• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze OST appreciate thread of David Wise expands dong

It was the musical equivalent of this:

tumblr_lnxn1vL7a71qdvriwo1_500.gif

Exactly. The new tracks are amazing, but the reimaginings, especially Irate Eight just hit me in a way not many other soundtracks could last year.

Twilight Terror still gives me chills.

Oh man, you should peep the map it's in. It's one of my favorite examples of DKCTF's masterfully balanced and multi-layered level design. It's the type of level that's fairly straightforward for new players, but with experience and mastery of the game's systems, players can take their path through the level to new heights, and the level (like with the majority of the game's levels) are designed in such a way to allow this without making those paths obvious. It's incredible. Here's two videos that illustrate this -

Normal playthrough of Busted Bayou

Speedrun of Busted Bayou

simply perfect

Holy crap, the design is flat out amazing. I'm yet to play DKCTF because it's really hard to find where I live and a tad overpriced as well so it's one of those games where I say to myself I'll buy next month and never do.

Now I WILL buy it next month (cash reasons).

Murugo

David Wise's Tropical Freeze is the one soundtrack I wish would get an official release by Nintendo. It's without a doubt my favorite soundtrack in the Wii U lineup. My favorites are Amiss Abyss, Wing Ding, and Seashore War.

I might be crazy, but I'm not a fan of Twilight Terror, the remixed Stickerbrush Symphony. The track would have been excellent if the shrill sound of the flute wasn't so jarring in certain places. The jazz version in the staff role is a far better interpretation, and it makes me incredibly happy there's an uncut version.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Greatest soundtrack of all time

Sponge

Banned
Tropical Freeze's soundtrack is so fucking good. There's so much I love about Tropical Freeze. Retro knocked it out of the park with that game.

Even if there's no DK newcomer for Smash 4 DLC, it'd be amazing if they threw in a ton of Tropical Freeze songs and maybe even commissioned Wise and Kirkhope to do a couple new remixes next update.

As is it's just Mangrove Cove (which is fine enough, but hardly the best TF has to offer) and DKCTF's take on DK Island Swing which already had 7 other remixes in Smash. :/

I would buy a vinyl easily.

Since few people talk about this particular tune, I was legit shook by Alpine Incline during my first playtrough, because it felt like a DKC music from the Snes era.

It was the musical equivalent of this:

tumblr_lnxn1vL7a71qdvriwo1_500.gif

I was obsessed with Alpine Incline from the moment we heard a tiny clip of it through whatever NIntendo site that was prior to the game's release. Can't remember the last time a game hit me with such a nostalgia bomb with new material.

Verger

Banned
Why can I not buy this soundtrack anywhere?
Yeah. Really insane, just another one of those odd nonsensical decisions from NoA. I mean, how hard is it to digitize the OST and release it for sale? I never understood why they never did this with more of their timeless soundtracks.

Anyway, another one I love is Aqueduct Assault, it just really pumps you up like you're marching off for war type feeling.

jdw_b

Brilliant soundtrack.

I actually go back and play Grassland Groove quite often just to listen to it. The way the whole world feels alive in that level puts a massive smile on my face. Could be my favorite single level ever

Hedgey

I recently played through Tropical Freeze and I really didn't enjoy it as much as others have, which is unfortunate.
I think the main thing is that I grew up with the DKC series and was hoping for something similar. At the same time I didn't want to be a victim to nostalgia so I played the whole game.
One of the biggest things about DKC:R is that the controls were messed up, so I never played it for more than a couple levels.
I still don't like the controls in TF, but they were definitely playable.

To keep things on topic, the music in this game is pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of a lot of the overly happy tracks (especially the country song). Seems like this guy is at his best when he's setting the tone for a challenging level. Alpine Incline is fantastic,

Verger

Banned
Brilliant soundtrack.

I actually go back and play Grassland Groove quite often just to listen to it. The way the whole world feels alive in that level puts a massive smile on my face. Could be my favorite single level ever
It is definitely the best example of a level where it seems that the Music itself was perfectly synced to go along with the "flow" and progression of moving through the level, how it changes when you reach certain segments and then swells to grandeur as you reach the end.

