• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald J. Trump elected 45th President of the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare for more of this. The UK got visibly meaner and more xenophobic after Brexit as people who were keeping it low suddenly felt enabled. I suppose something similar will happen in the US with low-key racists starting to be more open again.

This has been happening for years now at least. Trump was a catalyst for sure but around 2008 they really came out of the woodwork.

ezrarh

Whether Trump or Clinton won, we knew there were institutional problems with our society as a whole. I think the people recognize major changes are needed and the Trump is the guy offering that. And to be fair to them, many of our issues from income inequality, climate change, etc can't be solved by changing the tax % by a few numbers here or there. Granted - doubt Trump will do anything that truly helps the poor. Democrats have to capture that populist sentiment as well and we simply can't just start calling white people trash.

IvanJ

Banned
Does Melania Trump have to be deported now? I mean, she wasn't born American, or is it alright cause she's white?
Only illegal immigrants are the ones that are at risk of deportation.
I mean, they are called illegal, so they are in the country against the law. It's just that many ignore them and let them be. All Trump was proposing is enforcing existing laws.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Increased minority vote for Trump too. Not just white people.

It really seems like a complete rejection of liberal values in the modern internet age.

Hillary likely won the popular vote. In terms of the election as a public opinion poll, it's not like the country just turned 90% against liberal/democratic values. If only a few hundred thousand people had voted the other way, Trump would have lost.

This is the problem with a divided country that is so polarized. Political power is swinging back and forth between two huge but largely equally sized groups, with each group seeing itself as representative of the "real" country. So every time it flips one side thinks they have been utterly rejected.

Unfortunately, the GOP has done a good job of locking up structural political power at both federal and state level. The danger is that this can allow 50% of the country to pretend that they are 100% That's what Trump's "take our country back" pitch was entirely predicated on.

Plum

They feel theyhave no way of making there point. If the system.is fucking them this is there only way they see of sending a message.

Something has to give in the next few years
so many people feel so disconnected from reality etc.

This was the same reason brexit happen so many pissed off with politicians ignoring peoples voice and completey fucking minority people etc.

This IS that "something", same with Brexit. It's only going to continue to get worse because like Brexit there is no turning back, so Trump supporters/Brexiters have to toe the line or else they'll be seen for who they really are (hypocritical bastards).

Zyrox

So I guess I'm late to the par...well, shitshow, but, really, wtf America? How did this clown get elected? First Brexit, now this...really depressing.

Syraxith

The problem with Trump is that no one truly knows what his presidency will bring, him being such a wild card and flipping his stance on everything depending on who he's talking to.

The worst case scenario is that the current generation of the GOP controls the entire government, this is a harder pill to swallow.

My only hope is that people actually pay attention to midterm elections (wishful thinking) and vote at that time and in four years we'll get fresh faces on both sides for the candidacy.

Steel

Banned
Only illegal immigrants are the ones that are at risk of deportation.
I mean, they are called illegal, so they are in the country against the law. It's just that many ignore them and let them be. All Trump was proposing is enforcing existing laws.

Ivanka Trump was here illegally in the past was what that post referred to.

Audioboxer

That's what other people does as well and Trump and his minions wants them deported.

This isn't going to happen. One thing the Democrats need to quickly look back with hindsight on is being baited by outrageous comments and hyperbole has not ended well. Don't do it next time.

Bleepey

I called it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151326

And poligaf and mods said it was never going to happen.

giphy.gif

Modbot was complacent and thought we were joking. Just locked the thread and thought we were bullshitting.

Trey

Increased minority vote for Trump too. Not just white people.

It really seems like a complete rejection of liberal values in the modern internet age.

marginal minority increases. Overwhelmingly unexpected white turnout for Trump.

Can't be a complete rejection of liberal values, Clinton won the plurality. It's losing support in the same states obama won prior, and the huge differences there are the white vote margins. So perhaps in those areas, they were energized by Trump's anti establishment campaign.

Angelina

Banned
I voted Trump.

And even I didn't think he had a chance, NOR would it be this close. It's absolutely insane. Even my own state showed their true colors. Utter madness.

I was expecting you to drink my tears in the morning, GAF.

Why does anyone think this is sane. you vote someone u thought wouldnt win. Thus giving them a vote they wouldnt have got.

Like pardon me being abusive but thats being utter retarded like your treating it as a joke.

If thats ur mindset u just shouldnt vote period

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Gary Johnson seemed to get quite a large number of votes...something in the mid 3 million when I last saw it.

