• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Aeana

Really? You'd think a i5-3570k/760GTX/8GB ram pc would be enough, but the game runs like shit for me. A bit surprising tbh.
How much of that is the emulation? The game runs like garbage on the real hardware. The emulator tells you whether it's running at full speed via the vfps.

Chairhome

If I had been running a xenoblade specific build (I forgot the name of it), will this new official build be a better choice? I'm guessing yes.

aravuus

runs well for me.

i7 4820K @ 4.5 ghz and R9 280X/ 16GB ram

Well your CPU is a fair bit stronger than mine lol

How much of that is the emulation? The game runs like garbage on the real hardware. The emulator tells you whether it's running at full speed via the vfps.

The percentage next to vps and fps was jumping between 60 and 80, the sound was crackling and it was like it was in slow motion so it was most certainly on my end.

e: actually now that i think of it, it ran so bad that there's gotta be something wrong with my settings or something. i run xenoblade in full speed in 1080p for crying out loud, tls can't be that demanding lol

Garteal

Thanks for the replies, I'm new to Dolphin and I don't really have an idea of what my PC can handle emulation wise.

My rig is AMD based which I've been told isn't great for emulation.

CPU - 6350 @3.9 GHZ
GPU - R9 270x
Unfortunately that CPU is too slow for The Last Story. You should be fine with some of the more lightweight games such as NSBW, Muramasa, Brawl, etc.

Really? You'd think a i5-3570k/760GTX/8GB ram pc would be enough, but the game runs like shit for me. A bit surprising tbh.
Yes. I'm assuming you're using the latest dev builds.
Where exactly are you experiencing these and what's your CPU clocked at?

e: actually now that i think of it, it ran so bad that there's gotta be something wrong with my settings or something. i run xenoblade in full speed in 1080p for crying out loud, tls can't be that demanding lol
They're not even in the same league in regards to emulation intensity. The Last Story is one of the most demanding games to emulate.

nkarafo

How fast is N64 emulation through Dolphin in the last few builds? F-Zero X is much better than on normal N64 emulators but it stutters every now and then, despite the fact that emulation speed is at 100% all the time :(

PGamer

fucking juniors
If I had been running a xenoblade specific build (I forgot the name of it), will this new official build be a better choice? I'm guessing yes.

Most likely yes. I think those old "game specific" builds were usually based off of 3.0 or 3.5 which are ancient by this point. There have been a ton of optimizations and bug fixes since then.

Lol..just updated to the latest build and F Zero has gone from a nice smooth 60fps (with the odd dip down to 56fps) to now running like complete and utter dog shit.

Framerate is now all over the place from 15-60fps, menu screens are now sitting at 20fps and when racing the frame rate will one second be at 30fps and then jumps upto 60fps then back down to low 30's.

FFS!!!....When am I going to learn..if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Running it on an Intel 4690k @ 4.6Ghz

PGamer

fucking juniors
Lol..just updated to the latest build and F Zero has gone from a nice smooth 60fps (with the odd dip down to 56fps) to now running like complete and utter dog shit.

Framerate is now all over the place from 15-60fps, menu screens are now sitting at 20fps and when racing the frame rate will one second be at 30fps and then jumps upto 60fps then back down to low 30's.

That's likely due to the shader cache issues. It goes away after playing for a while.

aravuus

Dolphin is mostly a CPU demanding emulator.

Yeah, that's what I said. i7 4820K is way stronger than my i5 3570k, and mine is stock.

Yes. I'm assuming you're using the latest dev builds.
Where exactly are you experiencing these and what's your CPU clocked at?

3,4GHz and all the time, really. Even the first corridor is unplayable.

They're not even in the same league in regards to emulation intensity. The Last Story is one of the most demanding games to emulate.

Never would have thought of that. It's kind of fascinating really, I thought I knew something about emulating and emulators.

e: nothing seems to help so eh, i'll just wait for even later builds to play tls

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Make sure V-Sync is off, and make sure Sync GPU Threads or whatever the

right click > properties

option is called.

Gvaz

Banned
Dolphin Progress Report: September 2014 has been published today.

Expect better performance with the optimizations made by FioraAeterna over the last two months.

