• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Number45

Twice now, due to crashes I've lost ALL progress and have to restart from day 1. Definitely infuriating, I thought this game autosaved?
Only on certain events. There's a breakdown in the first few pages, something like when you enter a cave and a few other points (because they didn't want people to be able to game the system). Heading out shortly so I don't have time to hunt the post down, but it's definitely in this thread.

I2amza

Do items dropped on the ground stay forever (or until taken or consumed by animals) or do you have to store things in a chest?

Where is the best place to set up a fort? I had one map where there was a big cobblestone road that lead to a huge pig man area. I was going to set up there then got too cocky with spiders and died unexpectedly. My next couple maps suck and didn't have the big road.

At this point I'm just wandering around, I need to settle somewhere. I found a field of beefalos, and also a field absolutely full of rabbits. I'm thinking the rabbit field would be good, I'm not kidding there were 20 - 30 holes.

Yes items stay on the ground forever unless they are items that can rot (green background). Those will turn into rot if left alone.

A good place for a base is nearby beefalos (not too close cause they attack during mating season (their butts are red during mating)). Since beefalos are in the savannas you get healthy dose of rabbits and grass. Also it's easier to hunt down koelaphants in the savannas.

Don't worry about pigs early. Once you have set up a basic camp you can go to the pig village and hammer down their houses. then you can create your own pig village nearby (beware of full moon, pigs turn into werepigs). A pig village is useful later in the game against hounds because they kite while fighting. Also giving 4 monster meat to a pig turns it into a werepig where you can kill to get 2 meats and 1 pig skin (Free Ham Bat!) or you can keep the pig skins to make more pig houses eventually.

Plant trees nearby and keep chopping them until a Treeguard pops up. Then pacify it by planting more trees nearby it. Go somewhere else and chop more trees. The treeguard wakes up and becomes neutral. This will be your protection against the deerclops.

Try killing a level 3 spider den to get spider eggs. Then plant it somewhere close so you can easily farm them. (Traps all around the perimeter does a fine job)

Don't worry about having roads nearby. Once you get a walking cane you will run like the wind.

Survived my first winter. Now I don't know what to do though lol...
ihux8TkI5uZdK.jpg

Build anything you want. Make a miner's hat and go spelunking!

I actually found one of those just chilling on the ground (it's currently stored in my chest) and did a little spelunking before winter started. Note to the wise, being down in caves drains sanity like crazy.

I2amza

I actually found one of those just chilling on the ground (it's currently stored in my chest) and did a little spelunking before winter started. Note to the wise, being down in caves drains sanity like crazy.

Easy way to remedy this is to make a lantern (like miner's hat it can be refueled) and put on a Tam'o Shanter (rare drop from Walrus)

ced

Well I made it to winter and starved, exactly what I wasn't supposed to do.

I put a lot of time into that run, I almost don't want to do that again.

So transplanted berry bushes, do they just take forever to grow berries or do you have to do something other than fertilize them?

Well I made it to winter and starved, exactly what I wasn't supposed to do.

I put a lot of time into that run, I almost don't want to do that again.

So transplanted berry bushes, do they just take forever to grow berries or do you have to do something other than fertilize them?

They don't produce during the winter; nothing grows.

This has been the only game eating up my time. I've put off continuing my P4G playthrough to try to make it through at least one goddamn winter in this game. So far, no luck.

I've built basecamps with drying racks, crockpots for food. One time I thought I was doing pretty good because I had tons of crockpots with plenty of monster meat and winter gear, until I realized I had no more crops to make meatballs with, and the 20-something berry bushes I had (which I had not picked) suddenly no longer had berries as the winter poured on. Died looking for more crops, and reviving at some random location with no winter gear just made dying again quicker.

