• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

I was on day 186. Luckily, every time I go to bed, I make backup on the "online storage" on PS4 with my current state.

Then, after a hard winter, on day 192, I decided to go to the caves for the first time.

Go to one, with very important items (Pan Flute, for example) and Chester, of course... took a torch for a little exploring, deciding which will be my next path... and, a few meters ahead, the pandemonium... some kind of "worms" attack me and killed me in seconds just when I tried to climb!

I couldn't make the trick (hold PS, close the app) on the cave and revived on a touchstone... I went to recover my stuff (by the way, my map doesn't show complete, I don't know why... even the spot where I died wasn't in the map and I even made a sign expecting to mark the cave before going down)...

I found the cave (the game was "mute", no sounds at all), went down (sound returned) and the f*** worms where right there and I couldn't retrieve my stuff... killed again...

Another touchstone saved me, went for my stuff ("mute" again and with sound on caves)... the same thing... I tought I lost, but revived anyway... went again to the cave... but this time the cave generated" again and my stuff just vanished.

Then, I went to my camp thinking: "Well, I lost Chester, my stuff, I'll go to a new world via teleporter"... but I noticed that my progress unblocking prototypes was lost and I had zero advance... :(

Then, I remembered I saved a state last night... finally, I lost 9 days. Next time, I'll go ready for battle with those f*** bugs.

My advice: ALWAYS save to "online storage". ALWAYS.

Edit: This were the motherf*** who killed me:

Depths_Worm.png

That's a badass story. I've found that if you die but revive at a touchstone, even after the auto save icon pops up, if you quit, your death won't have saved. Weird but works.

Has there been any further news in regards to the patch [PS4 version]?, saw the news about the upcoming DLC but thought they were supposed to be announcing patch details this week.

LMAO

The sun came out in our apartment and blinded me! I didn't even see what I was doing.

Honestly, I have so much food now, I don't know what to do with it all. I need that ice box, but those chess enemies scare me. Have to work on that.

Also, tonight I'll be going after walruses. . .

Back on for a few before football.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
LMAO

The sun came out in our apartment and blinded me! I didn't even see what I was doing.

Honestly, I have so much food now, I don't know what to do with it all. I need that ice box, but those chess enemies scare me. Have to work on that.

Just build a boomerang and a log suit and kill a knight, they're easy. The other thing I do is I just have the huge rhinos charge towards me. If you can get the other pieces in its path it destroys them.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
LMAO

What was that menu you went to though!?

BibiMaghoo

Oh, I've never got that. I'm not used to the PS4 just yet so how do you manually save to the cloud?

I only know that because I had that screen after trying to cheat by quitting as I died. I loaded my save back, played for about 10 minutes, then got a random crash with this screen.

dontstarve.jpg

To save to the cloud, you need to go to settings / application data management / saved data in system storage / upload to online storage, then choose what you want to upload.

ohNOitsRO

Just build a boomerang and a log suit and kill a knight, they're easy. The other thing I do is I just have the huge rhinos charge towards me. If you can get the other pieces in its path it destroys them.

Came to say this - The mecha rhino that charges around just completely destroys all the other chess pieces if you get him angled right

Awesome. I have plenty of silk now, so I'll build a few boomerangs and go farms some gears.

And I'm sure the boomerang won't hurt for MacTusk farming.

BibiMaghoo

I thought the PS4 does this automatically every day?

It does, but if you want to make sure your save is up to date at a certain time - rather than waiting for the PS4 to do it at a certain time - then you can do it manually.

It didn't save my BF4 single player though, because when it became wiped, it auto uploaded the new wiped save to the cloud. A slight downside to the system.

maltrain

LMAO

Here is how I killed the monsters for gears (and marble!). Find the Deerclop on winter and make it go, if you can, to that zone. He'll kill all the motherf*** XD

Just booted this up for the first time. It was pretty confusing, TBH. Couldn't figure out the HUD and didn't have a clear direction of what I should be doing and why. Died a few times. Not sure if I'll ever go back.

I can be persuaded otherwise.

Just booted this up for the first time. It was pretty confusing, TBH. Couldn't figure out the HUD and didn't have a clear direction of what I should be doing and why. Died a few times. Not sure if I'll ever go back.

I can be persuaded otherwise.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The community is really supportive. Biggest advice I have is be conservative. There's always time to gather more resources, kill more animals, and make more food. Just stay alive and live another day, and you'll eventually get the hang of it.

When you're first starting, the 2 most important things are: finding gold to make the Science Machine and finding the beefalo to survive the hounds.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does this have anything over the PC version? I tried it out last night on PS4 and felt it controlled wayyy better with a M/KB.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I just died on day 28, because I ventured out too far in the cold and the beefalos were pregnant again which I didn't realize. Then I resurrected in the harsh cold and of course died again.

On my new run I'm already on day 14, but the Treeguard I summoned because I destroyed so many trees killed the beefalos that were close to me. So now I will be short on manure in the future.