• Dolphin POV-Ray Benchmark: 62% faster
  • Sonic Colors: 39% faster
  • Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: 103% faster
  • F-Zero GX: 110% faster
  • The Last Story: 38% faster
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: 40% faster
More more in-depth coverage, check out the article here and as always, if you're having trouble with anything try the latest development build!

Yay, maybe I can finally finish TLS. It's ran like shit for as long as I can remember.

nkarafo

Are these speed improvements implemented yet? I just downloaded the latest developer build and there is almost no difference in speed to F-Zero GX, compared to a build i downloaded 2 months ago. I'm not even seeing a 10% improvement, let alone 110% that the report claims.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
[*] Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: 103% faster

Wow, really? I ripped my disc some time ago but it plays like crap on my PC, so I still play this one on my Gamecube instead. I'm wondering if this speed boost will change that? Can't wait to try that out.

I still love playing this game. Someday I'll get all gold medals. Someday....

Lettuce

It will be soon for all once this and a couple of other fixes get merged to the master branch.

So is Rodge Squardon playable now then?, as when i tired it the other month you could not see the deathstar at all on the first level and only thing you could see is that big orange planet???

Is there a nightly build that has these speed boost updates and the fixes you mentioned??

Miker

Wow, really? I ripped my disc some time ago but it plays like crap on my PC, so I still play this one on my Gamecube instead. I'm wondering if this speed boost will change that? Can't wait to try that out.

I still love playing this game. Someday I'll get all gold medals. Someday....

So is Rodge Squardon playable now then?, as when i tired it the other month you could not see the deathstar at all on the first level and only thing you could see is that big orange planet???

Faster, but not playable. Still has a massive freeze issue: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Star_Wars_Rogue_Squadron_II:_Rogue_Leader

Datschge

One should note that the speed improvements are for the MMU part (that's the one that needed the huge CPU power in past). If the bottleneck is already elsewhere (GPU, low level emulation and compatibility) the improvements obviously won't be as apparent.

Garteal

Yeah, that's what I said. i7 4820K is way stronger than my i5 3570k, and mine is stock.

3,4GHz and all the time, really. Even the first corridor is unplayable.
Why don't you overclock that CPU? It'll help bridge a lot of gaps especially in emulation.
Anyway, the game is forced to run with EFB Copies set to RAM by default in the ini, if you switch it to Texture you should gain quite a bit of FPS, but that'll break the clothing etc.
One thing I did on my playthrough (a looong time ago) was enable hotkeys and switch it to RAM (with the hotkey) before I entered a new area and switched it back.

Check out the wiki for more info on that and other stuff.

Are these speed improvements implemented yet? I just downloaded the latest developer build and there is almost no difference in speed to F-Zero GX, compared to a build i downloaded 2 months ago. I'm not even seeing a 10% improvement, let alone 110% that the report claims.
Yes, most of them are, but she's always working and fixing regressions and also bringing new improvements so we might see more gains.

Is there a nightly build that has these speed boost updates and the fixes you mentioned??
No, not yet. There is work in progress, but it's not quite ready yet. One of the testers even managed to beat the whole game with some patches and specific hacks.

aravuus

Why don't you overclock that CPU? It'll help bridge a lot of gaps especially in emulation.

Honestly, I've never had the need to. This is literally the first time ever this CPU hasn't been enough.

Then there's the fact that it's still on its stock cooler and I know absolutely nothing about overclocking lol

Garteal

Honestly, I've never had the need to. This is literally the first time ever this CPU hasn't been enough.

Then there's the fact that it's still on its stock cooler and I know absolutely nothing about overclocking lol
Emulation is a different beast than PC gaming. Dolphin for one requires OC'd CPU's for certain demanding games, but you should abstain from overclocking until you get yourself a nice third-party cooler.

I hope Ill be able to play xenoblade with HD textures when the update hits. My non-k i5 really doesn't like that game :/
The updates are already out in the wild if you grab a development build, so go ahead and give it a try. If you're having issues then let the shader cache generate.

Which i5 and GPU do you have?

aravuus

Emulation is a different beast than PC gaming. Dolphin for one requires OC'd CPU's for certain demanding games, but you should abstain from overclocking until you get yourself a nice third-party cooler.

I know, but this is the first time I've had problems even emulating. I've played tons of PS2, Gamecube and Wii games on an emulator and The Last Story is the first game that simply has been too demanding.

