• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Can someone help me out with a multiplayer problem? I'm trying to play Donkey Kong Country Returns with a real Wiimote and an emulated one with my 360 controller. The game starts up find and whatever controller is connected as first player works fine, but then when I select to play 2 players it won't recognize the second controller. I've tried switching them around but still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem?

Can you be more specific as to what combinations of real/emulated Wiimotes aren't working? Does Dolphin itself recognize both controllers and just not the game? Are you sure you're configuring the Wiimotes under the Wiimote Configuration window correctly?

If the real Wiimote is player 1, make sure Wiimote 1 is set to Real Wiimote and Wiimote 2 is set to Emulated Wiimote. Then make sure Wiimote 2 in its binding configuration window has the device actually selected and the buttons all set.

catabarez

Can you be more specific as to what combinations of real/emulated Wiimotes aren't working? Does Dolphin itself recognize both controllers and just not the game? Are you sure you're configuring the Wiimotes under the Wiimote Configuration window correctly?

If the real Wiimote is player 1, make sure Wiimote 1 is set to Real Wiimote and Wiimote 2 is set to Emulated Wiimote. Then make sure Wiimote 2 in its binding configuration window has the device actually selected and the buttons all set.

I figured it out. I had forgotten to select Connect Wii Remote 2 in the Tools menu.

Ledsen

I was only able to get around 70-80% speed while playing Xenoblade. I'm using an e8400 @ 3ghz, so I'm thinking that's the culprit. Are i5 2500k the recommended CPU for dolphin?

If you overclock, yes. I'm running mine at 4,5Ghz and it runs at 100% most of the time

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Guys I have been on the fence with emulating my Wii games. So last weekend I tried to download the dolphin emulator and tried using it on a few games I have and im not sure if I know if it's me or the program but If someone could answer just few questions I would appreciate it.

#1. Is there a way to set settings for each game or do I have to manually change all my settings each time I load a game up? Is there a way to say Game 1 settings = this, game 2 settings equal this? All I see is one setup which doesnt work for all the games.

#2. Are there specific threads for setups? I own an i7260 3.2 with 8 gigs ram and an Nvidia 580gtx

#3. how does everyone use the wii sensors with your PC? Do you need to buy a wireless one or can you somehow attach the existing one to your pc?

Thanks!

Guys I have been on the fence with emulating my Wii games. So last weekend I tried to download the dolphin emulator and tried using it on a few games I have and im not sure if I know if it's me or the program but If someone could answer just few questions I would appreciate it.

#1. Is there a way to set settings for each game or do I have to manually change all my settings each time I load a game up? Is there a way to say Game 1 settings = this, game 2 settings equal this? All I see is one setup which doesnt work for all the games.

#2. Are there specific threads for setups? I own an i7260 3.2 with 8 gigs ram and an Nvidia 580gtx

#3. how does everyone use the wii sensors with your PC? Do you need to buy a wireless one or can you somehow attach the existing one to your pc?

Thanks!

Number 1: I just use different Dolphin folders for each game. Like I have a Xenoblade build folder and a Skyward Sword build folder. It's the easiest way I've found.

Number 3: Get a Wireless Sensor bar.

ape2man

Y'know guys, I used to think Daytona 2 and Super GT were the most beautiful racing games on the planet. I used to always tell people how those two game have that shine to them that no other arcade racer had. Well, I *still* think they're great looking games, but now another game has taken the throne in that category.....F-Zero GX!

I have just upgraded to a new BenQ W6000 1080p projector and this is my first 1080p display. I used to own a BenQ PE8720 and was restricted to 720p. Now that I have seen various games running at this resolution, there is no going back!!!

