• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze OST appreciate thread of David Wise expands dong

Verger

Banned
True. It's also one of those games where context definitely helps. It's one thing to hear the tunes totally separate from gameplay footage, and another to see and understand just how well each tune compliments its home stage from having actually played the game. For example, High Tide Ride's buildup is just plain excellent. I'd love a world in which more platformers boasted music that perfectly matched the flow and intensity of each individual level and section of level as well as some of DKCTF's do.
I think that's the beauty of both David Wise and Kenji Yamamoto working together. Because both are great at choosing music to accompany what is happening on screen. I mean, the Metroid Prime soundtrack was a perfect example of that.

Owl's awesomely underrated music choices

You may be thinking "Owl , how can any music in this game be underrated when GAF wont stop singing its praises?"
An excellent question, ya see like a great JRPG soundtrack Tropical Freeze has so much goodness that some of it still gets a bit lost in the shuffle, such as...

Mountain Mania
I'M CRASHING THROUGH THE MOUNTAINTOPS ON A RHINO TO PEPPY POLKA MUSIC!
I mean how you can you ignore that, this is like an arguable top 5 track for me depending on my mood and I only wish it got as much love as the other Autumn Heights music.
Plus you get Rambi Percussion, it's like Yoshi drums but for the superior mount.

That bit before the loop, so many instruments tucked away creating heartwarming harmony.

Baobab Bonanza
It's like I'm right there in the heart of Not-Africa with DAT FLUTE.
This track is like a throwback to the more atmospheric tracks of DKC1 and 3, that middle portion is just percussion central and then the return of DAT FLUTE, my heart!

Triple Trouble/ Ba-Boom the boisterous
The groovy backing beat at the start, hot damn, makes me want to throw some shapes as they say in Blighty.
Gloriously goofy compared to the other boss themes, fitting of course for the battle in question.

Dynamite Dash
somehow they re-purposed the Frantic Fields theme for an icy cavern, it's short but sweet with that wonderful echo effect, I just wish they took it further.

Irate Eight-Chase
There's like an entire section at the back here that you'll likely never hear playing the game unless you decided to sit in the final barrel waiting to get maximum tunage before offing ol' Squiddy.
Though I still say In a Snow Bound Land got the best remix in this entry.

Rodent Ruckus
Speaking of remixes, best rocketbarrel theme is Accordion rocket barrel theme

I should stop before I just post the whole thing.

While I always approve of more threads praising Tropical Freeze's incredible soundtrack, I would like to post a few of my favorite tracks that always seem to get buried under the popularity of other great tracks on the album (I'd post more, but I don't want the thread to suffer from overlap). Some of these do an unbelievably stellar job of selling the atmospheres of the levels they appear in, but others are just excellent tracks in their own right that I'm sad I didn't get to hear more often in the game.
Deep Keep (Land)
Secret best track in the game.

True. It's also one of those games where context definitely helps. It's one thing to hear the tunes totally separate from gameplay footage, and another to see and understand just how well each tune compliments its home stage from having actually played the game. For example, High Tide Ride's buildup is just plain excellent. I'd love a world in which more platformers boasted music that perfectly matched the flow and intensity of each individual level and section of level as well as some of DKCTF's do.

When it shifts from jaunty to sinister, my word.

L Thammy

It is criminal that there is no way to buy this soundtrack. People should be in jail for this.

I feel like Wing Ding is Tropical Freeze's answer to Stickerbrush Symphony. Doesn't the ending theme even play them both together?

Why no mention of Frantic Fields? Is is because Scorch N Torch overshadows it?

Lunar15

Y'know, people say they'll complain if Retro's next game is another DK, but honestly, I'm down if we're getting another Wise soundtrack.

Or hey, maybe they can do something new and still work with him on a soundtrack.

Verger

Banned
It is criminal that there is no way to buy this soundtrack. People should be in jail for this.

I feel like Wing Ding is Tropical Freeze's answer to Stickerbrush Symphony. Doesn't the ending theme even play them both together?

Why no mention of Frantic Fields? Is is because Scorch N Torch overshadows it?
Yeah, I have no idea why Nintendo didn't release a soundtrack CD/download for this. It makes absolutely no sense considering how huge the OST is and how much acclaim it got (well, by the actual users).

And yeah, Frantic Fields is great and admittedly probably does get overshadowed by Scorch N Torch. But man, it just speaks to the level of quality of the soundtrack where amazing songs get overshadowed by other amazing songs. Almost too much of goodness in one small package.

