• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

donkey kong country (snes) is not just mediocre, it's downright awful

Amir0x

Banned
koam said:
I'm not going to read this whole thread but I can't fathom how anyone can possible HATE DKC. Everything about the game was great: the graphics, the music, the characters and more importantly, it was fun. Now sure, I understand how what appeals to person A may not necessarily appeal to person B but to call DKC awful is outright ridiculous.

I've played the game recently so it's not nostalgia talking. The game has aged nicely.

Well jarosh went through a whole series of complaints in his INITIAL OPENING POST so I hope you read that. Since that would have been all that was required for you to actually respond with something other than reflex.

PhoncipleBone said:
"Mod fight" sounds so much more fun than "Mod debate." And for some reason I have images of Brits from the Mod scene of the 60s and 70s getting into a knife fight.

i'd cheat because i'd bring a gun. *taps avatar*

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
koam said:
I'm not going to read this whole thread but I can't fathom how anyone can possible HATE DKC. Everything about the game was great: the graphics, the music, the characters and more importantly, it was fun. Now sure, I understand how what appeals to person A may not necessarily appeal to person B but to call DKC awful is outright ridiculous.

I've played the game recently so it's not nostalgia talking. The game has aged nicely.
Eh, playing it recently doesn't stop nostalgia from taking effect. One one level I know that Kid Chameleon was a thoroughly mediocre platformer, but that doesn't stop it from being a blast largely because of the memories attached to it.
I might have missed it in this thread, but I played DKC for the first time recently and thought that it was below average and shallow, and I haven't seen a counter from someone else who first played it very recently and thinks that its fantastic.

Amir0x said:
i'd cheat because i'd bring a gun. *taps avatar*
87972-111221-saint-of-killers_super.jpg

All in good fun. After all, the Saint killed the Devil.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amir0x said:
This assumes games are art; I just think they're toys.

You are conflating "art" with "high art" and responding to me as if I was talking about "high art". Toys also share characteristics with art in that they are basically designed to produce a response; that response is generally happiness, whether through pure visceral feedback or through the more rational pathway of causing mental investment in a challenge scenario.

Art doesn't mean paintings. Toys are not mechanical systems. A mechanical system can be evaluated solely in its ability to create output and the efficiency with which it does it. An engine is a mechanical system. An engine that accelerates and brakes faster and more smoothly, is more efficient, and delivers more power in a smaller, cooler physical package, and has a lower cost of production is a better engine. While toys, games, and art all have technical and tactile characteristics that greatly impact the user's experience with them, they are not purely mechanical. Games with bad controls are unenjoyable not because they have bad controls, but because bad controls get in the way of the tension/release dynamic, of the intellectual investment in the goal scenario, in the tactile connection of player to gameplay paradigm, etc. The failings of the bad controls hurt the player's response. The player's response is still paramount.

I'm not sure why I had to explain that art isn't just paintings and that games can't be evaluated the same way fulcrums and ballbearings can.

I do not value at any level the gut reactions and vague statements of child-like joy.

I'm not defending stupid posts, as I've repeatedly said.

First, all of your rational statements are thin efforts to couch a "gut reaction". "This game has a lot of variety in level design"--a claim you made in this thread--is a useless statement. It's not quantified and it's not intended to be. You are not mechanically analyzing the number of unique challenge-response situations per minute of gameplay. You are asserting, emotionally, that your connection to the gameplay is strengthened through the constant additional of mentally stimulating alternate and puzzling scenarios, which in turn increase your ability to feel tension (tension/release, by the way, is the actual reason why your empty statement that "Kirby is too easy" is justified as opposed to just a useless statement -- tension/release is also the absolute fundamental paradigm in classical music composition and yet games are toys, violins are art) which helps for your emotional response when that tension is relieved through intellectual application.

Second, "gut reactions" aren't really void of rational context because they inherently have the rational context of the millieu they're situated in. Games are reviewed compared to other games, to the standards those games have set, to movies, to toys, to art, to sports, to the sum whole of human experience. It's fine if you disagree that a particular thing is charming, but you'd have to be willfully blind to say that when someone says "Kirby is charming", they aren't responding to the use of bright, vibrant colours, childlike voice tones, the juxtaposition of serious reality-grounded geography in level design with the use of creative, imaginary, craft materials, etc.

