• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

Nabs

richiek said:
Apparently, there's a reference to the documentary The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters in the game:

http://www.slashfilm.com/billy-mitchell-donkey-kong-country-returns/

gaf > internet > gaf

here's another shot:

billy2duiq.jpg

Nabs

Well, they aren't terrible, but we have a CC workaround. It just requires homebrew and a little of your time.

GWX

Kandinsky, there must be something wrong with your controller. It works very well for me.

but I can't defeat that stupid World 6 boss god dammit

Kandinsky said:
Controls are terrible, Nintendo deserves to die for making Retro go that way, because thats clearly what happened there :/
Retro and Nintendo are one and the same now... You can't kick someone and then blame your foot for doing it.

GWX said:
Kandinsky, there must be something wrong with your controller. It works very well for me.

but I can't defeat that stupid World 6 boss god dammit
The Chicken?
If it's that one, it's pretty easy.

GWX

Sgt.Pepper said:
The Chicken?
If it's that one, it's pretty easy.

Nope,
the return of the first boss. I can't pass the third part (when he gets red), even when I manage to keep Diddy until then. He closes its shell way too fast.

Jasoco

Banned
I got the game on Thanksgiving and am up to world 8-2 and this is the most amazing thing I've seen this generation aside from Galaxy 1+2 and NSMB.

Also, all the in-jokes are great. The Mr. Game and Watch cameo and Billy Mitchell's tie on the monkey statue, and this one from world 3-1:
iydi69.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've only just sat down to play the game properly, I only did the first two levels but I am really impressed. It has that Nintendo feel where the character has the perfect weight and moves exactly where you want them to go. The controls work perfectly for me, it looks and sounds great, the level design is fluid but with plenty of hidden secrets, the style is much more Jungle Beat that DKC, but if I have one complaint it's that things are perhaps a little too detailed. It can be hard to take everything in, the animations of DK, Diddy and the enemies, the backdrops, the environmental detail, it's a sumptuous looking game but perhaps a touch busy. I can't wait to really get stuck into it.

beef3483

Finally beat the game. Loved it. Definately one of the most imaginitive and fun 2D platformers I've played.

Only flaw that I could see was the use of motions for roll. They were intuitive and immersive for ground pounds and blowing, but I can't understand why they thought it should be used for rolling. Like others have said, I died unnecessarily because i wanted to pound/blow and rolled instead.

Despite this, I thought the game was fantastic. I liked but didn't love the previous DKCs but this one blew me away, and ranks as my favorite 2D platformer of all time.

Furthermore, this cements Retro Studios as the world's best development team, in my mind. I absolutely adored the Prime games, and decided to take the plunge with this game solely because of thier development history, and once again they have gotten me into a franchise I didn't have much interest in, prior to thier involvement.

Jasoco

Banned
Trying to open all the K levels. Ugh, can't get the O in Button Bash! I can't manage to high jump off of the bird on stilts. But I can off him when he is not on stilts but then it's too fucking low. I CAN'T MANAGE TO TIME IT FUCKING RIGHT!

That is my ONLY problem with this game. Timing the high bounces is too hard. I do it when I don't need to, but when I need to, it's hit or miss. It should be activated by just having the jump button held down. I shouldn't have to time a press to do it here in 2010. It's the ONLY letter I need for world 3. Fucking bloody hell.

Hiltz

I beat the game last night with a friend taking turns playing levels. We only had to use the Super Guide mode twice but we'll eventually finish the levels ourselves. Now on to the
Golden Temple
and having to find those cleverly hidden puzzle pieces!

SMG 2 is king of the 3D platformer while DKCR takes the 2D crown. The only thing I miss from Rare's trilogy are the beavers, vultures, and killer bee enemies.

The only issues I have with the game are all related to the motion controls. From its use with the Kong Roll and gimmicky blowing mechanic to the seemingly oversensitive motion control DK punch finisher move against the dazed Tiki tribe bosses.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still enjoying the game, but it is definitely quite difficult. I'm not sure it will be as much of a joy as I would have liked replaying these levels due to the trial and error nature of the design. Once you've forgotten a stage, you will likely run into many of the same problems.

That said, it's very uneven in regards to difficulty. I can blast through some stages while barely losing a single balloon while others can take upwards of 20 tries or more!

agrajag

Banned
Jasoco said:
Trying to open all the K levels. Ugh, can't get the O in Button Bash! I can't manage to high jump off of the bird on stilts. But I can off him when he is not on stilts but then it's too fucking low. I CAN'T MANAGE TO TIME IT FUCKING RIGHT!

That is my ONLY problem with this game. Timing the high bounces is too hard. I do it when I don't need to, but when I need to, it's hit or miss. It should be activated by just having the jump button held down. I shouldn't have to time a press to do it here in 2010. It's the ONLY letter I need for world 3. Fucking bloody hell.

True, it's a step backward from the previous games.

Jasoco

Banned
agrajag said:
True, it's a step backward from the previous games.
I kept having to kill myself over and over and then run through the level to get back to it only to miss and have to do it again. Fortunately thanks to a hidden bonus level I got two shots per life but still, I can't jump right! And you don't even get Diddy at all during that whole first part of the level. Bullshit!

Trurl

Banned
I wonder if the game would be better if it were less forgiving about saving. As it is now the player (me, I suck) is always throwing balloons at a wall until it's eventually overcome. Perhaps if I had to replay some levels it would feel like I'm getting better and the experience would be more satisfying.

I know that that Miyamoto has said something similar to this before, but it seems especially true with this game.

agrajag

Banned
Jasoco said:
I kept having to kill myself over and over and then run through the level to get back to it only to miss and have to do it again. Fortunately thanks to a hidden bonus level I got two shots per life but still, I can't jump right! And you don't even get Diddy at all during that whole first part of the level. Bullshit!