Model 3 games look FANTASTIC on this new projector, but words cannot describe how unprepared I was for what I was about to see....F-Zero GX running in full 1080p resolution on PC! As many of you are aware, there is a Nintendo Wii/GameCube emulator called Dolphin for Windows. I have been using Dolphin to run F-ZeroGX for a few years now, and the emulator has progressed enough to allow the game to run at FULL speed, providing you have a powerful enough PC. Playing F-ZeroGX on my old projector at 720p, the picture was already amazing. But now, when running at full 1080p and with all graphical settings in Dolphin turned up to the max(internal res x6, etc), this game looks fucking BONKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm serious! F-ZeroGX looks GODLY on PC!!! When you see it running at this quality, you can't help but shake your head and wonder where the glory days of Sega went, and what the hell happened to AM2. Nagoshi-san is a MAD SCIENTIST!!! The amount of detail he put into this game is absolutely STARTLING!!!!!!!!!!!! The textures are literally....LITERALLY flawless!!!!!!!!!!! I mean, there are NO blurriness or jaggies in this game at this resolution and graphical settings!!! NONE! The image is crystal and I mean CRYSTAL clear!!!

You guys are gonna think I'm on drugs for saying this, but I swear to god the game looks like a next gen PC game!!! It is the best looking videogame I have ever seen in my entire life and yes, that includes Crysis 1 & 2, Skyrim with mods, Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, Dirt 3, God of War 3, etc. This of course is my personal opinion. I cannot believe my eyes when I play F-ZeroGX running in Dolphin. It is a graphical MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love love LOOOOOOOOOOVE Daytona 2 and Scud Race, they are gorgeous games in their own right, and their art direction is second to none. But F-Zero GX is on a whole 'nother level graphically!! AM2 didn't just kill it, they fucking MURDERED this game!!!!! They were like "Y'know what? Life is too short, so we're just gonna go ahead and make the best looking videogame in the universe right here, right now." And guess what? They did. They delivered in spades!

I urge each and every one of you to give F-Zero GX a try in Dolphin so you can see the absurdly GODLIKE graphics for yourself! If you have at least a Core 2 duo and an nvidia 280, or maybe an AMD 4870, you are good to go! Doesn't take a monster pc to run and as long as you tweak a few things in the graphics setting here and there, you should be able to run the game at decent speeds.

The following pics DO NOT do the game running in Dolphin justice!!!!!!!!!!!

dolphin2010-05-0422-404f2u.jpeg

F-Zero%2006.jpg

F-Zero%2001.jpg

F-Zero%2002.jpg

F-Zero%2003.jpg

F-Zero%2004.jpg

F-Zero%2005.jpg

HOW did you get f-zero running at 61 frames a second. WOW i need those settings.

Chairhome

I've been able to OC my processor a little more (Phenom II x4 945) to about 3.72 stable but I still can't get xenoblade to work at 100%. I have the original PAL release that i patched with the 30fps patch, but it has been running at about 25fps (says 80% speed). If I re-rip the game and run it without the patch, it should run at a more normal rate since I should be able to play it at the "correct" frame rate, right? Alternately, I can use frameskip but it looks kinda ugly :-(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Does story mode work perfectly?

On my machine the first 2 chapters owrk no problem. Haven't gotten far enough to test the remaining chapters but a few people had mentioned that they work OK. Try it.

After finding out Smash Bros Brawl Project M is playable on dolphin and not able to play it perfectly on my current specs, I've decided it's time for an upgrade/ new computer.

My old specs
AMD Athlon X2 4800 2.51GHZ
Geforce 8600GT 256MB
5 GB DDR2 RAM

I read over on the official dolphin forums and I need something thats not expensive yet not very cheap.

I've seen the Intel Pentium G850 Sandybridge 2.9GHZ recommended with some P67/z68 MB.

Now on my old specs I remember a few years ago I was able to get playable speeds with brawl. Other games I want to play on here is Skyward Sword and maybe Xenoblade.

What else should I get?

I want to also play BF3 MP with high fps and at least medium settings.
I know BF3 is like the benchmark game out right now so other games would fall under that.

abasm

After finding out Smash Bros Brawl Project M is playable on dolphin and not able to play it perfectly on my current specs, I've decided it's time for an upgrade/ new computer.

My old specs
AMD Athlon X2 4800 2.51GHZ
Geforce 8600GT 256MB
5 GB DDR2 RAM

I read over on the official dolphin forums and I need something thats not expensive yet not very cheap.

I've seen the Intel Pentium G850 Sandybridge 2.9GHZ recommended with some P67/z68 MB.

Now on my old specs I remember a few years ago I was able to get playable speeds with brawl. Other games I want to play on here is Skyward Sword and maybe Xenoblade.

What else should I get?

