• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald J. Trump elected 45th President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2187

Banned
I will have nothing to do with this thing we elected in office.

Im not moving anywhere, Im not leaving the country.

I'll be an american and do my duty to oppose this man at every opportunity.

This is not my president, this is not Americas president.

Not the america I grew up in.

captainpat

I never wanna see an article about how "so-and-so comedian DESTROYS republican politician". Comedy does jack shit in influencing people.

legacyzero

Banned
Obama used Super pacs. Nominated two judges that oppose citizen's united. And if you're referring to speeches, they don't really say what you're saying they say. Regardless this is pointless now. Hillary will never again be a force in politics. Congratulations.
There was way more than the trivial things you listed. Terrible trade deals. Excessive flip-flopping that contortionists couldn't stop calling "evolution" when it's really political expediency and not being principled. Clinton Foundation. Taking massive amounts of money from people she shouldn't have. Lying about her hate for TPP after lobbying for it repeatedly.

Even if you just wanna dismiss all that- it killed her campaign dead. The deplorables and people wanting radical change grabbed that shit and ran with it.

You're seeing the proof this morning whether you like hat or not.

I guess another silver lining other than the DNC having a long look in the mirror is that perhaps this also means a refocusing on states by Dems?

More focus on progressive legislation at a state level (yay states rights?), more focus on retaking governorships and state legistlatures?

Andodalf

Banned
Maybe the day after the election should be a holiday.

Haha, The day of would be a better one, I could have studied then! And people could vote, obviously. But yeah, For College campus's why not both? Have a lot of speakers and open debates and whatnot both days!

Peru

I'm a privileged fuck who has the choice to drown myself in escapist exercises and live life as before more or less whatever happens in this world. Millions don't.

I'm interested to see what Trump does with regards to his promise to rebuild infrastructure. He mentioned it specifically last night. It would take a lot of money to do, but it could provide a lot of jobs. Seems like a smart tactic for someone who has promised rapid economic growth. With control of the House and Senate, it may be possible to pass a large (trillion dollar+) spending package. A sort of New Deal, which would also help him bridge the gap with Hillary supporters.

Increasing military spending, specifically procurement, could be also be a job booster. Though probably more limited. I guess if you work in the military-industial complex your future looks bright. Shipbuilding in particular could grow. Though there is debate about how much shipbuilding could expand with the current talent pool.

The Iran deal could be sacrificed, but I am not sure how possible that is. Maybe he will be convinced to back away from that stance.

Yeah really, never thought I'd long for the days of seeing GWB.
Well at least GWB, didn't have a smug face on him, pretending to not be incompetent. There was a air of confusion and incompetence on him most the time, which came off kind of genuine. Trump is very different to me, like some scam artist who tricked you into sleeping over at your house for a night, and now it's been two weeks, not only he hasn't left, he is making himself the master of your domain. Taking over your own house. I'm saying all this as a Canadian btw. :/

IronLich

I voted Trump.

And even I didn't think he had a chance, NOR would it be this close. It's absolutely insane. Even my own state showed their true colors. Utter madness.

I was expecting you to drink my tears in the morning, GAF.

Given they make up about 85% of the US population, I think it's safe to say that for literally every election isn't it?

I think white people make up 70% of registered voters in this election, the lowest it's ever been (and I assume it'll probably only get lower unless all the minorities leave).

Audioboxer

Oh, he won't even begin to be able to deliver on the promises he made (mostly), that's not what I meant.

Trump winning is very likely to inspire other outsiders to run, or change the way political hopefuls approach the podium.

It has also made many aware of the importance of voting. Again, Brexit happened in large because an incredible amount of people din't vote. I had a friend who was staunchly opposed to Leave, yet he sat at home on the days leading to the vote without registering with the mindset that "whatever, we're obviously going to win."

Also, if Trump truly makes a mess of his tenure perhaps people will look at the idea of a protest vote itself and realise the risk isn't worth it.

The point is that this will change how races are run and how people engage.

This feels horrible right now, but there is a chance it's exactly what was needed to get people aware.

Possibly, but hindsight can be a damning thing.

Still I do hold back some caution to the hysteria seen around "nukes, WW3, everyone being deported", as I'm reasonably confident even if things get worse for America now it won't be to the extreme many on GAF are posting.

Given they make up about 85% of the US population, I think it's safe to say that for literally every election isn't it?

Somewhat true, but a lot of the initial resentment in the wake of the vote is just coming from a place of emotion rather than dealing with statistics correctly. Many wake up this morning desperately wanting to blame something quickly. The correct weight of blame is a more complex issue, and one which the democratic party has to take seriously and figure out for 4 years time.

I'm interested to see what Trump does with regards to his promise to rebuild infrastructure. He mentioned it specifically last night. It would take a lot of money to do, but it could provide a lot of jobs. Seems like a smart tactic for someone who has promised rapid economic growth. With control of the House and Senate, it may be possible to pass a large (trillion dollar+) spending package. A sort of New Deal, which would also help him bridge the gap with Hillary supporters.

