• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Willy105 said:
It would need the specs that these guys are running their Dolphins on. If it has them, sure.
Not really. Nintendo could code a infinitely more efficient emulator, than where dolphin is at now. If they can get a much stronger GPU along the lines of what the wii currently has running the software at a higher res probably should not be a problem.

JADS

Anony said:
isnt epic mickey out next week?

I walked in the store today and there it was :) Seems to be out in certain parts of Europe, like the Netherlands.

dolphin2010-11-1819-35sl89.jpg

dolphin2010-11-1819-346y0o.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, that second shot of Epic Mickey looks pretty ugly. I'd like to see some other areas, but I'm not a huge fan of the actual texture work they've got going on there. That roof looks especially bad. It looks significantly more last gen than many of the other games in this thread. Sonic Colors in HD, for instance, looks almost 360/PS3 quality at times.

WillyFive

Krauser Kat said:
Not really. Nintendo could code a infinitely more efficient emulator, than where dolphin is at now. If they can get a much stronger GPU along the lines of what the wii currently has running the software at a higher res probably should not be a problem.

Of course. But it certainly isn't going to run on a console that's only a big a jump from the Wii as the Wii was from the Gamecube.

JADS

dark10x said:
Hmm, that second shot of Epic Mickey looks pretty ugly. I'd like to see some other areas, but I'm not a huge fan of the actual texture work they've got going on there. That roof looks especially bad. It looks significantly more last gen than many of the other games in this thread. Sonic Colors in HD, for instance, looks almost 360/PS3 quality at times.

Agreed, texturing is a bit wonky from time to time. There is a Chineese Dragon bridge that just looks downright terrible. Other scenes do look pretty decent.

Two more shots:

dolphin2010-11-1819-53e9s7.jpg

dolphin2010-11-1819-54qxv1.jpg

Stupid question: how are you playing these Wii games? Can you connect Wiimote to a PC using 3rd party drivers, or you are using keyboard + mouse?

AppleMIX

Castor Krieg said:
Stupid question: how are you playing these Wii games? Can you connect Wiimote to a PC using 3rd party drivers, or you are using keyboard + mouse?

The Wiimote is a blue tooth device, so all you need is a blue tooth adapter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Krauser Kat said:
Why would they bother? There is no monetary gain from it.

ismaboof said:
So is it feasible for a Wii2/HD to be able to upscale Wii games to these levels?

Why the fuck do people keep asking about a Wii 2 making Wii 1 games look as good as Dolphin does? The question shows up like once a page.

Me said:
We already had this discussion, it is way too much effort for almost no real monetary return to the console manufacture. If you are lucky, they will sell Wii games/GC games on their next system like they do N64 games now but it will be an incredibly limited selection and won't have much effort put into them (incredibly doubtful that they will add in 16:9 support for GC games or super-sampling).

And if they make too many changes to the hardware layout, they will have to do brute force software emulation as seen in Dolphin and that almost always require several times the power of the original system and is far from perfect. The original PS3 included parts from the PS2 to make emulation optimally, but later on they removed that part and switched over to mostly software based emulation and all of the sudden there were tons of issues. GC games on the other hand work almost perfectly on the Wii because the hardware architecture remained so similar and hasn't changed since release.

If I had to guess, the average PC emulating these games is probably 10-20 times more powerful than the Wii.

Instro

I have to say Im impressed with how stable this emulator is, I was testing it out the other day with REmake and it runs like a charm. I'll have to try something more graphically intensive next time to see how my computer holds up.

Stallion Free said:
Why would they bother? There is no monetary gain from it..

Yes there is. It would mean that they wouldn't have to include the Wii's CPU & GPU inside the next console if they have BC (which they definitely will), making the future console cheaper.

The next Nintendo console will not be using the Wii/GCN architecture. They've already shown that they're looking to move onto a modern architecture with the 3DS. Running a Wii emulator would be a trivial task for a system due for release in 2012.