I want to also play BF3 MP with high fps and at least medium settings.
I know BF3 is like the benchmark game out right now so other games would fall under that.

The most important thing for Dolphin is a good CPU (Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, ideally), plus enough cooling to overclock it to 4.2-4.5 GHz. That will let you emulate almost ANYTHING at playable speeds.

The most important thing for Battlefield 3 is a good GPU. If you've got the cash, the GTX 680 will keep you set for a long time. Again, the NeoGAF PC thread will help a lot. For Dolphin, the GPU is mostly used extra anti-aliasing--the better your card, the more you can bump up the internal resolution.

The most important thing for Dolphin is a good CPU (Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, ideally), plus enough cooling to overclock it to 4.2-4.5 GHz. That will let you emulate almost ANYTHING at playable speeds.

The most important thing for Battlefield 3 is a good GPU. If you've got the cash, the GTX 680 will keep you set for a long time. Again, the NeoGAF PC thread will help a lot. For Dolphin, the GPU is mostly used extra anti-aliasing--the better your card, the more you can bump up the internal resolution.

Lol I'm good. I'm not trying to run BF3 @ 2800K/100FPS on Killer Instinct Ultra.
I mean something that is visibly better than the console version.

A video card price range thats highest $100??

Also overclocking the sandybridge hmm..

why do wii devs seem to over-develop assets like in Zenoblade and other games with nice textures/ or nice LODs, when it's not going to be seen on a 480p TV?

Mysteries of the world, I tells ya.

ACE 1991

So is there a special version of Dolphin I need to get Xenoblade running at full speed? I'm rocking a 2500K @ 4.0ghz and a 1GB 6950, I should be able to run it well, right? Thanks!

rj118

why do wii devs seem to over-develop assets like in Zenoblade and other games with nice textures/ or nice LODs, when it's not going to be see on a 480 TV?

Mysteries of the world, I tells ya.

Wii U up-res capabilities

Those Xenoblade screenshots are unbelievable.

ACE 1991

is there a special version of dolphin I should to get xenoblade running at full speed? I'm rocking a 2500k at 4.0ghz and a 1gb 6950.

teiresias

I'm able to run Xenoblade fine with the "special" build, but does anyone have any suggestions for Metroid Prime Trilogy?

I downloaded the ES_LAUNCH branch build of version 3.0-141, but it still hangs at the Metroid Prime Loading. . . screen. Any idea what I'd have to do for that? I'd prefer not to use the .dol replacement trick (hence downloading the special build) if not necessary, but I suppose I will if I want to play it again.

Also, assuming I ever get it running, can anyone point me to a link for setting up a 360 controller for playing the game with, or would I really be better off investing in a bluetooth receiver and wireless ir-bar for use on my PC?

NZNova

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when I fullscreen Dolphin, it comes up on my secondary monitor. How can I force it to display on my primary display? I wasn't able to find an option to choose the screen for fullscreen display...

Jintor

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when I fullscreen Dolphin, it comes up on my secondary monitor. How can I force it to display on my primary display? I wasn't able to find an option to choose the screen for fullscreen display...

I always have to manually force this by switching around my monitor priority in windows, so I'd be glad for an answer too

bhlaab

I'm halfway through Super Mario Sunshine but Noki Bay is screwed up. The platforms don't come out of the walls like they're supposed to! Also the game isn't nearly as good as I remember it being!

MoogPaul

I'm currently running dolphin on a 2008 mac pro via bootcamp into windows 7 64
2 intel xeion 2.8 quad-cores
8 gigs of ram
GeForce 8800GT

Would I see great performance increase if I upgraded to a Radeon 5770 or 5870?
What about if I went to 16gigs of ram?
Is there a drastic difference between the radeon 5770 vs the 5870? Like 200 dollars difference?

Sectus

I'm currently running dolphin on a 2008 mac pro via bootcamp into windows 7 64
2 intel xeion 2.8 quad-cores
8 gigs of ram
GeForce 8800GT

Would I see great performance increase if I upgraded to a Radeon 5770 or 5870?
What about if I went to 16gigs of ram?
Is there a drastic difference between the radeon 5770 vs the 5870? Like 200 dollars difference?