If I show you a picture of Kirby's Epic Yarn and say "this is cute", it's totally fine for you to disagree with that. What makes no sense is for you to pretend not to know what values, what emotions, and what rational descriptions I'm aggregating in my head to use that descriptor. You might not pick up on the exact same things as I do, but for the purposes of discussion, you know why I'm saying it's cute even if you don't agree.

Remember the first time you kissed your fiancée? Or your first girlfriend? Or your neighbor's mom? This is a common human experience. Most people experience it. Pretending that there's a difference between saying that My Girl "made me nostalgic for my childhood" and saying that My Girl "evokes a common set of courtship-beginning emotional responses found in modern western society" is silly. Everyone watching My Girl understands that's what it's about, and "it made me nostalgic" is immediately interpretable. I'm sure there are people out there who grew up as an ugly leper in the middle of a warzone and never had that childhood experience, but thanks to their adult experiences, their knowledge of common childhood experiences even if they didn't have them, and their knowledge of other fictional works, those people are still able to understand what someone means when they say "My Girl made me nostalgic".

Why did Pretty Woman work? "It makes me happy to see the underdog succeed". It worked because the tale of a prostitute who becomes a lady immediately creates emotional parallels to earlier works like My Fair Lady / Pygmalion (it is a work situated in time and culture), evokes the life experience that many people have where they were underestimated, stereotyped, etc but rose to the occasion with the help of someone who believed in them, and so improved themselves (it is a work situated in human experience). And because there's a primal urge to mentally and physically kick the shit out of the dumb bitches who act like dumb bitches (it is a work directly connected to our limbic, animalistic origins). Is my explanation really better than my gut reaction?

I love games as much as anyone, but I always know WHY I like them. I know the why of absolutely everything about what makes me like something, and I know that when I'm in a conversation with someone about that why, I don't want to hear "it's MAGICAL." That adds nothing to the discussion, ever, not once... and it never will. It informs my perspective zero.

I'm sure there are shitty posts that say "This is magical" and leave it at that. But most don't leave it at that. They still use the adjective magical, though. The vast majority of us who read that don't immediately say "Error! Does not compute! Magical is an insufficiently descriptive term! Reject normative description!"--no, instead, we have a set of video game experiences, movie experiences, life experiences, book experiences that are attached to the adjective magical, and we are able to combine those experiences with the media we've seen from a game (or our experiences playing the game, even if we don't agree with the reviewer who says it's magical) and so form an understanding of what the reviewer meant.

If you are truly, honestly assuming good faith on the part of other posters--which you should, and you truly, honestly don't have a clue where they're coming from and you're not just playing coy--which you shouldn't unless you're trying to set up a multi-post comedy troll by playing coy, just prompt them. "I don't know why you think this is charming, do you think <x> is charming? If not, what else do you think is charming? When I think of charming, I think of childlike attributes, which I don't really see here." is a reply you could give that has about a 99% chance of getting a reply that better furthers conversation then "Charming is a meaningless adjective your argument is vacuous"

So, summary:
- "Rational" arguments require a ton of context and aren't really axiomatically rational
- Non-rational arguments are fine provided that we understand the context and causes, even if we don't agree with them
- "Gut" arguments come pre-loaded with a ton of context and aren't inherently ambiguous, and so they satisfy the requirement in point 2
- If you really lack context for an argument, prompt for context instead of dismissing it.

Jazzem

The_Technomancer said:
Eh, playing it recently doesn't stop nostalgia from taking effect. One one level I know that Kid Chameleon was a thoroughly mediocre platformer, but that doesn't stop it from being a blast largely because of the memories attached to it.
I might have missed it in this thread, but I played DKC for the first time recently and thought that it was below average and shallow, and I haven't seen a counter from someone else who first played it very recently and thinks that its fantastic.

Is it really fair to blast those who still like the game with the nostalgia card? It's not exactly unheard of to go back to something from your childhood only to realize it wasn't that great.

I've got many memories of the Rare DK games (mostly the Game Boy ones as I played the SNES ones when I was 11 in 2002ish) but today I can still enjoy them due to their amazing presentation and surprisingly clever obstacle-course design. I've been been playing DKC recently (thanks to this thread) and I'm surprised at how much of a reflex-workout it is, it's tricky due to constant efforts by the developer to outsmart the players with all sorts of clever uses of props and obstacles (the red/blue ropes that zip you up and down in the ice cave level are a good example). I always enjoy challenging and well made platformers and as such can have fun with these games with red tinted glasses off to the side.

