far, the games got some pretty excessive motion blur, but it's not nearly as chunky as before. Only very slight stutters. It looks like this update is a great new upgrade! My main suggestions would be, Steam Big Picture Mode support (ie. control the menu through a controller) and allowing individual games to have unique graphical and audio setups. Some games run better in OpenGL, DirectX9/11 etc.

diaspora

Uh, the custom textures for Dolphin 4.0 don't load. They're in User/Load/Texture/ but... nothing. I've also set it to "safe" rather than "fast" in the graphics config but still no dice.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You're using 8x SSAA in those shots, right?

In the screenshots I posted I usually render at 4k (or the equivalent) and use 4xSSAA.

For the Super Mario Galaxy screenshots it was rendered at 2560x3400 with no AA (I was just taking shots as I played through the level so the framerate needed to be playable)

So I've tested a little bit of MGS: Twins Snakes and it seems better so far, the games got some pretty excessive motion blur, but it's not nearly as chunky as before. Only very slight stutters. It looks like this update is a great new upgrade! My main suggestions would be, Steam Big Picture Mode support (ie. control the menu through a controller) and allowing individual games to have unique graphical and audio setups. Some games run better in OpenGL, DirectX9/11 etc.

In the actual page they said the BPM implementation is currently being worked on.

jediyoshi

Uh, the custom textures for Dolphin 4.0 don't load. They're in User/Load/Texture/ but... nothing. I've also set it to "safe" rather than "fast" in the graphics config but still no dice.

Make sure in the Graphics options under the Advanced tab 'Load Custom Textures' is set.

Make sure the folder name of where the textures are matches the game's specific gameid. You can check the gameid by right clicking on the game on the list -> Properties and it'll be in the title of the window.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The pack is a combinatio of Hypatia's handmade HD texture pack and my own automated HD upressing pack. His is significantly more appealing because it's being done by hand instead of automated so I recommend you check his out.
Thanks! I just tried his pack, but it's not working as it should for some reason. When I enable the load custom texture option, only texture improvement I see in WW are the life stars at top left, and there's many UI textures that just turn into blocky squares. The actual in-game textures remain unchanged. Maybe this doesn't work on Mac, I'll try it on PC now.

diaspora

Make sure in the Graphics options under the Advanced tab 'Load Custom Textures' is set.

Make sure the folder name of where the textures are matches the game's specific gameid. You can check the gameid by right clicking on the game on the list -> Properties and it'll be in the title of the window.

I've already got this covered. It's still not loading.

tookhster

Grrr, why I am I stuck with some crappy Toshiba laptop? Anybody wanna donate a gaming PC? lol

In all seriousness, those screenshots look beautiful.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
In the screenshots I posted I usually render at 4k (or the equivalent) and use 4xSSAA.

God damn. I'm playing it at 1080p with 8x SSAA. To me, it looks incredibly comparable to your shots.

I can't find a way to take screenshots that show the effects of SweetFX, though. Fraps makes the game freeze, and taking screenshots with Dolphin just gives me the non-enhanced imaged.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What's the game/region/gameid, what's the texture pack?

Unless you know some 4.0 specific settings, I believe the method was changed.

I copied over my texture packs folders exactly as they were in my old dolphin install and enabled them the normal way and they don't seem to come in.

I believe theres either a glitch or they've changed the way to use texture packs.

God damn. I'm playing it at 1080p with 8x SSAA. To me, it looks incredibly comparable to your shots.

I can't find a way to take screenshots that show the effects of SweetFX, though. Fraps makes the game freeze, and taking screenshots with Dolphin just gives me the non-enhanced imaged.

Yep, it'll be comparable! There are definitely diminishing returns.

As for screenshots, I believe pressing the "Prnt Scrn" key while using SweetFx will save a lossless BMP in the games directory.

Top Bottom