My last two runs have had winter start really early (like by day 5-6), but usually in this case, a couple of camps have been prepopulated with winterometers, ice box, and chests with winter gear already inside. Pretty helpful, I'd almost prefer that then trying to find all the ingredients myself. My current runthrough a lot of stuff was pre-made, and was able to kill my first tree guardian by lighting the entire forest on fire, then using a kiting method to kill him off. That said, I'm based not too far from an Igloo, and got a feeling that I won't last very long.

Love this game though! Hopefully I can put it down when Castlevania and Dark Souls come out soon.

Zoe

I've built basecamps with drying racks, crockpots for food. One time I thought I was doing pretty good because I had tons of crockpots with plenty of monster meat and winter gear, until I realized I had no more crops to make meatballs with, and the 20-something berry bushes I had (which I had not picked) suddenly no longer had berries as the winter poured on. Died looking for more crops, and reviving at some random location with no winter gear just made dying again quicker.

You can make meatballs on rabbits alone...

First time I played the game was tonight. Made it 11 days in on my first try....then 2 days lol and now I am pissed seeing that post in the op about the map! Haha I was like damn, it's going to be tough to remember where I am going and such lol nice to know. Played 4hours without it...

Survived my first winter. Now I don't know what to do though lol...
Judging by this picture, I'd say the first thing that'd be helpful would be to build another chest so you don't have to carry the more rarely-used items yourself (stuff like gold, feathers, pinecones, etc.).

Then, build up food and go on walkabout to find Chester.
Jerky is your best friend for caving. It keeps a very long time (especially if you build an icebox), so you can build up a good supply over time even with only a few drying racks. And it restores a decent amount of sanity considering how easy it is to make (better sanity restoration but less hunger than crockpot foods).

But I'll spoil a gameplay surprise in order to save you some heartache: don't carry the jerky into the caves yourself. Put it all in Chester.

Twice now, due to crashes I've lost ALL progress and have to restart from day 1. Definitely infuriating, I thought this game autosaved?

Don't forget your PS4 uploads your save data every night if you have PS+. Instead of starting over, just go into Settings and download the previous night's save.

Just started playing this game and I think I'm hooked. So much fun. I started by killing everything for meat then reallize d that was stupid idea. I decided to check wiki and holy shit this game is deep! I barely last a week but now with more knowledge I might make it much further.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't free anymore, right? I can PM a mod to get the thread title changed.

Darksol

So what the hell...the other day I saw a spider nest turn into a giant ass spider, start spitting out new spiders, and walking around my camp. I tried to lure the spiders into biting beefalo, but no luck. I ended up killing it with fire. Creepy stuff.

Anyone else get that bastard?

So what the hell...the other day I saw a spider nest turn into a giant ass spider, start spitting out new spiders, and walking around my camp. I tried to lure the spiders into biting beefalo, but no luck. I ended up killing it with fire. Creepy stuff.

Yea that happened by my camp, scared the shit out of me. Luckily some beefalo and penguins took him out.

I2amza

Yeah. That's the spider queen. It spawns randomly from level 3 nests. Killing it can net you spider eggs (spawns a spider nest anywhere you place it) and a spider hat (take control of spiders).

If you leave it to wander for ~2 days then it will turn into another spider nest level 1.

Easiest way to kill it is use 13 blow darts. Or freeze her using freeze staff and put 12 gunpowder, blow it up and then hit it ~5 more times.

Another tip for winter: if you get lots of monster meat, turn it into usable food by building a bird cage. Feeding cooked monster meat to the bird will give you eggs.

crockpot + monster meat + 3 eggs = meatballs
crockpot + monster meat + 2 eggs + morsel = bacon and eggs

Grinchy

Banned
I'm on my 3rd winter now, day 93. I'll probably ride it out and then go crazy with spelunking. I just can't seem to find the adventure mode door anywhere.

edit- OH GOD i'm so dumb. I had been killing every walrus I came across to stock away some tam-o-shanter hats. Since I was just kinda grinding away and not paying that much attention, I started a fight with a walrus and his hounds without putting on any armor. I didn't realize I forgot to put on my armor until I was already dead. Fuck! There goes my 93 day save lol

I2amza

So I am about done with Adventure mode (world 4) and I gotta say that IMO, WX-78 is hands down the best character for it.

