• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

hlhbk

What's your CPU clock speed?

Try the latest builds. It should be playable as there have been a ton of fixes for the game and in general since. And yes the game is still very demanding and nothing will 'fix' it. You'll need better hardware.

Did they fix the BT issues with the Inbuilt M+ wiimotes that came out after the Wii U did? Cause that's what stopped me dead last time I tried this.

Sentenza

Haven't noticed Twilight Princess getting any slower....I have the GC version though.
At the current state it doesn't.
Given some decent hardware the game keeps steady 30 fps in every single circumstance.
The Hyrule Field massive slowdown was actually fixed (once again) with a new "hack" they released a coupe of months ago.
Right now I think it should already be part of every standard release for Dolphin, by the way.

Terra

How do you guys think that Twilight Princess and Xenoblade would run on this rig?

Laptop Intel i7 4810MQ @ 2,8 ghz
GeForce GTX 880m
12 GB Ram

Could one expect full speed on this?

Garteal

You should run it well mostly with drops here and there especially with some parts requiring EFB to RAM (for the visor to function). You should really look into overclocking that CPU though, it's simple and straightforward.

How do you guys think that Twilight Princess and Xenoblade would run on this rig?

Laptop Intel i7 4810MQ @ 2,8 ghz
GeForce GTX 880m
12 GB Ram

Could one expect full speed on this?
Yes.

Xenoblade should run really well as should Twilight Princess. Late game Hyrule Field is the most demanding in Twilight Princess afaik, but you should be fine at 3.7GHz with a Haswell chip.

You should run it well mostly with drops here and there especially with some parts requiring EFB to RAM (for the visor to function). You should really look into overclocking that CPU though, it's simple and straightforward.

Yes.

Xenoblade should run really well as should Twilight Princess. Late game Hyrule Field is the most demanding in Twilight Princess afaik, but you should be fine at 3.7GHz with a Haswell chip.

2.8GHz, so probably not full speed.

Schlomo

On the subject of Skyward Sword, I hear emulation of it isn't perfect and in fact the majority of games have issues?

Many games have some minor issues and imperfections, but almost all of the important ones are fully playable. Skyward Sword in particular is pretty much perfect. I played it to completion via Dolphin when it was released.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fixes the issue, but the remaining two options aren't optimal and I greatly prefer Xaudio.

I'm using 4.0.2
Also downloaded DirectX end-user runtime web installer, only to get a "everything is up-to-date" message.

Grab the latest dev build. Its almost always the best option.

hepburn3d

Got this working last night thanks to reading through everyone's posts. Thank you.

It works amazingly, particularly like being able to make a shortcut with an exec"path" and then put that shortcut into my steam library and launch from big picture mode, amazing.
Only ripped 2 games so far but think I may have to put my whole library on there :)

One thing that would be super nice, that I haven't figure out yet, is how to close the app on exit of the game? i.e. press home button, hit return home, closes game and emulator. At the moment it just crashes the game and goes to a black screen. I'm guessing that's the best I can hope for?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Is it possible to run Xenoblade Chronicles on a laptop with 540m, i5 and 6gb of ram ?

ALM5252

I bought me a desktop computer from Walmart yesterday, and I can play Dolphin (Melee and Brawl / PM) at an average of 45-60fps with Frame limit on, 2x Native (1280x1056), no anti-aliasing, and 16x anisotropic filtering.

They do lag when playing with items and more than 2 characters at a time.

Is there anyway to upgrade my computer for a much richer experience without costing too much?

8.00GB RAM (7.89 usable)
Intel Core i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz
64-bit OS
Windows 8
HP Pavilion 500-023w

This is also my main college computer, so Dolphin is more of a luxury right now. So it's not a huge priority to upgrade the computer. Haha

PGamer

fucking juniors
New article: Hardware Review: Mayflash DolphinBar

I didn't realize Mayflash was actually producing dedicated hardware for Dolphin now. Interesting.

I bought me a desktop computer from Walmart yesterday, and I can play Dolphin (Melee and Brawl / PM) at an average of 45-60fps with Frame limit on, 2x Native (1280x1056), no anti-aliasing, and 16x anisotropic filtering.

Is there anyway to upgrade my computer for a much richer experience without costing too much?

