• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

Xyber

I turned down basically everything to low to get a stable 110-130fps, game still looks pretty good and feels smooth as butter.

jediyoshi

Video with the performance metrics option on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW-xi0mQuNM

i5-750 @ 4GHz
8 GB DDR3

Hard time recording. Fraps kills performance. Can only record with ShadowPlay if I start the recording on the desktop first and alt tab back. Crashes ShadowPlay after about 2 minutes and the video that is captured has stuttered audio.

Grassy

nyCyv1g.png

Awesome, hopefully it's sooner rather than later. 4K/60+ fps here we come!

i7 2600 @ 3.4 (3.8 w/ Turbo Boost)
GTX 760 2GB
8 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

720p at low settings... still comes with constant framedrops. Prior to this, I've ran Garden Warfare 2 and Fallout 4 at 1080p 60fps on a mix of medium to high settings. Is it weird for me to feel like this game isn't optimized to its fullest? I'm not trying to max out visuals or anything, and I don't feel like this card should be falling behind like this, especially not this soon, and especially if the PS4 is handling it fine. Yeah, a console can push out a bit more performance than a PC can for obvious reasons, but even then, my parts aren't exactly weaker compared to the hardware there.

The strange part is, the performance squeezed out of running it at 720p on low is insignificant. Yeah, the framerate is a bit more stable, but I still get hits to around 30fps, which is basically the lowest I was getting at 1080p medium. Honestly, I can deal with a lower resolution granted the frames are better, but being unable to hit a consistent 60fps at 720p low settings? I just feel like they didn't even try optimizing for older cards. I feel I should be able to hit that, at least.

I'm pretty disappointed. This card has been able to handle recent stuff like Rise of the Tomb Raider and Dark Souls 3 just fine based on other's accounts, so it definitely doesn't feel like it's time for an upgrade. I'm regretting my purchase, but not much I can do now. I might wait for the inevitable Vulkan support and hope that it helps out before I play again, but I'm doubting it'll do more than make 720p playable. That can only do so much, right?

Wollan

Latest tweet:

Tiago Sousa ‏@idSoftwareTiago 6m6 minutes ago
Tip: running at 4k? it's a bit of gpu waste to process all those pixels - use the resolution scalling slider in Advanced Menu to gain perf

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean here.
The game runs even with virtual texturing page at high, though as mentioned I do get a strange stutter or chugging effect. And you're saying I should put Virtual Texturing to low and still get the hiccup? I guess I don't quite understand the advice.

He is saying you need to reduce the virtual page texturing to low, which will still not be enough, hence you ALSO need to reduce the internal game resolution to reduce the framebuffer size (i.e. the thing having trouble fitting into your VRAM, causing the game to chug when it pulls from system memory over to VRAM).

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
looks like it's only my CPU that falls short of the recommended specs. is that for 1080p 60fps? it recommends an i7-3770 but i only have an i5-4590. as far as i know the i5-4590 should be more powerful but lacking hyperthreading. will this be an issue? what will my specs get me roughly?

i5-4590, 16GB, R9 290 4GB (w/~11% OC)

ISee

looks like it's only my CPU that falls short of the recommended specs. is that for 1080p 60fps? it recommends an i7-3770 but i only have an i5-4590. as far as i know the i5-4590 should be more powerful but lacking hyperthreading. will this be an issue? what will my specs get me roughly?

i5-4590, 16GB, R9 290 4GB (w/~11% OC)

Most probably not an issue (or not a huge one).

I don't like the way glowing items pop out when you kill enemies, makes them feel like piñatas lol.

Can you turn that off, or make atleast them less visible? (I don't have the game yet)

Keby

i5 3570 @3.4 Ghz
Gtx 970
16gb DDR3 Ram

Running at a fairly stable frame rate of 120fps at 1080p. Mix of high and ultra settings.

This fucking game is amazing and butter smooth.

Fishook

I am tempted to pick this up, only because I fancy a single player shooter (nowt else to play).

Getting a new rig in a few months thought.

i7 2600K
770 2gb
!6gb Ram

looking to play Low/Med settings at 1080, 60 Fps would be nice.

I don't like the way glowing items pop out when you kill enemies, makes them feel like piñatas lol.

Can you turn that off, or make atleast them less visible? (I don't have the game yet)

it does not happen with every kill and has a avariable amount when using gory kills / chainsaw. BUt sadly, now way to darken them atm for you.

I have found myself saying "you must have big guts" when I chainsaw something. lol

Impulsor

anyone tried this at 3440 x1440 with a 980 ti?

I still wasn't able to play, got to get home from work and curious on the results

When will vulkan be implemented into the game?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
anyone tried this at 3440 x1440 with a 980 ti?

I still wasn't able to play, got to get home from work and curious on the results

When will vulkan be implemented into the game?

There's no firm date just yet.

Pakoe

Setting the max pre rendered frames option to 1 in the nvidia control panel gave me a slight boost, hovering around 100fps now instead of 80fps.

I have the following:

Geforce 970GTX
i5 Haswell, 4670k, overclocked at 3.9ghz
16gb RAM

how well will it run on my PC? I'm the kind of guy that does everything at max, while using FXAA. Would I be able to do that with 60fps?

EDIT. Any optimization guides yet? Can't find it. Those are incredibly helpful for me.

samn

I have the following:

Geforce 970GTX
16gb RAM

how well will it run on my PC? I'm the kind of guy that does everything at max, while using FXAA. Would I be able to do that with 60fps?