Someone might answer this better than me, but as far as I know, you'd see no difference between 8 and 16gb ram with dolphin as I'm pretty sure it doesn't even get close to using all of 8gb. In general, the emulator is extremely cpu limited so upgrading/overclocking cpu is the primary way to get better speed. Upgrading gpu might help, but only if your current one is really weak (I'm really not up to date on all the gpu generations and models, so I can't comment on those two).

You should be able to check if you're gpu limited by changing gpu settings down (like AA and resolution) and then seeing if your FPS dramatically increases. If it does not, you're not gpu limited and a better gpu won't increase the FPS.

MoogPaul

Mmm... I know there used to be a utility to overclock a mac pro but it doesnt work in 64bit mode. I wonder... Is it possible to overclock a mac pro while in windows? There are more software overclocking options in windows but I'm unsure if t'd work on the mac hardware.

abasm

Mmm... I know there used to be a utility to overclock a mac pro but it doesnt work in 64bit mode. I wonder... Is it possible to overclock a mac pro while in windows? There are more software overclocking options in windows but I'm unsure if t'd work on the mac hardware.

You overclock via the BIOS. You know, that thing that tells you to press F10 or DEL or whatever before your computer boots?

MoogPaul

You overclock via the BIOS. You know, that thing that tells you to press F10 or DEL or whatever before your computer boots?

Macs don't have bios. They run efi, which is much harder to play around with, hence me looking for a bootcamped windows software solution

Caelus

Would this combination of GPU, CPU and RAM run most Wii games at 30-60 fps (most importantly SS)?

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB
Intel Core i7-2600K Processor @ 3.4 GHz
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB

Ledsen

Would this combination of GPU, CPU and RAM run most Wii games at 30-60 fps (most importantly SS)?

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB
Intel Core i7-2600K Processor @ 3.4 GHz
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB

If you overclock the CPU, then yes no problem at all, full speed for you in most games.

Caelus

Even without overclocking, will I get fullspeed at 1920x1080 resolution with no AA? I heard there are some glitches when enabling it, and it doesn't seem useful at such a high resolution. Also I got an Xbox 360 controller script for emulating motion plus with the analog sticks. I found that this works well, but will it impact performance?

Even without overclocking, will I get fullspeed at 1920x1080 resolution with no AA? I heard there are some glitches when enabling it, and it doesn't seem useful at such a high resolution. Also I got an Xbox 360 controller script for emulating motion plus with the analog sticks. I found that this works well, but will it impact performance?
Yes you'll get fullspeed without overclocking, but you should any ways because of how easy it is on your processor. Back at launch when I played it AA caused issues, but it doesn't matter as with a high internal resolution there are hardly any jaggies any ways. I really recommend using an actual Wiimote instead of a controller, I doubt that it will be able to emulate Wii Motion Plus very well.

Caelus

I really recommend using an actual Wiimote instead of a controller, I doubt that it will be able to emulate Wii Motion Plus very well.

Thanks for the advice! I compared using my Xbox 360 controller and my Motion Plus and the latter lagged a lot when using the sword, but worked better when aiming. The former can emulate sword swings well but has trouble with aiming. I'll see if I can work it out. Thanks again.

Thanks for the advice! I compared using my Xbox 360 controller and my Motion Plus and the latter lagged a lot when using the sword, but worked better when aiming. The former can emulate sword swings well but has trouble with aiming. I'll see if I can work it out. Thanks again.
When you say lag do you mean frame drops or input delay? Because I didn't have any issues.

vaelic

Banned
shits so confusing, dont even know where to begin. I have skywayrd sword , so how do I make an .ISO of it? i clicked the link in main page but i couldnt figure it out

Ledsen

So I FINALLY found the perfect Dolphin build for Xenoblade.

It's Filthy's 3.0-96 ICC build. It's the ONLY build I've tried that doesn't have any slowdown, even in huge battles where you're using effect-heavy skills left and right, at 4x resolution and 8x AF. I've tried like 5 other builds and they all have slowdown down to 22-25 fps in those battles (I'm on a i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz and a GTX 560 Ti). So if you want a 30 fps Xenoblade experience 100% of the time, this is the only way you're going to get it. Strangely enough the only person I've seen recommending it is this one guy.

Top Bottom