• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: New Previews and Trailer (10/28)

Kandinsky said:
But gaf told me GI hated anything Wii/Nintendo related, so that must be fake?

No no no no.
GI just rates games based on if they think people will like them, rather than if they are actually good or bad.

Anth0ny

whitedonkeykong.jpg

Emitan

Neo Child said:
are people complaining about the controls of the game? isnt it just like 'shake to roll'?

if its anything like 'shake to spin' in mario galaxy then ... i dunno, i dont have hopes for humankind. shaking is fucking easy to do.
Is this wiimote on it's side controls or nunchuck? Because I hate shaking in sideways wiimote games.

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I thought this was a sideways wiimote game. I'm no longer concerned about the rolling controls.

Sipowicz

Banned
getting a good score from the shittest videogame magazine in america is not a good sign. fuck it's basically a brochure

Sipowicz said:
getting a good score from the shittest videogame magazine in america is not a good sign. fuck it's basically a brochure

Unlike Goldeneye and most other games though, I can't see any varying reviews for this game.

Seems impossible that it will score below 9s.

flak57

scitek said:
I see what they did there.

EDIT: "Rare-esque blemish" would have been so much more appropriate.
Of course this makes perfect sense, considering Rare's DKC didn't have this blemish, and this game does (according to this review).

Ranger X

Tricky I Shadow said:
"DKCR = 9.5 + Game of the Month:

Concept - Retro Studios revives the Donkey Kong Country series and makes it better than ever

Graphics - Gorgeous characters and stages from beginning to end, with some awesome silhouetted areas sprinkled throughout

Sound - Familiar tunes are updated, and the new tracks fit perfectly

Playability - Shaking the Wii remote to roll can be frustrating, but it's a rare blemish in a near-perfect experience

Entertainment - One of the best platformers ever made, and it certainly resides amongst the Wii's top titles

Replay Value - Moderately High"

• Source.

ok so the shaking the Wiimote to roll thing is real? eww..

flak57

Ranger X said:
ok so the shaking the Wiimote to roll thing is real? eww..
I would have been really pissed about this, but I found the spin in NSMB strangely addicting, so I'm reserving judgment until I try it out. But I am a little worried because I literally spin every other second when I play the other DKC games.

Really hope the game is 100%ble in singleplayer, but it probably will be.

Can't wait for this game, played and loved all the DKC's. My father used to help me through the hard parts in the SNES games :D

Sipowicz

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Unlike Goldeneye and most other games though, I can't see any varying reviews for this game.

Seems impossible that it will score below 9s.

seriously man gameinformer is just a terrible, terrible magazine. imo it is (along with G4) the worst videogame related thing there is.

i'm actually a bit worried that such a shitty magazine gave it a good score. if they liked it it cant be good

Ranger X

flak57 said:
I would have been really pissed about this, but I found the spin in NSMB strangely addicting, so I'm reserving judgment until I try it out. But I am a little worried because I literally spin every other second when I play the other DKC games.

Yep, just like me. I was roll kumping crazy in other DKC games and now we will have to adapt to some delay before rolling -- wich sucks. Starting a roll at the very edge of a platform + jumping in the air was SO satisfying in SNES DKC games.. I hope it will not lose it's appeal now. :(

Besides, the shake spin in NSMB Wii is the only flaw I can find in that otherwise perfect game. It's like Nintendo purposedly programmed something unperfect so the game looks like a product from human design. Problem is that not only that spin isn't much valorised in the gameplay outside the flying suit but it can trigger easily because of button press executed with a bit too much force during tension moments. :/

Cygnus X-1

Tricky I Shadow said:
"DKCR = 9.5 + Game of the Month:

Concept - Retro Studios revives the Donkey Kong Country series and makes it better than ever

Graphics - Gorgeous characters and stages from beginning to end, with some awesome silhouetted areas sprinkled throughout

Sound - Familiar tunes are updated, and the new tracks fit perfectly

Playability - Shaking the Wii remote to roll can be frustrating, but it's a rare blemish in a near-perfect experience

Entertainment - One of the best platformers ever made, and it certainly resides amongst the Wii's top titles

Replay Value - Moderately High"

• Source.

Retro Studios did it once again. Cannot wait!

pakkit

Banned
Sipowicz said:
seriously man gameinformer is just a terrible, terrible magazine. imo it is (along with G4) the worst videogame related thing there is.

i'm actually a bit worried that such a shitty magazine gave it a good score. if they liked it it cant be good
According to that "source" they also gave Epic Yarn a 9.5.

The fuck?

AniHawk

Ranger X said:
Yep, just like me. I was roll kumping crazy in other DKC games and now we will have to adapt to some delay before rolling -- wich sucks. Starting a roll at the very edge of a platform + jumping in the air was SO satisfying in SNES DKC games.. I hope it will not lose it's appeal now. :(

Besides, the shake spin in NSMB Wii is the only flaw I can find in that otherwise perfect game. It's like Nintendo purposedly programmed something unperfect so the game looks like a product from human design. Problem is that not only that spin isn't much valorised in the gameplay outside the flying suit but it can trigger easily because of button press executed with a bit too much force during tension moments. :/

the shake spin only really sucked in picking up bigger things. Using it for the extra jump was awesome, and not at all like rolling in DKCR, which is just a pain in the ass.

I'm not sure why shaking to roll should be a problem in DKC unless they fucked up the sensitivity somehow. SMG and NSMBWii have already proven that remote gestures are a much faster and more responsive form of input than button pressing could ever hope to be.