Yeah, it kind of sucks sometimes that you have to kill yourself in order to get a KONG letter or something. In the older games they didn't matter, so I'd just keep going.

Trurl said:
I wonder if the game would be better if it were less forgiving about saving. As it is now the player (me, I suck) is always throwing balloons at a wall until it's eventually overcome. Perhaps if I had to replay some levels it would feel like I'm getting better and the experience would be more satisfying.

I know that that Miyamoto has said something similar to this before, but it seems especially true with this game.

I disagree because the game is completely unforgiving in all other respects. I do wish the game had a checkpoint barrel that you had a choice to break or not, rather than automatically saving at every checkpoint.

Trurl said:

I'm actually glad Retro included saving anywhere. Personally, it helps motivate me to go for completion while I'm still in the same world. I would get frustrated with NSMB. Since you could only save after fortresses and castles, I wouldn't want to waste lives on looking for the collectibles, and by the time you unlocked save anywhere (after completing the game), the memory of the levels starts to wear thin or I'll have moved onto another game. In DKCR, if you see a challenging puzzle piece, you can just hop right back in and go for it without worrying about losing your previous progression.

I do understand your point about just throwing lives away though. A lot of times I would just be recklessly plowing through a level and repeatedly dying. But I think that just comes to player focus more than anything else.

Platy

Can I sugest an Easter Egg part on the OP ?

I mean .. the game has so much nods and stuff .. would be awesome to see it in all one place !

Kard8p3

Kandinsky said:
Controls are terrible, Nintendo deserves to die for making Retro go that way, because thats clearly what happened there :/

Couldn't disagree more. I played it for the first time today and haven't had any problems at all with the motion controls. I love how people are just assuming Nintendo forced motion controls on Retro. That might be what happened but you cant say one way or another.

agrajag

Banned
Kard8p3 said:
Couldn't disagree more. I played it for the first time today and haven't had any problems at all with the motion controls. I love how people are just assuming Nintendo forced motion controls on Retro. That might be what happened but you cant say one way or another.

there are interviews that state that they're in the game because Miyamoto and someone else liked the motion controls in Jungle Beat, so they shoehorned (my words) them into DKCR.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Does anybody else have any problems with the rocket barrel levels? I mentioned this before. Randomly the rocket barrel will either just tank/nosedive as if I completely let go of the button, or other times I'll absolutely shoot straight up towards the ceiling, as if I'm holding the button down. Does this happen to anyone else? In fact, this happens sometimes when I'm just trying to run and jump, the jump will be delayed.

msdstc said:
Does anybody else have any problems with the rocket barrel levels? I mentioned this before. Randomly the rocket barrel will either just tank/nosedive as if I completely let go of the button, or other times I'll absolutely shoot straight up towards the ceiling, as if I'm holding the button down. Does this happen to anyone else? In fact, this happens sometimes when I'm just trying to run and jump, the jump will be delayed.

This is obviously a hardware issue. First, check your battery levels on the wiimote, then check for any possible interference. If its neither of those you have a faulty wiimote.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gram Negative Cocci said:
This is obviously a hardware issue. First, check your battery levels on the wiimote, then check for any possible interference. If its neither of those you have a faulty wiimote.

I tried 3 remotes now.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
agrajag said:
never had an issue with rocket barrels

Ughh that's dissapointing :(. I really hated those levels due to this problem I have. I can survive these situations when they happen in the wide open, but when it just absolutely nose dives as if I didn't touch anything there's no way to survive that.

agrajag

Banned
Hate to say it, but it really might be your controller. I can't even imagine how frustrating that bat level could be with those additional issues...

fireside

Trurl said:

No no no no no no no no no no.

If anything they should have gotten rid of lives entirely.

That King of Kong tribute is pure awesome, love it.

Anyways, count me in as another person who has given up on the time trials. I've had the game for a week and a half and I still can't get gold on 1-1! I don't care anymore, I'm just glad that I don't have to ace them in order to unlock the K levels because that's the only way I'd care to put myself through that much pain. Seriously, DKCR time trials = Retro's new spider/boost gaurdian benchmark of difficulty. But ya gotta respect their dedication to not holding back on challenge for all skill ranges.

Also got to play co-op with a friend last night. Playing as Diddy is a blast, such a shame he can't be used in single player.

edit: I'll also say this, I had no problem with shake to roll until the time trials. For those using the classic controller/gecko codes, does being able to button roll make time trial attempts somewhat better? Anyways, no more gripes, so far this is one of the best platformers I've ever played.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
agrajag said:
Hate to say it, but it really might be your controller. I can't even imagine how frustrating that bat level could be with those additional issues...

It would be great if it was my controller, but 3 of them?! I worried it might be my wii. By the way that bat level was unbelievably horrendous with this issue. There were others that were more difficult if I remember though. I'm working my way through getting 100% now, and I'm almost done, I'm sure I'll run into another incrediblly difficult rocket barrell level.

boiled goose

good with gravy
agrajag said:
there are interviews that state that they're in the game because Miyamoto and someone else liked the motion controls in Jungle Beat, so they shoehorned (my words) them into DKCR.

retro could have still included an CC option. options are never a bad thing, even if they are inferior. (not in this case)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Gram Negative Cocci said:
If you went through 3 controllers, my guess is that there is some wireless signal interfering with your Wiimote signal.

That's what I'm guessing. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

DanteFox

this game is amazing so far. Beat world 1 yesterday. A couple questions:

-do you get anything for getting all the gold medals or the shiny golds? I mean time trial's fun but I don't wanna stress about the shiny golds, especially since you basically can't mess up at all in order to get them.
-is there a point to the part of the first boss where you
get the opportunity to go for multiple hits?

Top Bottom