• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
doom2016sysreqsmauk5.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Tips and tricks:
Various CPU/GPU benchmarks and data: See this GameGPU article.
Note: The article is in Russian, but the data is presented via graphs.
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Skip intro videos: Append +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to the game's launch options (right-click -> Properties -> Set launch options). (Credit to Sinatar.)
Disable mouse smoothing: Append +set m_smooth 0 and +m_smoothing 0 to the game's launch options (see above; use a space to separate each command). (Credit to Blitzhex and TheTrain.)
Run in fullscreen when using a lower-than-native resolution: Right-click on the game's executable (DOOMx64.exe if using OpenGL or DOOMx64vk.exe if using Vulkan), select Properties, switch to the Compatibility tab and tick "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". (Credit to Robobandit.)
Skip button prompt on load screens: Append +com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1 to the game's launch options (see above; use a space to separate each command). (Credit to Queen of Hunting.)
Enable the Ultra Nightmare graphics preset: Not possible. It seems id misspoke as there is no such preset, just a couple of specific options that go above Ultra to Nightmare: shadows quality and virtual texturing page size.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Window mode: Window; Fullscreen; Borderless
Monitor: Self-explanatory
Aspect ratio: Self-explanatory
Resolution: Self-explanatory
Vertical sync: Off; Adaptive; On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA; TAA (1TX); FXAA (1TX); SMAA (1TX); TSAA (8TX)
Colorblind mode: Off; Deuteranopia; Protanopia; Tritanopia
Gamma: Self-explanatory
Motion blur: Off; Low; Medium; High
Chromatic aberration: Off/On
Field of view: 90 -> 130 in increments of 1

Overall quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Custom
Resolution scale: 50% -> 100% in increments of 1
Lights quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Shadows quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Nightmare
Player self-shadow: Off/On
Directional occlusion quality: Off; Low; Medium; High
Decal quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Decal filtering: Trilinear; Anisotropic 2x; Anisotropic 4x; Anisotropic 8x; Anisotropic 16x
Virtual texturing page size: Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Nightmare
Reflections quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Particles quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Compute shaders: Off/On

Motion blur quality: Low; Medium; High; Ultra
Depth of field: Off/On
Depth of field anti-aliasing: Off/On
HDR bloom: Off/On
Lens flare: Off/On
Lens dirt: Off/On
Rendering mode: Default; Gritty; Cinematic
Sharpening amount: 0.0 -> 4.0 in increments of 0.1
Film grain: 0.0 -> 4.0 in increments of 0.1
UI opacity: 0% -> 100% in increments of 1
Show performance metrics: Off; Low; Medium; High; Ultra; Nightmare (higher options display more data)

JaseC

Out of curiosity is the uncapped framerate really all over the place? Because I never do that.

Yes. Anywhere from ~80fps to ~190fps in my case (running around the opening room; 1080p, Ultra + Nightmare options, AA set to SMAA 1TX).

sgs2008

still cant figure out how to unlock fps even with vsync off. Also sli ppl disable it scaling is very negative like i actually lose 20 fps with sli on with titanx's dropping to mid 40's maxed out 1440p. One card runs fine.

I'm gonna be running this on a GTX 770 with an Intel core i5 4790k processor.

Should be able to get at least 45-55 FPS at minimum and 60 at max when I tinker with the settings

JaseC

still cant figure out how to unlock fps even with vsync off. Also sli ppl disable it scaling is very negative like i actually lose 20 fps with sli on with titanx's dropping to mid 40's maxed out 1440p. One card runs fine.

Yeah, that's the id Tech 5 foundation for you: none of the games support SLI. I was hoping that would change with the step up to 6, but alas.

Nzyme32

Awesome

Yes. Anywhere from ~80fps to ~190fps in my case (running around the opening room; 1080p, Ultra + Nightmare options, AA set to SMAA 1TX).

16GB DDR3-2133, 2600K @ 4.5GHz, 980 Ti, 365.10, Win10 x64.

Not bad at all. Curious to see how much of a difference the Vulkan renderer will make to the performance of such a machine

Cool. Sounds like 1440P/60FPS locked is a reasonable expectation out of my 4790k/980 Ti setup.

Yeah quite possibly. Just building my new PC next week - 6600k @ 3.9GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000......... but stuck with a GTX 560 till the 1070 releases haha

GavinUK86

I'm very interested in seeing how it runs on a 2600k, 16gb ram and a 970. Similar specs to you JaseC just a lesser card. I have to wait until tomorrow though for my CE :(

Erudite

What can I expect with the following:

I5 2500
16 gb ram
390x

The i5 makes me question it because of the minimum/recommended specs....
Dunno how comparable the 390x is comparable to the 980 Ti, but I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.2 GHZ, 16gb and the game mostly runs at 60, with a few dips to ~55 here and there from what I saw. I'm using the preset Ultra settings with max AA, 1440p

sgs2008

so maxed out after fixing my fps problems on a single titan x 1440p including nightmare settings sitting between 80-120. Runs great and the music is amazing

nOoblet16

What can I expect at 1080P with

i7 6700K
32GB of DDR4 RAM
GTX 780 (not Ti) overclocked by 10% or so - I know this is the weakest bit in my rig.

