• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

donkey kong country (snes) is not just mediocre, it's downright awful

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I "hate" that game because it was my most anticipated game of all time maybe and Rare was way too ambitious for their own good and much of the ingenuity was either borked or unplayable.

Plus, the story was stupid.
Agreed about the game being borked. They had so many amazing ideas and great ambition for the game, but the N64 just wasnt ready for it. I know my perception of the game at the time was skewed because I was just getting heavy into PC FPS at the time and was spoiled by mouse and keyboard and 60fps gameplay.

But playing Perfect Dark now it is damn fun when you can actually control it easily and have a solid framerate. The story is still stupid, but it is damn fun on the XBLA version.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you ever feel though that some look and search for negatives instead of being truly bothered by them while experiencing the game???

It seems a hindsight reaction for the sole purpose of discussion and at times(not pointing at anyone) to go against the grain of a beloved hyped title.

Nothing wrong with critical assessments but sometimes it can border on obsessive compulsive break downs of finding inadequacies.

I guess without that attention to picking apart games, this place wouldn't be as amusing though.

I guess I think analyzing is fine and justified but not overanalyzation or at least at times it doesn't see natural.

This is all general, not throwing stones at the thread creator.

Well I mean, when developing games, most developers don't think of delivering these intrinsic soul touching experiences players sometimes have with them. They think about making the game.(not a universal truth, but I think it fits with donkey kong)

and that's what I think threads like these try to explore. Examining the final product and try and see what the developers were thinking when making the game.

As a result the end user perception is really irrelevant in discussions like this.(at least on an emotional level) No one is trying to say you can't enjoy the game, that it's factually bad, or that the game shouldn't make you feel the way it does. It's just discussing the decisions made in development by its creators based on the end result.

How that influences your perception of the game is based entirely on your values as a gamer.

RSB

Banned
DKC is just fine (definitely not a bad game) DKC2, on the other hand, is amazing; easily one of the best platformers of all time (incredible OST too)

Stumpokapow said:
Agreed. Too bad some people are too jaded to admit there's more beyond the pure analytical approach. Anyway, I doubt you can get anywhere discussing that with the kind of people that bitches about everything (in a super professional analytic style, of course) while trying to make it clear that everyone who doesn't agree is dumb (the Enslaved thread was totally trolled by one of those) Good post, though.

SlipperySlope said:
I may be a lone duck here, but I was never that enthralled with the Galaxy games. I keep hearing about how they're so amazing, etc, but it just never really clicked with me. Better than Sunshine, sure, but not Mario 64.

For 3D Mario's, my ranking is:
Mario 64 > SMG 2 > SMG 1 > Sunshine.

All four pale in comparison to the best 2D Mario platformers.
A lot people thinks that way (me included) So don't worry, you are not alone.

Bye ;)

SlipperySlope said:
You guys hate RC Pro Am?

The Wizards and Warriors games?

Perfect Dark?

Snake Rattle 'n' Roll?

I don't see how people can hate these games.

I hated Wizards and Warriors with a passion.

RC Pro Am was amazing though.

Amir0x

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Honest question Amir0x: I know that the Galaxy games are some of your favorites of all time. Can you articulate why they're so fantastic beyond "the level design is creative and tight"? I want to hear what you'd have to say on that front.

To me, Super Mario Galaxy patched a fundamental issue with the 3D platforming genre - even though a game might have great mechanics, in a platformer what you do is jump from platform to platform, and because there's generally so little variance in that for the entire game, it can easily wear out its welcome or become stale before the end. In the fundamental way gravity impacts the physics of your jumping ability, it allowed each level to have a unique set of standards even while still being united by the fluid and iconic momentum-based mechanics of all Mario games. Yes, it helped that the levels were as creative as anything we've ever seen, but the fact was that it was a core shift in the way a game of this type could be played. And in doing so, the type of ways one could abuse or utilize the physics to your advantage was something never seen before. It kept every moment consistently fresh.

And it's also a marriage of vision unlike any other. The grand scale and scheme of the Galaxy games were gorgeously realized with just the right style to take advantage of Wii's inferior technology, and was highlighted by the incredibly bombastic musical score. Every puzzle piece was fitted together, no one part taking second fiddle to another. In this way, it's among the most completely polished titles in existence... all parts feel entirely in equal to the others.

Amir0x said:
To me, Super Mario Galaxy patched a fundamental issue with the 3D platforming genre - even though a game might have great mechanics, in a platformer what you do is jump from platform to platform, and because there's generally so little variance in that for the entire game, it can easily wear out its welcome or become stale before the end. In the fundamental way gravity impacts the physics of your jumping ability, it allowed each level to have a unique set of standards even while still being united by the fluid and iconic momentum-based mechanics of all Mario games. Yes, it helped that the levels were as creative as anything we've ever seen, but the fact was that it was a core shift in the way a game of this type could be played. And in doing so, the type of ways one could abuse or utilize the physics to your advantage was something never seen before. It kept every moment consistently fresh.

