• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Starve PS4 |OT| Free with PS+

I... I just led a bunch of soldier spiders onto a poor pig and they killed him. Those monsters! I feel guilty but they kept chasing me in the forest so I thought it was a good idea to lead them to the pig, thinking he can handle them quite well. But now he's dead.

I'm so sorry Mr.Pig. T_T

I'm not in front of my PS4 right now but I can take a screenshot once I go back home tonight if you still need it.

Please.

Gaz_RB

Burned out on it, mostly because there is not much payoff for surviving a long time.

Yeah it's weird, I'm at day 145 now and I can't bring myself to play anymore. Kinda burnt out, even though I didn't die.

But I must have put about 50 hours into it not including the PC version, so no complaints from me!

_hekk05

Banned
For those bored, you can always edit world settings to try to survive a harsher world.

Try practising for King of Winter with a winter start, with no guaranteed item spawns to help you at the start.

Try short seasons, for shorter summers but also shorter winters. Bee boxes and farms are less useful, less time to prepare for first winter.

Or maybe try perma darkness lol.

Warablo

Just survived my 1st winter after only playing it once before and watched gameplay. Now im bored and just feel like im waiting to die. I still need to learn how to craft most of the things.

Replicant

Sorry it took longer for me to get this but I kept forgetting about it. Here it is though:

bu0fd5i.png

It looks like a wheel in the middle of a forest in my map. I must say this screenshot ability of PS4 has really come in handy. Thanks for having the foresight to include it on PS4, Sony.

Sorry it took longer for me to get this but I kept forgetting about it. Here it is though:

bu0fd5i.png

It looks like a wheel in the middle of a forest in my map. I must say this screenshot ability of PS4 has really come in handy. Thanks for having the foresight to include it on PS4, Sony.

Awesome. It has to be in the forest biome, right?

I got 4 gears by leading some pigs to the clockwork monsters. Rhino dropped 4 gears. Lost a couple pigs but they re spawn.

Also I moved my pig village away from the tooth traps. Felt bad.

suedester

Banned
Got to day 125 or so and lost a bit motivation so decided to start Adventure mode. Starting in winter with no items is hard, but a lot of fun and has reignited my passion. God I love this game.

Spaulding

How? I know it can be turned off completely, but by game?

Settings -> Application Save data management -> System storage

Press the options button on the DS4. Select auto upload off.

There should be a prompt when you start a game that asks you if you want to do it for that game. If you already said no, I'm not sure where to change it per game.

Nope. That's how it worked on PS3. There you can also press triangle on a game title to toggle that option.

Sanke__

Awesome. It has to be in the forest biome, right?

I got 4 gears by leading some pigs to the clockwork monsters. Rhino dropped 4 gears. Lost a couple pigs but they re spawn.

Also I moved my pig village away from the tooth traps. Felt bad.

Actually im pretty sure the door is in any biome but the forest biome

Its usually in an out of place patch of trees in a different biome

Ive found it in the grassland biome and the one with all rocks but is always in a patch of trees like the picture above

I2amza

So lately I have been trying to drop the Krampus sack. Mass genocide of red birds, snow birds, pigs and bunnies.

Even killed my own smallbird. RIP my friend.

Made it to my first winter, was surviving 27 days with my huge beatnik beard and bunny earmuffs lol, then I got ambushed by 2 nests of spiders, died, then came back without my beard "touchstone"... then proceeded to freeze to death lol

I2amza

So after spending close to 3 summers and 2 winters. Slaying countless birds and rabbits, I finally got the dawn krampus sack. Can't believe I had to kill this guy 28 times.

Loofy

I think I hate this game. But I keep coming back to it.

Can anyone give me tips on whats good to have accomplished before the first winter. And during winter are you trying to make any major progress or are you just trying to survive?
And at what point should I try taking on that cyclops thing in the ruins?

Right I'm up to day 19. I have only made it to winter once before but I died quickly.

This time I have 6 improved farms and 9 drying racks. I have plenty of seeds and grass, wood and twigs nearby.

I only have 7 or eight jerkys saved up and one cook pot meal in storage. I have two or three more live rabbits in to rage and can get probably five more tomorrow with my traps.

What do I need to do to survive winter? I can't see my food lasting much more than four or five days.

MMaRsu

Banned
Right I'm up to day 19. I have only made it to winter once before but I died quickly.

This time I have 6 improved farms and 9 drying racks. I have plenty of seeds and grass, wood and twigs nearby.