Sheer brilliance from David Wise.

TEJ

I asked david wise on facebook if dkc tf will ever get a cd set or at the very least, itunes. Dunno when I will get a response.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, another kudos for David motherfucking Wise for doing such different and diverse renditions of the "Rocket Barrel" theme.

I love the "Rodent Ruckus" version. The French-ness of it reminds me of Ratatouille, plus all the Cheeze :p

D-Man

I fucking love David Wise so much. Every time I hear his music, I just feel nothing but happiness. Tropical Freeze's OST was a masterpiece and I cannot wait to hear what he has in store for Yooka-Laylee.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Who's Dan Ryckert?

Editor at Giantbomb. Vehemently defended the Tropical Freeze soundtrack as Best Original Soundtrack for last year's Game of the Year awards, but couldn't really provide any examples that impressed any of the other editors on their podcast when arguing for it.

Verger

Banned
TF came out in 2014, and it won GAF's OST of the Year. :)
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the only place where it won such an "award".

I swear I do not recall any major publication or outlet giving it an award, or even a nomination. That just felt so wrong :(

tbd

Crazy good game, blew me away. Coming from someone who is absolutely tired of side-scrolling platformers.

Silvawuff

I have no interest or means to play this game, but I've been listening to this OST often. It's truly a great thing.

Dad

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the only place where it won such an "award".

I swear I do not recall any major publication or outlet giving it an award, or even a nomination. That just felt so wrong :(

The only thing I can recall off the top of my head is Pitchfork giving it a shoutout as one of their top OSTs of 2014. Absolute shame it got snubbed by most outlets.

Verger

Banned
The only thing I can recall off the top of my head is Pitchfork giving it a shoutout as one of their top OSTs of 2014. Absolute shame it got snubbed by most outlets.
Yeah, it pissed me off, because to me it reeked of "We're not going to pay attention to this game because A. It's on the Wii U, and B. It's a Donkey Kong game we didn't want because we wanted Retro to make Metroid"

Very poor of the outlets.

Verger

Banned
Bleh, I forgot to put up Punch Bowl. Another great rock song.

In all the praise of David Wise, I do have to wonder just what Kenji Yamamoto contributed to the score. Did he and Wise work on separate tracks each or did they combine their talents into all the tracks?

Everyone of course didn't really care for Kenji Yamamoto's score of Donkey Kong Country Returns (though I read somewhere that a lot of it can be mostly pinned on composers working under him). But he did have two pieces I enjoyed

Music Madness - because of how it's integrated within the level

The Tiki Tong - Reminds me of Metroid Prime (but then again so did the whole OST)

I would actually hope that they could have David Wise work on a Metroid score. I mean, since Yamamoto worked on a DKC score, it's only fair.

In all the praise of David Wise, I do have to wonder just what Kenji Yamamoto contributed to the score. Did he and Wise work on separate tracks each or did they combine their talents into all the tracks?

Everyone of course didn't really care for Kenji Yamamoto's score of Donkey Kong Country Returns (though I read somewhere that a lot of it can be mostly pinned on composers working under him). But he did have two pieces I enjoyed

The Tiki Tong - Reminds me of Metroid Prime (but then again so did the whole OST)

I would actually hope that they could have David Wise work on a Metroid score. I mean, since Yamamoto worked on a DKC score, it's only fair.

In the credits, Yamamoto is credited as a music supervisor, while Wise is solely credited simply under "music". That suggests to me that all compositions were Wise's, though Yamamoto may have had some influence here and there.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Correct me if I am wrong but GAF awards are the only awards that matter.

Most outlets snubbed it because it didn't have blaring inception horns and dubstep.

I think there was, it's the same is in Irate 8. My favorite is the underwater version.

It's very unclear on how much music Yamamoto wrote himself for the DKC 4 and 5. I would love for them to collaborate on a Metroid soundtrack though.

Dad

Life in the Mines Returns was really the only track that stood out for me in Returns.

Top Bottom