AniHawk

nincompoop said:
I'm not sure why shaking to roll should be a problem in DKC unless they fucked up the sensitivity somehow. SMG and NSMBWii have already proven that remote gestures are a much faster and more responsive form of input than button pressing could ever hope to be.
shaking to roll/move faster and shaking to save yourself in midair are two very different things. one might kill you at the wrong moment and the other is a natural reflex.

Sipowicz

Banned
pakkit said:
According to that "source" they also gave Epic Yarn a 9.5.

The fuck?

i don't fucking understand it. their shitty reviews are all over the place

i'm going to wait until someone more credible reviews it. like famitsu or ign

Ranger X

nincompoop said:

Err no. Not even possible. Just the time the game recognise the Wiimote movement needed for triggering the input you had the time to press a button more than once. What happens is that you adapt to the delay and still feels right. Still slower than a button press sorry.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't really mind going wiimote only, but it would still be really nice if games like this and NSMBWii at least allowed the option to use the CC. There aren't really any motion gestures in those games that couldn't be replaced with the tap of a button.

watkinzez

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I hope the Rare makers of the original series aren't bitter assholes about this game like the one guy was over the new Goldeneye.

Martin Hollis said:
"I know and like Eurocom. I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best."

Huh?

Ranger X said:
Err no. Not even possible. Just the time the game recognise the Wiimote movement needed for triggering the input you had the time to press a button more than once. What happens is that you adapt to the delay and still feels right. Still slower than a button press sorry.
No you're wrong, I've already tested this in Mario Galaxy 2 by shaking and pressing A simultaneously, and he almost always spins before he jumps. Waggle > button pressing confirmed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
jett said:
Doesn't hold a candle to the original on the SNES. :|

Nothing I've heard thus far is of the same calibre. Disappointing, but expected. Having said that, the music isn't bad, either.

If there's to be a sequel, Nintendo need to get Wise on-board.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is it 60 fps?

jett said:
Don't bother, NSMBW is inexplicably insanely overrated around these parts.

It is? I thought most people accepted it being significantly better than the DS game, but worse than SMB3 and World? (I think on level design, it's actually THE best, but that's just me).

hatchx

Banned
Oblivion said:
Shaking the wiimote to roll is dumb, dumb, doodledumb.

JaseC said:
Nothing I've heard thus far is of the same calibre. Disappointing, but expected. Having said that, the music isn't bad, either.

If there's to be a sequel, Nintendo need to get Wise on-board.

Let's just wait 12 days guys before being disappointed.

These are the guys who brought us Metroid Prime, after all. I trust their design choices more than I do game informer's opinion.

jambo

Sipowicz said:
i don't fucking understand it. their shitty reviews are all over the place

i'm going to wait until someone more credible reviews it. like famitsu or ign
:lol :lol

Oblivion said:
It is? I thought most people accepted it being significantly better than the DS game, but worse than SMB3 and World? (I think on level design, it's actually THE best, but that's just me).

No, there were quite a few posters trumpeting NSMBWii as the best 2D Mario platformer ever. I liked the game, but to think it was better than SMB3 or World would be a veeerrrryyy big reach.

hatchx

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
No, there were quite a few posters trumpeting NSMBWii as the best 2D Mario platformer ever. I liked the game, but to think it was better than SMB3 or World would be a veeerrrryyy big reach.

I'd like to pit NSMBwii against those two greats, but the music is so so pathetic. It really hampers it imo. Otherwise it's platforming bliss and with four players.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hatchx said:

I'm disappointed in what we've heard of the soundtrack thus far; I'm not writing off the OST entirely, although at this point it's becoming clear that it won't live up to Wise's SNES efforts.

bounchfx

brandonh83 said:
The remix sounds really good to me. Though I'm more anxious for original music.

Yeah I don't see any problem with it whatsoever, it's incredibly faithful, just with more fidelity. I listen to the original dkc ost very often too. really interested in hearing the originals from this too though. can't wait.

hatchx said:

These are the guys who brought us Metroid Prime, after all. I trust their design choices more than I do game informer's opinion.

Dude, Game Informer said this

Don't misconstrue their opinion like they trashed the game or something, it doesn't make sense. I put faith in Retro, and this review did everything to confirm my hopes for DKCR
though the title could have used some work ;)

boiled goose

good with gravy
AniHawk said:
shaking to roll/move faster and shaking to save yourself in midair are two very different things. one might kill you at the wrong moment and the other is a natural reflex.

exactly...

retro should have at least included optional CC option. That way you dont force the people who will complain about this flaw to suffer through it.

swerve

JaseC said:
I'm disappointed in what we've heard of the soundtrack thus far; I'm not writing off the OST entirely, although at this point it's becoming clear that it won't live up to Wise's SNES efforts.

But you wouldn't have the same attachment to Wise's (undeniably, outstanding) efforts if they weren't attached to the gaming memories with them. Even the best game soundtracks are totally tied to the experience. Sure, you can enjoy the music before you play the game, but the impact of discovering that music whilst enjoying the game is what drives game soundtracks so deeply into our hearts.

Kenka

Jesus Christ, David Wise is online right now on facebook.... should I... should I not ?!??

I wish I could say to him : "Why aren't you on board... FOR CHRIST'S SAKE."

Oblivion said:
How can it even be significanty better than the DS game when the latter is already excellent in and of itself.

Neo Child

Banned
for all the folk who are whning about shaking to roll:

the game doesnt really need you to roll as much as its predecessors did, theres more to do above simple platforms so you aint rolling as much

Neo Child said:
for all the folk who are whning about shaking to roll:

the game doesnt really need you to roll as much as its predecessors did, theres more to do above simple platforms so you aint rolling as much
Correlation != causation

Top Bottom