• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze OST appreciate thread of David Wise expands dong

Verger

Banned
EDIT: Updated with higher quality links!

hqdefault.jpg

Every now and then I keep going back to this game, not only because it was well made, but because of the masterclass soundtrack by David Wise (and Kenji Yamamoto).

I mean, it's really I think one of the pinnacle "videogame" soundtracks in terms of being something that so complements the gameplay and all the themes within. Contrast that to other music compositions in gaming that, honestly feel detached from what is happening on screen (for example all the bombastic "epic" orchestras you hear in some high profile games).

And there are so many different styles within this one as well, from high-paced frantic action to somber melancholy themes, with multiple instrument styles and combinations used to great effect. What still boggles my mind is that, to my recollection, the DKC:TF Soundtrack/Sound did not receive any major awards from the game outlets the year it had released. I just couldn't figure out how such a thing could happen, and it may not have even been nominated in some areas either. :(

Here's but a taste of it:

Grassland Groove - Lion King eat your heart out
What's special about this track is its three distinct sections. The level itself also has three sections, so let's break them down: The level design goes like this - Platforming->Clinging->Platforming/Clinging. The music goes like this - Female vocals->Male vocals->Female and male vocals. Notice a pattern? In addition to how the gameplay informs the music and vise-versa, I have to throw one more nod to just how bursting with energy this track is.
Scorch N Torch - Them Phil Collins drums
The opening bass and subtle percussion weave an intoxicating web of atmosphere that's sure to ensnare unsuspecting players. The player firmly in its grasp, the track layers in synth and thundering drums before climaxing with DAT FLUTE. In painting a picture of a gorilla traversing a wildfire, Scorch 'N' Torch probably isn't what comes to mind. Players expecting a more chaotic and perilous track may be disappointed, as the tune evokes feelings closer to tragedy. After all, this savannah was somebody's home. BibleThump.
Seashore War - Wise's personal favorite song he's ever composed
conveys the simple desolation of a frozen beach - once vibrant and teeming with life - under the control of adorable viking intruders. The lead guitar and vocals invoke reflection, isolation, and a bit of sadness, with the end of the loop being a bit more uplifting. A slower tempo invites the player to take their time and observe the wasteland firsthand. Dripping with atmosphere, this is easily one of the game's best tracks. Is someone chopping onions?
Current Capers - Proper Aquatic Ambiance remix

Twilight Terror - Stickerbrush Symphony remix

Irate Eight - Lockjaw's Saga remix

Homecoming Hijinx - Really amps up the swell

Forest Folly - So calm and serene

Harvest Hazards - The diversity in the instrumentation is amazing

Panicky Paddels - amazing deamy underwater futuristic version of Harvest Hazards

Big Top Bop - Heavy Metal to the Max! :O

Frozen Frenzy - A nice subtle Frozen nod to Fear Factory

Staff Credits - David Wise rocking out with a Sax Solo :D

All Hail the King Baby! :D

efTeIVT.png

Amazing soundtrack to an amazing game. I would love to see Wise do the soundtrack of every Retro Studios game going forward--Donkey Kong, Metroid, whatever. Masterclass musician for a master class studio.

Verger

Banned
One of the main reasons I'm excited for Yooka-Laylee is that David Wise will be on board it (alongside Grant Kirkhope as well).

Verger

Banned
Greatest video game soundtrack of all time. Infinite variety, infinite quality, seemingly bottomless track list. David Wise is god.
Which is why it again made me throw up my arms in disbelief as it was seemingly snubbed from all "Game Awards" publications from the media outlets. Not even a nomination in some cases. WTF was going on there?

Yes! Yes! If you've never played this game before, imagine yourself traipsing past beehives the size of mobile homes, guarded by the butchiest bees you've ever seen. And the hive keeps getting bigger, and bigger, until suddenly, you've blasted yourself inside of what seems like a honey mountain, and you're surrounded by worker bees. You've invaded their factory, and they don't give a shit because you're just some dumb ape and they've got better shit to do than worry about you. This song mang

The tunes in this game are such perfect compliments to the levels in which they are found. It's one of those games where the music contributes just as much to the joy you feel as you play, as the gameplay and level design itself. It's the Super Mario Galaxy of 2D platformers where the music is concerned. It's on another level from Galaxy where the level design itself is concerned. (Galaxy was a great game with innovative designs abound but DK marries the whole 'using a level gimmick to glorious effect' school of level design with some actual honest to god challenge and god damn it's just the best)

How this game lost out to the likes of Shovel Knight for best platformer on most sites is mind-boggling, as was it being snubbed pretty much everywhere for best soundtrack.