Oh and Epic Mickey looks really good, if a bit spotty in a few places. I'd say that this is due to the fact that much of the game was outsourced to several devs in other countries like India, so you end up with some inconsistent work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yes there is. It would mean that they wouldn't have to include the Wii's CPU & GPU inside the next console if they have BC (which they definitely will), making the future console cheaper.

The next Nintendo console will not be using the Wii/GCN architecture. They've already shown that they're looking to move onto a modern architecture with the 3DS. Running a Wii emulator would be a trivial task for a system due for release in 2012.
That's exactly what Sony tried to do on the PS3 and they failed fucking hard.... and they weren't even trying to increase resolution. Then they realized they can do inexpensive custom ports to PS3 and charge a decent price and people will pay.

SMH.

JADS

Crunched said:
JADS, the real question is how it performs. Any hiccups so far?

On the real hardware, stable 30 FPS. On Dolphin the games seems to require an extremely fast CPU to hold a stable framerate. In a sense it's like Sonic Colours, heavy enough to bring an i7 860@3.5 Ghz to its knees. Sound also seems to bug out from time to time but that can be fixed by going into the home menu. I haven't really played around with settings yet, though.

ismaboof said:
So is it feasible for a Wii2/HD to be able to upscale Wii games to these levels?
Not likely. The cost of the hardware to run the games like this is much more significant than what you'd get in a $300 or similarly priced console.

Anth0ny

colon said:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m15x/pd
I'm saving up for one of those. Will it give me any trouble trying to run some of these games with the recommended settings you guys have been posting?

I'm in the same situation. I heard that beast can run Mass Effect 2 at the highest settings with no problems. Surely it can run Dolphin at the highest settings?

Also, I predict Nintendo will release the some games as HD compilations next gen, similar to the God of War collection (and others). Hopefully, we get a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess pack at the very least :D

Red

JADS said:
On the real hardware, stable 30 FPS. On Dolphin the games seems to require an extremely fast CPU to hold a stable framerate. In a sense it's like Sonic Colours, heavy enough to bring an i7 860@3.5 Ghz to its knees. Sound also seems to bug out from time to time but that can be fixed by going into the home menu. I haven't really played around with settings yet, though.
Hm. I have a 4GHz i7, but if there are sound issues I might have to play through on Wii first.

It's strange feeling bad about having to actually play Wii games on Wii :lol

Anth0ny said:
I'm in the same situation. I heard that beast can run Mass Effect 2 at the highest settings with no problems. Surely it can run Dolphin at the highest settings?

Also, I predict Nintendo will release the some games as HD compilations next gen, similar to the God of War collection (and others). Hopefully, we get a Wind Waker/Twilight Princess pack at the very least :D

With these gaming laptops, chances are they're all gonna have enough GPU muscle for Dolphin. Just make sure that you get a processor that has high clocks. I have a laptop with the 1.6 GHZ core i7 720qm and it doesn't quite cut it for 3D games in dolphin.

Durante

Stallion Free said:
That's exactly what Sony tried to do on the PS3 and they failed fucking hard.... and they weren't even trying to increase resolution.
You can't really compare emulating PS2 to emulating GC/Wii. The latter's architecture is much more straightforward. (That's not to say that Nintendo will try to do it, but one has to wonder why they include high-res assets for the HUD in all their Wii games)

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey, can someone help me out? I just got a new laptop:

Processor: i5 450M (2.4GHz)
Memory: 6GB DDR3
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850
Video Memory: 1GB
OS Window 7 - 64
Desired Resolution:: 1366x768 (HDTV)
Laptop: ENVY 17-1010NR

It seems like I can play Wind Waker at a full 30fps, but nothing on GameCube will hit the elusive 60fps. I have the latest version of Dolphin, but I think I need help setting it up so I can get maximum efficiency out of it. I remember tales of people getting F-Zero GX to run at 60fps months ago, and I feel like my laptop is at least of specs of computers back then. Anyone willing to show me the absolute best configuration in order to crank out some serious frames per second?