WX-78 takes dmg from the rain but once a lightning hits you, you have full hp and can run like the wind (with walking cane = faster than wind). At that point just put on an umbrella and you are good for a day. Low Sanity is not an issue as long as you know how to kill nightmare creatures.

You start out pretty weak with 100 hp/sanity/hunger, but once you get your hands on some gears you can upgrade by consuming gears to maximum 400 hp, 200 sanity, and 300 hunger. Those stats stay with you throughout Adventure mode.

But the best thing is that Gears are food that doesn't spoil that restores 60 hp, 75 hunger, and 50 sanity. That's one of the best food & healing items ever! You can carry a full stack of 40 gears and never have to worry about food in the next world.

Some tips for adventure world:

- Try to learn lots of recipes in the 1st and 2nd world.

- Before moving onward to next world, build all buildings before hand but do not place them. They carry into the next world. I always had all food buildings, pig house, 2 science buildings, bird cage, 2 magic buildings, a campfire and a firepit all ready to be deployed once without using resources.

- I always took with me a full stack of durable food (gears/big jerky), and all the pig skin I could find. Easy to make football helmets and Ham Bats (awesome weapon for adventure mode)

GulAtiCa

Really loving this game so far. The farthest I've made it was day 10. Been a blast. Getting better at it with each playthrough.

Grinchy

Banned
Does this game only back up when coming out of standby, or am I having account issues?

I still haven't figured out when or how often the saves auto-upload.

For this game, I just manually uploaded my save to the cloud. I was afraid of it not saving and I was afraid of getting a corrupt save (since people here said it happened to them). When I was really into my world, I would upload my save every hour or 2.

sladeums

Anyone else just get an update too? What do you think it was for?

Don't Starve: Console Edition
Version 1.01

Improvements:
- New HUD Size Settings: We've now added a "HUD Size" option to the Settings screen to allow the player to increase or decrease the size of the HUD and in-game text to improve the readability when playing on smaller displays.

- Auto Save Improved: We have changed the Auto Save feature so that it will now automatically save the game after every full day in Gameplay. We have added an option to Settings to allow the player to toggle the daily auto save on and off.

- Better Rock Lobster A.I.: Rock Lobster followers will now function properly when travelling between the surface and the caves.

Fixes:
- Addressed rare crashes related to attempting actions on world objects while they are being lit on fire, and certain rare creatures being spawned into the world.

- Addressed issues with part of Mini-Map disappearing or displaying wrongly under certain circumstances.

- Fixed an issue with resurrection after dying in the ruins and descending back into them.

- The Wes unlockable character will now spawn correctly in Adventure mode.

Does this game only back up when coming out of standby, or am I having account issues?
If you've got Plus, it should act like any other game and update while in standby. There are a couple things that could be happening. First, each game can have auto-updates turned off individually. I doubt that's the case, but you can check with the Options button on the game itself.

Second, there are two different system settings that have to be on. First is the obvious System-level "Update while in Standby" setting. But as that page mentions, you also have to go to Power Save and enable internet use in Standby.

If all that's okay and you're still having problems I don't know what the issue might be. You can always manually save the game to the cloud, of course, but that'd be a hassle to remember every time.

Don't Starve: Console Edition
- Addressed issues with part of Mini-Map disappearing or displaying wrongly under certain circumstances.
Thank the Elder Gods! This was really bugging me when I had to re-find exactly where the best material-farming spots were every time.

This has been the only game eating up my time. I've put off continuing my P4G playthrough to try to make it through at least one goddamn winter in this game. So far, no luck.

I've built basecamps with drying racks, crockpots for food. One time I thought ;I was doing pretty good because I had tons of crockpots with plenty of monster meat and winter gear, until I realized I had no more crops to make meatballs with, and the 20-something berry bushes I had (which I had not picked) suddenly no longer had berries as the winter poured on. Died looking for more crops, and reviving at some random location with no winter gear just made dying again quicker.