I only have 7 or eight jerkys saved up and one cook pot meal in storage. I have two or three more live rabbits in to rage and can get probably five more tomorrow with my traps.

What do I need to do to survive winter? I can't see my food lasting much more than four or five days.

build a winter hat!

genbatzu

finished Adventure Mode (2 weeks ago allready) and haven't played much since them. Survived in Survival Mode up to day ~160'ish, and I'm only missing out on Wes.

I tried to get him by searching Adventure Mode World 1 over and over again, just running around and see if his area is there...somewhere, but it takes sooo much time, 1-3hours to unlock the whole map, that it just sucks to search for him. The problem is, he has a spawnchance of 1%(!). I don't know what the developers thought by doing this, but it's totally senseless, since you not only have to find him, but you have to kill a lot of monsters, too, so you need preperation, which needs another tons of hours, and don't underestimate the harsh Adventure Mode Environments.
On the PC version you can cheat and unlock the whole map to see if he is there, decreasing the time to find him to a minimum, but on the PS4 Version you have to search for hours in one world, before you know if he is there or not, before you can "restart" adventure mode and try to find him again.

So if you are not lucky to find him after 1-5 tries, and need instead 40+ tries, don't even think about going for Wes, the 120+ hours of "Gameplay" are not worth it.

Replicant

Just looked it up and I know I can get the silk but I've never killed or shaved a beefalo, any tips for killing them?

Too much trouble. Just bring a torch late a night and sneak to their camp and shave them bare while they are asleep. Just make sure it's not mating season (pink butt indicator) or you'll get your ass kicked.

genbatzu

Too much trouble. Just bring a torch late a night and sneak to their camp and shave them bare while they are asleep. Just make sure it's not mating season (pink butt indicator) or you'll get your ass kicked.

even better is to wait till dawn in a herd and then place a campfire. All beefalos will come close to the fire source.
Just get sure to build a safe fireplace or the wool will get on fire real quick and burn, also beefalos get a lot of damage

Fredrik

Okay this game is fantastic. I tried it for a few minutes a few weeks ago but tried it for real tonight, and I'm simply blown away by it, it's like Minecraft mixed with Zelda with a bit of Dark Souls.
PS+ subscribers - Don't miss it!

This game. Is going to give me an aneurysm.

Day 90 and was doing perfectly, have a huge base going up and had a bunch of stuff set-up that could last me much longer. I had TWO of those Shrine (respawn points) also, so I even said to my gf, "I think I'm pretty much good forever".

Go exploring... in a swamp and all the sudden the Hounds are after me (no big deal, done it a ton before), get it around a Tentacle but then another wave moves from the top -- there was like 8-10 hounds... DEAD. Lose all the food, fire hounds burn everything that burns. Say as many swear words as I know.

Go back and get all I can get. Trying to leave the swamp but see a huge pile of spider web sitting there, start grabbing and a tentacle comes up and almost hits me, dodge it and another one, dodge that one and stand still for a second and another one under me. DEAD. FUCKING LOSE IT.

Run back, Chester is still there alive. A spider is attacking him, but I can't untarget chester and end up just killing him. Stuff drops. Rage some more.

Still alive. But I'm fucking done with this game... lose TWO respawns in a hour. AHHH!

This game. Is going to give me an aneurysm.

...A TALE OF WOESOME HAPPENSTANCE...

Still alive. But I'm fucking done with this game... lose TWO respawns in a hour. AHHH!
Yeah, the game is like that. You're cruising along, happy with your burgeoning empire of jerky and farmery. And then you make a mistake, being not quite careful enough--BAM! You're gone. I don't actually think the game as a whole warrants the frequent Souls comparisons, but one thing does: even the "minor" enemies can kill you dead very, very quickly.

If you do return to the game, you now know to be very careful if you see a pile of monster debris in a swamp (and you didn't cause it). Tentacles'll get you every time. It happened to me too.

Yeah, the game is like that. You're cruising along, happy with your burgeoning empire of jerky and farmery. And then you make a mistake, being not quite careful enough--BAM! You're gone. I don't actually think the game as a whole warrants the frequent Souls comparisons, but one thing does: even the "minor" enemies can kill you dead very, very quickly.

If you do return to the game, you now know to be very careful if you see a pile of monster debris in a swamp (and you didn't cause it). Tentacles'll get you every time. It happened to me too.

Yup. That's why it always shocks me there are guys at 500+ days. The not starving/freezing part is pretty straight forward once you get into a rhythm. But the random happenstances of things ALWAYS get me and it is always when I am the most comfortable (last time it was from penguins in heat). You definitely learn your lessons hard though. I'll never be comfortable in a swamp without full armor again...

