• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

Number45

Just starting my first winter. It's so sad that I'm only on day 22 of my first play through given how much I've read and watched of the game. I love it and hate it at the same time! D:

Just going to concentrate on making it through. I have five farms, three drying racks and a couple of crock pots but my base isn't very organised (or all that well positioned I don't think).

Grinchy

Banned
I find meatballs so effective for hunger. is there really any benefit to drying racks and farms if you have 5 crockpots churning out meatballs all the time?

-PXG-

I find meatballs so effective for hunger. is there really any benefit to drying racks and if you have 5 crockpots churning out meatballs all the time?

Dried food lasts a very long time.

All unharvested crops, and food left on crock pots and drying racks will never spoil.

Jintor

jerky also restores like +30 sanity (apart from monster jerky, but you can crockpot that or feed it to a bird for eggs)

I find meatballs so effective for hunger. is there really any benefit to drying racks and farms if you have 5 crockpots churning out meatballs all the time?

I've found food to never really be an issue in this game. Mobs pose a much bigger threat than hunger.

Also deerclops will stomp the shit out of those farms but leaves drying racks and berry bushes alone (at least for me).

Grinchy

Banned
Maybe I won't always be so fortunate, but I have like 3 of those Tom O Shanter hats to raise my sanity whenever I need to. And I have meatballs coming out of my ass. I have so many that if they are going stale I feed them to pigs. I just seem to have no hunger/sanity worries whatsoever. Like WheelHoss says up above, the mobs are the only threat in my current world.

I just find it strange that I have no use whatsoever for my drying racks. I feel like I can live forever off of just my 5 crock pots and my chests full of rabbits.

Jobbs

Banned
This is ridiculous. Ended up, somehow, with 2 treeguards chasing me around my own base right at the beginning of nighttime. had to kite them around the campfire for the entire long winter night. annoying.

1618005_692933380729354_899890421_o.jpg

When morning broke, I decided to see if there happened to be any nearby beefalo in aggro mode. Found a few beefalo and a baby beefalo a bit up north and kited the trees into them. Chomp.

With the adults dead, I was free to hunt the baby myself.

My thirst for blood sparked, but not sated, I was hoping there'd be a greater herd of beefalo somewhere around, where I could inflict more carnage.

Bingo. This could hardly be more perfect. I lost one of the treants somewhere, but one should be enough for lots of beef carnage.

Had a front row seat to the chaos.

The thing managed to strike down a number of beefers before falling. My bounty awaits. And what a bounty. Gonna be tricky to loot all of that, though.

doby

I've just lost a huge chunk of explored map (as in it needs to be re-explored), is this normal?

I'm on day 75 and have yet to find the wooden thing, does this mean its spawned or does everything spawn right at the beginning?

Number45

I forgot to mention, some penguins belly-flopped into my camp last night and proceeded to sleep. I guess there's an argument for not camping next to the sea!

I've just lost a huge chunk of explored map (as in it needs to be re-explored), is this normal?

My map has been doing weird things visually. Areas i have explored before went black for no reason, as if I've never been there, and some parts of the map in between where I've been are revealed even though I was never there. Is this a known bug?

Waiting for MacTusk:
cTDFoS6.jpg

How I've survived the hounds so far:
AZJpcOn.jpg

What's left of the Father & Son Hunting Party after my traps go off:
OkN8DZK.jpg

My next big goal is to take all those tooth traps and bee mines and setup a panic room so I can stop killing beefalo when the hounds attack. Have some serious rock farming to do next summer.

maltrain

Well, I just killed easily the Walrus with a "Football Hemlet" and a "Log Suit"... not a big deal.

By the way... create a "Panic Room".

This is how it works for me (day 250 and some):

PANIC ROOM WORKING

Every trap has 10 uses and not more than 10 trigger every time... and the hounds always give me meat and tooth... sometimes gems. :)

suedester

Banned
Well, I just killed easily the Walrus with a "Football Hemlet" and a "Log Suit"... not a big deal.