The updates are already out in the wild if you grab a development build, so go ahead and give it a try. If you're having issues then let the shader cache generate.

Which i5 and GPU do you have?
4440 3.10Ghz. The framerate would go below 30 and basically everything stuttered, including the audio. I even put the game on the SSD hoping it would be a problem of textures streaming, but no dice.

evilalien

Has anyone finished Baiten Kaitos on Dolphin?

Heard there are freezing/slowdown issues.

I did about 8 months ago on a i5-3570k @ 4.3Ghz. I did run into a few freezes, mostly related to savestates, and there were definitely some areas with some slowdown, but battles always ran well so it wasn't a big deal. The issues weren't too bad overall.

BadWolf

I did about 8 months ago on a i5-3570k @ 4.3Ghz. I did run into a few freezes, mostly related to savestates, and there were definitely some areas with some slowdown, but battles always ran well so it wasn't a big deal. The issues weren't too bad overall.

Awesome, thanks :)

Damaniel

Banned
I know, but this is the first time I've had problems even emulating. I've played tons of PS2, Gamecube and Wii games on an emulator and The Last Story is the first game that simply has been too demanding.

All of the speed issues related to The Last Story are purely in EFB emulation. The game requires 'EFB to RAM' for accurate treatment of the EFB (and enforces it in the game INI), but on my system (an overclocked Core i7-2600K), the difference in FPS between 'EFB to texture' and 'EFB to ram' is massive (90+ FPS with 'EFB to texture' versus barely 20 FPS with 'EFB to RAM'). If I didn't mind the missing textures/polys so much, I could just play with EFB to texture enabled and the game would run flawlessly performance-wise, even with a high (3x native) internal resolution.

However, all things considered, Dolphin is still the best emulator out there. The speed and compatibility changes made since the 3.5 days now mean that my girlfriend can play Xenoblade on her gaming laptop with a (mobile class) Core i7 processor and modest mobile graphics chipset at full speed. Back when I first played it in Dolphin, it took LLE emulation and tons of CPU power on a desktop-class Intel CPU to get the game even in the ballpark of full speed. The awesome monthly status reports (complete with their technical explanations of what's getting fixed) are icing on the cake.

Wow haven't been keeping up with Dolphin at all, glad to hear such huge improvements to speed. I was to the point that I wasn't expecting improvements to speed on it years ago (indeed, I was expecting it to lose speed as it became more accurate).

Azar

Just saw this pop up online: http://www.pcgamer.com/how-gamecubewii-emulator-dolphin-got-a-turbocharge/

Awesome to see Dolphin is still going strong. Im still rocking a AMD 1090T X6 @3.7Ghz. Might load up the latest version and see SMG runs.
Hey, thanks for posting. I've been using Dolphin for years, and when I saw the September update I felt compelled to talk to Fiora about her work on the emulator and how much she'd accomplished in such a short timespan. There are tons of other people doing great work on it too, obviously, but I felt like this was worth highlighting.

Am I the only one experiencing random slowdowns in Twiliight Princess Wii? If I enter a new area or pause the game, the game will randomly run at 50% for 30 seconds or until I press the home-button?

I didn't have that problem when I played it about a year ago. I'm running an i5-3570.

This is what I did to solve the problem:

- Update to latest revision
- Went from a scrubbed iso, to a non-scrubbed one
- Went from NTSC to PAL.

Now I don't have the problem, I do however experience slowdowns almost everytime I slash the sword at an enemy. The game runs perfect otherwise so I have no idea how I'm going to fix it.

It seems the problems arise whenever the game issues certain sound-effects, like when you successfully herd a goat into the barn.

My rig:
Geforce GTX 660ti
Haswell i5 4670K, OC at 4.1 ghz
8GB Ram

That's likely due to the shader cache issue. Read this if you want to know more about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/programmin...ii_emulator_dolphin_got_a_turbocharge/cl59yg4

Well I did some things to alter it (written in my last post) but now there seems to be issues when certain sound-effects are triggered, like when an enemy is struck by a sword.

HLE fucks up the sound, which is sad as I didn't notice the slowdowns when using it, but then I tried running DSP LLE on separate thread, and the problems don't seem as prominent now. Will continue and report back when I've tested some more.

Top Bottom