• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Damn it, I'll buy it when I see an undub floating around online then. Those don't usually take that long to surface. I know that I will not be able to stand that woman's VA for an entire game if I was that annoyed after a couple of minutes.
Why not this and Xenoblade does have the option?

No big deal for me, Xenoblade had very similar British voice-overs and it was awesome imo, I'm sure it'll grow on you with time. :)
I hate all dubs really, it's not exclusive to TLS. I didn't care for Xenoblade's much either when I had the option to play otherwise. I'm sure it was good relatively speaking though, just not for me which is a hassle in this current situation.

Kokonoe

Banned
Best repurchase I've had in a long time. I really don't need a future DBZ game, when this one has it all.

2x background, 4x AA. Runs perfect without me having to do anything specific.
Second pic would be a nice wallpaper if I could remove the HUD somehow.

Clickable pics.

Zakkath

The Last Story

www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsU3nm7t2dk

Dolphin 2012-02-24 01-25-19-79.jpg

Dolphin 2012-02-24 02-03-16-68.jpg

Whoa ! I was not considering using Dolphin, but seeing this, I might just go through the trouble of setting up this thing to play it on my PC. The difference is huge.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Best repurchase I've had in a long time. I really don't need a future DBZ game, when this one has it all.

2x background, 4x AA. Runs perfect without me having to do anything specific.
Second pic would be a nice wallpaper if I could remove the HUD somehow.

Clickable pics.

BT2/3 are awesome games.

Shame about no widescreen though. :-/

Grampasso

About TLS I have two major issues the make it unplayable.
The first one is a graphical glitch that makes the polygonal characters' models invisible (I noticed it because the equipment IS visible... except for the trousers, so I have some jackets and weapons running around the screen :D).
The second one is about controls, for some reason the x-axis in this game got messed up so I can only use it in one direction for both the analog sticks. In other games I don't have this issue.
Any suggestions about this?

spk

Had a friend test Last Story on a rig similar to mine

2600k @ 4.5
2GB 6950
8GB ram

He's using the latest build

General config:
JITIL

Graphics:
DX11
1080p fullscreen
16x AF
2x AA
3x internal resolution

Hacks:
ram to load up game, then switch to texture in-game to restore the missing armor.

Said he averages 30FPs with the occasional sound glitch or something.

I don't know how optimal that is compared to other working configs and which build to use.
You sure this wasn't D3D9? I can't get the armor to show no matter what I set EFB to under D3D11

jediyoshi

About TLS I have two major issues the make it unplayable.
The first one is a graphical glitch that makes the polygonal characters' models invisible (I noticed it because the equipment IS visible... except for the trousers, so I have some jackets and weapons running around the screen :D).
The second one is about controls, for some reason the x-axis in this game got messed up so I can only use it in one direction for both the analog sticks. In other games I don't have this issue.
Any suggestions about this?

When first loading up the game, you have to set EFB Copies to RAM. Once you're actually in, you can switch it back to Texture, though any new models/equipment from that point will have bugged visuals and you'll have to do the process over.
Are you emulating a Classic Controller?

Grampasso

When first loading up the game, you have to set EFB Copies to RAM. Once you're actually in, you can switch it back to Texture, though any new models/equipment from that point will have bugged visuals and you'll have to do the process over.
Are you emulating a Classic Controller?

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it. Yes I'm emulating a Classic Controller with an X360 controller, btw with the latest version of dolphin (3.0-427-dirty) I don't have the x-axis issue anymore after I remapped the controls.

EVH

Oh my, last time I tried, TimeSplitters: Future Perfect was just simply not starting, and the dolphin FAQ said that the game was completely broken so they didn't expect it to work.

Now I want to play it badly :( that game was so awesome, and I miss Harry Tipper.

Isaccard

Probably a dumb question but..

Is there a way to rip Wii games without using Homebrew (or a Wii, since I dont have one) or resorting to pirating on my PC?

AColdDay

Alright guys, I was wondering what my options are as far as ripping Wii and GC isos from my modded Wii without a hard drive connected to the Wii. I used ModMii to mod my Wii

I am solely interested in playing my Wii and GC stuff in high resolution on my PC, so I really don't want to invest in a dedicated external hard drive.

I have seen programs in the past that allow you to rip games over a network, and was interested to see if you guys have any experience with that.

Mikeside

Alright guys, I was wondering what my options are as far as ripping Wii and GC isos from my modded Wii without a hard drive connected to the Wii. I used ModMii to mod my Wii

I am solely interested in playing my Wii and GC stuff in high resolution on my PC, so I really don't want to invest in a dedicated external hard drive.

I have seen programs in the past that allow you to rip games over a network, and was interested to see if you guys have any experience with that.

couldn't you just use the original discs and re-rip from those?