And it's also a marriage of vision unlike any other. The grand scale and scheme of the Galaxy games were gorgeously realized with just the right style to take advantage of Wii's inferior technology, and was highlighted by the incredibly bombastic musical score. Every puzzle piece was fitted together, no one part taking second fiddle to another. In this way, it's among the most completely polished titles in existence... all parts feel entirely in equal to the others.
And thus demonstrating the reason that the core Mario titles are always held to a higher standard than most other series (with Zelda being the exception). Nintendo knows this, and delivers with every core Mario title (with Sunshine being great but not INCREDIBLE).

But really, the Galaxy games have no right being that good. Really. And the music in them...my god the music.:D

The_Technomancer said:
Honest question Amir0x: I know that the Galaxy games are some of your favorites of all time. Can you articulate why they're so fantastic beyond "the level design is creative and tight"? I want to hear what you'd have to say on that front.

I may be a lone duck here, but I was never that enthralled with the Galaxy games. I keep hearing about how they're so amazing, etc, but it just never really clicked with me. Better than Sunshine, sure, but not Mario 64.

andymcc

Banned
The fundamental issue I have always had with the Donkey Kong Country series is the dissimilarity between and the original Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong GB are way better than any game in the DKC franchise.

SlipperySlope said:

2D platformers are timeless and they started that way so besides the wow factor and presentation of many of them, I think 3D platformers will never be as epic in design.

I mean, if I had the choice between keeping only the Galaxies and New Super Mario Brothers Wii, it'd be tough as while I thought the Galaxies were more exciting, I still to this day can't say definitively that they are the better games.

andymcc said:
The fundamental issue I have always had with the Donkey Kong Country series is the dissimilarity between and the original Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong GB are way better than any game in the DKC franchise.
The Country games are a spin off in my mind. Think of it as the difference between the 2D marios and 3D marios. The GB DK game is just all kinds of awesome, with the Mario vs. DK series taking up the mantle of those.

apana

SlipperySlope said:

Have you read my "Future of 3D Mario" thread? Actually that is where a lot of this discussion should be taking place.:lol

apana said:
Have you read my "Future of 3D Mario" thread? Actually that is where a lot of this discussion should be taking place.:lol

All threads go off into tangents here, you should know that.

Metroid threads lead to Zelda timeline discussions, etc...

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

But they all come back to the same thing: Nintendo breeds passionate (and sometimes completely insane) discussion.

flak57

I hope you don't mind a VERY in depth analysis here, brace yourself

jarosh said:
i'm quoting these two posts but i'm really addressing everyone who has made similar statements about my comments regarding "arbitrary enemy placement". plus i also elaborate on the artificial and inorganic feel of the level design as a result of both the seemingly interchangable dummy enemies and their use and abuse as both static or moving obstacles with ever-changing movement paths and speeds:

first off: how is a bee different from a bouncing kremling and how is a bouncing kremling different from a spikey wheel? they all can and in fact DO at some point move along the same half circle path. the kremling can be killed. but that's about it. they are interchangable. many enemies have no designated use. they are not instantly recognizable as performing a certain function, behaving in a specific way. yes, there are enemies with ever so slightly unique gimmicks, but look at a level like bouncy bonanza:

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/DonkeyKongCountry-MonkeyMines-BouncyBonanza.png

it's 99% bees and blue kremlings. and the bees might as well be spikey wheels. because, why not:
I've gotta tear your first point apart here. In a previous post I listed a few examples showing that the enemies require different reactions from the player, but I'll just address the ones you have mentioned here.

First, bouncing kremlings are different because, as you stated, they can be killed by jumping on or rolling into. This is a pretty damn significant difference. This would be like calling SMW out for the spiked beetles being the same as the normal beetles because they move in the same pattern during certain portions of the game. Also, the kremlings are silent, where as the bees buzz to announce their presence. Of course this reduced time to react is balanced by a simple press of the b button to roll into the kremlings, testing your reflexes in an entirely different way.

The bees come in different varieties. If you will look at the level you linked to, you will notice barrels before coming to an area with bees. Yellow bees can be killed by barrels, My memory is hazy here, but another kind of bee can only be killed with TNT barrels. The levels accommodate this.

Not only are spiked wheels invincible, but they also are bigger, making it more difficult to maneuver around them. In addition, notice that in Manic Mincers you spend a large portion of the level riding on Rambi. Rambi can kill/bounce upon bees, where, again, the spiked tires are invincible (and can't be bounced on) making the level entirely different.

jarosh said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj_nrsBYHaQ

^ that's manic mincers. i hated that level. not because it's hard, but because many of the things i dislike about dkc come together here. spikey wheels, because, uh, why not. they don't have any unique properties. and that wouldn't be a bad thing if they were just one of many obstacles and if they didn't overstay their welcome so much. it's a WHOLE LEVEL based around these spikey wheels moving around in increasingly nonsensical patterns. not different kinds of obstacles, hazards or enemies performing different functions, behaving in different ways, just spikey wheels and more spikey wheels. but that's what dkc does, right? it has "one gimmick per level"? but the "gimmick" isn't even INTERESTING. it's just ONE obstacle blown up to an entire level. and just like the barrels or the bees it overstays its welcome tremendously. it's incredibly repetitive and boring. and the constantly changing speeds and paths of the spikey wheels and the bees just serve to destroy the illusion of a coherent world and don't actually solve the problem of repetition since they make enemies and obstacles less recognizable because they become so interchangable.
I think this complaint is ridiculous. The spiked tires are in different formations throughout the level (progressively more difficult), requiring you to jump/move/react in different ways for each one. The environment around the tires goes hand and hand with this, with moving platforms over bottomless pits/bouncing tires/enemies. There is certainly no sameness, but more of it as you are saying. The platforming skills that must be utilized are entirely different.