By the way... create a "Panic Room".

This is how it works for me (day 250 and some):

PANIC ROOM WORKING

Every trap has 10 uses and not more than 10 trigger every time... and the hounds always give me meat and tooth... sometimes gems. :)

Cool, need to build myself a panic room after winter finishes. Can I ask why you didn't equip a football helmet and log suit when the hounds attacked? They would have hardly caused you any damage had you done so. You've gone insane on your camp, I love to see how others play. I have one crock pot, 3 improved farms growing dragon fruit, a bird cage, a fire pit and 3 chests and I've a surplus of food and on day 104 I think. Going to hit the magic tree hard next summer.

I'm still finding the most irritating part of the game (after combat) to be inventory management. Gaaaaahhhhhhhh

I agree but I've started to organize chests by kind and it's really helping. I have less used items in left chests and higher use in right. I'm starting to know where everything is. But yeah, I could use a vault . . .

Jintor

At least time pauses while inventory managing when using a controller. Back in the PC version's early days you'd waste so much goddamn time just fiddling around and before you know it charlie was a lot closer than was comfortable.

maltrain

Cool, need to build myself a panic room after winter finishes. Can I ask why you didn't equip a football helmet and log suit when the hounds attacked? They would have hardly caused you any damage had you done so. You've gone insane on your camp, I love to see how others play. I have one crock pot, 3 improved farms growing dragon fruit, a bird cage, a fire pit and 3 chests and I've a surplus of food and on day 104 I think. Going to hit the magic tree hard next summer.

Well, I usually use a Football Hemlet and a Log Suit when they attack and just run around until the traps kill them... more easy with the Walking Cane (you go 25% faster).

I just forgot this time (I have them in my inventory as you can see).

But, at this point of the game, I'm a bit more careless sometimes... maybe because I have A LOT of food and I'm cooking all the time, so I just sleep on winter and recover pretty fast... XD

But yes... proper thing is using a helmet and a suit, just in case... ;)

My Panic Room:
DbtsYx9.jpg

Entire interior is lined with Tooth Traps. Bee Mines at each entrance. Hounds are no longer scary, but instead have become my #1 source of meat for my crock pots. All I do is harvest the berries, and I'm good.

Now I just need to find the Ring Thing, and maybe I'll try my hand at adventure mode. With two touchstones active and the Panic Room built, I'm feeling pretty done with Survival Mode.

I2amza

Thank you guys for introducing this game to me. Loving every second of it. Think I am doing pretty decent on this run. Have survived 117 days so far. Here is my base.

BejiOnPCEAA9Gc_.jpg:large

BejiK6nCcAAwUew.jpg:large

My base is a natural fortress. Have a spider den next to me that is lvl 3 and I trapped the whole perimeter for resources.
A herd of beefalo are to the South. Used them for early Hound protection.
Additional food is to the north east in ponds and bees.
A couple neutral tree guards are moving on the north west.

Only bad thing about my location is that the closest Swamp is 2 days trek away even with the walking stick.

The beefalo herd was thinning too much so I created a pig village to the west. 10 pigs and counting make short work of hounds, tallbirds, and Spider Queens.

BejlWyRCEAEwq07.jpg:large

Love hiding with the Bush hat until morning and kiting mobs to the pigs.

Next in my plan is to fight gear monsters and capture fireflies for my spelunking trip.

Jintor

Holy shit that's an amazing base. Just this natural fortification. Great stuff.

Do any of you guys make satellite bases if you find yourself far from home?

I2amza

Yeah good stuff. The only thing that gives me trouble is deerclops. I made gunpowder specifically for him lol.

As for satellite bases not atm. Too resource intensive which will take time which is hard to come by when hounds attack you so often now. Though I am thinking of making panic rooms here and there within close vicinity of natural defenses such as swamps, beefalos, or pigville.

^^^^^

That is a crazy island base! What luck on your map.