Lunar15

How this game lost out to the likes of Shovel Knight on most sites is mind-boggling, as was it being snubbed pretty much everywhere for best soundtrack.

Because Shovel Knight has a kickass soundtrack? I dunno, I gave DKC:TF my #1 vote in the Neogaf soundtrack vote, but Shovel Knight was a close second.

Because Shovel Knight has a kickass soundtrack? I dunno, I gave DKC:TF my #1 vote in the Neogaf soundtrack vote, but Shovel Knight was a close second.

I was talking about the game itself. But yes, it does have a good soundtrack as well. But the OP illustrates why Tropical Freeze is on a whole other level. Hell, the soundtrack itself is over four hours long, spanning craploads of genres and dozens of different instruments.

can't leave Cannon Canyon out of the mix. I'd watch the hell out of any kids show with a soundtrack this on-point. Just listen to that shit. Builds up into something real special, a calm sort of hype as you're blasting your way through a barren canyon chock full of explosives.

Lunar15

I was talking about the game itself. But yes, it does have a good soundtrack as well. But the OP illustrates why Tropical Freeze is on a whole other level. Hell, the soundtrack itself is over four hours long, spanning craploads of genres and dozens of different instruments.

Game too. Shovel Knight is an amazing platformer. Both were just amazing platformers in a stacked year for platformers.

My overall point being: Why you gotta put down other games to build up another?

phanphare

Banned
it's like some pbs special shit bro

ugh

to be fair they were listening to ~15 second snippets out of a phone or laptop or something while also being balls deep in goty discussions

you've gotta be in the mood for that shit and have it pumping out of a capable sound system

While I always approve of more threads praising Tropical Freeze's incredible soundtrack, I would like to post a few of my favorite tracks that always seem to get buried under the popularity of other great tracks on the album (I'd post more, but I don't want the thread to suffer from overlap). Some of these do an unbelievably stellar job of selling the atmospheres of the levels they appear in, but others are just excellent tracks in their own right that I'm sad I didn't get to hear more often in the game.

Canopy Chaos
Busted Bayou
Crumble Cavern
Deep Keep (Land)
Irate Eight (Land)
Punch Bowl

Definitely one of my favorite soundtracks ever. It escalates Tropical Freeze to GOAT 2D platformer status imo. I still listen to it semi-regularly and it never gets old.

You guys have posted all of my faveourite tracks

i mean this album...this soundtrack...its just something else

words cannot describe how amazing it is

David Wise da god

to be fair they were listening to ~15 second snippets out of a phone or laptop or something while also being balls deep in goty discussions

you've gotta be in the mood for that shit and have it pumping out of a capable sound system

True. It's also one of those games where context definitely helps. It's one thing to hear the tunes totally separate from gameplay footage, and another to see and understand just how well each tune compliments its home stage from having actually played the game. For example, High Tide Ride's buildup is just plain excellent. I'd love a world in which more platformers boasted music that perfectly matched the flow and intensity of each individual level and section of level as well as some of DKCTF's do.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
One of the all-time greatest soundtracks for sure. Listen to it all the time. I'm glad some of you posted Jelly Jamboree, that's one of my favorites that gets overlooked a lot.

Game too. Shovel Knight is an amazing platformer. Both were just amazing platformers in a stacked year for platformers.

Shovel Knight is good, but it doesn't even begin to compare. For starters, it's about 1/4 the length of Tropical Freeze. It's a very blatant homage to classic Mega Man and Castlevania. Tropical Freeze, even though belonging to a long established series, brings in tons of new fresh ideas to a tired genre, all while maintaining the challenge it's series is known for. Unlike most Indy games, Shovel Knight seemed afraid to bring that same challenge that it's influences had, watering down the experience to try to appeal to a wider audience. I remember hearing about how challenging it was gonna be, but I breezed through it with very little difficulty.

It's easily my favourite soundtrack from David Wise, and I absolutely ADORE the DKC2 one.

Amazing. Simply amazing. Still on my mp3 more than one year later.

Top Bottom