:lol

Holy crap, I'm only on page three of this thread and I've counted no less than 20 people banned. Who knew DKC would lead so many gaffers to their tomb.

Honestly, when DKC came out I was there to buy it the week it was released, and after seeing the graphics (ugly to me from the beginning) and playing though the game sporadically I put it away in disgust. DCK actually put me off gaming for several years. I found the game so boring, the graphics so ugly, the gameplay so stale and uninspired that I thought, "if this is were gaming is going, I'm getting off."

It wouldn't be until I played Mario 64 at a Blockbuster that my gaming flame rekindled.

So there, Donkey Kong Country almost made me give up gaming for good.

jgkspsx

jarosh said:
dkc is one of the few snes games that i never really bothered to re-play until now. and i remembered it being mediocre. but, jesus christ, i must have somehow blocked out how vile, repititive, arbitrary and amateurish the level design truly was...

there is not a semblance of logic or coherence to the level and world design; the stages all seem to consist of a basic template over which obstacles and enemies are randomly placed, while the changes to the (boring) terrain remain superficial and mostly cosmetic. most of the enemies are seemingly interchangable dummies, designed, animated and rendered without potential use or location in mind:

i know this is a lot of text, so here's your tl;dr version:
donkey kong country kinda sucks
Amen, brother, hallelujah!

Why For?

Banned
Hey Jarosh, is it weird that I sort of agree with you but still adore DKC as much as life itself?

Also, wow. Just read segata's adios post and he couldn't be more right.

Okay here we go.
One thing I've noticed throughout DKC1 is that enemies love to hop. Those kremlins just fall from the sky and start making these big leaps every other second. This gets old very quickly as they're little more than a nuisance with their stale pattern and overabundance. It's like Rare has these big nearly-invincible dudes, the little krocs that can't be rolled into, and a handful of other enemies and yet the jumping guys are everywhere.

Here's another thing that really gets to me, the gold animal trophies. Get three of them and get launched to a bonus area for more 1ups. Now I've noticed more than enough of these are located in places towards the end of the stage. Problem is after the bonus area the player is dumped back to the checkpoint. Well thanks a lot, now I gotta re-do an entire section.

There's a lot of inconsistency throughout the game. One stage is Orangutan O-zone or something and it's got apes throwing barrels up and down hills. Problem is this gimmick isn't even introduced until midway through the stage(or at least after the checkpoint). I mean seriously what is the point of even building a stage around something if it can't even be introduced early on?

A handful of throwaway stages really bug me. Take that one mentioned way back in the OP by the name of Winky's walkway. What's the point of requiring an entire stage to introduce a freaking frog? He jumps high, that's all that really needs to be figured out. The frog sucks as well. Everytime he walks it looks more like he's about to jump, which just throws me off and I go running off a cliff.

And the mechanics are definitely sloppy. Jumping and bouncing off of stuff is fine for the most part but rolling/cartwheeling into things feels like a crapshoot(especially if it's those hundreds of jumping guys). It's like the hit-detection tends to favor the baddies so anything outside of jumping on them is considered a risk.

More than anything however the repetitiveness really hurts this game. There isn't even any real build-up at times. For example there's a second stage that involves beavers in wheels except they chase after the Kongs when they pass by. Unfortunately most of the time the Kongs are already way ahead so it just feels like any other stage with its tires to jump on to and vines to jump off of. Then there's the first mine-cart stage which overstays its welcome long before it really ends. All told it takes less than three minutes to complete but that's time spent doing nothing but jabbing the jump button at just the right moment.

Speaking of I've already seen enough of properly-timed barrel blasting to last me a life-time...and I haven't even reached that particular snow stage yet. This is something that got old midway through the first stage that really put it through its paces.

flak57 said:

For a second there I thought you managed to set a 5 second portion of a youtube video on loop. But yeah I've noticed the importance of cartwheeling off of edges.

Combichristoffersen said:
At least it was better than Super Mario World *shrugs*

Actually, I consider SMW several orders of magnitude better than DCK. Anywhere from graphics, sound, level variety, level design, enemy designs, power-ups, you name it. SWM was a denifite step forward in platforming games whereas DCK reverted to the most simple principles of the genre.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Rocket Punch said:
Actually, I consider SMW several orders of magnitude better than DCK. Anywhere from graphics, sound, level variety, level design, enemy designs, power-ups, you name it. SWM was a denifite step forward in platforming games whereas DCK reverted to the most simple principles of the genre.

