• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: New Previews and Trailer (10/28)

swerve

Emonga said:
Jesus, did you guys even finish grade school? Motion controls are by definition more cumbersome than just pushing a button (not saying anything about whether they are fun or not).

No they aren't. I can flick a wii remote at the same time as pressing a button, whereas I can't press the same button at the same time as pressing the button, and I am using the other button for something else (like running), and I only have one right thumb.

Therefore, when used smartly (like the subtle jump extend in NSMBWii) they are an INCREASE in the input complexity and control available.

Emonga said:
Jesus, did you guys even finish grade school? Motion controls are by definition more cumbersome than just pushing a button (not saying anything about whether they are fun or not).
nothing more cumbersome than fighting two analog sticks. Watch noobs, sinse you don't seem to remember.

Mael

swerve said:
No they aren't. I can flick a wii remote at the same time as pressing a button, whereas I can't press the same button at the same time as pressing the button, and I am using the other button for something else (like running), and I only have one right thumb.

Therefore, when used smartly (like the subtle jump extend in NSMBWii) they are an INCREASE in the input complexity and control available.

Someone gets it!
seriously watch the expert vids, it's.....enlightening

Emonga said:

Actually, they're not more cumbersome "by definition."

Altazor

JaseC said:
It's the same trailer as linked to in the OP. :lol

lolz, that's what happens when you don't check the OP updates =(

edit: you sure? I clicked all the links and neither one was this trailer.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Altazor said:
lolz, that's what happens when you don't check the OP updates =(

Actually, I was mistaken. I thought this thread was actually this thread, which was created for the trailer you mentioned.

Sorry. :lol

JaseC

It really is a great trailer. AFAIK, it's the first time they've shown off the factory environment. The background platforming section was particularly great.

The game won't hit the shelves here in Aus. for at least another month (give or take a few days). The next handful of weeks are going to go by very slowly.

Altazor

factory AND lava, if I'm not mistaken. lookin' good.

and, that silhouette level with the mist and stuff... beautiful.

JaseC

Altazor said:
factory AND lava, if I'm not mistaken. lookin' good.

Indeed!

and, that silhouette level with the mist and stuff... beautiful.

So beautiful.

I've been waiting for another DKC game since I was 8. Hard to believe it's almost here. Playing through NSMBWii made me feel like I was a kid again, playing through Super Mario World for the first time, and I'm expecting a very similar experience with DKCR.

boiled goose

good with gravy
swerve said:

i agree. the airtime in nsmbwii works awesomely. what i am worried is that shake to roll seems to be less intuitive than shake to spin a tiny bit in the air. It is about the timing of the actions. rolling seems to be a slower/momentum based action. it just seems weird that it would be triggered by a short lasting quick flick.

i dunno, i will have to try it out of course.

Cafeman

Nice to see 2.5D gameplay didn't die in the Sega Saturn / PSX years. Some of the scenes of this game reminds me of Clockwork Knight 2. Strange as that may sound.

Retro is proving to Nintendo what they can do and that they're a company worth keeping, unlike Rare. Although Rare did do it for them back in the SNES area going into N64. I was amazed at how good this game looks from all these preview videos.

so what the previews are telling me that as a Retro Studios & platforming fan i absolutely need to have this asap. My projected gaming budget for q4 needs a re-adjusting again.

Myriadis

When is the official thread going up? The ridiculous amouts of DKCR threads getting bumped and then information being regurgitated is getting farsical

Yeah,noticed it now.That crap is really confusing.But I love the orginal DK in the background anyway.:D

When is the official thread going up? The ridiculous amouts of DKCR threads getting bumped and then information being regurgitated is getting farsical

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
hyduK said:
Why have I yet to see any snow or factory levels :(. Retro, you have failed me.

There are factory levels in one of the more recent trailers.

Rich!

The lava levels look like they've been ripped straight out of DKC2. Awesome.

Here's hoping the music is a remixed hot head hop.

richisawesome said:
The lava levels look like they've been ripped straight out of DKC2. Awesome.

Here's hoping the music is a remixed hot head hop.

I really doubt it.....it seems like they are only re-mixing songs from the first DKC.

rpmurphy said:
And also Game of the Month. Any confirmations on this?

"DKCR = 9.5 + Game of the Month:

Concept - Retro Studios revives the Donkey Kong Country series and makes it better than ever

Graphics - Gorgeous characters and stages from beginning to end, with some awesome silhouetted areas sprinkled throughout

Sound - Familiar tunes are updated, and the new tracks fit perfectly

Playability - Shaking the Wii remote to roll can be frustrating, but it's a rare blemish in a near-perfect experience

Entertainment - One of the best platformers ever made, and it certainly resides amongst the Wii's top titles

Replay Value - Moderately High"

• Source.

MYE

Gaminformer is fucking horrible but...

Tricky I Shadow said:
Entertainment - One of the best platformers ever made, and it certainly resides amongst the Wii's top titles

like music to my ears :D

scitek

Tricky I Shadow said:
Playability - Shaking the Wii remote to roll can be frustrating, but it's a rare blemish in a near-perfect experience

I see what they did there.

EDIT: "Rare-esque blemish" would have been so much more appropriate.

JaseC

Tricky I Shadow said:

The former part of that sentence won't poke the "Game journalists don't know how to play Wii games!" hive, right?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gamefaqs as source?

No thanks.

Kenka

JaseC said:
The former part of that sentence won't poke the "Game journalists don't know how to play Wii games!" hive, right?

I don't think so. I am used to shake the Wiimote in games I play. But for someone who isn't, it might be an issue during the first moments of the playthrough.

Who the hell cares what GameInformer gave it? The magazine is mock piece of shit with a clear, demonstrated bias. I half expected them to give DKCR an 11.

zigg

JaseC said:

I will defend to the death a number of good Wii games' motion controls, from SMG's spin, to NSMBW's tilt and shake, and of course basically the entirety of Excite Truck and Excitebots... but I tried it at E3, and I think DKCR's shake motion fits neatly in the pantheon of awkward, unnatural, and just plain dumb motion additions.

I don't really expect it to trouble people who are really looking forward to this game, though.

shahkur

Tricky I Shadow said:

YEEEEEEES!!!! So, will this be the Yoshi's Island of this gen? I sure hope so. The wait...the wait is killing me. At this rate I can already see guaranteed sequel.

shaowebb

Untitled-1.jpg

Dont ya just hate when your trying to hype the return of a series and this type of thread shows up right next to it.

wackojackosnose said:
Introducing Super Kong!! I hope he has a cape to go with his tie rather than being just a cheap palette swap.

S.K. shouldn't wear a cape. We all know what happens when supers wear capes.
Interesting to see is implementing the super guide in all their challenging platformer games. I am curious to see if they will try to implement this in their portable games next.

Altazor

a "white" version of Donkey Kong, hm?

Retro am nazis, überkongsch confirmed.

nah, that super guide feature seems cool. I only got it once on SMG2, and that was because I had trouble controlling goddamn spring mario.

Emitan

shahkur said:
YEEEEEEES!!!! So, will this be the Yoshi's Island of this gen?
I NEED MY PAYCHECK SO I CAN BUY A WII FOR THIS GAME. I am so goddamn excited for this. I just hope the rolling mechanic isn't as awkward as I feel it might be. I hated shaking to throw grenades in Metal Slug Anthology.

Neo Child

Banned
are people complaining about the controls of the game? isnt it just like 'shake to roll'?

if its anything like 'shake to spin' in mario galaxy then ... i dunno, i dont have hopes for humankind. shaking is fucking easy to do.

Top Bottom