Also, surviving the hounds with the panic room is just too cool. It really feels like a step up in defense when you're killing the hounds and not a neutral mob.

maltrain

My Panic Room:
DbtsYx9.jpg

Entire interior is lined with Tooth Traps. Bee Mines at each entrance. Hounds are no longer scary, but instead have become my #1 source of meat for my crock pots. All I do is harvest the berries, and I'm good.

Now I just need to find the Ring Thing, and maybe I'll try my hand at adventure mode. With two touchstones active and the Panic Room built, I'm feeling pretty done with Survival Mode.

Well... I made a NEW VIDEO from my Panic Room, this time with all my equipment and the hounds didn't make me almost any damage.

By the way, the "Ring Thing" isn't necessary for "Adventure Mode", just for starting "a new world" and changing the character if you want.

For "Adventure Mode", you need to find the "Maxwell Door"... like this:

Maxwell%27s_Door_in_game.png

By thw way, in my 263 day, I'm almost untouchable... so I'll maybe start with the Adventure Mode too, but the damn system delete part of my map and now I don't remember where is the stupid door... I searched a lot and can't find it... :(

maltrain

Yeah good stuff. The only thing that gives me trouble is deerclops. I made gunpowder specifically for him lol.

As for satellite bases not atm. Too resource intensive which will take time which is hard to come by when hounds attack you so often now. Though I am thinking of making panic rooms here and there within close vicinity of natural defenses such as swamps, beefalos, or pigville.

About the Deerclop:

* If you go far from him when you hear him for the first time, he dissapear eventually.

* But every time I see him, I use him for destroying things or I use other mobs for killing him (tentacles are great -but is a bit dangerous- because if some die, you can receive a great spikes!). You can see MY VIDEO about Deerclop vs. Beefalos. A lot of free meat. XD

I2amza

About the Deerclop:

* If you go far from him when you hear him for the first time, he dissapear eventually.

* But every time I see him, I use him for destroying things or I use other mobs for killing him (tentacles are great -but is a bit dangerous- because if some die, you can receive a great spikes!). You can see MY VIDEO about Deerclop vs. Beefalos. A lot of free meat. XD

The only deerclops that I encountered came in the middle of the night and destroyed my walls. So I led him to pengulls who got owned and then to a treeguard. Surprisingly the treeguard won o_O

What 4 items should I bring to Adventure Mode?

Walking Cane & Tam O Shanter are definites.

Beefalo Hat? Healing Salves? Stack of Jerky?

Anhkow

What 4 items should I bring to Adventure Mode?

Walking Cane & Tam O Shanter are definites.

Beefalo Hat? Healing Salves? Stack of Jerky?

You can't bring anything over from Sandbox Mode (including learned recipes) into Adventure Mode. The only time you can take items with you is when you teleport between chapters while you're in Adventure Mode.

The fifth chapter of Adventure Mode is the hardest (with it being permanently night) so it's best to take the following items with you from the previous/fourth chapter;

(taken from the wiki)
1) A stack of gold to facilitate making and recharging Miner's Hats.
2) A Walking Cane to kite and travel faster.
3) A stack of Jerky or other long-lasting food supply that also restores health.
4) Spider Silk for catching Fireflies with Bug Nets and Top Hats or a Tam o' Shanter (highly recommended) to use when standing near stationary light sources; or pre-captured stack of Fireflies for Miner Hats, or something else of your choosing.

Jobbs

Banned
some updates.

made a honey farm.

was fighting a treant and had to start a fire for nightfall, kept fighting it, and oops, it died on top of the fire, all of its living logs burned. :( :(

I also set up a meat effigy a ways south of my home base. This seemed like a good spot, it's tucked next to the water, and very close to where the herde of beefers usually is. I set up a chest of basics next to it just in case.

I2amza

About to go spelunking. Any tips would greatly appreciated.

I have a miners hat, walking cane, stack of fireflies, and other basic supplies.

For food should I bring jerky? Or just veggies for the bunnies?

