• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

Onemic

Wow, seems like everyone is running this game with either a 970, 980ti, or a Titan-x. Guess I'll be the lone dude with the R9 270. Will post how badly this game fucks up my PC considering that I couldnt max out Wolfenstein either

dogen

Wow, seems like everyone is running this game with either a 970, 980ti, or a Titan-x. Guess I'll be the lone dude with the R9 270. Will post how badly this game fucks up my PC considering that I couldnt max out Wolfenstein either

You should probably be able to play at least somewhere between xb1 and ps4 quality depending on your cpu.

Moz

I tried changing my resolution and a few other settings, now my screen is pitch black and I can't see the menus at all. Is there a video config file anywhere? I had a look in my documents folder, and also the Doom install directory but can't seem to find anything.

This happened to me. Hit alt-enter to go to windowed mode and fix the resolution. For some reason mine had jumped to 5k, which is enabled in DSR, by itself.

Use Vypr.

Also, I can't believe how well this game runs. i5 4690K, GTX 970 OC and 16GB ram. Everything is on it's highest setting aside from AA which is down to SMAA. Solid 60fps at 1080p with zero drops at all, not one. I usually have to turn down shadows at least on newer games.

Thank you I'll try that out, I had a problem earlier with it saying that it won't connect at all

Blitzhex

Well here's an update. Going offline and now I almost never drop under 60fps.

Go figure.

I'm playing in steam offline and my friend is playing it online. We have the same gfx card, but he has a much more powerful cpu and ddr4 ram, but he's getting 20 less fps than me. Could it be denuvo?

Grassy

This happened to me. Hit alt-enter to go to windowed mode and fix the resolution. For some reason mine had jumped to 5k, which is enabled in DSR, by itself.

Cheers, I think I had to do the same thing in the beta as well now I think of it. Sorted.

ViviOggi

Someone please tell me TNO2 is being developed on this glorious engine and not idTech 5... otherwise it wouldn't be unreasonable for MachineGames to scrap it all

Rip in shit idTech 5

I'm playing in steam offline and my friend is playing it online. We have the same gfx card, but he has a much more powerful cpu and ddr4 ram, but he's getting 20 less fps than me. Could it be denuvo?

Maybe.

I'll say earlier I mentioned I was getting about 55fps or so at 1440p, on medium settings with a 980ti and it seems that The Foundry was really the only level to do that. After The Foundry I've been able to keep 65~fps or so on every level since on High settings. I'm still not seeing the 90fps everyone else seems to be getting with a similar rig.

Corpekata

Banned
Why would Denuvo not be in effect in Offline mode? It's not like Denuvo syncs into Steamworks, it's a seperate thing and would still be active.

If you want to actually narrow it down, tell the friend that's having trouble to replay the section in offline mode and report back.

Blitzhex

Well game should be online for me now. I'll see how my fps changes.
My friend complained about getting low fps but didn't bother testing offline more for me :p

kinggroin

Banned

...good question. I mean, that would suck ass wouldn't it? I'm kind of wanting to play some co-op later.

Yo, this game runs really well
90-120 fps adaptive sync
Titan X, maxed 1080p
Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz.

I am excited to see what vulkan does!

The SMAA (1Tx)variant will use analytical AA (SMAA 1x) , plus a TAA that renduces shimmering in movement. TSAA is accumulating previous frames on top of the previous to super sample the image.

Glad to hear it works well on old i7s.

I have a:

i7 960 @ 4.0 Ghz
GTX 980
32 GB RAM 2400Mhz

My copy doesn't get here until tomorrow, but by the looks of it I should be fine.

Ok I got this now, but it keeps booting me back and not letting me install even though I changed my password and disabled steam guard.

I'm using a VPN in New Zealand so could that be the problem?

EDIT: Never mind

Currently running:

i5-2500K (no OC)
4gb ram
GTX 560 Ti

Spending as little as possible, what will I need to upgrade to to run this at 1080p with consistent 120fps? sp and mp. Ultra high graphics NOT necessary but but would like them to be decent.

I'm guessing a GTX 970 wouldn't be enough?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
game is bugged and on load up screens for logos it goes less than one fps

windows 10 gtx 770 and a core i5 at 3.2ghz with 8gb ram

No wait never mind, I got it!

12a5652a9ab6d2437ca51b1749a4210f.png

Performance is strange on my rig:

6600k overclocked to 4.4 ghz
8 Gb Ram
Asus Strix R9 390

Running between 70-110 fps for the most part on a mix of High and Ultra settings at 1080p, with massive drops to the mid to low 40s in some places. These places aren't even ones that seem like they should be intensive, like staring up close at a computer monitor. The drops don't seem correlate with what is on screen.

