• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Peterthumpa

iikiGj6Vl1vzk.png

ibncImkjpbjGZp.png

iHVQDGBtqeGfo.png

reektann

7719 on the Dolphin site is the M version. Download it and run it, and it will say 7719M.

I did download it there (x64) but it just reads 7719 at the top of the program window.

Anyway, not had another crash since that one time so i seem to be running ok without the M version. For now!

Finally got zelda working. Im wondering if anyone knows if its possible to transfer a save from the wii to the dolphin emu. I just passed the second dungeon on the wii and dont want to start all over again.

Or if anyone has a save that is just pass the second dungeon boss.

Finally got zelda working. Im wondering if anyone knows if its possible to transfer a save from the wii to the dolphin emu. I just passed the second dungeon on the wii and dont want to start all over again.

Or if anyone has a save that is just pass the second dungeon boss.

Copy the save to an SD card and click Tools -> Wii Save Import in Dolphin.

so do we have any way of knowing which vendors are still selling wii remotes that work?

I have an old one so I can play it safe and buy the little attachment. But I need more controllers anyways and would like to get them with built in. Is there a way to tell?

Nekrono

Has anyone been able to play Super Mario Galaxy 2 with LLE (no music fade) at an average of 60 frames with a 2500k or something similar?

If so, how much was the OC and what settings were you using?

I have a 2500k, 4GB RAM and a 6950, I tried 4Ghz to begin with and played the intro up to the first star... I have a few drops from 60 to 55ish but it drops around to ~40 when bowser is destroying the castle which is the lowest I've seen it yet, I wonder how much more "intense" the game gets later on.

Revoh

I just beat SMG for the first time, what a great game! Time to get another 60 more stars :p.

I would like to donate the devs of this emulator, what a great piece of software.

My mind has just exploded.

I know I'm pretty (very) LTTP on this Dolphin stuff. But man, I just ripped my copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and loaded up. Wow. This is the best. 1080p SMG2 is such a treat. From now on I don't think any Wii game I buy will ever be played in the Wii console.

This thread is so big. Other than all the awesome info in the OP, is there anything else I should know about Dolphin? Pro Tips, ect?

papercut

What's the range on these bluetooth connections? Say that I want to use dolphin on my PC that's about 20 feet from my couch, with one thin wall blocking the line of sight. Is that feasible with the usb bluetooth dongles that are advocated around here? Should I be looking at a specific dongle? Thanks.

Electric Brain

Neo Member
These screens look great!

So just a quick question - does that mean that all the 2D assets on the game disks are actually higher resolution that is natively rendered by the Wii? For example, HUD elements, textures, and so forth?

If so, isn't it possible that nintendo could implement similar HD-rendering output for a Wii-U running presumably backwards compatible Wii and/or GC titles?

jediyoshi

So just a quick question - does that mean that all the 2D assets on the game disks are actually higher resolution that is natively rendered by the Wii? For example, HUD elements, textures, and so forth?

It's just on a game by game basis. Textures on models and geometry are often times at a higher resolution than what the Wii can make use of, but HUD elements usually aren't the case. Trauma Team art assets got fairly high-res

dolphin2010-09-0917-3o4rim.jpg

Shawsie64

Banned
Anyone else get a little bit of slow down in the main town in Skyward Sword?

Game runs great and didn't get a chance to see what frame rate its actually running at but just feels a tad more "laggy" in open areas.. Indoors its amazing..

Specs are:

i2500k @ 4.3ghz
8gb DDR3
2gb 6950

Running max internal AA, no AA and 16 AF

Using 64bit 7719

Electric Brain

Neo Member
It's just on a game by game basis. Textures on models and geometry are often times at a higher resolution than what the Wii can make use of, but HUD elements usually aren't the case. Trauma Team art assets got fairly high-res

Sweet, thanks for the info.

I guess I was thrown a bit with the HUD elements in Skyward Sword looking so crisp and much better than their SD screens.

luffeN

So the Wii Motion Plus that comes with Skyward Sword won't work? Damn.
Well it works with an older version with which you can play Skyward Sword without problems. It's revision r7719.