I use Wii DVD Dumper. You initiate the ripping process on your Wii then access it from your PC using a web-browser to download the ISO as it's being created. It works perfectly in my experience, but you'll be lucky to get 500kb/s over wifi.

If you're going to go down that path let me know, as there's a lot of stuff in the Wiki which you don't really need to do unless you want to play the rips on your Wii itself. Getting setup for Dolphin is actually far easier than CFG USB Loader.

Sagitario

I just have to ask.

Laptop:
Intel Core i7-2630QM (2 GHz, 2.90 Ghz with Turbo Boost)
6GB DDR3 SDRAM
Radeon HD 6770M (1024 MB GDDR5 and 4096MB total graphics memory <--- don't really get this 4096MB part)
1366 x 768 screen

No way my laptop can handle the emulator, right?

Do you have a 16 or 32 gigabyte SD card? That should work as long as you don't mind having to take it out after every few games that you dump to move them over.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I just have to ask.

Laptop:
6GB DDR3 SDRAM
Radeon HD 6770M (1024 MB GDDR5 and 4096MB total graphics memory <--- don't really get this 4096MB part)
1366 x 768 screen

Your laptop will run it more than fine :)

Just try it out!

Now that I think of it, I actually had to dump my GC games to my 16 gig SD card since the program I used wouldn't read my hard drive for whatever reason. It takes about 10 minutes per game, which is around 3 times as long as it takes CUSB to dump a 1.5GB Wii game, IIRC.

Thrakier

I just have to ask.

Laptop:
6GB DDR3 SDRAM
1366 x 768 screen

Some games maybe, not all. Not enough Hz.

Does Godzilla Unleashed run on Dolphin? The game is a hit and miss in terms of art and environments, but it does look pretty awesome and uses more special effects the Wii can muster than most 3rd party crap.

Yaska

Some Skies of Arcadia screenshots i took. Promised these a while ago. 9xSSAA, 16x ani, 4x internal reso. Game is extremely picky, pick a wrong option and it crashes just from going out of fullscreen, sometimes just from taking a screenshot. Works pretty well as long as you go below the settings I had (I ran mostly 25fps tho, but with music the framerate drops (LLE)). Also used Dolphins own screenshot function, that's why the images are compressed and look ugly.
geap8p-1i1a56.png

geap8p-2kpzwv.png

geap8p-33txwr.png

geap8p-43mld1.png

What you all wanted to do
geap8p-617brw.png

What happens

geap8p-110uxr1.png

geap8p-138xbdz.png

jediyoshi

Suprise, pokepark 2 doesn't work. Seems like creatures inc has developed a black magic that has resist Dolphin so far. I'm guessing MP9 will work just fine.

Cedric

Hey, has anyone tried running dolphin through a macbook pro connected to a tv? When I connect my macbook to a TV display, everything is fine. However, every time I try to run an emulator the screen freezes (I actually don't have dolphin, but will be checking it out as soon as I get this solved). I figured this would be the place to ask, thank you.

Anybody had any luck playing Last Story without any issues? I managed to play to the end of Chapter 1 on R7428 using the JITIL recompiler which is supposed to prevent it from crashing, but the emulator crashed on the last cutscene of chapter 1. Then I tried playing it on R7719, which got me past the cutscene and on to the start of chapter 2, but the emulation seemed slow and choppy so I switched to version 3.0. But using 3.0, the game froze on me during the first battle of chapter 2. I guess I'll try playing it on R7719 again, but the emulation quality seemed really crap compared to R7428 for some reason, maybe because my settings are different..

Maxim726X

Some Skies of Arcadia screenshots i took. Promised these a while ago. 9xSSAA, 16x ani, 4x internal reso. Game is extremely picky, pick a wrong option and it crashes just from going out of fullscreen, sometimes just from taking a screenshot. Works pretty well as long as you go below the settings I had (I ran mostly 25fps tho, but with music the framerate drops (LLE)). Also used Dolphins own screenshot function, that's why the images are compressed and look ugly.

Which version are you running? I can't get this and Wind Waker to run smoothly for me at all.

jediyoshi

Anybody had any luck playing Last Story without any issues? I managed to play to the end of Chapter 1 on R7428 using the JITIL recompiler which is supposed to prevent it from crashing, but the emulator crashed on the last cutscene of chapter 1. Then I tried playing it on R7719, which got me past the cutscene and on to the start of chapter 2, but the emulation seemed slow and choppy so I switched to version 3.0. But using 3.0, the game froze on me during the first battle of chapter 2. I guess I'll try playing it on R7719 again, but the emulation quality seemed really crap compared to R7428 for some reason, maybe because my settings are different..
If the symptoms are

audio keeps playing
screen freezes
happens during a cutscene/transition

Then switch to LLE, enable LLE on Thread. I'm 16ish hours in and that's solved it for me. Only been using the latest build though.

Trying to play last story through dolphin, which is the best version to use? I'm on the latest and the character models are just black.

Top Bottom