MDave

Oh man, 4 hours to download wasn't bad, but the 1 hour its taking to unpack the game, that is nuts. I guess another hour of actually installing, or its ready to play after unpacking?

abracadaver

8 Gb Ram
Asus Strix R9 390

Running between 70-110 fps for the most part on a mix of High and Ultra settings at 1080p, with massive drops to the mid to low 40s in some places. These places aren't even ones that seem like they should be intensive, like staring up close at a computer monitor. The drops don't seem correlate with what is on screen.

Do you have the new driver installed?

Woorloog

Banned

8 Gb Ram
Asus Strix R9 390

Very similar setup to mine expect i have 16 GB memory and no CPU overlock. Latest AMD drivers. FPS does drop to high 30s, low 40s at some places, usually with extensive amount of smoke, particles or transparent windows. I run mostly high settings, with particles at medium and only FXAA. Oddly, it doesn't seem to matter if i set some things higher or lower. I mostly got bored of tweaking the settings, probably could just set things to almost ultra...

deoee

i5-6600k @4.1
16 GB DDR4 Ram
GTX 970

latest Nvidia driver

Everything on ultra, turned MotionBlur off and AA to SMAA
Runs @ 70~100 fps constantly. VSync seems to stutter or lag (at least it feels strange) the game so I turned it off

Alexious

Yo, this game runs really well
90-120 fps adaptive sync
Titan X, maxed 1080p
Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz.

I am excited to see what vulkan does!

The SMAA (1Tx)variant will use analytical AA (SMAA 1x) , plus a TAA that renduces shimmering in movement. TSAA is accumulating previous frames on top of the previous to super sample the image.

Titan X and you only go 1080P? Try 1440P at the very least.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
i5 4460
gtx 970
16 gb ram
Seems to run pretty well. I have everything on ultra with SMAA and I haven't dropped below 55 fps running at 1920x1080.

Cool thanks. Can't do much while downloading freaking 44GB!!! GOD and i though xbox one were long download.

Clearly I was asking if there were new drivers specifically for doom that may actually involve SLI. But I guess they're not going to do that and I shouldn't expect that considering this engine has never supported SLI in the past. It's running fine on 1 card though so I guess that's about as good as I'm going to get until we have new GPUs. I just figured I could maybe downsample the game buuuuuut that's not in the cards.

N-Forced

Neo Member
Game running like butter on my rig at 1080p, 4790k 16gb of ram and a 980. Got everything cranked up to ultra and boy oh boy does it look good. Wasn't too sure since the official videos looked like the game had cartoon graphics but after actually playing it the graphics look real good.

Ulysses 31

Game running like butter on my rig at 1080p, 4790k 16gb of ram and a 980. Got everything cranked up to ultra and boy oh boy does it look good. Wasn't too sure since the official videos looked like the game had cartoon graphics but after actually playing it the graphics look real good.

Some settings like Shadow Quality have an even higher than Ultra settings. >.>

Grassy

i7 6700K(stock)
980Ti w/ 364.72 drivers
1440p
16gb DDR4
SSD
Ultra/maxed settings with 8 x TSAA

Averaging 60-80fps in the first few areas, looks pretty good too imo. Feels really good with a mouse/keyboard.

Oh man, 4 hours to download wasn't bad, but the 1 hour its taking to unpack the game, that is nuts. I guess another hour of actually installing, or its ready to play after unpacking?

Yes, it will be ready to play once it has unpacked the game. It will take only a few minutes on a good SSD. If you have a SSD, make sure you have decent amount of free space left on it. Like 30-40GB at least.

Onemic

i5 6600K
R9 270
16GB DDR4 RAM

Game is rough on my setup. Shadows are by far the most taxing setting oif the game. SO much so in fact that I can only run the game with shadows on low. If I run everything on low and put shadows to medium the framerate tanks to below 30FPS. I can actually run everyything on high with shadows set to low and achieve low 40s in the game. The game is so fast paced though that you really wanna be aiming for 60FPS at all times. Im gonna lower everything to medium except shadows and see if I can at least get a minimum of 45 or so frames. Currently I get a minimum in the low 30s.

correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt the tech demo of the 1080 running at 55-60fps without Vulkan and up to 200fps with it? Wouldnt that mean all cards would gain a nice boost from it?

Top Bottom