My last two runs have had winter start really early (like by day 5-6), but usually in this case, a couple of camps have been prepopulated with winterometers, ice box, and chests with winter gear already inside. Pretty helpful, I'd almost prefer that then trying to find all the ingredients myself. My current runthrough a lot of stuff was pre-made, and was able to kill my first tree guardian by lighting the entire forest on fire, then using a kiting method to kill him off. That said, I'm based not too far from an Igloo, and got a feeling that I won't last very long.

Love this game though! Hopefully I can put it down when Castlevania and Dark Souls come out soon.

I just came across this insta winter set piece today. Nothing like winter on day one! I looked it up after the fact and it turns out that it's a trap and winter is activated when you open the chest. So...if you find this again, use the fridge, but don't open the chest until day 21. It contains some good winter stuff, so make sure to go back to it later.

I just came across this insta winter set piece today. Nothing like winter on day one! I looked it up after the fact and it turns out that it's a trap and winter is activated when you open the chest. So...if you find this again, use the fridge, but don't open the chest until day 21. It contains some good winter stuff, so make sure to go back to it later.

Hmm that's interesting. Kinda like the fire trap but way more gnarly.

I'm at day 102. Half way through my third winter. I have a meat effigy and a life giving amulet. My pig shrines are toast though. I found all the "thing" pieces and crated the portal to a second world. The plan is to make it through this winter, use my diving rod to get to adventure mode and then do some spelunking. Before winter 4 hits, grab as much good stuff as I can and go to my second world resetting everything.

Relegated to community :(

So does the pig-king sometimes not spawn? Is that part of the game? There is no pig-king on my entire map :(

But I had two respawn points (is that normal?)

Grinchy

Banned
So does the pig-king sometimes not spawn? Is that part of the game? There is no pig-king on my entire map :(

But I had two respawn points (is that normal?)

I didn't have a pig king on my last map but I did have 2 respawn points. I had like 2 chests full of random trinkets I couldn't sell.

I didn't have a pig king on my last map but I did have 2 respawn points. I had like 2 chests full of random trinkets I couldn't sell.

Yeah my current map doesn't have a pig king either. I'm having a hard time finding maxwells portal too. I crafted a divining rod, but then my third winter hit putting exploration on the back burner. Still waiting for my inevitable deerclops encounter.

So this game is making my actions border on insane behavior. I do almost the same thing every time only to die in winter.

I get tons of berrys and make a puffy jacket but die. I get tons of bee hives and a puffy jacket and die. I get tons of jerky and a puffy jacket but die.

How can I get past winter guys!?

Grinchy

Banned
So this game is making my actions border on insane behavior. I do almost the same thing every time only to die in winter.

I get tons of berrys and make a puffy jacket but die. I get tons of bee hives and a puffy jacket and die. I get tons of jerky and a puffy jacket but die.

For me winter is pretty simple with a bunch of berries stored up in a fridge, along with mushrooms and other things that can be mixed with meat to make meatballs with crockpots. I had like 3 chests full of rabbits before winter started too. I didn't even really go through them because you can also use monster meat to make meatballs with no adverse effects.

I had a base with 5 crockpots. I would have like 10-15 meatballs stored in my fridge along with each of the crockpots having meatballs sitting on top of them. If you have a bunch of berry bushes and rabbit holes nearby, you can make way more meatballs than you could ever eat. Jerky is a good food item but I don't cherish it as much as other people do. I'm all about the meatballs. My last world ended during the 3rd winter and it was only because I stupidly forgot to put on my armor before I started a fight with a walrus.

You need crock pots (and a bird cage if you can build it). The bird can turn cooked monster meat into eggs so you can keep making meatballs.

Jintor

You know, I played like almost 30 more hours after it dropped on PS4 and I never found a cog. NEVER. Didn't even find any clockwork jerks.

Top Bottom