I wish there was a dynamic resolution setting for use people with slower GPUs so as to maintain 60FPS with best quality visuals as often as possible, Overwatch has it from what I believe ("Automatic" in render scale settings).

I guess once Vulkan is patched in, we'll see big gains in performance.

Rizzi

i5 4460
gtx 970
16 gb ram
Seems to run pretty well. I have everything on ultra with SMAA and I haven't dropped below 55 fps running at 1920x1080.

Anyone with a GTX 780? Game's still unpacking for me. Will turn down to console settings if I absolutely HAVE to to maintain 60FPS as a minimum.

Buburibon

so maxed out after fixing my fps problems on a single titan x 1440p including nightmare settings sitting between 80-120. Runs great and the music is amazing

That sounds great. What's the boost clock on your Titan X if you don't mind my asking? Thanks!

T.O.P

Banned
i5 4460
gtx 970
16 gb ram
Seems to run pretty well. I have everything on ultra with SMAA and I haven't dropped below 55 fps running at 1920x1080.

This pleases me :D

Gotta wait until tomorrow since i was forced to buy it physical (in-game store)

GavinUK86

i5 4460
gtx 970
16 gb ram

That's good to hear. What speed is your CPU and RAM? If you know, and don't mind answering. I presume your GPU is factory overclocked?

i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
16GB of DDR3 1866
GTX970 @ 1.45GHz boost
364.96 driver
Windows 10
running the game on HDD

will report after.. it finishes unpacking itself.

Do we have a better idea of what settings the beta was at now? Running on an i7 2600 and GTX 760, there were performance hits even at 720p, and I was hoping it was just a case of them locking it at high-to-ultra settings, or in the case of poor optimization, that they would fix it by launch. As long as it hits 60fps at PS4 quality settings on the 760, I'm buying it.

If anyone has the same or pretty similar rig, I'd like to know your performance at 1080p and what tweaking was required to achieve 60fps

i5-3570k @ 4.1ghz
8gb ram
Gtx 780 (asus dcu2 OC edition)

Quote this post please if you're replying to this.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Woah, so I can unlock the game early? Do I have to keep playing through a vpn or do I just need to unlock it?

Usually you just have to unlock the game however I just tried FlyVPN like i usually do the store reflected NZ changes until i pressed pre-load on doom it changed back to default region.

Never had that before but seems i cant VPN it.
Put my authentication phone in Flightmode too in case they communicated.

So weird. IP is NZ located but steam refuse to change it :|

Tealmann

Usually you just have to unlock the game however I just tried FlyVPN like i usually do the store reflected NZ changes until i pressed pre-load on doom it changed back to default region.

Well I preloaded the game yesterday, and now on VyprVPN it's updating, so we'll see.

Smokey

Subbed

Dunno how comparable the 390x is comparable to the 980 Ti, but I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.2 GHZ, 16gb and the game mostly runs at 60, with a few dips to ~55 here and there from what I saw. I'm using the preset Ultra settings with max AA, 1440p

Gysnc monitor? Bodes well for me at 1440p w titan x, and this is pre Vulcan

DjRalford

I'm so torn, so, so torn, i don't need another game, i have too many to get playing already as I've only just got back into my PC, but Doom, man,,,,i dunno,,,shall i?

Argh

Anyone run it on a R9 Fury, Fury X, Nano yet?

Anyone with a GTX 780? Game's still unpacking for me. Will turn down to console settings if I absolutely HAVE to to maintain 60FPS as a minimum.
I've got a 780 too and theres no possible way we're gonna have to turn it down to console settings, Ultra-60-1080 shouldn't be a problem for us (unless your going above 1080 of course)

Post again when you get it running though, us 780 bros are starting to show our age, gotta stick together ;p

I've got a 780 too and theres no possible way we're gonna have to turn it down to console settings, Ultra-60-1080 shouldn't be a problem for us (unless your going above 1080 of course)

Post again when you get it running though, us 780 bros are starting to show our age, gotta stick together ;p

Works fine for me on my 770, just had to turn it down to medium settings.

I've gotten two crashes on reloads. Just straight kicked to windows, no error messages or anything. Very annoying.

980Ti
i74770k
16gb Ram.
Win10

at 1440p settings on default, I'm getting 55-70fps, I have GSync though, so it's not really a big deal. When I had everything maxed it was closer to 50 most of the time. What settings are the killers here do you guys think?

Buburibon

I can't get it to work either. I've heard it's because Windows 10 by default leaks your real ip by routing internet traffic around the VPN, so Steam always sees your actual location. There are guides on how to supposedly disable the feature through registry tweaks, but nothing's worked for me so far.

Top Bottom