Azure J

Nocturnowl doing an underrated list and Jammin' Jams manages to completely miss the boat there too. This song is absolutely infectious and invites a series of silly fun imagery complimented by the fact that you're platforming through a frozen fruit production facility stuck in a partially frozen jungle. It doesn't get more surreal or comical than that. The theme itself is just full of a playfulness with a nice percussion and use of flutes before dropping the STANKEST midsection (1:27 on) complete with a "voice" sample that has stuck in my head from my first time hearing it to now as one of the coolest little things in the entire OST's composition.

11/10, would buy icees to this theme.

It was posted before (and I think only appeared for a short section in one level) but I can't stop tapping my foot to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNTWLAXC5A

So is this the OST people will be listening to while building some crazy Mario Maker levels?

Holy shit, I forgot how good Irate Eight's land theme was.

Double Edit: Honestly, the entire Irate Eight "saga" (heh) is just too fucking good. As a whole/theme, it contends with damn near everything else in the game on even footing with only the Alpine Incline duo coming close.

Windmill Hills, Wing Ding, Grassland Groove and pretty much everything on DK Island were easily the highlights in terms of originality.

All the spins on Aquatic Ambiance were just as magical as the original, too, although this one was my personal favorite.

Y'know, people say they'll complain if Retro's next game is another DK, but honestly, I'm down if we're getting another Wise soundtrack.

Or hey, maybe they can do something new and still work with him on a soundtrack.

Didn't Miyamoto say recently that Retro could probably take on multiple projects at this point? If that's the case...

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

phanphare

Banned
It was posted before (and I think only appeared for a short section in one level) but I can't stop tapping my foot to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PNTWLAXC5A

So is this the OST people will be listening to while building some crazy Mario Maker levels?

one of my favorites and sadly no one ever talks about it because if you play that level normally you only hear it for like 10 seconds before you jump into the water

whereas you've got to let it go for about a minute before the full goodness reveals itself. love the horn tone. that bass tone too. so nice. so warm. and whoever is playing enunciates their phrases very well.

Lothar

Banned
I wish I could play this game. I love DKC2 - it's one of my favorite games and it's soundtrack is the biggest reason why, but I can't buy a console for one game. And I wouldn't feel right listening to this OST while never having played the game. I feel like I'm supposed to hear the songs for the first time in the game.

Azure J

one of my favorites and sadly no one ever talks about it because if you play that level normally you only hear it for like 10 seconds before you jump into the water

whereas you've got to let it go for about a minute before the full goodness reveals itself. love the horn tone. that bass tone too. so nice. so warm. and whoever is playing enunciates their phrases very well.

It's honestly so weird to me how this soundtrack manages to do that. There are a fuck load of tunes that just exist as "filler" until the real meat of the level shows itself and the major leitmotifs establish themselves, but that "filler" is full of rich dynamics that almost make you wonder why someone would even do that for such a small segment. It's as if they just love music enough and said "fuck it, have fun guys!"

For example, stepping back to my Jammin' Jams post for a bit, there were at least three different "style swaps/beat drops/tempo switches" in a song that really could have been just one of those three styles. Why?

Gin

I will always talk of my love for this soundtrack..

Just really hate that I have to check the tunes off youtube

really really wish I could buy it off Itunes or an official CD - would love to support nintendo and show my love with cash.

This has instantly become one of my favorite soundtracks of all time! It has a lot of variety and EVERY song is so enjoyable. My favorites are Big Top Bop, Grassland Groove, Windmill Hills and Volcano Dome. Beautiful.

I neeeeed 3D DK in my life, of course with Wise on board.

5IaReCI.jpg

Holy shit this is awesome. David Wise is the motherfucking man.

Oh man, you should peep the map it's in. It's one of my favorite examples of DKCTF's masterfully balanced and multi-layered level design. It's the type of level that's fairly straightforward for new players, but with experience and mastery of the game's systems, players can take their path through the level to new heights, and the level (like with the majority of the game's levels) are designed in such a way to allow this without making those paths obvious. It's incredible. Here's two videos that illustrate this -

Normal playthrough of Busted Bayou

Speedrun of Busted Bayou

simply perfect

phanphare

Banned
It's honestly so weird to me how this soundtrack manages to do that. There are a fuck load of tunes that just exist as "filler" until the real meat of the level shows itself and the major leitmotifs establish themselves, but that "filler" is full of rich dynamics that almost make you wonder why someone would even do that for such a small segment. It's as if they just love music enough and said "fuck it, have fun guys!"

For example, stepping back to my Jammin' Jams post for a bit, there were at least three different "style swaps/beat drops/tempo switches" in a song that really could have been just one of those three styles. Why?

david wise man, dude is a connoisseur

jwillenn

When Nintendo launches its Game Soundtracks Store for the eShop for NX launch, I'll be getting the vast majority of Tropical Freeze songs.

And when Smash 5 comes out with its custom soundtrack support for all music downloaded from eShop featured in Nintendo published games and featured 3rd party classics, I'll be whooping some ass to stuff like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=301s-GDML5w

soundtrack of the generation!

OP missed the best bangers of the work:

Windmill Hills Smooth breakdown filled with these attention-keeping small tension-releases in larger movements, the true sign of a master in action.

Mangrove Cove (Underwater) YO. WISE JUST MATCHED AQUATIC AMBIENCE. HE WENT AND DID THE THING.

Puffer Fish Pressure Got this smooth Bond theme strings going in the foreground, got a hype 5/4 backbeat with a harmonically dissonant tympani behind that keeping you on your toes...then right as you get comfortable with this, everything goes different over and over again! Smooth.

2014 was a weak year for OSTs, but this squeaked by Divinity:Original Sin on some real merit.

Blues1990

It makes me super bummed that both the game and it's soundtrack were largely ignored by both the gaming press and consumers upon it's release. I can only think of one publication that had given Tropical Freeze's soundtrack an honorable mention for their 2014 Game of the Year article, and they were being generous.

Griss

Amazing timing; I just got back from work and was listening to this OST in the car. Whenever it's on I end up staying in the car for an extra 30 seconds to listen to just that little bit more. It's utterly incredible.

Greatest video game soundtrack of all time. Infinite variety, infinite quality, seemingly bottomless track list. David Wise is god.

Exquisite first post. 100% correct.

wmlk

I'm still upset we didn't get anything as moody as Forest Interlude. The deep sounds and synth at the beginning are just...man.

Even the new Aquatic Ambience has less of a pronounced moody sound to it. The new one just feels more ambient. I guess those sounds are what I was looking forward to the most and I just didn't get it. :/

Seashore War is something special, though.

When it comes to Kirkhope or Wise I'm going Wise almost 100% of the time, but I just cannot get into the Tropical Freeze tracks. They work fine for the game itself, but it doesn't have that same quality that some of the better DKC tracks have that make me want to listen to it outside of the game. I don't know if it's the instrumentation or what, but most of them just sound kind of corny to me, like the kind of music produced when video games first got CD audio.

Nocturnowl doing an underrated list and Jammin' Jams manages to completely miss the boat there too. This song is absolutely infectious and invites a series of silly fun imagery complimented by the fact that you're platforming through a frozen fruit production facility stuck in a partially frozen jungle. It doesn't get more surreal or comical than that. The theme itself is just full of a playfulness with a nice percussion and use of flutes before dropping the STANKEST midsection (1:27 on) complete with a "voice" sample that has stuck in my head from my first time hearing it to now as one of the coolest little things in the entire OST's composition.

11/10, would buy icees to this theme.
I was control-F'ing the thread to see if anyone mentioned this track yet. It's not my outright favorite, but it's definitely up there and I'm weirded out how ignored it is considering how close it feels to the first DKC's more natural, jazzy stylings compared to either the DKC2 or Diddy Kong Racing/DKC3 GBA tones Wise went with most of the other tracks.

When it comes to Kirkhope or Wise I'm going Wise almost 100% of the time, but I just cannot get into the Tropical Freeze tracks. They work fine for the game itself, but it doesn't have that same quality that some of the better DKC tracks have that make me want to listen to it outside of the game. I don't know if it's the instrumentation or what, but most of them just sound kind of corny to me, like the kind of music produced when video games first got CD audio.
That sort of sound is nostalgic to me so I never minded, but I sort of get what you mean? There's some interviews with Wise where he makes out there was a big emphasis on recreating a lot of the original DKC soundfonts but in modern times, which is probably why even when you'd expect there to be more live-instrumentation for certain tracks, there isn't.

I'd probably slightly rank DKC2's OST over DKCTF's, but they're still absolutely some of the best in gaming overall.

The Hermit

I would buy a vinyl easily.

Since few people talk about this particular tune, I was legit shook by Alpine Incline during my first playtrough, because it felt like a DKC music from the Snes era.

It was the musical equivalent of this:

tumblr_lnxn1vL7a71qdvriwo1_500.gif

Top Bottom