jarosh said:
and i heavily object to the notion that "almost all level design in 8- or 16-bit platforming is arbitrary" and that my complaints are so specific or nitpicky that they apply to "almost every platformer".

this:

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/DonkeyKongCountry-MonkeyMines-Winky'sWalkway.png

is just not an interesting level in ANY way.
Winky's walkway is the shortest and most uninspired level in the game, and is in no way representative of the game as a whole. However, you have stated that you like the idea of introducing new gameplay mechanics in nonthreatening circumstances, and that is exactly what this level does, providing you with an opportunity to try riding Winky before the more difficult levels that he is featured in later. More on this complaint to follow.

jarosh said:
and you know why i think the level design is arbitrary in a stage like this:

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/DonkeyKongCountry-MonkeyMines-MillstoneMayhem.png

because from start to finish it's the same shit with slightly different slopes and rises. no, other 2d platformers don't (always) have highly sophisticated reasons for minor level geometry, but they don't throw 6 slightly different versions of the same terrain at you over the course of a level, thereby making you question the validity or appeal of each of them, because AGAIN, just like some of the enemies/obstacles, they eventually appear interchangable.
I'll break this one down (VERY precisely). I'll also take this as an opportunity to contradict one of your other complaints about the game (in anecdotal fashion). In the beginning of the level, you are introduced to the strong type kremlings for the first time in the game, which can only be defeated by jumping on them with DK (Diddy no go) or using TNT barrels (which are placed there obviously to indicate that). Rare is guiding you towards a new gameplay mechanic in a nonthreating way again here, which has been one of your complaints. This is highlighted even more by the DK barrel directly after these enemies to heal you if you lost a Kong. Then, you are presented with a solitary beaver inside its wheel, moving up and down slowly, again, presenting you with something new in easily avoidable fashion, which will be expanded upon later in the level.

Now for the level break down (expect your head to hurt)

The next wheel that is moving up and down may appear to be the same as the previous, only with a slight slope under it and one kremling before it, but notice the tire that can be popped out of the ground. Now you are attempting to push this tire past the kremling, down and up the small slope (the slope's existence is obviously there only to be an obstacle for this). At the next wheel there is a barrel above it that the tire is supposed to be used to get to.

Now the next wheel is different in that there is an enemy that cannot be killed by rolling into (the same that you were introduced to earlier), and due to the location of the wheel above would be difficult to jump on (only with DK if you could), so you must pick up thw TNT barrel and escape the wheel above it in order to use on this enemy. Clearly a different challenge then the other wheels.

Now notice the other enemy right behind him, walking in the same direction at the same speed, entirely identical and arbitrary, right? No, this is an obstacle designed to make it difficult to get through with the TNT barrel you picked up earlier, avoiding it blowing up on the enemies in order to use at the next "arbitrary" beaver wheel, which is concealing (or hinting) a secret area to be opened by this TNT.

Not far later in the level is another round of tire maneuvering, this time allowing you to get Winky, which changes the dynamic of the level entirely, something that can't be shown on your map. Even if you don't get him, tires are introduced to jump over the wheels, there are now vutures throwing nuts that you must jump over or run under, followed by wheels that are moving MUCH faster (again, not shown in a still image of the map), and all having a different secondary obstacle, like snakes below them that if jumped on will result in the wheel hitting you, so you must have the state of mind to roll into them. The last wheel is over a bottomless pit for the first time in the level.

So to sum up this portion, the level is presenting different challenges to you throughout, and actually even accommodates beating it in different ways, with Winky or without, with some clever secrets to boot.

jarosh said:
i'm gonna pick one of the more unpopular entries in the mario franchise (from one generation earlier!) to highlight what i'm talking about:

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/SuperMarioBros2-World1-Area1.png

the first area in super mario bros 2 usa (or doki doki panic if you want), a game with excellent level design, if you ask me. sure, most of the individual obstacles don't have a specific reason to be EXACTLY where they are and the distances between them and their respective size are not based on scientific measurements, but they are placed with a specific function in mind, once, and then the level continues organically.

you fall from the sky, jump down some hills, enter a door, encounter some enemies, then climb up a vine, jump down, cross a bridge, jump over two falling logs, down the hills, through the door into the underground, then it's up again, out of the underground and the whole next part is vertical, first you jump from one hill to the next, then you climb up the vines, jump onto the clouds until you get to the boss.

in millstone mayhem on the other hand the terrain basically stays the same throughout the level. you avoid or defeat a bunch of enemies and then you try to get past the millstone beaver floating and moving in mid-air (why? how?), rinse, repeat.
So, as i showed above, everything in Millstone Mayhem was logically thought out, and provided different challenges to the player. Feel free to post another level and I will break it down for you, because I feel that this series was incredible in this regard.

