• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is an open source multi platform graphics API developed by the Khronos Group. It is a replacement for the old OpenGL API that Khronos has been maintaining since 1998. It is also an alternative to Microsoft's DirectX 12. Right now Vulkan is still a bit in it's infancy, and Doom makes the best use of it in a game and it gets much better performance than Doom's OpenGL renderer.

Thanks for the explanation... I kinda knew it was a graphics API but didn't know it was developed by same people who did OpenGL and that it's supposed to replace it.

NVN is based on Vulkan (there was a job posting/LinkedIn profile a short while back that confirmed it). My guess is that it's pretty much Vulkan with a variety of extensions which expose any hardware features which don't get properly utilised with standard Vulkan (such as conservative rasterization). They shouldn't have to "switch to NVN", instead they would just decide which of those features are worth using, and change only the relevant parts of the renderer, rather than translating the whole thing to an entirely different API.

Cool, thanks. I'm excited to see what they came up with.

I wonder if we'll get a keynote about Vulkan on Switch, lol.

Thanks for the explanation... I kinda knew it was a graphics API but didn't know it was developed by same people who did OpenGL and that it's supposed to replace it.

It's also based on AMD's Mantle, which was the catalyst for Microsoft releasing DX12.

Thraktor

The idea is that it allows the same kinds of low-level optimisations that console APIs have allowed, but does it independently of the hardware, so you could use the same API across Windows, Linux, Android, Switch, etc., and get good performance across them all. Which means for Switch, instead of Nintendo coming up with their own completely proprietary API (which would have meant lots of work for both them and every developer who wants to bring their games to the platform), they just use Vulkan (with some extensions), and it becomes a lot easier for everyone involved, while still allowing developers to get the performance they used to get out of proprietary console APIs.

Cool, thanks. I'm excited to see what they came up with.

I wonder if we'll get a keynote about Vulkan on Switch, lol.

Ha, I kind of doubt that, Nintendo isn't exactly known for giving tech-heavy GDC talks. Although frankly I think they should, a better GDC presence couldn't harm their relationship with western developers.

The idea is that it allows the same kinds of low-level optimisations that console APIs have allowed, but does it independently of the hardware, so you could use the same API across Windows, Linux, Android, Switch, etc., and get good performance across them all. Which means for Switch, instead of Nintendo coming up with their own completely proprietary API (which would have meant lots of work for both them and every developer who wants to bring their games to the platform), they just use Vulkan (with some extensions), and it becomes a lot easier for everyone involved, while still allowing developers to get the performance they used to get out of proprietary console APIs.

Wow that sounds like some black magic wizardry. How can a hardware-independent multiplatform API give the kind of low-level optimizations and performance of hardware-specific API? Sounds like something that breaks the very definition of the thing. And is there still an incentive for console makers to develop proprietary APIs?

Ha, I kind of doubt that, Nintendo isn't exactly known for giving tech-heavy GDC talks. Although frankly I think they should, a better GDC presence couldn't harm their relationship with western developers.

I was talking about ID giving a keynote. They like to talk about the magic they pull off. If Doom on Switch is a solid 60 and looks comparable to the bigger consoles (like the reveal video), they'll want to brag about how they did it...

Yes, it does. It's a sequel that explicitly picks up in the weeks after TNO. Short version: Nazis use
ancient Jewish
super science to win WW2. Blaskowicz wakes up from a decade long coma and decides to go Nazi killing.
Really? I thought it was DOOM tech... Wolfenstein is the story of Doom Guy's grandfather...

Or, was it the misuse of
ancient Jewish superscience
that led to the events in Doom?

Was this something revealed in The Old Blood? I haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Well, not sure which Marine is in the new Doom series, but Wolfenstein's protagonist is the grandfather of the Marine in the first Doom games, at least. I assumed that the intro to Doom 2016
and subsequent story bits found in hell
alluded to the resurrection of the original Doom Guy... B.J. Blazkowicz, William's (Wolfenstein) grandson
who fought his way through hell killing every demon he saw until he made it to the big guy and killed him too.

Murdoch

It's just hit me. I remember just before the switch launched people interviewed a few guys from respawn entertainment. They were asked about a potential port to the switch and they laughed the whole idea off saying 'not in a million years'. Is this kind of thing still out of the question or would the longer draw distances kill the switch?

TF2 would be epic on the switch 720p 60fps

Oregano

It's just hit me. I remember just before the switch launched people interviewed a few guys from respawn entertainment. They were asked about a potential port to the switch and they laughed the whole idea off saying 'not in a million years'. Is this kind of thing still out of the question or would the longer draw distances kill the switch?

Respawn was started by Infinity Ward guys, who laughed at the prospect of the Wii running COD4 but Treyarch ported the game fine.(weirdly second post about Modern Warfare Reflex in the last ten minutes)

TF2 runs better on my PC than Doom.