Increasing military spending, specifically procurement, could be also be a job booster. Though probably more limited. I guess if you work in the military-industial complex your future looks bright. Shipbuilding in particular could grow. Though there is debate about how much shipbuilding could expand with the current talent pool.
I'd actually be pretty impressed if he manages to get some major infrastructure improvements in. The US needs it.

Did Clinton ever make a speech? I've been busy with work.
In 10 minutes I think.

Angelina

Banned
The problem is those people protest voting have seemingly no grasp on the consequences of their own actions. To them anything bad that happens is the fault of some "other", whether that be minorities, the biased liberal media, some vague sense of "the establishment", never themselves.

When EU subsidies leave Cornwall a dried up husk of a county here in England they're not going to be asking themselves whether they're at fault, they're going to be attacking someone else for not magically making things OK. The same goes with Trump, now they've voted for him there is likely to be NOTHING that can happen that will make them blame Trump or themselves.

They feel theyhave no way of making there point. If the system.is fucking them this is there only way they see of sending a message.

Something has to give in the next few years
so many people feel so disconnected from reality etc.

This was the same reason brexit happen so many pissed off with politicians ignoring peoples voice and completey fucking minority people etc.

Someone has got to be lying. Shy trumper.

They faked the excitement really well then.

I just realized the joke that's there but whatever they're hiding that shit well then. I live in Louisiana so like this doesn't really surprise me but it's still just all numb.

cheezcake

Increased minority vote for Trump too. Not just white people.

It really seems like a complete rejection of liberal values in the modern internet age.

It honestly seems more like a complete rejection of establishment politicians + hyper partisanship. This presidential race never felt particularly policy-driven.

Oh, Penn took so long last night I fell asleep. Guess I could've stayed up for 10 more minutes.

I have never been more disapppointed in our Country than I am right now. I guess this is really happening.

So honest question from a non American

Does this election have the potential to actually be the catalyst for an official 3rd party in the U.S.?
With so many republicans distancing themselves from Trump and the general apathy to vote for Hillary from small Democrats, could a centralist party form?

Or is that just not an option in American Politics where is in Canada that seems to be fairly easy thing to do with support(Relatively speaking.)

Gary Johnson seemed to get quite a large number of votes...something in the mid 3 million when I last saw it.

I think Gary Johnson rose more than any other candidate because of how much people hated Clinton and Trump, not because there was a majority of people who like him.

Until we change it, America is a two party system through and through and there's very little chance for a third party to be elected or even have a chance. In this case due to the large number of third party votes, it was essentially a vote for Trump.

darkwing

just realized the Paris Agreement about climate change is basically useless now with the biggest country saying climate change is a hoax

Damn... i really did wake up to a president that dont pay taxes.. shieeet why do i need to pay mine?

I wish we could do that.

Heartbreaking really. Can anyone remind use of all the negative things trump stands for and maybe the pros?

Also is that wall thing reeeaaaally going to happen?

Crayon

I voted Trump.

And even I didn't think he had a chance, NOR would it be this close. It's absolutely insane. Even my own state showed their true colors. Utter madness.

I was expecting you to drink my tears in the morning, GAF.

I hope you have the capacity to see what you have wrought when it comes, and not blame others.

darkwing

I wish we could do that.

Heartbreaking really. Can anyone remind use of all the negative things trump stands for and maybe the pros?

Also is that wall thing reeeaaaally going to happen?

it's not happening, I think majority of the GOP doesn't want it too because it would cost a lot

Steel

Banned
There was way more than the trivial things you listed. Terrible trade deals. Excessive flip-flopping that contortionists couldn't stop calling "evolution" when it's really political expediency and not being principled. Clinton Foundation. Taking massive amounts of money from people she shouldn't have. Lying about her hate for TPP after lobbying for it repeatedly.

Even if you just wanna dismiss all that- it killed her campaign dead. The deplorables and people wanting radical change grabbed that shit and ran with it.

You're seeing the proof this morning whether you like hat or not.

Yes, I know the appearance of absolute corruption killed her. The fact is, though, the proof of that is weak and she has shitloads of stuff out in the public thanks to wikileaks. The DNC employees had opinions and favored a candidate... But didn't act on it. A democratic pundit on CNN overheard two questions and shared them. If you think that actually flipped the primaries and stole the election from Bernie you're kidding yourself.

And with all these leaks she's basically laid politically naked and all people have is weakass connections between donations and world leaders getting to meet the secretary of state. I wonder how many candidates can have their personal information dragged out into the open and not have anything suspicious pop-up?

And to be clear, I would've preferred Biden because he didn't have the public baggage, and I said as much before.

Chariot

Oh cool, there's someone in Klan robes waving a Trump sign in my city this morning.
Prepare for more of this. The UK got visibly meaner and more xenophobic after Brexit as people who were keeping it low suddenly felt enabled. I suppose something similar will happen in the US with low-key racists starting to be more open again.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The most shocking thing is that someone who has never held elected office, or served in the military, has risen to the office of the president.

Kanye, Schwarzenegger, David Duke, I no longer believe in any kind of check or balance or any kind of disqualification for those seeking that office.

Money in politics, being a Washington insider, a strong fund-raising arm, advanced polling and campaign management, the Democrats supposedly had all of that and still lost.

Never again can a candidate be dismissed for any quality. That's a huge problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom