• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Would I be able to run Xenoblade correctly WITHOUT overclocking my 2500k?
I also have 8 GB of RAM and a GTX 570.

Dmax3901

So I'm having trouble getting rid of the low-res DOF in Wind Waker, despite following several guides.

Anyone care to share how they get it to run?

StevieP

Banned
Hush, this thread would be half its length if people just tried things out and reported results :p

I generally keep my 2500k at stock (even when emulating) and Xenoblade plays mostly fine with a few frame drops here and there. I even played Skyward Sword on stock clocks. I only overclocked to 4.5ghz for Mario Galaxy

I generally keep my 2500k at stock (even when emulating) and Xenoblade plays mostly fine with a few frame drops here and there. I even played Skyward Sword on stock clocks. I only overclocked to 4.5ghz for Mario Galaxy

For some reason on my system, i had to overclock my 2600k to 5GHz for Skyward Sword not to drop frames while z targeting. Game runs fine without overclock but as soon as you hold-target someone the frame start going down to 15-20fps

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Would I be able to run Xenoblade correctly WITHOUT overclocking my 2500k?
I also have 8 GB of RAM and a GTX 570.

Ill never understand K series chips at stock speeds...... never.

Just for the sake of making sure this post isnt useless, i tested XenoBlade with my 2500K back at stock with my GTX570 back at stock and 16Gb ram....and well Xenoblade runs.
Pretty much locked at 30fps, slight slowdown during one of the cutscenes but otherwise totally playable.

StevieP

Banned
For some reason on my system, i had to overclock my 2600k to 5GHz for Skyward Sword not to drop frames while z targeting. Game runs fine without overclock but as soon as you hold-target someone the frame start going down to 15-20fps

Sometimes that happened to me as well, tbh. It was random though and not every time. I figured it was some kind of emulation bug and trudged on through (or reloaded the game or area and it was fine).

Ill never understand K series chips at stock speeds...... never.

Heat. I do most of my gaming nowadays on a 2500k system with crossfired 5850s... in an HTPC :)

Black_Stride

Heat. I do most of my gaming nowadays on a 2500k system with crossfired 5850s... in an HTPC :)

Whats the point having a K series chip if you arent going to overclock it.
You know the only difference between the 2500 and the 2500K is the K series has an unlocked multiplier thus can be easily be overclocked to hell....if you arent going to overclock it, you might as well have bought a 2500.
But hey thats just me, i feel bad when i see k series chips at stock....its like seeing people who put big turbos in cars that never reach boost rpm.

StevieP

Banned
Whats the point having a K series chip if you arent going to overclock it.
You know the only difference between the 2500 and the 2500K is the K series has an unlocked multiplier thus can be easily be overclocked to hell....if you arent going to overclock it, you might as well have bought a 2500.
But hey thats just me, i feel bad when i see k series chips at stock....its like seeing people who put big turbos in cars that never reach boost rpm.

I overclock it from time to time, but not a constant thing. Basically the option is there should I need it (in exchange for my HTPC case temps going higher of course).

Something I've had the hardest time figuring out is a streamlined method for connecting multiple wiimotes to the PC via Bluetooth. I tried wiiconnect, but that doesn't seem to work on windows 7.

This is basically for an htpc running on xbmc. I'm trying to streamline the process where I can.

Any suggestions??

BlackBeetleKing

Neo Member
add some new characters into SSBB
iXMnfxV7vZxvo.png

ibhtCr2SQfn5SW.png

iqTQV19IRDaA3.png

ibkTlH8YbstvRC.png

iW60DNxFL5sfv.png

ibbqnrxbY6Dxvj.png

ih0Rk5qnZGeS2.png

ibx8NIiyTpbA6L.png

ibx1CHMd92JLnn.png

i6RyN8LjOOPpz.png

Exuro

Just started messing around with this and google couldn't help. Is there a way to use a controller as a nunchuk and mouse as the pointer at the same time? I can get them to work individually but I can't find if theres a way to do both at once.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is this from a new/recent mod? If so, may be thread worthy.

You've been able to "add" characters by editing the in-game models for a long time now. I didn't really follow it, but it looks like people have gotten a lot better at it as time's gone by. They've even modified movesets as well IIRC, which has naturally resulted in some horribly balanced characters.