EDIT. Any optimization guides yet? Can't find it. Those are incredibly helpful for me.

yes

I have the following:

Geforce 970GTX
16gb RAM

You dont need any guides, just smash that ultra button and you are good to go into the silky smooth demon slaying.

i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
16GB 1600 DDR3 RAM
EVGA 750 Ti 2GB

Playing the game at 900p since that's my monitor native resolution.

Game plays alright on the high preset with shadows on medium and DOF AA turned off. Motion blur and chromatic aberration turned off also with AA options at TSSAA(8TX). Lots of screen tearing with adaptive v-sync on, but it manages to stay at 60fps most of the time.

Frames will drop during heavy moments and putting the dynamic resolution to 80 does seem to help keeping the FPS at 60. Putting the on option on v-sync will make make the fps drop to 30 at random points and during battles especially when doing a glory kill. If you care for multiplayer then it plays about the same just with less screen tearing going on.

This is with the new Nvidia drivers btw. The game with older drivers ran crappier.

Grabbed the new drivers and I'm incredibly relieved. Didn't expect them to make so much of a difference! 1080p on medium settings gets me 50-60fps for the most part, with drops to 40fps when things get busy. Going to mess around a bit more with settings tomorrow, it's late over here.
i7 2600 @ 3.4 (3.8 w/ Turbo Boost)
GTX 760 2GB
8 GB RAM @ 1600MHz
It could probably be a tad better, but I'm just relieved that it's playable now, honestly. That's all I wanted.

Frozone

i7-920
16G RAM
Titan X
1T Evo SSD
4k TV

Running on Ultra @ 4k yields between 30s-40FPS. Vulkan should put me at 60FPS consistently.

1fps intro movies >___________<

I added this to the Steam launch option for the game during the beta because of the intro movies playing up:

+set com_skipIntroVideo 1

I am still downloading the game so haven't been able to test what the full release does.

i5 4460
ASUS Strix GTX 970 @ stock / 1438 MHz core, 7822 MHz mem.
16 Gb DRR3 1866 MHz
Samsung 850 Evo 250 Gb

I was initially running with vertical sync set to on, however I would seem to get the occasional stutter / hitch. Given that the frame-rate was so smooth I found it kind of annoying, so I decided to disable v-sync. Doing so removed the occasional stuttering / hitching while the game now runs around 78-85 FPS with no dips below 60 FPS at the 970's stock clocks.

I have every setting on Ultra at 1080p and am honestly blown away by how fast and smooth the game is. I can't tell if the game is just very basic visually or incredibly well optimized relative to its peers. Getting ~60 FPS in other modern games like Rise of the Tomb Raider required turning some settings down and over-clocking, while attempting to get around 85 FPS average would require changing most settings to medium or low. I don't know of a single AAA game that has run this well out of the box... ever!

noomi

When I enable skip intro the game takes forever to load in, almost as if it was trying to skip the intro but can't... just sits on a dark screen for 30 seconds...

Anyone?

xVodevil

Using borderless mode, already being in the game for a while, after some alt+tabbing sometimes my fps drops and stays around 20-25 fps. Kinda annoying, have to restart the game to fix it. Wondering what might cause it.

b0bbyJ03

i5 4460
ASUS Strix GTX 970 @ stock / 1438 MHz core, 7822 MHz mem.
16 Gb DRR3 1866 MHz
Samsung 850 Evo 250 Gb

I was initially running with vertical sync set to on, however I would seem to get the occasional stutter / hitch. Given that the frame-rate was so smooth I found it kind of annoying, so I decided to disable v-sync. Doing so removed the occasional stuttering / hitching while the game now runs around 78-85 FPS with no dips below 60 FPS at the 970's stock clocks.

I have every setting on Ultra at 1080p and am honestly blown away by how fast and smooth the game is. I can't tell if the game is just very basic visually or incredibly well optimized relative to its peers. Getting ~60 FPS in other modern games like Rise of the Tomb Raider required turning some settings down and over-clocking, while attempting to get around 85 FPS average would require changing most settings to medium or low. I don't know of a single AAA game that has run this well out of the box... ever!

holy shit, is this for real? i just bought a new 144hz G sync monitor so I can't tell you how excited I am to play something over 60fps for the first time ever (I've never even seen it before). Hopefully my 980 can get me some good frame rates at 1440p.

Erasus

Is anyone running this on a 7870/R9 270 2GB? How does it run?

I have mine paired with a i7-4790k, 32GB RAM and Win10 x64, so GPU is the weak link for me.

MP beta ran okay, but SP should run better?

Painguy

I'm probs outta luck so give it to me straight GAF. Targeting 1080p

Desktop

GTX 580 1.5GB OC'd 20%
i7 2600k 4.8ghz
8GB

LAPTOP

i7-4810MQ 2.8GHZ
GTX 870M 6GB
8GB

I feel like VRAM is gonna kill me here. I know titanfall had a hard time on my desktop cuz of vram issues, but my 580 obviously has more ommpf to it aside from that.

Only ran beta on my laptop since desktop is in another city atm. Ran about 30fps. dont know what settings.

Was waiting for HBM2 to upgrade since I wanna be super VR ready, but looks like I gotta wait.

Top Bottom