That'd be greatly appreciated. =)

Mr_Brit

Banned
Dacvak said:
Hey, can someone help me out? I just got a new laptop:

Processor: i5 450M (2.4GHz)
Memory: 6GB DDR3
GPU: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850
Video Memory: 1GB
OS Window 7 - 64
Desired Resolution:: 1366x768 (HDTV)
Laptop: ENVY 17-1010NR

It seems like I can play Wind Waker at a full 30fps, but nothing on GameCube will hit the elusive 60fps. I have the latest version of Dolphin, but I think I need help setting it up so I can get maximum efficiency out of it. I remember tales of people getting F-Zero GX to run at 60fps months ago, and I feel like my laptop is at least of specs of computers back then. Anyone willing to show me the absolute best configuration in order to crank out some serious frames per second?

That'd be greatly appreciated. =)
Simple. Your CPU is too slow to get 60FPS out of anything but simple games and since you're on a laptop there isn't much you can do about that.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Stallion Free said:
The emulator is processor intensive, so that's probably what is holding you back.
Well, that's a bummer.

Can you still show me some good settings for the emulator? For example, last night I had Wind Waker running at a full 30fps... now I can't get it past 23 for some reason. Also, this crap happens.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll be trying DKC out later today, after I can go pick it up.

And yeah to people asking about laptops running Dolphin...sadly the CPUs just aren't there yet. To get a proper Dolphin experience, it takes an i5/i7 overclocked to 4.0GHz. Of course, I'm running stuff with my Q8300 @ 3.0GHz, so it's not to say certain games can't run with lesser hardware.

Dacvak

Dacvak said:
Well, that's a bummer.

Can you still show me some good settings for the emulator? For example, last night I had Wind Waker running at a full 30fps... now I can't get it past 23 for some reason. Also, this crap happens.
No one? :(

Crispy

Holy sh*t!! Those screenshots! Incredible!!!

I wish I hadn't seen this thread. It will be hard playing my wii again in standard resolution.

Sadly my laptop isn't good enough to run Dolphin properly, otherwise I would've hooked it up to my Sharp 1080p TV like I do with zsnes.

Durante

TheExodu5 said:
And yeah to people asking about laptops running Dolphin...sadly the CPUs just aren't there yet. To get a proper Dolphin experience, it takes an i5/i7 overclocked to 4.0GHz. Of course, I'm running stuff with my Q8300 @ 3.0GHz, so it's not to say certain games can't run with lesser hardware.
I agree that laptops generally aren't there yet, but I think you're slightly overstating the requirements for a "proper" experience. I run an i7 at 3.5 GHz and I haven't encountered a (correctly emulated) game that doesn't run at full speed. That's still high end, but not "liquid cooling recommended" levels of OC.

Dennis

Banned
Hey Stallion Free, just popped in here to say that your Kirby's Epic Yarn screenshots are some of the most beautiful screenshots I have ever seen.

And what an argument for Wii HD they make!

TheExodu5

Banned
Durante said:
I agree that laptops generally aren't there yet, but I think you're slightly overstating the requirements for a "proper" experience. I run an i7 at 3.5 GHz and I haven't encountered a (correctly emulated) game that doesn't run at full speed. That's still high end, but not "liquid cooling recommended" levels of OC.

Well your chip is capable of running 4.0GHz. I just put that number out there because it's the number people generally go for when shooting for an air overclock.

So gentlemen, is there any resource online that i can use to find the absolute best builds to boot up and play certain backups of mine as fast as possible (speed/compatibility wise)? I'm feeling like moving over to Emulation exclusively since I have a rig to handle it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
So gentlemen, is there any resource online that i can use to find the absolute best builds to boot up and play certain backups of mine as fast as possible (speed/compatibility wise)? I'm feeling like moving over to Emulation exclusively since I have a rig to handle it.
Some guides from this thread: here.

And the official Dolphin forums, if you have the patience to dig through them: here.

Top Bottom