They could do it, they just aren't interested in using the time and resources necessary to make it happen.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how smart Bethesda is being right now regarding Switch. They are going to completely dominate the M-rated category on this system for quite some time, simply for the fact that few other western pubs are taking the console seriously yet.

sleepnaught

Would prefer 60 fps obviously, but Ill take 30 fps still. The Switch is 99% portable for me so I live with a few sacrifices to make AAA titles come to Switch.

They could do it, they just aren't interested in using the time and resources necessary to make it happen.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how smart Bethesda is being right now regarding Switch. They are going to completely dominate the M-rated category on this system for quite some time, simply for the fact that few other western pubs are taking the console seriously yet.
I am quite sure that CoD would have done well on Switch but it's MIA. Bethesda should reap the rewards.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Seems it was only yesterday some gaf figures frequented nintendo switch speculation threads, jumping right in middle of discussion and explaining to everybody how switch could not possibly run "AAA" titles, and all such talk was "fanboy dreams, LOL". Good times, good times.

Seems it was only yesterday some gaf figures frequented nintendo switch speculation threads, jumping right in middle of discussion and explaining to everybody how switch could not possibly run "AAA" titles, and all such talk was "fanboy dreams, LOL". Good times, good times.
I wanna see how Doom performs before I say anything. 60fps will be a dream, 30fps is... doable, but it likely will mean not as much support from 3rd parties

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I wanna see how Doom performs before I say anything. 60fps will be a dream, 30fps is... doable, but it likely will mean not as much support from 3rd parties
You lost me here. Care to elaborate?

ozfunghi

Yeah, the fact the press has already played the game suggests Bethesda is confident in its quality. Interested to see the previews this week.

Is Doom a CPU heavy game? Because with these graphical downgrades, i would expect it would be able to taget 60fps since the GPU performance isn't exactly lightyears removed from that of for instance an XBO.

There was a guy the other day downplaying these games as nothing to talk about since they are not as big as Destiny or Battlefront.

Of course, when it was pointed out to him that FIFA is bigger than both, the argument shifted to the Switch version not being Frostbite....

OmegaDL50

They have former naughty dog and crytek people there.

We know low end machines on vulkan can do 60fps and switch is stronger than the machine in the video.

As some of us including myself called it this game on the platform will be a gem.

Well now if that PC can run it at 60fps then I don't foresee the Switch having problems.

Switch also has the benefit of being a closed platform so those responsible for the port can optimize the game to specifically run on it's specification.

All in all, this sounds good.

What is the most demanding game that is playable on the Nvidia Shield? We can probably use that is a measuring stick of what the Switch is really capable of.

lol

Peach said:
DJtBr0eVoAAyqSe.jpg

ozfunghi

Why do you guys always post that bad off screen video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBX3-tIB8-Y

They have former naughty dog and crytek people there.

We know low end machines on vulkan can do 60fps and switch is stronger than the machine in the video.

As some of us including myself called it this game on the platform will be a gem.

Someone should see how a bunch of 3rd party games run on similarly spec'd PC's. COD, AC, BF, GTA...

Space_nut

Is Doom a CPU heavy game? Because with these graphical downgrades, i would expect it would be able to taget 60fps since the GPU performance isn't exactly lightyears removed from that of for instance an XBO.

Well it's about 1/3 Xbox One gpu so some downgrades is expected

Doom is not a CPU intensive game. There aren't any ragdoll physics and there's very little interaction in the environment compared to the likes of Doom 3.

A Intel Core 2 Duo, an 2008 processor is capable enough to go above 60fps.

People forget that the Jaguar are very weak to begin with.

Doom is not a CPU intensive game. There aren't any ragdoll physics and there's very little interaction in the environment compared to the likes of Doom 3.

A Intel Core 2 Duo, an 2008 processor is capable enough to go above 60fps.

People forget that the Jaguar are very weak to begin with.

Really, the worst the game does to the CPU tends to come from sudden bursts of effects, like when you destroy a Gore Nest.

How is it possible on Switch though? I mean isn't Wolfie2 using the latest idtech engine?

And snake pass, SMT HD, project octoparh, and many more use the latest version of Unreal Engine. The latest version of Unity runs on Switch. The latest version of CryEngine runs on Switch. The same engine that powers The Divison runs on Switch. It's no surprise iD Tech 6 runs on Switch.

GDGF

Soothsayer
And snake pass, SMT HD, project octoparh, and many more use the latest version of Unreal Engine. The latest version of Unity runs on Switch. The latest version of CryEngine runs on Switch. The same engine that powers The Divison runs on Switch. It's no surprise iD Tech 6 runs on Switch.

This post makes me all tingly inside.

Painguy

I think peeps are really overestimating this vulkan thing. Both Nintendo and Sony have generally had fairly low-level GFX API's that gave em extra control. MS is the only company that hasn't really been as good in that sense.

What running games like these really come down to is smart approximations of standard effects, and other tricky optimizations.

Top Bottom