jarosh said:
and no, there is nothing as inherently illogical in all of mario 2 usa as beavers in millstones or spikey wheels magically floating and moving in mid-air along really artificial looking paths. of course i don't have a problem with spikey wheels or beavers in millstones in general. but their use IS arbitrary and not logically consistent with the game world. yes, this is a real complaint. it's part of why the level design feels inorganic. flying and floating enemies in mario games, mega man games, castlevania games etc., even their 8-bit iterations usually have logical reasons for their behavior and abilities, they were designed with them in mind. no, there are no flying turtles, but one of the first 2d platformers in existence, many years before dkc, even bothered to at least give the flying turtles WINGS to explain their behavior and to distinguish them from the regular turtles. and flying enemies and obstacles in mega man games have propellers, jets, wings etc. again, dkc's world might be organic, the backdrops and the tiles might look organic and coherent, but the enemies and obstacles, their use and placement within that world is not.
Nearly your entire time playing Mario will be spent seeing coins magically floating in the air with no wings. Or in Mario Bros 2's case, cherries.

Or flying ice cubes that you can jump on.

I doubt you could name a platformer that doesn't feature things floating that shouldn't be.

jarosh said:
and let me lastly reply to some of the repeated mentions of mega man. while the classic mega man games might be occasionally vicious in design and appear unfair on the surface, they usually aren't. i'm addressing the specific complaint about my supposed hypocrisy: my enjoyment of mega man games and my criticism of rare's design philosophy and its failure to introduce gimmicks in a non-threatening manner. while mega man games often toy with the expectations of the player, teaching them that they might not always be safe from harm, even though it might look like it at first glance, they do NOT introduce instant kill hazards without teaching the player about them first:

magnet man's stage in mm3:
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/MegaManIII-MagnetMan.png

as you can see, you first learn about the magnets in a safe environment. they pull you in, but you're in no danger of dying or getting hurt. a few rooms later you encounter the first disappearing blocks. failure here doesn't result in death: there's no pit. you simply fall to the ground and try again. next up are disappearing blocks in combination with a magnet. aha, the player now realizes how dangerous this combination is and learns to navigate the blocks with a magnet nearby. but again: there is no pit. finally there are disappearing blocks, a magnet and a small pit, then the same setup with a bigger pit. NOW the situation is dangerous. but, baby steps, as you can see. if you die at that point - and you will - you have only yourself to blame. the game makes sure of that.

so, maybe mega man has smarter level designers than you thought and it isn't just unfair and punishingly hard.
Please provide one example of introducing a new concept in an overtly difficult manner.

jarosh said:
one vertical pirate ship level in dkc 2: when you fall you have to react fast and catch one of the planks to stop your fall. but the collision detection is still so imprecise that i would sometimes fall through the edge of the planks. then there's several instances in cave levels where you have to make jumps across wide gaps and i'd sometimes clip through the floor when it looked like i should have actually landed on it.
The collision doesn't change, however, so it seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to adapt, getting a feel for the characters and environment. From reading this thread though, it seems like many weren't able to adapt as easily as others. Respectable complaint.

As for this vertical drop you mention, any place in a DKC game that features a drop where you can't see below, there is a trail of bananas leading to where you should aim. This is often used in Mario games with coins. I might be forgetting the instance you're referring to, was it in Slime Climb?

As for jumping gaps, have you tried cartwheeling/rolling off edges before you jump? As I said before, it entirely eliminates any semblance of leaps of faith from the game, as you can actually roll outwards, and even jump back to the previous platform from thin air if need be. In addition, Dixie can glide of course.

Really, that is some good advice for you there. If you are having trouble getting a feel for where platforms end/begin in precision, ALWAYS hit the roll button, even if you don't roll very far before jumping. I never make a jump without it.

apana

TheGreatMightyPoo said:

Yeah I wasnt being too serious, hence the :lol .

Amir0x

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The most hated yet loved company of all time.

Because I love them so much, they're also the most infuriating when they go on some directional tangent that leads them to make so much I don't like.

And yet, if you look at my top 25 games of all times, at least 60% of the games are Nintendo games!

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
The most hated yet loved company of all time.
I think it depends on when you experience their first party stuff for the first time. I started gaming on an Atari 2600, but Nintendo will always be the first TRUE love I had with gaming, and it continues to this day. I will play nearly anything out there, but Nintendo is the one constant I can always count on. Especially Mario and Zelda, with Mario edging out the Zelda series for me, but just barely.

IrishNinja

i made it to page 5 of this thread, and it's been too many years since playing DKC to really comment (i think OP's got a point about some haphazard level design, though much of the game's strength, for me was a) the OST and b) graphics showing people they didn't need to play Trevor McFur in Cresent fucking Galaxy just yet), but the real crime here is learning of Segater's exodus; id just assumed we were running in different threads...valued the dude's opinion even when we disagreed (shenmue, many other titles), sad to see his absence.

anyone seen Gravijah or Boney? miss those dudes, too. at least EmCee's here.

PhoncipleBone said:
I think it depends on when you experience their first party stuff for the first time. I started gaming on an Atari 2600, but Nintendo will always be the first TRUE love I had with gaming, and it continues to this day.