IrishNinja said:
how so? level design, replayability, tighter controls, almost everything about SMW (sans presentation, which given the gap between the titles is almost kinda unfair), i can't see it.
legit question here; GAF has all kinds, but id not run into anyone who wasn't cool with mario world before.

I liked the graphics in SMW, but otherwise it felt like a less inspired, regressive semi-rehash of Super Mario Bros. 3 to me. Not the worst thing ever, but I never really got much joy out of it.
I was a Sega/Sonic fan anyway.

IrishNinja

how so? level design, replayability, tighter controls, almost everything about SMW (sans presentation, which given the gap between the titles is almost kinda unfair), i can't see it.
legit question here; GAF has all kinds, but id not run into anyone who wasn't cool with mario world before.

*edit: aaaand there's your reply, i should be more patient.:lol

udivision

Rocket Punch said:

SMW's graphics didn't stand out back then, especially compared to YI and even Kirby Superstar. Most people can agree that DKC had great music, so SMW doesn't necessarily trump it there either. SMW only had two power ups, a step down from SMB3, but it did have Yoshi...

I do think SMW was better overall though. The Cape was so cheap and broken but I loved it!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
IrishNinja said:
I could go on a tangent on how I feel that SMW is inferior to the 4 mainline Mario games that came before it, but I don't want to get too off-topic.

In short, though: Giving the player a ton of abilities but never forcing him to master most of them is awful game design (and common to many games of the 16-bit era). Not keen on the increased emphasis on exploration compared to the early titles either, but that's more personal preference.

(pulls out knife)

SMW is probably the most mundane of the Marios as far as presentation goes, but it is the one I have the most fun replaying. SMB3 is the one that is nearly perfect in presentation, design, and execution for me.

I would put DKC as a whole game far below SMW, but for atmosphere and music DKC is pretty damn high on the lists.

I played DKC1 sometime in the nineties. I didn't love it, but I didn't really hate it. Even though I played a bit of it, I can't say I ever got into it.

DK64 on the other hand...*pukes*. I can't believe how much time I put into that before I realized I despised it. (Hint: all the way up to the last dungeon)

...the hell.

I think this thread is a great study on what's wrong with the forum. There are WAY too many people basically losing their shit over opinions on a video game, and it's not just new posters either.

How About No said:
I played DKC1 sometime in the nineties. I didn't love it, but I didn't really hate it. Even though I played a bit of it, I can't say I ever got into it.

DK64 on the other hand...*pukes*. I can't believe how much time I put into that before I realized I despised it. (Hint: all the way up to the last dungeon)
DK64 did turn me off big time. It was just too much of a collect a thon. Which is odd because i LOVED Banko Kazooie. Perhaps it was the time between them and whatnot that made me not enjoy DK64 as much.

randomkid

Haha, Segata and Aeana may be gone, but Stump is still my personal GAF hero.

I haven't played DKC since it came out, didn't really have any strong opinions about that game one way or the other, but the comments about the levels just ending out of nowhere resonated with me. How weird that something like that would be so memorable after all these years. It was probably just design laziness, but I think I kinda like that the levels did that! I dunno, should probably sort my thoughts but I can't think of any other game with levels quietly ending without any sort of crescendo.

The one thing I despised about DKC was that you had to drop off the screen in leaps of faith to find secret barrels. Just lame unless you had a guide to tell you where to find this stuff.

PhoncipleBone said:
The one thing I despised about DKC was that you had to drop off the screen in leaps of faith to find secret barrels. Just lame unless you had a guide to tell you where to find this stuff.
There are usually hints for those things, though. A stray banana over it or, you know, a giant arrow of bananas.

ShockingAlberto said:
There are usually hints for those things, though. A stray banana over it or, you know, a giant arrow of bananas.
Sometimes. But (and it has been years since I have played the game thoroughly) there were some that were just blind leaps from what I remember.

PhoncipleBone said:
Sometimes. But (and it has been years since I have played the game thoroughly) there were some that were just blind leaps from what I remember.
Hm.

I can't dispute that because I honestly don't remember if there were.

But I do know I didn't use a guide, so I either knew where they are or it was schoolyard knowledge.