I can't quit this game...

*EDIT* Oh, everyone knows about the Expansion coming out. Nevermind :p

bu0fd5i.png

What is that?

I am just getting my knees wet with this game but I love it so far.

sangreal

No they are not they work same every time, cooking em change the properties as well

Obviously he doesn't mean for people that have researched the min/max bonuses of every consumable

This is one of the problems that eventually drove me to stop playing though. Once I found the wikia it ruined all sense of exploration and experimentation. It left me wishing the game came out on PS4 before PC so people couldn't just extract every bit of logic from the lua scripts.

I have noticed that a lot of people build a camp that they will stay in. but what about exploring the map ?

I have survived around 18 days now and I have not even built a steady basecamp.. I have to science machines that I have had to build and they are far from each other haha.

I guess I dont like the idea of having to "settle down" in one area..

MMaRsu

Banned
I have noticed that a lot of people build a camp that they will stay in. but what about exploring the map ?

I have survived around 18 days now and I have not even built a steady basecamp.. I have to science machines that I have had to build and they are far from each other haha.

You're gonna want to build a big base with traps for protection, ice box to keep your food good and racks on racks of drying racks for Jerky.

Replicant

What is that?

Maxwell's Door. Leads you to Adventure Mode. Don't bother if you've just started. It's even more difficult than survival mode during winter.

You are going to die in winter without a steady base camp with non-destructible fireplace and regular supply of foods. Make one near Rabbit holes + Beefalos camp if possible so you can run to the Beefalos should the hounds start to attack. Just don't run to them without a Beefalo hat if they are on heat/during mating season.

You dont need to kill them. Make a razor and then you can shave them at night when they are sleeping.

So I ended up getting the beefalo hair but died from going too recklessly into a spider den to get some more silk, didn't even make winter to use the hat,

I consistently die around 12-20 days, only got to winter once or twice.

Never get a good base going the rocks with gold are too far away from the beefaloes and so I never get settled until about day 5ish.

This game never starts seems to start with a good map, must be the way I play though.

I tend to look for beefaloes first, collecting grass and twigs as I go. If I find the beefaloes I then look for the rocks with gold and do some mining.

I have started setting the traps right above the rabbit holes, I used to put them on the ground, between two holes and never had much luck, so this strategy has improved a fair bit.

I build farms and a crockpot and start making jerky as soon as possible. Then it seems like I am barely surviving day by day as my grass, twigs and logs get run down quickly.

I usually die taking on spiders or by the hounds when I am out searching for grass, twigs and logs. My strategy is definitely not quite right as I have only made it to winter twice in about 40 attempts. Any tips from anyone?

This game is so hard but I like it a lot for that reason.

Maxwell's Door. Leads you to Adventure Mode. Don't bother if you've just started. It's even more difficult than survival mode during winter.

You are going to die in winter without a steady base camp with non-destructible fireplace and regular supply of foods. Make one near Rabbit holes + Beefalos camp if possible so you can run to the Beefalos should the hounds start to attack. Just don't run to them without a Beefalo hat if they are on heat/during mating season.

Thanks for the tips guys! Much appreciated.

Going back in now and hopefully make it for another couple of days!

If I die and have activated one of those resurrection plates, I will usually start without anything and always been chased by some hounds.

Is there a way to not lose the save entirely if I die?

Replicant

If I die and have activated one of those resurrection plates, I will usually start without anything and always been chased by some hounds.

Is there a way to not lose the save entirely if I die?

Note the location of your resurrection plates and build a 2nd permanent fireplace, a crockpot (if possible), a fridge (if possible) and a chest (if possible) nearby. Then leave a few things (warm clothes, foods, weapons) inside. If you can't build any of those additional items, at least build the fireplace and see if you can find a rabbit hole to place a trap. So when you get revived, you'll at least have a fire and a food source. Oh, also stick a spear on the ground nearby just to be on the safe side.

ced

Do items dropped on the ground stay forever (or until taken or consumed by animals) or do you have to store things in a chest?

Where is the best place to set up a fort? I had one map where there was a big cobblestone road that lead to a huge pig man area. I was going to set up there then got too cocky with spiders and died unexpectedly. My next couple maps suck and didn't have the big road.

At this point I'm just wandering around, I need to settle somewhere. I found a field of beefalos, and also a field absolutely full of rabbits. I'm thinking the rabbit field would be good, I'm not kidding there were 20 - 30 holes.

Top Bottom