8.00GB RAM (7.89 usable)
64-bit OS
Windows 8
HP Pavilion 500-023w

This is also my main college computer, so Dolphin is more of a luxury right now. So it's not a huge priority to upgrade the computer. Haha

I think the only real upgrade you would want to look at with that is to consider getting a midrange graphics card if you're using integrated currently. Check out the "I Need a New PC!" thread for getting help picking one out. According to their current picks it will be a ~$130+ upgrade if that's within your budget.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
@PGamer

That wireless sensor bar seems pretty awesome, specifically because of that built in Bluetooth adapter that works with the newer Wii Remote +'s. I already have a bluetooth adapter and a sensor bar, but for the convenience of having the newer Wii Remote support, as well as being able to use my old Bluetooth adapter to connect PS3 controllers wirelessly, I might end up picking one of the Mayflash ones up.

8.00GB RAM (7.89 usable)
64-bit OS
Windows 8
HP Pavilion 500-023w

Throwing in a graphics card will provide huge benefits. I've got a GTX570 which you can get for very cheap now and it runs most games at full framerate rendering at 1080p.

Of course, it's an old card now though so you'd probably be better off going with something in the GTX750/760 range.

k_hop

In Metroid Prime Trilogy, is it feasible to map the IR to the mouse and have it be playable? Metroid Prime 1 with decent mouse aim would basically be the most fantastic thing ever.

k_hop

In Metroid Prime Trilogy, is it feasible to map the IR to the mouse and have it be playable? Metroid Prime 1 with decent mouse aim would basically be the most fantastic thing ever.

Apologies for the double post, but if anybody else was wondering: it's crap. Dual analogs works pretty well though.

k_hop

Might try with dual analogs. Wii motion controls are ruining some otherwise great experiences for me

I'd be playing it with dual analogs right now if my computer was good enough to run the game feasibly in the first place. If using something like a 360 pad, just remember to go into options and invert the jump / shoot buttons before you start the game. (I use R-trigger for B and A for, well, A)

Pachimari

Can somebody help me with finding a Bluetooth dongle that will support these Nintendo and Sony controllers? I don't even know what to look for. Apparently I bought a wrong dongle.

ALM5252

Throwing in a graphics card will provide huge benefits. I've got a GTX570 which you can get for very cheap now and it runs most games at full framerate rendering at 1080p.

Of course, it's an old card now though so you'd probably be better off going with something in the GTX750/760 range.

So if I get this will it be enough for my computer to comfortably play Brawl on Max or close to Max settings?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IDG3IDO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Will it work with my computer for sure? Like an easy installation? I'm totally new to graphics cards. Lol Always used whatever my computer came with.

redlegs87

f26Lbbu.jpg

I am new to using Dolphin and I just started playing DKCR the FPS counter says I am getting a constant 60fps but I feel stuttering every now and then and the audio seems to skip or bug out now and then as well. On top of that DK seems to have this slim black bar above him at all times that I don't know how to get rid of.

System specs: i5 4670K 3.4GHz (haven't oc'd it yet), GTX 760 2GB, 8gb of ram, Windows 8.1 x64

If there is any more information you guys would need to suggest settings and stuff for me to use please tell me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
f26Lbbu.jpg

I am new to using Dolphin and I just started playing DKCR the FPS counter says I am getting a constant 60fps but I feel stuttering every now and then and the audio seems to skip or bug out now and then as well. On top of that DK seems to have this slim black bar above him at all times that I don't know how to get rid of.

I had the stuttering issue as well. I found that toggling pause in Dolphin tended to fix it. Try setting the hotkey to a button on your controller with Xpadder or JoyToKey to make it easier. Hopefully someone else has a better answer.

Can't help with the black bar. Maybe try changing the video backend.

hepburn3d

Any one found the sweet spot for Legend of Zelda Wind Waker in regards to graphics?

I'm loving the anti aliasing and anti anisotropic filtering. It makes the game look great up close but at a distance textures go all mangled. I've turned filtering off and put AA to 8. Wondered if any one else had fiddled with the settings and found a nice medium.

redlegs87

I had the stuttering issue as well. I found that toggling pause in Dolphin tended to fix it. Try setting the hotkey to a button on your controller with Xpadder or JoyToKey to make it easier. Hopefully someone else has a better answer.

Can't help with the black bar. Maybe try changing the video backend.