Does this have anything over the PC version? I tried it out last night on PS4 and felt it controlled wayyy better with a M/KB.
I'm exclusively playing this via remote play, as Vita is my indie machine for which I don't feel like sitting at the desk or in front of the TV for. ;-)

jou123

Neo Member
Anyone know if the Adventure Mode in the console version differs from the PC? I just found Maxwell's Door and am having trouble locating all the pieces of the Teleporto. I started on the all winter level and spent a week running around the entire map only to find one piece. Is the objective still to find all four and assemble the machine?

I just died on day 28, because I ventured out too far in the cold and the beefalos were pregnant again which I didn't realize. Then I resurrected in the harsh cold and of course died again.

On my new run I'm already on day 14, but the Treeguard I summoned because I destroyed so many trees killed the beefalos that were close to me. So now I will be short on manure in the future.

I'm exclusively playing this via remote play, as Vita is my indie machine for which I don't feel like sitting at the desk or in front of the TV for. ;-)

leave some logs twigs and grass near the touchstone

Gonna take a break for a bit. Annoyed about MacTusk. Don't know why there are 15-20 hounds with them. I guess I should have shown up on the 1st day of winter to only fight the minimum, but this kind of breeding seems buggy. I really wanted that Tusk this winter, and it seems totally out of reach (unless I can find another party close to some kind of aggressive mob). Any ideas? It's 2 MacTusks, 2 Wees, and at least 12 hounds . . .

genbatzu

Anyone know if the Adventure Mode in the console version differs from the PC? I just found Maxwell's Door and am having trouble locating all the pieces of the Teleporto. I started on the all winter level and spent a week running around the entire map only to find one piece. Is the objective still to find all four and assemble the machine?

yes, same objective.

I'm at 4/5 right now (King of Winter) and have found all 5 pieces, just need to get ready to activate the portal~

_hekk05

Banned
Gonna take a break for a bit. Annoyed about MacTusk. Don't know why there are 15-20 hounds with them. I guess I should have shown up on the 1st day of winter to only fight the minimum, but this kind of breeding seems buggy. I really wanted that Tusk this winter, and it seems totally out of reach (unless I can find another party close to some kind of aggressive mob). Any ideas? It's 2 MacTusks, 2 Wees, and at least 12 hounds . . .

In theory it should only be 2 hounds per house. you can keep 1 in mactusk in vision without him ordering the hounds on you. Just approach very slowly and lure 1 slowly away.

In theory it should only be 2 hounds per house. you can keep 1 in mactusk in vision without him ordering the hounds on you. Just approach very slowly and lure 1 slowly away.

How do I do this?

Also, I'm feeding pigs meat and they're not following me. Why is this???

ThisOne

Ugh, I'm on about Day 16 and seem out of places to explore. Not sure why the world seems so small this play through. I think I've walked around the entire shoreline.

Edit: I guess I could always go underground. But I'm mostly looking for Maxwell's door and it doesn't seem to be anywhere in sight :(

Vidpixel

On Day 47 currently, and my will to survive is slightly waning. I have two main camps that are in perfect locations, both of which are near beefalo, rabbit holes aplenty, and pig villages. However, I'm getting somewhat bored of this world and I kind of want to start anew, but I don't want to just kill myself because of all the work I put into my setups.

Luckily, I just found Maxwell's Door, so I'll be attempting to overcome the Adventure Mode this evening.

So the problem with the pigs was you have to press Feed and not just drop the meat. Any meat type item works.

Feeling frustrated I couldn't farm a Walrus Tusk. Placed 15 traps by the igloo, but didn't show up on the first day of winter. I didn't realize they only get hit by the traps if you're there to see it happen. So, I am going to place about 50 traps there by the end of this, my 4th summer, and camp out every night by the igloo when I think it's close to winter. By the time I got down there this past winter, there were already 2 MacTusks, 2 Wees, and close to 20 hounds. No way.

Priority for this summer is unlocking the entire map and constructing a pig village near my base. Even though they aren't as powerful as beefalo (my herd is currently about 30, though we lost 5 or so to a fire hound attack), I like the company. My PS4 needs to be replaced (blu-ray), so I'll be taking a break sometime soon, but that's the only break I foresee. This will get me to Dark Souls 2. Will be streaming again tonight on twitch.tv/wheelhoss1. Join the fun.

MMaRsu

Banned
Awww yeah my base is hella tight! I'm at day 100 o_O. I made 10 pig houses right near my camp, and there are loads of beefalos nearby too, so no worries about doggies evah. I have about 6 drying racks, a ton of berry bushes, a spider den that I planted nearby to harvest silk from.

I also took over the marble floored part where all the robots are. I killed those guys lol. Especially the Rhino robot was very easy to take out.

I haven't seen Maxwell's door on this map though, and I also cannot find any elephants or whatever they are called. How big are the maps because I feel I've discovered everything.

Grinchy

Banned
I didn't realize I had one of those mactusks in my chest until now, so I finally made a walking stick. That item is so awesome. I can't wait for winter to end so I can explore the crap out of the map.

Top Bottom