PhoncipleBone said:
DK64 did turn me off big time. It was just too much of a collect a thon. Which is odd because i LOVED Banko Kazooie. Perhaps it was the time between them and whatnot that made me not enjoy DK64 as much.

Nah DK64 went overboard with it. I still liked the game, but it didn't touch BK.

GoDLiKe

PhoncipleBone said:
Graphics are of no consequence if the gameplay and the whole package coming together elevates it. Super Mario 64 looks archaic by today's standards, but it still plays like a beast. I still love Sonic Adventure too. It may not look as amazing as it did when it first released, but the whale scene is still cool. But that is just me.
My comment was not about graphics, but everything.

udivision

Eteric Rice said:
I never could beat DKC. I got to the snowly levels and just kept dying. :(
I think you've got the wrong thread. You wanted the What should Retro do next one.

And that Link is Lame.

EDIT: Dang, you changed your post!

agrajag

Banned
the only valid complaint i see in this thread is the frog, the frog sucks. The ostrich is kind of useless too. The animal buddies in DKC2 were a huge leap forward from the first game. But if you don't feel the game's undeniable charm, i maintain that you have no soul.

Eteric Rice

udivision said:
I think you've got the wrong thread. You wanted the What should Retro do next one.

And that Link is Lame.

EDIT: Dang, you changed your post!

Your face is lame.

And yes, I changed it. Now you see it, now you don't! :p

totowhoa

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Hm.

I can't dispute that because I honestly don't remember if there were.

But I do know I didn't use a guide, so I either knew where they are or it was schoolyard knowledge.

I'm in my mid-20's, so I grew up playing this game, as did many others in this thread. I like DKC. Thanks, nostalgia. I guess that's why... but I don't care. It doesn't hold a candle to DKC2, though. Anyway...

DKC, to clarify, had some issues on TV screens in that day in my experience. It wasn't until I stowed away my SNES for a visit to a relative that I finally found a few slightly visible bonus rooms. I have to figure that had something do with the blind jumps. I may be wrong. But replaying it today, I still enjoy it and I don't experience any totally blind jumps (note: I may be wrong and I may just have other blind jumps memorized). All other flaws prevail, though. DKC was AMAZING if you played it in the day. DKC2, however, has actually held up. And I've played it on a number of televisions over the last however-many-years.

I still own DKC and I still love speed running it. It only takes an hour or two to re-live the experience. Maybe you didn't love it back in the day, and that's okay. Maybe you never had a chance to play it, and now it seems shitty to you. Eh, whatever. I love throwing it in once year, along with DKC2, and just plowing through that game and reliving the goodness.

I don't care if it's flawed by today's standards. I enjoy my rose-tinted glasses. Sure not going argue about it. At least I know I'm sporting those shades, though.

leroidys

Wallach said:
Honestly I think I hate pretty much every game Rare has ever made.

I love Diddy Kong racing and have never played blast corps, but I feel the same way unfortunately. :( I wish I could love their DK games more, but I didn't own a snes as a kid, and I don't think the games have enough of the qualities I enjoy to overcome the nostalgia deficit. I did play DK64 when it came out though... Jeez.

imthemaid

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Take that one mentioned way back in the OP by the name of Winky's walkway. What's the point of requiring an entire stage to introduce a freaking frog? He jumps high, that's all that really needs to be figured out. The frog sucks as well. Everytime he walks it looks more like he's about to jump, which just throws me off and I go running off a cliff.

i don't understand what you mean by "requiring an entire stage to introduce" a frog.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Then there's the first mine-cart stage which overstays its welcome long before it really ends. All told it takes less than three minutes to complete but that's time spent doing nothing but jabbing the jump button at just the right moment.

i can see how that mechanic could be seen as boring in its simplicity, but pressing a button at just the right moment to perform an action is probably the key principle of reflex-based games. the mine cart levels are somewhat of a distillation of that principle in that they remove the forward button press for motion, but in doing so--combined with a good sense of speed--they affect a sensation of danger and being out of control.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
For a second there I thought you managed to set a 5 second portion of a youtube video on loop. But yeah I've noticed the importance of cartwheeling off of edges.

i'm not sure what you meant by that earlier post about jumping out of a roll seeming like a glitch. was it because of inadequate animation, the physical impossibility, or something else?

DKC1 is not that great. There's hit detection problems, cheap bits, crap platforming crap animation, etc. I still like it, but it's not as good as it's cracked up to be.