Still cool though, and it makes me look forward to the WiiU Smash Bros game since it will inevitably have DLC characters. I hope Nintendo goes all out with that.

wazoo

I have a Wii homebrewed, tons of originals, a PC and dolphin and everything seems fine.

Anyway, I read a lot that you should provide your DSP roms files for a better sound.

Someone could be very fine to explain how to do it from my original wii correctly ??

And what to don next ??

Rich!

I have a Wii homebrewed, tons of originals, a PC and dolphin and everything seems fine.

Anyway, I read a lot that you should provide your DSP roms files for a better sound.

Someone could be very fine to explain how to do it from my original wii correctly ??

And what to don next ??

Use the link above to get the homebrew app that rips it (you then just put the files into the correct Dolphin folders). However, it is a HUGE strain on the emulation - firstly, are your PC specs good enough?

I can run Xenoblade at 1080p full speed with v-sync. However, it all goes to shit when I try using the DSP rom for sound. Unless I'm totally wrong and there's another reason for it working like shit? Doesn't really matter anyhow, I'm happy with how it is using HLE.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Use the link above to get the homebrew app that rips it (you then just put the files into the correct Dolphin folders). However, it is a HUGE strain on the emulation - firstly, are your PC specs good enough?

I can run Xenoblade at 1080p full speed with v-sync. However, it all goes to shit when I try using the DSP rom for sound. Unless I'm totally wrong and there's another reason for it working like shit? Doesn't really matter anyhow, I'm happy with how it is using HLE.

If you aren't running a XB-specifically optimized build, that might help. But yeah, even then you'll still need some horsepower to run LLE at full speed. I can do it fine at 1920x1200 w/ v-sync and LLE with an i7 2700k OC'd to 4.4 GHz and GTX 570 OC'd to 1.075 GHz.

wazoo

hum, I have a i5 at 3.4 with a 7850 OC.

Everything runs 100% with HLE.

Beside Xenoblade, is it ok for others ?

I will rip them to try.

Hieberrr

How much would a new machine cost (for all parts sans DVD Drive and HDD) approximately cost to get Dolphin running at 100% at 720p?

seldead

I don't know about you guys but I've found that running LLE on thread actually gives me better performance than HLE and you get better sound to boot. If you have a quadcore or greater processor it's probably a setting worth giving a try

58501gb
2500k 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram btw

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know about you guys but I've found that running LLE on thread actually gives me better performance than HLE and you get better sound to boot. If you have a quadcore or greater processor it's probably a setting worth giving a try

58501gb
2500k 4.3ghz
8 gigs ram btw

LLE gives you better performance? That doesn't sound right at all, wonder if it's how you have your sound settings or something.

Rorschach

I can't get the wiimote to work. :(

BP2gR.png

It says I'm paired up. Windows recognizes it... all the guides say it should vibrate when it pairs up, but that it doesn't do. I don't get the 1p light either...

[edit]I unchecked that box right now since I was just trying things, so that's not it. :p Tried 3.0, but I can't get it to pair up at all with that one...

I'd like to resolve this before I leave LA tomorrow. :/

jediyoshi

It says I'm paired up. Windows recognizes it... all the guides say it should vibrate when it pairs up, but that it doesn't do. I don't get the 1p light either...

Here's the process I go through to sync

Remove the Wiimote from the devices section if it was previously synced
Make sure a game is already running
Set Wiimote 1 to Real Wiimote
Sync the Wiimote through Bluetooth Devices
Hit the Refresh button in the wiimote config

That should be it. Could also try selecting the Connect Wiimote 1 options in the Tools section

Rorschach

Here's the process I go through to sync

Remove the Wiimote from the devices section if it was previously synced
Make sure a game is already running
Set Wiimote 1 to Real Wiimote
Sync the Wiimote through Bluetooth Devices
Hit the Refresh button in the wiimote config

That should be it. Could also try selecting the Connect Wiimote 1 options in the Tools section

Thanks for the tip. Looking around, it turns out it's my new wiimote that's the problem. Crap. I gave my old wiimotes to my nephew...

[edit] Got the toshiba stack to work. Guess I'll run with this for a month...

Black_Stride

How much would a new machine cost (for all parts sans DVD Drive and HDD) approximately cost to get Dolphin running at 100% at 720p?