I think a lot of people are this way(if old enough).

Atari started my gaming experience for me but Nintendo took it to a level that made it not just amusement but kind of part of my life.

Jazzem

Not much to add, but I agree with everything that flak said, good show :D

EvilMario said:
The Donkey Kong Land games (even the first) are still very good, and I feel they live up to the test of time at least as well as DKC2.

Woot, DKL appreciation! Donkey Kong Land 2 was a precious game to me growing up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amir0x said:
Because it moves me says nothing. It doesn't inform me or educate me on the why and the how. The same goes for all the rest of your explanations. Trying to gloss over the why in an attempt to play to emotions does about as much good in a discussion about what went right and what went wrong as simply throwing your hands up and bending on knee in reverence to some empty God.

I have no idea why you continually refer to religion when talking about this. There are other non-rational modes of thought and discourse besides faith. There is a distinction between the personal/internalized and faith. Again, we have a limbic system. We have emotional reactions. Many of them are non-rational. This does not mean they are religious. Someone can make a personal, subjective comment; even one that they hope other people understand and share; and that's not religious. Unless there's some religious poster in this thread and you're trying to get their goat, I don't understand the point of the criticism.

It's also weird because I've heard you criticize "aspie" or "aspergers" posters before... many times, actually, but pretty much the bedrock of aspergers symptoms is hyper-rationality and an inability to detect, accept, or process things on levels other than the rational.

I'm obviously not suggesting that you are like that, but the reason why we consider that to be an affect or disorder is because it's important for normal discussion and interaction that people be able to and willing to tolerate non-rational statements and not have to subject everything to a rational test. :p

I don't want people's inner emotions about how playing something as a child made them have magical nostalgia powers.

"It made me feel like a kid again"
"God, what an overload of nostalgia"

"This work, by virtue of its simplistic composition, evokes genre tropes in visual design and gameplay mechanics dating back to twenty years ago and so has the impact of reminding gamers about the origins of the medium, early experimentation, and in the case of long term players, it may cause them to mentally return to their youth"

The latter explanation provides literally no information that a critical eye couldn't extract from the two former, and it is considerably less terse. Attempting to couch what is fundamentally an emotional response in a cloud of objectivity serves only to obfuscate the point of "art" (and I use art in the broader sense, not to mean "high art").

This isn't just video games, either. Why is something funny? "Hilarious and well-timed physical comedy", "Total geek humour", "A cringe-fest that will have you laughing while you shred your stomach". In all three cases, there's an objective-rational descriptor attached to an emotional-limbic response.

We don't need to go further and point out that cringe humour is funny because it exposes a deep inner discomfort* by juxtaposing characters who we feel empathy* for with situations that evoke shame*, anger*, frustration*, isolation*, and other negative responses. We don't need to say that it plays to our emotional need to follow micro-narrative threads to their logical conclusion, even if the journey to get there causes us often palpable physical discomfort*.

* needs to be defined in subsequent paragraphs because it's insufficiently objective.

Why did I like the printer scene in Office Space? Well, frankly, it's awesome because I've always wanted to do that.

The demand for hyper-rationality might say that a better review would be "The printer scene in Office Space represents a successful execution of its concept because the western world is structured such that many workers are emotionally detached from their job, as per Marx's concept of alienation. Many workers are forced to interact with technology that often functions suboptimally and unlike workers who function suboptimally, tension with technology is often difficult to resolve through word or action. As a result, many workers do not achieve catharsis. This reflects the main theme of the movie, catharsis. Catharsis is emotionally significant because human beings, rather than responding to tension or frustration immediately, often let it accumulate over a longer stretch of time. Thus, a major release of frustration often causes an unusual physical and emotional sensation as the accumulation of years of emotion is undone in mere seconds. By beating the unholy fuck out of the stupid piece of shit printer, Michael Bolton achieves a catharsis that is vicariously experienced by many audience members who possess similar employment backgrounds as he and Samir. The scene further achieves this objective by contrasting the white collar, middle class appearance and backgrounds of the characters and the use of gangsta rap, a form of music commonly associated with the more animalistic or primal anger of the working class."

I'll take the first, thanks. The second is overly wordy, says nothing that the first doesn't to someone with even a slight experience with western culture or a slight ability to be introspective, and attempts to build an unnecessary

I want to know why something is bad, and why something is good. If you can't provide me with that in these types of discussions, then it's a post I can skip.

Posts like "this is awesome becoz it rules" are stupid. Sure. There are many stupid posts on GAF and everywhere else on the internet. There are lots of awful game reviews. But my beef isn't with you calling people stupid for being stupid, it's with you carving off a wide swath of behaviour and calling that stupid without regard for the fact that the behaviour in question is normal, common, an essential part of criticism, done by every critic, etc.

There are games that are charming. There are games that are moving. There are games that are, by calculation and by result, good at making manifest latent nostalgia in gamers. No one should feel that their ability to express themselves is somehow compromised because these are the terms they choose to use.

GoDLiKe

PhoncipleBone said:
Time is the great equalizer. It shows just how great or terrible something truly is. But then there are those that will say "but I felt that way from the start!"