Also how do you deal with the worms that hunt you? Taking about the ones that replaces the hounds in the cave.

_hekk05

Banned

I have a miners hat, walking cane, stack of fireflies, and other basic supplies.

For food should I bring jerky? Or just veggies for the bunnies?

Also how do you deal with the worms that hunt you? Taking about the ones that replaces the hounds in the cave.

I always find it too hard to stick to a no meat diet for a very long time. No meat crockpot recipes include taffies, pumpkin cookies (these 2 recover sanity), dragonpie, butterfly muffin, fist full of jam, fruit medley, mandrake soup, stuffed eggplant and waffles.

Unfortunately, meat dishes recover the most hunger. Best way to avoid aggroing the bunnies is to have chester hold your meat food. The bunnies don't aggro chester.

I2amza

I always find it too hard to stick to a no meat diet for a very long time. No meat crockpot recipes include taffies, pumpkin cookies (these 2 recover sanity), dragonpie, butterfly muffin, fist full of jam, fruit medley, mandrake soup, stuffed eggplant and waffles.

Unfortunately, meat dishes recover the most hunger. Best way to avoid aggroing the bunnies is to have chester hold your meat food. The bunnies don't aggro chester.

Didn't know you could take Chester underground. Thanks for the tip.

I really dig following everyone's progress. Good ideas all around. Now I am fired up to:

Setup some bee boxes
Start a neighboring pig village
Explore the caves

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Most people probably already know, but you don't have to fight the tree guards, just plant a few pinecones and you're good. What's the advantage of a panic room versus the combo of Beefalos and pig villages? I have like 20 pig houses now or so and they respawn every 4 days if you lose any anyways.

edit- any way to move rabbit holes at all? I'd love to get a handful near my village just for extra stuff.

Jintor

Beefalo mating season and Full Moon Pig Villages are not fun. Panic rooms are reliable in all circumstances short of Deerclops attack

Flunkie

Banned
This game is so much more enjoyable with a controller.

Now I just have to devote time to it. Never been able to get past like day 25, for one reason or another.

If you're going to really deeply explore--as opposed to collect materials--take *lots* of food. It makes things easier if you bring along fire makings as well (though some of that stuff can be collected in the cave instead). The caves aren't on the scale of the overworld, but they're very large.

And there are holes that lead to deeper levels....

What does Maxwell's Door look like on the Map Screen? I feel like I explored the whole map and missed it.

Here's my base pretty much set:
Of4Jqh0.jpg

The map around my base. Putting the pig village so close to my panic room not only helps with hounds but also gives free meat drops (poor piggies):
mSq7dfK.jpg

I2amza

If you're going to really deeply explore--as opposed to collect materials--take *lots* of food. It makes things easier if you bring along fire makings as well (though some of that stuff can be collected in the cave instead). The caves aren't on the scale of the overworld, but they're very large.

And there are holes that lead to deeper levels....

Yeah I am planning on exploring while gathering things that are only underground such as bunnymen stuff, light bulbs, etc.

Quick question about depth worms. Do they act like hounds in the way that if I kite one to some other mobs it will start attacking said mobs? Or will they only target me?

What does Maxwell's Door look like on the Map Screen? I feel like I explored the whole map and missed it.

Here's my base pretty much set:
Of4Jqh0.jpg

The map around my base. Putting the pig village so close to my panic room not only helps with hounds but also gives free meat drops (poor piggies):
mSq7dfK.jpg

I hope you have a couple lightning rods scattered around your bushes/forest/grass/twigs cause that's a huge forest fire waiting to happen lol.

Replicant

I... I just led a bunch of soldier spiders onto a poor pig and they killed him. Those monsters! I feel guilty but they kept chasing me in the forest so I thought it was a good idea to lead them to the pig, thinking he can handle them quite well. But now he's dead.

I'm so sorry Mr.Pig. T_T

I'm not in front of my PS4 right now but I can take a screenshot once I go back home tonight if you still need it.

Top Bottom