250 US.
No screen - cuz you will use your TVs HDMI
No KB&M - cuz you can find those anywhere for free
No HDD
No DVD
No OS -cuz you have a windows XP/Vista/7 CD somewhere in your house.
qraAH.jpg

Add a Graphics card and you can run tougher shit.
A GTX560 goes for about 150 US these days and youll be absolutely set for purrity much everything.

oatmeal

Banned
250 US.
No HDD
No DVD
qraAH.jpg

Damn.

That's a great deal...For about 400 total you could bump up the RAM and get a decent vid card, too.

Jazzem

This thread makes me want to get a high end computer more than the prospect of playing taxing PC games! It's a shame the Wii has such poor picture quality. I'm hoping the WiiU helps make them look a little better at least, even if it won't render them in HD like dolphin does.

Black_Stride

Damn.
That's a great deal...For about 400 total you could bump up the RAM and get a decent vid card, too.

You dont need more than 4GB of ram for general computing and gaming there are so few PC games that have 64bit exes and even of those 64 bit exe games very few of them need anywhere 4GB of RAM.

As for a graphics card 150 will get you a GTX560 you are really set for PC gaming and easily for Dolphin.

This thread makes me want to get a high end computer more than the prospect of playing taxing PC games! It's a shame the Wii has such poor picture quality. I'm hoping the WiiU helps make them look a little better at least, even if it won't render them in HD like dolphin does.

You dont need a high end computer for Dolphin really, SandyBridge-E and a GTX680 are alittle much for Dolphin.
A 2500 and a GTX560ti are more than sufficient for Dolphin.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shiiiit at Xenoblade on Dolphin! :O
I've just started playing with 4x res + 4x AA, and the difference between this and playing the game on my Wii (4:3 SDTV) is incredible. I mean, it was barely playable on my TV and it was a jaggies fuck-fest.

I didn't go very far yet (I've just arrived at the first village, Colony 9 I think), but so far it's running pretty well. A little choppy sometimes when there's a lot of stuff going on, but perfectly playable. I'm currently running it on a 2500k (not overclocked, since I'm using the stock fan) with 8 GB of RAM and a 570GTX.

EDIT: Oh and I'm using 3.0-96 with the Mylek 3.1 patch. This build was one of the best for running the game if I am not mistaken

Hieberrr

250 US.
No HDD
No DVD
qraAH.jpg

A GTX560 goes for about 150 US these days and youll be absolutely set for purrity much everything.

Whoa, thanks!

I probably have to invest a little more into seeing how my current PC is a Dell (proprietary casing, shitty mobo, etc...).

But wow, it definitely beats the $600-700 pricetag that I thought I would have to shell out.

Ledsen

Holy shiiiit at Xenoblade on Dolphin! :O
I've just started playing with 4x res + 4x AA, and the difference between this and playing the game on my Wii (4:3 SDTV) is incredible. I mean, it was barely playable on my TV and it was a jaggies fuck-fest.

I didn't go very far yet (I've just arrived at the first village, Colony 9 I think), but so far it's running pretty well. A little choppy sometimes when there's a lot of stuff going on, but perfectly playable. I'm currently running it on a 2500k (not overclocked, since I'm using the stock fan) with 8 GB of RAM and a 570GTX.

EDIT: Oh and I'm using 3.0-96 with the Mylek 3.1 patch. This build was one of the best for running the game if I am not mistaken

Yep, it should be.

Black_Stride

would dolphin be not needed after wiiu released? i wonder

Even if it did upscale games(Its doesnt by the way)
Could it upscale the games to 2560 x 1440, it cant display anything at that resolution.
Could it add any AA and/or SuperSampling, nope.
Could it allow you to play Wii and GC games with an Xbox 360 controller, nope

SO yeah Dolphin will still be relevant and will still be the definitive way to play GC and Wii games.
Long Live Dolphin!

KScorp

Quick hardware question, I have a Q6600 @ 2.66GHz (slight overclock). Assuming that I have the best video card imaginable for Dolphin, are there going to be any FPS issues with any Wii or GC game? I'm ready to upgrade my video card, with Dolphin being one of the main reasons, but I don't want to shell out money for one just yet if it's not going to solve all my FPS issues at 1080p with anti aliasing.

Top Bottom