Does anyone have optimal settings for Mario Galaxy 1 & 2? When I play 2 on the r7719, the background music is missing. Or the second level doesn't have any xD

Red

I think Crunched is using one.
Yep. Works fine.

To those asking about SS performance, I got full speed most of the time on a 4GHz i7. Lost 2-4 frames at night and up to 6 during sequences involving moving timeshift stones. The credits ran really poorly for some reason, at about 20fps. Everything else was 100%.

The lowest it ever hit in game was 24fps, but only for short periods. Maybe 1-2 hours out of an over 45 hour play time.

Is it just me or does that look like a toilet?

Also, does anyone have some Zangeki no Reginliev screens on Dolphin? The game is fucking crazy with huge play fields, gigantic enemies, and a shit ton of gigantic enemies. I love to see what this looks like on Dolphin.

Zeliard

My mind has just exploded.

I know I'm pretty (very) LTTP on this Dolphin stuff. But man, I just ripped my copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 and loaded up. Wow. This is the best. 1080p SMG2 is such a treat. From now on I don't think any Wii game I buy will ever be played in the Wii console.

This thread is so big. Other than all the awesome info in the OP, is there anything else I should know about Dolphin? Pro Tips, ect?

If you're running SMG2 comfortably you're probably good to go for most things.

Next thing I would say to look into is Xenoblade, if you want to snag the EU copy instead of waiting for NA. Runs like a dream, and like many Wii games with strong art styles, it looks impressive at high resolutions. Granted you probably need a solidly OC'd 2500k or something similarly powerful to smoothly run the LLE audio plugin, but I think there's also a patch that helps with the choppy audio in HLE.

If you're running SMG2 comfortably you're probably good to go for most things.

Next thing I would say to look into is Xenoblade, if you want to snag the EU copy instead of waiting for NA. Runs like a dream, and like many Wii games with strong art styles, it looks impressive at high resolutions. Granted you probably need a solidly OC'd 2500k or something similarly powerful to smoothly run the LLE audio plugin, but I think there's also a patch that helps with the choppy audio in HLE.

Yeah, Im running a stock 2500k with a 1gig 460. Its a pretty modest setup but I'm locking at 30fps with no issues (BGM and Grand Star stuff aside).

One thing I am confused about is all the motion plus talk. Someone please break it down for me. In Skyward Sword, do I need a motion plus addon for the old Wiimote? Or will my all-in-one new Wiimote work?

Varna

Anyone else get a little bit of slow down in the main town in Skyward Sword?

Game runs great and didn't get a chance to see what frame rate its actually running at but just feels a tad more "laggy" in open areas.. Indoors its amazing..

Specs are:

i2500k @ 4.3ghz
8gb DDR3
2gb 6950

Running max internal AA, no AA and 16 AF

Using 64bit 7719

I've had what has seemed like slow downs (not in town specifically) but the frame-rate counter never dropped from the usual 29-30. I asked earlier if Dolphin emulated the slow downs the actual hardware would get but no one answered.

Shawsie64

Banned
I've had what has seemed like slow downs (not in town specifically) but the frame-rate counter never dropped from the usual 29-30. I asked earlier if Dolphin emulated the slow downs the actual hardware would get but no one answered.

Thats what I assumed was happening.. Wonder if its exactly the way the game performs on an actual Wii..

Mohonky

Is it normal to be getting only 22-25fps in Skyloft in Skyward Sword? First time I've had it up and running, the frame rate seems a bit low.

Core i7 920
6gb DDR3
GTX570

Running r7719 dolphin in 1920 x 1080

Red

Yeah, Im running a stock 2500k with a 1gig 460. Its a pretty modest setup but I'm locking at 30fps with no issues (BGM and Grand Star stuff aside).
SMG2 is a 60fps game. Are you really only getting 30 frames? Would be unplayable imo.

Mohonky: runs full speed for me, same CPU @4Ghz.

Red

Man this thread is making me depressed that I have to continue playing SS on the Wii w/ a 46" TV.

These screen are beautiful, 480P on a large TV looks like ass.
Of all the screens to say this about, you picked one of BlackBeetleKing's.

Top Bottom