Just remember when Battle Arena Toshinden came out. It got great reviews nearly everywhere and was wildly popular. Now look at it. Just horrifying. Time showed us that it was a terrible game, yet I had fun with it at the time. It is just nothing I would ever want to play now.

Now going back to things like Super Mario Bros. Time has been VERY kind to it.
I almost agree with you, but not with the first sentence.

There are some games that were amazing due to what we had available during that time, specially for 3D games (which is not the case of DKC). Look at Sonic Adventure, for example. I was amazed when I first saw the whale scene. Now, I can barely play this game again, just because the tech evolved, the concept evolved, and so on. Of course if you review this game today it will be mediocre, although I love the level design for almost all stages.

I think it's almost the same case for DKC: it was awesome back in time, it's just not too much today cause we already played better games.

GoDLiKe said:
I almost agree with you, but not with the first sentence.

There are some games that were amazing due to what we had available during that time, specially for 3D games (which is not the case of DKC). Look at Sonic Adventure, for example. I was amazed when I first saw the whale scene. Now, I can barely play this game again, just because the tech evolved, the concept evolved, and so on. Of course if you review this game today it will be mediocre, although I love the level design for almost all stages.

I think it's almost the same case for DKC: it was awesome back in time, it's just not too much today cause we already played better games.
Graphics are of no consequence if the gameplay and the whole package coming together elevates it. Super Mario 64 looks archaic by today's standards, but it still plays like a beast. I still love Sonic Adventure too. It may not look as amazing as it did when it first released, but the whale scene is still cool. But that is just me.

Amir0x

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
There are games that are charming. There are games that are moving. There are games that are, by calculation and by result, good at making manifest latent nostalgia in gamers. No one should feel that their ability to express themselves is somehow compromised because these are the terms they choose to use.

No, you can choose to express yourself however you like. And I won't take those perspectives seriously. That's what it comes down to. I've read your posts, but it's still the exact same basic point. It's not that people don't have emotional responses to things, it's that it is not something that has any place to me in a critical discussion of what is right and what is wrong. And no matter how much you loved a game, in every scenario, as a rational adult you should be able to explain why.

If you can't, again, if the basic result is you making sweeping poetic statements about how much "magic" or "soul" something has, I don't want to hear your opinion. You're not adding anything that is relevant to what actually made something have that "magic" or that "soul", since they are intangibles in a world where, ayup, everything can be explained in some way.

I can equally respect your preference to which you'd rather read, so you'll have to respect my preference to which I'd rather read.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure how saying "It moved me" is less optimal than saying "The script caused me to be introspective about my own experiences and so caused me to feel a strong sense of emotion". The two are the same point, the first is more concise....

Stumpokapow said:
I have no idea why you continually refer to religion when talking about this....

I'd like to go out of the way by saying you really are, in my opinion, the best mod on this site. I love how you so easily type things that many would like to say but can't find the words.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i can't say much about the "country" games, i never really played them much, but i loved the "land" games on the gameboy.

RSB

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Interesting and rational stuff.
As I said, I agree. But it's no use man, you just can't try to discuss with some people. Great posts anyway (and it's great to see someone who doesn't believe he's in possession of the absolute truth)

EDIT: Man, I don't know why you even try. It's impossible to argue with someone who thinks that his opinion (or the way he expresses himself) is the only valid one, looking down upon anyone who disagrees, or thinks differently (seriously, check the Enslaved thread for a good example) Let him him bitch and complain all day (that's the only thing he seems to like, anyway)

Bye ;)

flak57

Scrow said:
i can't say much about the "country" games, i never really played them much, but i loved the "land" games on the gameboy.
Great original music in Donkey Kong Land 1. Although dying automatically from hitting a Zinger in the air even with two Kongs sucked. I thought gathering KONG letters in order to save was a fun idea.
But certain portions of the music cutting out during sound effects was annoying as fuck!

RSB said:
As I said, I agree. But it's no use man, you just can't try to discuss with some people. Great posts anyway (and it's great to see someone who doesn't believe he's in possession of the absolute truth)
Agreed. Stump's stuff is usually very grounded and well thought out, which is why I always enjoy his posts.

IrishNinja

Flying_Phoenix said:
I'd like to go out of the way by saying you really are, in my opinion, the best mod on this site. I love how you so easily type things that many would like to say but can't find the words.

wish there was a way to agree/have said this without brown-nosing, but there it is. for what it's worth, ive bookmarked OT threads/posts where stumps was on about logic. between this and his ongoing "NES achievements" project, i want to mail him a beer.

on topic: forgive me if this has been brought up (can't see how it hasn't at this point) but have we talked about what % of DKC's signficance was its timing? again, late '94, sega and many others were trying to be ahead of the curve with disc/digital imaging in games, and being 15, i tried the kool aid via Prize Fighter, Night Trap, etc like others here, but then DKR shows up and squeezes even more juice out of the fantastic SNES (graphics and audio presentation were amazing) which, at least for me, quietly helped put a nail in this coffin until the PSX showed up and started a real effort (id say about 1996, ymmv). it's hard to discuss this game and not take this into account.