DKC2 is fucking near perfect. It is part the holy trinity of SNES platforming (Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World and this). I'd say it's the Holy Ghost.

Affinity

That OP comes off as trollish. I haven't read the previous 13 pages, but trying to compare games that came out in the mid 90s is like trying to compare websites from 96 to current day sites(Remember the anigifs!)

Games back then were developed for fun and amusement. Today so much more work goes into making a game... games that make a point, spark emotions and pull you into an engaging story (Differences can also be reflected in budget). I too recently replayed DKC and DKC2... I loved them every bit the same as I did when I played them back in the day... because I realized what they were created for and knew what to expect.

imthemaid said:
i don't understand what you mean by "requiring an entire stage to introduce" a frog. - That's about all the stage has going for it. Otherwise it's completely uninspired filler that adds nothing to the game. It's a level just to have a level.

i can see how that mechanic could be seen as boring in its simplicity, but pressing a button at just the right moment to perform an action is probably the key principle of reflex-based games. the mine cart levels are somewhat of a distillation of that principle in that they remove the forward button press for motion, but in doing so--combined with a good sense of speed--they affect a sensation of danger and being out of control. - And I thought it was boring because it ran for too long. There's only so much that can be done with pits, fallen carts, and rolling carts. Besides Rare mixed things up in future mine-cart stages.

i'm not sure what you meant by that earlier post about jumping out of a roll seeming like a glitch. was it because of inadequate animation, the physical impossibility, or something else? - It just strikes me as one of those things the programmers at Rare stumbled upon because they forgot some 1s and 0s at one point and instead of fixing it they figured "hey wait we can use this...this is good". After all it's hard to ignore that the Kongs gain speed if the roll/run button is pressed down even in mid-air. It's like pulling an extra burst of momentum out of one's nether regions. Like I've said before I don't see it as a bad thing...just at one point or another it was more likely that it was unexpected.

PhoncipleBone said:

That's why they're SECRET.

Tain

this thread is sweet.

Affinity said:
That OP comes off as trollish. I haven't read the previous 13 pages, but trying to compare games that came out in the mid 90s is like trying to compare websites from 96 to current day sites(Remember the anigifs!)

Games back then were developed for fun and amusement. Today so much more work goes into making a game... games that make a point, spark emotions and pull you into an engaging story (Differences can also be reflected in budget). I too recently replayed DKC and DKC2... I loved them every bit the same as I did when I played them back in the day... because I realized what they were created for and knew what to expect.

You're criticizing jarosh for comparing old games with other old games? There has never been a better time to criticize these games. The further we get from release, the clearer things are.

The OP comes off as trollish to you simply by doing a nice, clear job of presenting a position that you disagree with. Even if he were using harsh language or attacking fans of the game or whatever right in the OP, these things still would not be even close to reason enough to dismiss his arguments. What he said is what matters, not how trollish he came off while saying it.

Also, all good games from all eras were developed for "fun and amusement". You're suggesting that DKC is unique in this regard, and that our very standards should somehow be lowered for it. This is a load of horseshit. Tons of older games were made for fun and amusement, and you know what? I don't have to lower my standards to enjoy them.

Hell, the fact that you suggest we should lower our standards because the game is made for fun rather than "making a point" is offensive enough.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
goldenenergy said:
But secrets that can only be found by trial and error without a guide = bad design.

How is that any more random than hitting a random hidden block in Mario? You could play a level one hundred times before noticing it, and all it does it give you some coins.

GoutPatrol said:
How is that any more random than hitting a random hidden block in Mario? You could play a level one hundred times before noticing it, and all it does it give you some coins.

I think the difference is that one involves throwing yourself to your death (which is counter intuitive) and the other doesn't.

[Nintex]

There's some filler levels in DKC for sure and DKC2 is obviously much better but a game with gems like Oil Drum Alley, the entire Ice world and Rope Bridge Rumble can't be called bad. Overall the game is really fun to play and offers a lot of variety. Sure it could've been better but that's what Donkey Kong Country 2 is for. I actually prefer certain Donkey Kong Country levels to parts of Mario World.

Mario World has always been 'meh' to me with the cape that didn't control well, overall it was a step back compared to SMB3. Yoshi was an awesome addition but some of the level design just wasn't as good as other Mario games. The game was clearly rushed for the SNES launch.

Top Bottom