Well I got rid of the black bar by switching to OpenGL instead of DX9. Hadn't tried that pause function yet I'll try it out in a bit. Seems a bit smoother but still some stuttering issues as of yet.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
New article: Hardware Review: Mayflash DolphinBar

I didn't realize Mayflash was actually producing dedicated hardware for Dolphin now. Interesting.

@PGamer

That wireless sensor bar seems pretty awesome, specifically because of that built in Bluetooth adapter that works with the newer Wii Remote +'s. I already have a bluetooth adapter and a sensor bar, but for the convenience of having the newer Wii Remote support, as well as being able to use my old Bluetooth adapter to connect PS3 controllers wirelessly, I might end up picking one of the Mayflash ones up.

That was an interesting read. While I realise the IR sensor resolution is an inherent hardware issue (unless somebody wants to try modding a better camera into the wii remote?) could this development mean we could see a proper Windows driver in the near future?

Even with the low resolution camera, the motion tracking capabilities of a wii remote plus still make it an attractive proposition for a low cost input device. I'm wondering how hard it would be to try applying motion control profiles to certain PC games, even just as an experiment.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
f26Lbbu.jpg

System specs: i5 4670K 3.4GHz (haven't oc'd it yet), GTX 760 2GB, 8gb of ram, Windows 8.1 x64

If there is any more information you guys would need to suggest settings and stuff for me to use please tell me.

It seems like Anti-aliasing is what causes the lines.

Red

I'm looking to set up a small PC in my living room for media. Anyone had luck with AMD APUs for Dolphin (or PCSXe)? Not expecting to crank up visuals but I'm wondering what's playable on an A10-5800.

Recommendations for library management or HTPC front ends also welcome. How are Plex and XBMC for handling Dolphin?

(sorry this not Dolphin-specific but i didn't want to resurrect the ancient HTPC thread)

I'm looking for a reason to install a media hub but not at the expense of speed and functionality. I have very little experience with software like XBMC, and right now it seems way more efficient to install a keystroke launcher and simply type what I want to open.

PGamer

fucking juniors

LilJoka

I'm looking to set up a small PC in my living room for media. Anyone had luck with AMD APUs for Dolphin (or PCSXe)? Not expecting to crank up visuals but I'm wondering what's playable on an A10-5800.

Recommendations for library management or HTPC front ends also welcome. How are Plex and XBMC for handling Dolphin?

(sorry this not Dolphin-specific but i didn't want to resurrect the ancient HTPC thread)

I'm looking for a reason to install a media hub but not at the expense of speed and functionality. I have very little experience with software like XBMC, and right now it seems way more efficient to install a keystroke launcher and simply type what I want to open.

And to add Pentium G3258 is also a good option with grounds for upgrades further down the line.

Red

Thanks for the suggestions, but I already have the PC assembled. I'm just moving it to the living room.

I have a beefier machine in the office but it's in use as a workstation.

To clarify, the PC wasn't built with gaming in mind. It was meant as a back up machine while my main was on the fritz. Now that they're both working I'd like to try and get the cheapo rig set up as a media hub. I've been surprised at just how nicely the A10-5800 handles gaming and was wondering if anyone has used it to emulate GC games. It would be neat if I could play Double Dash on my HDTV without it looking like hot shit.

Red

For those wondering, Double Dash runs (nearly) at 100%. Slight slowdown with lens flare effect.

I'm excited to try out more games.

Brawl, Melee, Double Dash, and MK Wii are all about 99% full speed. Dips so rare they are negligible.

I built this PC for $350 and never expected to be running Dolphin, let alone running Wii games at full speed. Very impressed with this APU.

OpenMP texture decoder enables all the above games to consistently run full speed.

Pro

I'll probably periodically post some screens I've been taking of my current Skies of Arcadia play through. The game runs perfect about 85% of the time. Then there are periodic frame rate drops to about 12 FPS for a few seconds before it is back to normal. But it really isn't that bothersome because it gets back to normal in a few seconds. So the widescreen hack, higher res, and most importantly Save States!! more than make up for it. It's just as good as I remember and it's probably been 10 years since I've played this. Enjoy. 2560x1600 QFS.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
So, just something I've been wondering for a while and have no idea how feasible it is.

But we've been dumping and modifying textures, even changing their resolution, using emulators for quite some time. What are the technical hurdles needed to overcome in order to do something similar with models, be they character or environment?

Top Bottom