I really don't think that using emotional response to explain why you like something is the problem, it's using your emotional response as a rebuttal for legitimate, factually-based criticism. In general I'd rather people at the very least specify which aspect of something they're referring to when they use terms like charming or moving though, as I think that it opens up more avenues for discussion.

On topic, DKC is one of the many games which I loved when it came out but just isn't interesting to me now. However it's less that my tastes have changed and more that the way that I play games is different. I played most SNES and Megadrive games with my mate, passing the controller back and forth, so playing them solo doesn't really have any appeal. Adventure games are the same, since I grew up playing them with my older brother, one person driving and the other advising.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amir0x said:
No, you can choose to express yourself however you like. And I won't take those perspectives seriously. That's what it comes down to. I've read your posts, but it's still the exact same basic point. It's not that people don't have emotional responses to things, it's that it is not something that has any place to me in a critical discussion of what is right and what is wrong. And no matter how much you loved a game, in every scenario, as a rational adult you should be able to explain why.

If you can't, again, if the basic result is you making sweeping poetic statements about how much "magic" or "soul" something has, I don't want to hear your opinion. You're not adding anything that is relevant to what actually made something have that "magic" or that "soul", since they are intangibles in a world where, ayup, everything can be explained in some way.

You say you are reading my posts, but despite the fact that I've mentioned numerous examples of where emotional language is adequate or superior to hyper-rational analysis, you just reply to a one-sentence version of my point with "Nope, rational language will always be superior."

I will assume that I have been too wordy. Give me three paragraphs, starting here, and ignore everything I've said before now:

In one sentence, you point is that you cede that people have emotional responses to things, but that those responses have no place in criticism and so criticism of art exists only through rational-technical analysis. What you fail to understand is that the reason why art can be said to be relatively universal (or universal across a group or culture) is not that it can be understood on technical merits alone.

It's that it is understood on emotional merits that are shared amongst many people. We share a common history. We share common life experiences. We share common work experiences. We have read many of the same books. We have watched many of the same movies. We have played many of the same games. You don't need to bury your emotional response, you simply need to situate it in a cultural millieu. People who are also in that millieu, or are familiar with it, are able to internalize otherwise subjective statements made by others because they have shared values. We review by comparison anyway; "this level design is tight" or "the level variety is amazing" or "the pacing is excellent" or "the music in this level has a Caribbean vibe" is not an eminently rational statements, it's a pseudo-rational statement that can be interpreted by others who share common background with you and so are able to identify your meaning.

Satements that lie further to the emotional side of the continuum are certainly not going to be absolutely universal, and so two people might fully understand each other and yet disagree on them. What you find charming might not be what I find charming--or what you find sexy might not be what I find sexy. But this does not mean that the statements are worthless, because while we may not exactly agree, it is the case that many people will agree, and those who disagree will likely still have an appreciation for the emotional reference point from which the poster expresses himself. Just because two posters disagree does not mean that they each need to view themselves as "right" and the other "wrong". The purpose of critical analysis is not to achieve an absolute consensus by reducing everything to a universally agreeable technical checklist, the point is to foster debate, compare works within a medium and a culture and without, expose the diversity of human reaction to art, develop and define the boundaries of a medium, and many other things.

I can equally respect your preference to which you'd rather read, so you'll have to respect my preference to which I'd rather read.

If "respect" means "do not state objections to", then you are not respecting... well... anything you disagree with, because I've never known you to disagree with anything and not voice your objections strenuously to it. If respect means "treat with a degree of intellectual gravity", then clearly I am respecting you since I am using my time to repeatedly articulate my disagreement with your perspective.

loosus

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah you should watch yourself, you don't need me to tell you you're on thin ice.
Don't be butthurt. You got caught up in another useless discussion. No reason to get mad when someone points out the obvious.

Of all the things I thought I would see on this forum, a MOD fight is not one of them. It does make great reading though, and it is not surprising that it is a Nintendo thread that did it, as these are usually the most heated. Although, this thread has been pretty tame for a few pages, and a good chunk of the discussion as been good even when getting off on tangents.

Amir0x

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
You say you are reading my posts, but despite the fact that I've mentioned numerous examples of where emotional language is adequate or superior to hyper-rational analysis, you just reply to a one-sentence version of my point with "Nope, rational language will always be superior."

I will assume that I have been too wordy. Give me three paragraphs, starting here, and ignore everything I've said before now:

In one sentence, you point is that you cede that people have emotional responses to things, but that those responses have no place in criticism and so criticism of art exists only through rational-technical analysis. What you fail to understand is that the reason why art can be said to be relatively universal (or universal across a group or culture) is not that it can be understood on technical merits alone.

It's that it is understood on emotional merits that are shared amongst many people. We share a common history. We share common life experiences. We share common work experiences. We have read many of the same books. We have watched many of the same movies. We have played many of the same games. You don't need to bury your emotional response, you simply need to situate it in a cultural millieu. People who are also in that millieu, or are familiar with it, are able to internalize otherwise subjective statements made by others because they have shared values. We review by comparison anyway; "this level design is tight" or "the level variety is amazing" or "the pacing is excellent" or "the music in this level has a Caribbean vibe" is not an eminently rational statements, it's a pseudo-rational statement that can be interpreted by others who share common background with you and so are able to identify your meaning.