I think Gary Johnson rose more than any other candidate because of how much people hated Clinton and Trump, not because there was a majority of people who like him.

Until we change it, America is a two party system through and through and there's very little chance for a third party to be elected or even have a chance. In this case due to the large number of third party votes, it was essentially a vote for Trump.

its to bad, we still need electoral reform here but I do think funding and support for other parties that rally enough support is an important part of our democracy, even if it dilutes the vote somewhat.

I know many are heartbroken by this but since its decided,I hope in time some good can come of this for our fellow North Americans in the U.S.

Why does anyone think this is sane. you vote someone u thought wouldnt win. Thus giving them a vote they wouldnt have got.

Like pardon me being abusive but thats being utter retarded like your treating it as a joke.

Maybe he wanted Trump to win even though he thought he wouldn't? Why is that so strange?

Retarded really?

Machina

Banned
I voted Trump.

And even I didn't think he had a chance, NOR would it be this close. It's absolutely insane. Even my own state showed their true colors. Utter madness.

I was expecting you to drink my tears in the morning, GAF.

People like you make zero sense to anyone. Remain yourself Mr. E Nigma and be done with it.

SentryDown

I wanted to make a joke about bad decisions and poor presidents but I was reminded we (french) have a president who stands at solid 4% approval rating.

TyrantII

The crazies pushed Trump past a huge field of established actual republican politicians. The DNC favored Clinton from the inside because it was her turn.

300+ million people and this is what we had.

Sorry, But you can't just wash away millions of primary voters and the caucuses. The DNC is not Dr Evil's Consortium, and inflating their role in Clinton being the parties nominee isn't going to help next time elections/primaries roll around.

Somebody can support a candidate and think they will still lose you know..

Uh.. It looks like he voted Trump because he wanted him to win, but didn't expect he would. It's not a joke vote.

eot

Banned
I lost faith in democracy. Brexit first and now this.
I don't think the people are capable or deserving of democracy. They're too fucking stupid.

It doesn't matter how much you hate Hillary Clinton. That you can be so uninformed that you'd vote for this obvious con man means you don't fucking deserve to vote. It takes all of 2 minutes and 10 taps on that supercomputer in your pocket to see how bullshit this orangutan is. But nope. Proudly choose ignorance instead.

Democracy has failed because people are just too fucking stupid.

Republicans would surely have said the same thing if Hillary won. The success or failure of democracy is not a function of how well the election results align with your personal political views. Your line of thinking is extremely fragile, which is why we still have and promote democracy.

oroboros

it's both funny and sad how politicians trick stupid and poor people to vote for candidates who are all about helping the rich and keeping the money flowing to the top. really evil genius type scam.

Plum

Whether Trump or Clinton won, we knew there were institutional problems with our society as a whole. I think the people recognize major changes are needed and the Trump is the guy offering that. And to be fair to them, many of our issues from income inequality, climate change, etc can't be solved by changing the tax % by a few numbers here or there. Granted - doubt Trump will do anything that truly helps the poor. Democrats have to capture that populist sentiment as well and we simply can't just start calling white people trash.

Sorry this isn't directed at you specifically but I'm sick of this rhetoric. If you're in a dire situation you're an idiot if you get fooled by someone who, by all evidence, does NOT care for you and in fact will go against your interests entirely. Trump doesn't give a single fuck about the working class poor and Brexit/the Tories don't either. It's Turkeys voting for Christmas, nothing more and nothing less.

Wow, what a night.

Couldn't go to sleep so watched it all and was shocked at first. How could a man like this win?

After the shock passed I was less surprised. The western world in general has been moving right and this is no exception. First the Brexit, now Trump. people are ANGRY. There is a large group of voters that feel abandoned, frustrated. They feel like they don't matter, feel like their country's gone to shit, losing control.

The EU is slowly showing cracks in it's foundation, and over here in the Netherlands it's no different. Far right groups are winning everywhere and our nationalist party, the PVV, could very well be the largest coming elections next year.

It's something the ruling order just completely ignored or didn't want to see, who knows. I think we are partly to blame for the succes of these groups.

Moving forward I am very curious how this all is going to work. is the rhetoric of these people going to become business as usual? Or was it just election propaganda?

Time will tell.

It's scary, but life goes on. Stay strong and try to have a little faith in humanity, although that may seem like a tall order right now. We've been through much, much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom