• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGMpire interviews David Wise about DKC Tropical Freeze's OST

TheMoon

It's short and sweet but still quite neat.

Forgive the rhyme, don't deem it a crime.

Intended it was not and now I shall stop.

My favorite bit:
Q: And then as a testament to the varied nature of the OST, tracks like Big Top Bop and Grassland Groove are unlike anything else in the game. What’s it like bouncing from Kenyan harmonizing to shredding guitars? Do you use some kind of mental palate cleanser to move from one style of music to the other?

I definitely like variety – and a challenge. So I’m happy to mix the styles up. Keeps it interesting as a composer.

Yamamoto-san didn’t want it to sound too familiar. At the Nintendo offices, there are quite a few good singers who regularly sing in choirs. So Yamamoto san recruited them all to sing the vocal choir parts for Grassland Grove. It certainly gives the music a very unique and charming character. It’s an honour to have the staff at Nintendo record their vocals for the Tropical Freeze Score. We used a Sample CD of African Vocals.​

Full thing here:
http://www.vgmpire.com/2015/12/27/dkc-tropical-freeze-interview-with-david-wise/

-shadow-

Obligatory "Fucking David Wise!"

Still terrible how Tropical Freeze got snobbed for Soundtrack of the Year! :(

Q: A moment to toot your own horn: has there been a track that, when completed, you sat back and thought ‘hot damn, I nailed that one.’

Yes. The first version of Seashore War – which was originally going to be set in the Savannah levels – was the one that I sat back and thought ‘Yes!” It’s a different version that exists in Tropical Freeze, but the original version, is still very much my favourite.
It'd be really neat to hear some of the music that didn't make it into DKCTF somehow, but I imagine Nintendo would have it under lock and key at this point. :/

Still, really neat interview. Also good to hear I wasn't just hearing things with stuff like bits of Haunted Hall showing up in Frantic Fields or Hot Head Bop in bits of Busted Bayou wasn't just me being desperate for more DKC2 love in TF's OST.

Need to listen to this OST more! What are some particularly good tracks?
I'd personally recommend Scorch 'n' Torch to get a feel for just how pronominal DKCTF's original tracks can be.

The Giant

Banned
Wasn't there a rumour earlier in the year saying that david wise is doing music for a unannounced nintendo game?

I'll definitely check this out. Thanks OP. Also any thread where it gives me an opportunity to gush about David Wise and his incredible OSTs is a good thread in my book.

David Fucking Wise.

Golnei

It'd be really neat to hear some of the music that didn't make it into DKCTF somehow, but I imagine Nintendo would have it under lock and key at this point. :/

It is a little depressing to think of the music we'll never have access to - if the game hadn't been ripped, we wouldn't even have heard the full version of that Stickerbush Symphony arrangement in the credits - hopefully, they'd consider releasing tracks like those if they ever did an official soundtrack release.

If you're craving some Wise, check out the Tengami soundtrack. Some of the songs there could've easily been in an Asia-themed DKC level. https://nyamyam.bandcamp.com/album/tengami-original-soundtrack

Tengami's soundtrack was great. I'd probably die if I heard a version of Frozen in Time with live strings.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

fTTBLia.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've had this games for months but still haven't played it, even though DKC2 sits behind only Super Metroid as my all-time favourite game, and its soundtrack in particular is something I adore even to this day.

I am a horrible person. :(

Awesome interview! Actually, I tried to interview David Wise last year, but although he promised, he never answered our questions. Was a bit disappointed by that. But most of the things I'd've liked to ask him have been answered in that interview, so I can't really complain.

Tropical Freeze has one of the best, if not THE best videogame soundtrack I've ever heard. I'm still listening to it nearly every day. And the best track is Busted Bayou, obviously; nice to see the interviewer asking about that piece especially.

Can't wait for the next game with Wise Man's music. Wasn't he supposed to co-compose Yooka-Laylee? But his last answer sounds like he isn't really involved with the game. Although I do remember a picture of him working at Playtonic in Edge magazine.

TheMoon

I think you meant

tumblr_n08nnuF08a1rd1qi0o2_500.gif

I've had this games for months but still haven't played it, even though DKC2 sits behind only Super Metroid as my all-time favourite game, and its soundtrack in particular is something I adore even to this day.

I am a horrible person. :(

If you have it, that's an easy flaw to fix. DKCTF is gaming greatness par excellence.

Top Bottom