Satements that lie further to the emotional side of the continuum are certainly not going to be absolutely universal, and so two people might fully understand each other and yet disagree on them. What you find charming might not be what I find charming--or what you find sexy might not be what I find sexy. But this does not mean that the statements are worthless, because while we may not exactly agree, it is the case that many people will agree, and those who disagree will likely still have an appreciation for the emotional reference point from which the poster expresses himself. Just because two posters disagree does not mean that they each need to view themselves as "right" and the other "wrong". The purpose of critical analysis is not to achieve an absolute consensus by reducing everything to a universally agreeable technical checklist, the point is to foster debate, compare works within a medium and a culture and without, expose the diversity of human reaction to art, develop and define the boundaries of a medium, and many other things.

This assumes games are art; I just think they're toys. And the toys have mechanical and functional problems/issues that can be described in detail no matter how emotional your response is. But even if it IS art, it doesn't change what's at play here. What's at play is threads where critical analysis is demanded; where your emotional circle jerking plays absolutely no role other than empty words in a discussion where absolutes are being interpreted.

Yes, I read all your posts from start to end. I don't think you were adding anything new, that changed your central point. It's again trying to suggest the side-by-side value of rational criticism and emotional reflexive commentary, because hey it's "human" and that's a "human response."

Saying something "moved you" and explaining WHY it moved you are fundamentally different actions. And I'm sorry, I want to hear one and not the other. I do not value at any level the gut reactions and vague statements of child-like joy. I love games as much as anyone, but I always know WHY I like them. I know the why of absolutely everything about what makes me like something, and I know that when I'm in a conversation with someone about that why, I don't want to hear "it's MAGICAL." That adds nothing to the discussion, ever, not once... and it never will. It informs my perspective zero.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't understand why you are decoupling emotional-limbic from rational so quickly, Ami. You can say, "This is charming," and then explain why something is or is not charming, can't you? You should always be able to explain (in a "rational" sense) why something made you feel the way you feel, right? Even if it's just nostalgia (which is not a bad thing), it is easily explainable.

Analyzing something technically often requires a very technical dissection with specialized vocabularies and structure. But, as stump's Office Space example shows, certainly this is not always necessary when people examine things from other perspectives.

I don't think, really, this leaves a ton of room for "it has heart/soul/magic," either. Of course, "itz gud cus it has magic" is worthless-- maybe only marginally MORE useful than "itz bad cuz it dont got no magic." But that doesn't mean you can't (at least I would hope not) rationalize why you feel the way you feel and still contribute something meaningful.

I'm really a little confused at the debate presently going on because I'm not sure you are on opposite sides. The only anti-rational perspective I think I saw is "the problem is when people analyze things." Yeah, that's actively irrational.

Amir0x

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Of all the things I thought I would see on this forum, a MOD fight is not one of them. It does make great reading though, and it is not surprising that it is a Nintendo thread that did it, as these are usually the most heated. Although, this thread has been pretty tame for a few pages, and a good chunk of the discussion as been good even when getting off on tangents.

It's a mod debate. It's not a "fight." Mods have different opinions about things too :lol

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Amir0x said:
It's a mod debate. It's not a "fight." Mods have different opinions about things too :lol
I'm torn between two posters who I both really respect, but I have to give the edge to Amir0x for not being satisfied when critical dislike for a game that goes over and defines what the poster perceives as gameplay flaws is countered with "but its magical and awesome". We've only had a few posters who actually countered what jarosh said on a point to point level, explaining how they thought he was wrong.
Unfortunately everything I would like to say has already been articulated much better.

Amir0x

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
I'm torn between two posters who I both really respect, but I have to give the edge to Amir0x for not being satisfied when critical dislike for a game that goes over and defines what the poster perceives as gameplay flaws is countered with "but its magical and awesome". We've only had a few posters who actually countered what jarosh said.
Unfortunately everything I would like to say has already been articulated much better.

Yes, this post is what this thread actually demanded. I mean, not every type of comment about something has to be critical or rational. But in this case, that's almost explicitly what it requires.

Anyone can say something feels magical or has a soul. What is interesting is hearing people describe why. That, I feel, is when I learn something.

I never got that whole thing about rolling/cartwheeling off a ledge and then making a jump. Sure it's cool but in my book that's a glitch, a glitch that actually makes the game better at least and it's understandable why Rare kept it going in the next two games. Still...

BTW: One of my favorite games is Drakengard. I take great joy in explaining that point of view. If enjoyment of games was always tied to the technical side I would have jumped out of this hobby over a decade ago.

Amir0x said:
"Mod fight" sounds so much more fun than "Mod debate." And for some reason I have images of Brits from the Mod scene of the 60s and 70s getting into a knife fight.:lol

koam

I'm not going to read this whole thread but I can't fathom how anyone can possible HATE DKC. Everything about the game was great: the graphics, the music, the characters and more importantly, it was fun. Now sure, I understand how what appeals to person A may not necessarily appeal to person B but to call DKC awful is outright ridiculous.

I've played the game recently so it's not nostalgia talking. The game has aged nicely.

Top Bottom